2010-2011 University of Maryland Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure you don't have to worry. I think it was just because I live like half an hour away from the school. It's not a dinner for accepted students or anything, it's a function the school is having where I'm tagging along sort of thing.

I was accepted back in October, and the only thing I've heard from UMD is the email on Jan 10 congratulating us and telling us to join the official facebook group.

hmm crap, I didn't get any emails about joining the official facebook group or being congratulated. it's somewhat of a relief about the dinner not being an official thing....but still. I'll have to doublecheck with admissions that I haven't been forgotten about!

Members don't see this ad.

I mean the Merit Scholarship letter. I'm still waiting on my W2 to fill out my financial aid form. As for OOS cost, they gave us a packet during the Financial Aid presentation on interview day that had a cost breakdown for in and out of staters.

Also, is anyone going to the Dinner they're holding Feb 5th? I wouldn't mind seeing a friendly face.

Accepted OOSer here, but I go to school relatively nearby. I too have not heard anything vis-a-vis a dinner. Would like to go though, just to possibly meet some people. What kinda function is it? Worth calling the admissions office over?

I was accepted last night - 1/24/11! I interviewed on Jan 15, 2011!!! Yay!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who were put in the "continue to review" category, have you guys heard anything back or been offered an interview spot?

Hi everyone. I've been lurking on SDN for a while, but I don't think I've ever posted. Even though there's quite a bit of misinformation on here, I certainly value this site. Will do my darndest to start being a more active contributor.

I am a non-trad who completed his post-bac at UMD College Park after receiving his B.S. there in 2005. I interviewed at UMDSOM on 15 December 2010, and I received my acceptance letter 21 January 2011. As UMD is my top choice, I will be attending starting in August. So glad the application process is over.

I look forward to quitting my job (teaching HS is not for me) and making the move from inside the DC beltway to inside the Bmore beltway. I also look forward to meeting the rest of you (and reconnecting with those with whom I took classes in CP. I know there's bound to be some of you on here.). See you all in August. Hell yeah class of 2015.

:biglove:

I'm starting to look for housing but it's a little intimidating, especially since I've never moved this far away from home. I was considering Fayette Square because I figured having a furnished apartment surrounded by other students might make the transition from the west coast a bit easier. But there seems to be a lot negative opinions about this place, not to mention the high rent.

Can anyone recommend good housing options for someone completely unfamiliar with Baltimore? Also, what's a good way to find roommates? It doesn't seem like UMB has a formal system set up for this.

I'm starting to look for housing but it's a little intimidating, especially since I've never moved this far away from home. I was considering Fayette Square because I figured having a furnished apartment surrounded by other students might make the transition from the west coast a bit easier. But there seems to be a lot negative opinions about this place, not to mention the high rent.

Can anyone recommend good housing options for someone completely unfamiliar with Baltimore? Also, what's a good way to find roommates? It doesn't seem like UMB has a formal system set up for this.

How far away do you want to live from campus? Fayette Square is literally right next to campus which seems really convenient. I live in Federal Hill which is a little over a mile away from campus, so I was planning to either bike or take the bus (there is the Circulator which is free) or drive (maybe occasionally).

Fed Hill is pretty sweet too because it is mostly young professionals and has a good amount of restaurants and bars. There are also the Otterbein, Fells Point, and Canton neighborhoods. There are usually plenty of rooms for rent that you can find on Craigslist in those areas. But that might be difficult for you since you are on the West coast.

Have you checked out the facebook pages? There may be some people who have rooms for rent on there.

holy crap my fears came true about not having heard anything from UMD since my acceptance package in November.

I called today, and apparently they never received my letter back with my signature signing I accept their invitation to the class of 2015. they were withdrawing my application TODAY because they assumed I wasn't interested. apparently, you're supposed to get a letter back confirming receipt of your acceptance.

my heart is still racing at the fact that I may have lost out on this acceptance! I'm not sure if I'm definitely attending or not, but I would like to hear back on financial aid information at least....

I'll be mailing another copy of the letter (good thing I photocopy things!) to them, and praying that the lady on the phone meant it when she said I'm okay now.

Canton and Fells Point are two of the better neighborhoods in Bmore, and neither is super far. Personally, though, I think my girlfriend and I are going to look at places in Charles Village (hipster part of town, right by Maryland Institute College of Art) and Locust Point (kind of an up and coming part of the city near Federal Hill).

Baltimore is full of young professionals from all over the state. They gravitate toward the city because it's cheap (especially compared to DC) and there's a good social scene. Baltimore has a bad rap, but there are plenty of nice places to live. Just do your research. Craigslist is a great place to find roommates. BTW I would never pay the inflated rent for school sponsored housing, if you are considering that.

How far away do you want to live from campus? Fayette Square is literally right next to campus which seems really convenient. I live in Federal Hill which is a little over a mile away from campus, so I was planning to either bike or take the bus (there is the Circulator which is free) or drive (maybe occasionally).

Fed Hill is pretty sweet too because it is mostly young professionals and has a good amount of restaurants and bars. There are also the Otterbein, Fells Point, and Canton neighborhoods. There are usually plenty of rooms for rent that you can find on Craigslist in those areas. But that might be difficult for you since you are on the West coast.

Have you checked out the facebook pages? There may be some people who have rooms for rent on there.

Canton and Fells Point are two of the better neighborhoods in Bmore, and neither is super far. Personally, though, I think my girlfriend and I are going to look at places in Charles Village (hipster part of town, right by Maryland Institute College of Art) and Locust Point (kind of an up and coming part of the city near Federal Hill).

Baltimore is full of young professionals from all over the state. They gravitate toward the city because it's cheap (especially compared to DC) and there's a good social scene. Baltimore has a bad rap, but there are plenty of nice places to live. Just do your research. Craigslist is a great place to find roommates. BTW I would never pay the inflated rent for school sponsored housing, if you are considering that.

Hey thanks for the responses. School housing does seem expensive but I was considering it for the first year because it seems like the easiest option for someone coming from far away, who doesn't know anyone in the area. I'm averse to looking for craigslist roommates because I've had some bad experiences with that in the past, and considering I won't be able to meet the person first makes it more of a risk. I'd really like to live with and be around UMB students the first year and it seems like school housing might be the best option for that. It's pricey but I'll be able to handle the extra cost.

Besides cost, are there any other glaring weaknesses to school housing, specifically Fayette Square Towers? I've ruled out Pescault Row because I'd hate sleeping on a twin size bed and these apartments seem really tiny.

I just got in and I am really excited. I already live in Federal Hill but that parking is HORRIBLE. I would not want to have to worry about coming home to find parking every night. I am looking at getting a place in Camden Court. I would probably want one other roommate. If anyone is interested let me know :)

Members don't see this ad :)
:D Just got the call that I was accepted.. interviewed Jan 5... very excited!!!

Interviewed 12/15. Accepted 1/12!! I feel like I am still in a dream. I can't believe this is finally coming true!!! I can't wait to start in August and meet everyone!! :love:

Interviewed 12/15. Accepted 1/12!! I feel like I am still in a dream. I can't believe this is finally coming true!!! I can't wait to start in August and meet everyone!! :love:

Are you IS or a URM?

Congrats on your acceptance!! I am looking forward to August too!!

Accepted via snail mail, interviewed 1/24.
Stats: cGPA: 3.91, MCAT: 31, OOS ...definitely coming here!

I interviewed 1/24 and got accepted by snail mail last night too! Congrats!

Does Maryland have a revisit weekend or anything?

Gratz! You interviewed the same day as I did. I'm sure we spoke. I was the tall, white, slightly older guy with big ears. Name is Shaun :)

Come to think of it… I was one of only two men there that day… bonus? ;)

See you (again) in August.

HEY CONGRATS ON THE ACCEPTANCES!!

I'm currently pre-interview hold (my last letter didnt get in til January) and was wondering what you guys thought my chances are...here's the stuff:

29Q MCAT 3.6 cum and sci GPA Maryland Resident

NCAA DII Football Player with leadership role
Campus activities board
Student Athlete Advisory commitee member for 3 years president for 1
assorted scholar-athlete accolades
Social Fraternity Member
Academic Fraternity
Academic Honorary Member (phi kappa phi)
Athletic Honorary
Radio DJ for a year
acting on the side
Advisement and Registration/Orientation peer leadership team member 3 years captain for 2
Relay for life participant
Honors program
Toxicology research using an organism as a model system for humans (highly conserved pathways and such) and the research looks to one day have human health significance

I shadowed for 100+ hours in a clinical and surgical setting with a private ortho and a cardio/electrophysiology guy at Hopkins (who actually did the same surgery on me)

Also I am part of a selective group of students in a joint program with West Virginia University specific to medicine

please I'm looking for the most honest of opinions here...your iput is greatly appreciated!

Hey Thunder Lips, I would recommend sending in an update letter soon! Btw does anyone know if UMD will send an acknowledgement email in response to an update letter?

HEY CONGRATS ON THE ACCEPTANCES!!

I'm currently pre-interview hold (my last letter didnt get in til January) and was wondering what you guys thought my chances are...here's the stuff:

29Q MCAT 3.6 cum and sci GPA Maryland Resident

NCAA DII Football Player with leadership role
Campus activities board
Student Athlete Advisory commitee member for 3 years president for 1
assorted scholar-athlete accolades
Social Fraternity Member
Academic Fraternity
Academic Honorary Member (phi kappa phi)
Athletic Honorary
Radio DJ for a year
acting on the side
Advisement and Registration/Orientation peer leadership team member 3 years captain for 2
Relay for life participant
Honors program
Toxicology research using an organism as a model system for humans (highly conserved pathways and such) and the research looks to one day have human health significance

I shadowed for 100+ hours in a clinical and surgical setting with a private ortho and a cardio/electrophysiology guy at Hopkins (who actually did the same surgery on me)

Also I am part of a selective group of students in a joint program with West Virginia University specific to medicine

please I'm looking for the most honest of opinions here...your iput is greatly appreciated!

Hey Thunder Lips, I would recommend sending in an update letter soon! Btw does anyone know if UMD will send an acknowledgement email in response to an update letter?

I never got any form of confirmation back

Gratz! You interviewed the same day as I did. I'm sure we spoke. I was the tall, white, slightly older guy with big ears. Name is Shaun :)

Come to think of it… I was one of only two men there that day… bonus? ;)

See you (again) in August.

That is exciting that we both got in, I think I remember you. I was so nervous that day! There were so many girls haha I don't think you'd remember me, I had long brown hair and I was wearing a skirt suit.
I am very excited to start. See you in August!! :)

Anyone know much about the apartments near the school? I can find out square footage, price, etc. but I want to know about the details that won't be provided by the sales people.... was looking at sail cloth, camden, marlboro, zenith, greenhouse.

Thoughts? Personal experiences or those of friends? Thanks!

Anyone know much about the apartments near the school? I can find out square footage, price, etc. but I want to know about the details that won't be provided by the sales people.... was looking at sail cloth, camden, marlboro, zenith, greenhouse.

Thoughts? Personal experiences or those of friends? Thanks!

I have heard that Camden is the best. Malboro is supposedly relaly crappy. I am looking at moving to Camden. I had a friend that lived there and she really liked it. The Zenith and Greenhouse are pretty expensive, but I would love to live there. Maybe it would be cheaper if a few med students moved in a split the rent up.

Hi all, I was accepted Tuesday (2/22)! I got a phone call from my student interviewer and was super psyched... but I just want that acceptance package in the mail to seal the deal! There is a very high likelihood I will come here - haven't heard back from all my schools yet, but U MD is pretty tops for me.

I interviewed Feb 7. Anyone else on here interview then?
Also, anyone who is coming this year or maybe coming this year who wants to communicate/talk about neighborhoods to live/etc., contact me. I'm originally from Baltimore but haven't lived there permanently since high school.

Hi all, I was accepted Tuesday (2/22)! I got a phone call from my student interviewer and was super psyched... but I just want that acceptance package in the mail to seal the deal! There is a very high likelihood I will come here - haven't heard back from all my schools yet, but U MD is pretty tops for me.

I interviewed Feb 7. Anyone else on here interview then?
Also, anyone who is coming this year or maybe coming this year who wants to communicate/talk about neighborhoods to live/etc., contact me. I'm originally from Baltimore but haven't lived there permanently since high school.

Congratulations on the acceptance!

Last edited:
I interviewed before you, and I haven't heard anything from the school yet. Congratulations on the acceptance!

Thanks ssdk! Definitely stay engaged - send an update/letter expressing your love to Maryland :) - sometimes it really makes a difference!

I have heard that Camden is the best. Malboro is supposedly relaly crappy. I am looking at moving to Camden. I had a friend that lived there and she really liked it. The Zenith and Greenhouse are pretty expensive, but I would love to live there. Maybe it would be cheaper if a few med students moved in a split the rent up.

I knew someone who lived in Marlboro and her apartment was actually quite big, but the wall facing the outside was made of brick (on the inside of the apt.) and this made it really cold in the winter. Also, they say there is a gym, but it's barely has anything (two treadmills, an elliptical and maybe one dumbbell). But the school gym is amazing.

The Zenith is really nice, but also expensive. Camden is pretty nice and Avalon is also really nice (I know a girl who lives there and she loves it, plus the view is great).

Hi all,

I was a first time applicant this year and at the time, was confident that DO schools would be the best fit for me. I've been doing really well with interviews and have a few acceptances, although now I'm wondering if I'll ever regret going into medicine without ever checking out MD schools. Also, as a state resident, going to University of Maryland would save me some $$ and allow me to stay in the area.

Does anyone have advice about maybe an upcoming open house or who might be a helpful contact at the school?

Thanks

So I think the answer is no, but I wanted to be sure- is there going to be a second look day for Maryland at all?

I loved the school but have two great schools I'm struggling to decide between!

so i think the answer is no, but i wanted to be sure- is there going to be a second look day for maryland at all?

I loved the school but have two great schools i'm struggling to decide between!
no

I received an interview invite a few days ago from umd. I'm instate with strong ties to baltimore. My interview is in 2 weeks. Anyone know if I have a shot of straight acceptance or if its just interviewing for waitlist? I'm going regardless, i just want to know where to put my "hopeful gauge".

Maryland would be my top choice easily since its in-state. I was also put on hold in december, and have been complete since august.

Thanks

So I think the answer is no, but I wanted to be sure- is there going to be a second look day for Maryland at all?

Withdraw so you can give someone else a shot!!!

Withdraw so you can give someone else a shot!!!

Um...I really loved Maryland! And I'll probably end up there! :(

(if it wasn't clear, Maryland is one of the two great schools I'm deciding between I mentioned...)

Last edited:
I interviewed early February, and just received a letter saying that at this time they were unable to make a final decision (to accept, reject, or wait list), that this situation was not uncommon, and that the committee would re-review my application. Posts from previous years have said this might mean the wait list, but it is unclear. Anyone else in the same boat? or have insight?

I had that exact same letter last year and i ended up on waitlist. Not sure if its the same with everyone though.

Does anyone know if the class is already full by now?

I interviewed early February, and just received a letter saying that at this time they were unable to make a final decision (to accept, reject, or wait list), that this situation was not uncommon, and that the committee would re-review my application. Posts from previous years have said this might mean the wait list, but it is unclear. Anyone else in the same boat? or have insight?

Have you tried calling the admissions office? Or do you know a friend at the school who can give you a tour or something??

Anyone else get the email about the Prematriculation Summer Program (PSP) today. I can think of about a hundred other things I'd rather be doing with my last free summer before med school. Any real benefits to this program?

Anyone else get the email about the Prematriculation Summer Program (PSP) today. I can think of about a hundred other things I'd rather be doing with my last free summer before med school. Any real benefits to this program?

I got that today also. From the sound of it, I think it may be geared towards students who think they may have trouble keeping up with or adjusting to the pace of med school. From what I've seen, these types of pre-m1 programs are offered at many med schools.

are you seriously bemoaning the PSP invitation...just be happy you got accepted with below average stats because of....

are you seriously bemoaning the PSP invitation...just be happy you got accepted with below average stats because of....

What exactly is your problem? Every one of your posts is bigoted, rude and maligning. People like you don't belong on any forum, let alone SDN. Why do you have a grudge against people who fare better than you? Or a vendetta against URMs? Do you have a concept of what the term URM means? You have no right to be judging other people on the basis of their stats- you know nothing about them on an anonymous online forum. I am frankly surprised that someone so filled with contempt is going into a profession meant for people who want to be healers! I hope to god you are not my classmate at UMD.

Status
Not open for further replies.