2010-2011 University of Maryland Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
I can't stand people like you. Anyways if you really want to know (not that it matters) MCAT: 35-37 GPA 3.7-3.9.
:laugh::laugh::laugh: In his face

Members don't see this ad.

anyone on the continued to review list accepted this season yet? and does anyone know when they will finally release the waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how long it takes for applicants interviewed to hear back about admissions?

Anyone know how long it takes for applicants interviewed to hear back about admissions?

Micky Foxwell tries to let people know within a month of their interview date, and that's right about when I heard.

Good luck.

Does anyone know anything about the Professional School Scholarships? I believe they range from $2,000 to $4,000 for instate students?

Any current students been awarded this? Is it strictly need-based?

anyone on the continued to review list accepted this season yet? and does anyone know when they will finally release the waitlist?

I was wondering this too. I interviewed in late September and have been on this "list" since almost November. I've sent them updates and letters of intent, and I just don't know what to expect as far as a timeframe or anything is concerned? Anybody know anything at least from last year? Thanks

so I received a weird financial aid email from UMD, it starts with

"Welcome to the University of Maryland Baltimore

As you navigate through the process of receiving financial aid, you will need to access the SURFS system."

and ends with

"Thank you for your cooperation. We wish you a successful academic year at UMB."

and I was able to make a UMBid and everything. The thing is, I didn't receive any acceptance letters from mail or email so this financial aid thing was a bit weird. But I wouldn't be able to make a UMBid if I wasn't accepted right???

Prism328,

Don't quote me on this, but in last year's thread this happened to couple of people and they got their acceptance letter few days/weeks later... They said something like FinAid office is more on top of things than admissions office :)

Prism328,

Don't quote me on this, but in last year's thread this happened to couple of people and they got their acceptance letter few days/weeks later... They said something like FinAid office is more on top of things than admissions office :)

yea I called them and they told me my acceptance package should arrive soon. What a weird but awesome email :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone please post a link to 2011 match list?

got my award letter by email in SURFS today. It went to my spam folder in gmail, so be on the lookout for it!! check your spam boxes!

anyway, HOLY COW $83,000 cost of attendance for out of state....

Yea got my financial aid letter today. $59k COA instate. Definitely underwhelmed by the aid package overall.

yea, I got my financial aid "award" as well. Does anyone know if UMD actually gives scholarships or where to apply for them?

yea, I got my financial aid "award" as well. Does anyone know if UMD actually gives scholarships or where to apply for them?

Yeah, if you search this thread you'll find some people receiving scholarship offers in the last few months. I didn't have to apply to receive one, just got a letter one day. I suspect they've given out most major scholarship offers at this point but it never hurts to call and ask.

Welcome to life as a medical student.

For those who were asking, there are a couple extra things you can fill out to try and get extra free money. Mostly this is only available to Maryland residents. Find it all on the maryland financial aid website here: http://www.umaryland.edu/fin/state.html

The majority of these things will give you a few extra thousand a year $2-3k, sometimes $5k. Every bit of extra free money you can get is worth it, but don't base your decisions to attend Maryland on them - just because you get them first year does not mean you will get them in subsequent years. You might and you might not.

Also a tip - once you're at Maryland, try to avoid talking to anyone at the FinAid office who isn't Pat Scott. She is the liaison for the medical school specifically. From personal experience (and that of many of my classmates) she's the only competent person in the office.

officially withdrew acceptance.....the cost was just too high :(

great school though and best of luck to everyone, especially those on waitlist/pending decisions!!

Yeah, if you search this thread you'll find some people receiving scholarship offers in the last few months. I didn't have to apply to receive one, just got a letter one day. I suspect they've given out most major scholarship offers at this point but it never hurts to call and ask.

did you get a snail mail letter for scholarships or was it just listed in SURFs?

I believe the continued-to-be-reviewed people are moved onto the official waitlist sometime in May. They will also send you a letter telling you where you're on the waitlist.

So does this mean that Univ. of Maryland does not put anyone on the waitlist until may 15th? After searching this thread I have not seen anyone who has been waitlisted post-interview. I am currently on the "continue to review" list post-interview. Just wondering if that is slightly better than being waitlisted or not - unless it IS actually the waitlist.

So does this mean that Univ. of Maryland does not put anyone on the waitlist until may 15th? After searching this thread I have not seen anyone who has been waitlisted post-interview. I am currently on the "continue to review" list post-interview. Just wondering if that is slightly better than being waitlisted or not - unless it IS actually the waitlist.

People who are on the "continue to review" list will be place onto the waitlist in mid-May. The waitlist is separated into upper-half and bottom-half. Waitlisted candidates who are on the upper-half will have good chance of receiving acceptance. As for people who are on the bottom-half of the list, it is essentially a rejection..

Is there anyone who interviewed at Maryland in March and received an acceptance?

People who are on the "continue to review" list will be place onto the waitlist in mid-May. The waitlist is separated into upper-half and bottom-half. Waitlisted candidates who are on the upper-half will have good chance of receiving acceptance. As for people who are on the bottom-half of the list, it is essentially a rejection..

My understanding is that when applicants are re-reviewed after being put on the hold list, they can be accepted immediately, wait-listed or rejected.

Hey Guys,

Just got my acceptance package and yes I interviewed in March! Did anyone else notice that there is no background check or deposit requested in the package? GL to you all.

Got my acceptance package today too!!! Can't believe it. Got the financial aid email first and then called the admissions office and was told the good news. Packet came in the mail later in the day. Interviewed middle of March. Feel free to PM with any questions!

Hey Guys,

Just got my acceptance package and yes I interviewed in March! Did anyone else notice that there is no background check or deposit requested in the package? GL to you all.

Congrats on the acceptance! I believe Maryland does not participate in the Certiphi background check, and there is no deposit required to hold your spot in the class.

Ok now, I've been on "re-review" since my interview. When are we gonna hear something? Let's go! Anyone who got a Maryland acceptance but isn't going there, withdraw your application! There are people waiting for spots! And Admissions Committee, (I know you guys read this) we're dyin' out here! Please start sending out acceptances! Have you guys started re-reviewing applications yet?

What is the largest grant anyone has gotten from the Financial Aid department? I received 2000 a semester (4000/year), and was wondering where that falls relative to other people.

Ok now, I've been on "re-review" since my interview. When are we gonna hear something? Let's go! Anyone who got a Maryland acceptance but isn't going there, withdraw your application! There are people waiting for spots! And Admissions Committee, (I know you guys read this) we're dyin' out here! Please start sending out acceptances! Have you guys started re-reviewing applications yet?

You're unlikely to see much movement until after May 15th. Until forced, most people hold multiple acceptances and, if the pattern holds from years past, the class is oversubscribed until the May 15th deadline. Once that rolls around, they will know how many spots they have left to fill.

I received a letter in the mail today that I have been placed on the waitlist. Not sure what my chances are at this point but hopefully I'm high enough on the list that I stand a real chance. It's good to finally hear something and I really hope I end up getting accepted for this fall. I haven't gotten into any of the other schools that I applied to and I really, really want to go to Maryland!

I also got the waitlist letter today. Upper half of waitlist with a totally of 206 waitlistees...eep.

They also said in the letter that "the class is currently oversubscribed and it is unlikely that many positions will become available". Do they say this every year or is it specific to this year?

Placed in the bottom half of the waitlist (in-state). Guess it's finally time to leave home.

Good luck to those in the top half and still have a shot.

I also got the waitlist letter today. Upper half of waitlist with a totally of 206 waitlistees...eep.

They also said in the letter that "the class is currently oversubscribed and it is unlikely that many positions will become available". Do they say this every year or is it specific to this year?

Got the same letter today. Stopped reading after I saw wait list. ****, so its really overfilled and unlikely many spots will open up? I'm in the top half as well, but as far as I'm concerned, it means nothing. So bummed right now. In state, number one choice. This blows

same letter

Just wondering how you know this stuff regarding "upper-half" waitlist applicants? If it's true, great stuff to hear. Speaking from experience or word of mouth or what? Thanks, I am really hoping you are right.

Withdrew my acceptance today. Instate.
Good luck to all!

I've heard the class is oversubscribed....someone that went to an informal second look was told that 220 applicants are holding a seat at UMB....that's a lot. Blah

Does anyone know if there will be any real movement on the waitlist after next week (May 15th)? If the 15th is the deadline for people with multiple acceptances to choose one place, once those spots open up, are the only other spots that can open later on just from people who changed their minds about medical school?

How enforced is the May 15th deadline? Will there still be people holding multiple spots even after the deadline?

It was a really tough call, but I just declined my seat (OOS). Good luck to you all!

I've heard the class is oversubscribed....someone that went to an informal second look was told that 220 applicants are holding a seat at UMB....that's a lot. Blah

ahhh!

The University of Maryland's medical school has one of the largest research budgets; 18th largest according to the website. Why then is it ranked 38 in the US News research rankings? I would expect it to be at least in the top twenty-five.

Waitlists must start moving tomorrow...hopefully! Let's post if anyone gets a call? yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.