2010-2011 University of Miami Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thankfully I'm done with this one, but don't know if you are a Floridian and thus applying to other Fl. schools but USF and FSU's suck more to me. Maybe I'm just making it more complicated but they are real biatches compared to this one. Thankfully I had old essays for this one I could use that i think were pretty decent for this one.

But USF and FSU's secondary is giving me a much harder time. I hate the secondaries.
Nope, not a Floridian, but I do have ties to the state. Only sent primaries to FIU (interview next week), UCF, and UM.

Members don't see this ad.

do they send the offer to complete the md/phd app to everyone? tell me yes so i don't feel special

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the md/phd app twice! Maybe it's a sign I should apply.

I actually got it three times! Does that mean I am automatically accepted?
:)

I got it twice too and got psyched out that it was an interview invite! They really pulled one over on me!

Anyone else ready to give up with this damn secondary? I'm almost up to the 2-week mark...

This secondary just tries to break you down.

Each page that you annoyingly have to click to at the bottom of the page brings more and more anguish.

First, they don't let you list all the great medical things you did, forcing you to leave community service section blank and making you feel like you've done nothing your whole life.

Then, they ask you about your most important medical experience, but it can't be your most important medical experience because you already wrote about that one in your primary and you don't want to be eliminated based on some semantic technicality.

And then, after you go through another drudging "why us" question, they hit you with the institutional action question, which you instinctively click "no" on . . .

. . . UNTIL you read that they include HIGH SCHOOL action?? So, you click yes and write about how your suspension for misbehavior in art class in sophomore year will actually make you a better physician, pay the $75 fee and wish you never got involved with the Florida schools.

Yea, I don't mind essays, but an essay that basically says, "repeat your personal statement but don't repeat your personal statement" is very annoying, as is the fact that they waited until very late to send out the secondaries, so that I'm out of secondary mode.

This secondary just tries to break you down.

Each page that you annoyingly have to click to at the bottom of the page brings more and more anguish.

First, they don't let you list all the great medical things you did, forcing you to leave community service section blank and making you feel like you've done nothing your whole life.

Then, they ask you about your most important medical experience, but it can't be your most important medical experience because you already wrote about that one in your primary and you don't want to be eliminated based on some semantic technicality.

And then, after you go through another drudging "why us" question, they hit you with the institutional action question, which you instinctively click "no" on . . .

. . . UNTIL you read that they include HIGH SCHOOL action?? So, you click yes and write about how your suspension for misbehavior in art class in sophomore year will actually make you a better physician, pay the $75 fee and wish you never got involved with the Florida schools.

:laugh: Well put.

Does Uni of Miami not honor the fee waiver from AMCAS? It is asking me to pay the $75 :/ . Anyone know?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Uni of Miami not honor the fee waiver from AMCAS? It is asking me to pay the $75 :/ . Anyone know?

I think the best thing to do would be to call the admissions office and ask.

Yeah, but the thing is they are already closed for today and today is the "2 week" submission deadline for me that they stated in the email.. I don't know how strict they are about that though?

Is there a place to check the status of your app other than seeing that it has already been submitted? Do people get complete emails?

hey guys, I was on a quarter system at my university. So labs for chemistry, physics, bio etc and the grades we receive for them are separate from the actual lectures. How did you guys list them on your app?

just noticed, for the pre req page does it actually ask for the Course name? I realize they just ask for Year, Institution, and Grade Received....

Is it suppose to be like this?

"Applicant Status. A medical school obtains "Applicant School" status when: (a) It has paid the $25,000 application fee to the LCME to begin the process of applying for preliminary accreditation; and (b) LCME and CACMS Secretariat staff have determined that the school meets the basic eligibility requirements to apply for accreditation (i.e., a current or anticipated charter in the U.S. or Canada and plans to offer the educational program in the U.S. or Canada). NOTE: Applicant Schools are not accredited and may not recruit or advertise for applicants or accept student applications. View a current listing of programs with Applicant Status."

from
http://www.lcme.org/newschoolhome.htm

I'm in the FAU Post-Bacc program, I met with the FAU pre-med advisor last week and asked her what was going on with FAU's COM. She told me that FAU IS going to have an innaugural class for Fall 2011. They are going to have an independent application process for the Fall 2011 class(not through AMCAS) and it is going to be available around January/February. She said it's going to be very 'chaotic and rushed'. Next year they will be on AMCAS.

I'm in the FAU Post-Bacc program, I met with the FAU pre-med advisor last week and asked her what was going on with FAU's COM. She told me that FAU IS going to have an innaugural class for Fall 2011. They are going to have an independent application process for the Fall 2011 class(not through AMCAS) and it is going to be available around January/February. She said it's going to be very 'chaotic and rushed'. Next year they will be on AMCAS.

That will be very interesting. Although I imagine there wouldn't be as much competition for the inaugural class because everyone with solid apps would probably have been accepted elsewhere already.

Yeah, but the thing is they are already closed for today and today is the "2 week" submission deadline for me that they stated in the email.. I don't know how strict they are about that though?

There is no such "deadline". It is more like a guideline so they can get their stuff going. Other schools suggest the same thing.

do you guys see a place to enter the course name for the courses the Prereq section? I do not see one. All I see are year completed, institution, and grade.

do you guys see a place to enter the course name for the courses the Prereq section? I do not see one. All I see are year completed, institution, and grade.

Anyone???

How is that possible if there is a process through which they need for preliminary accreditation?????

I'm not sure... unless they expect to get accreditation before the school year starts? I know in the papers they have been talking a lot about FAU getting accrediation by 2012 and increasing the seats up to around ~200, but for 2011 is news to me.... I'm interested in learning more about this too. Sure feels good to be a FL resident with so many great medical schools.

Hijacking the Miami thread a bit, submitting my secondary here soon. :)

I'm not sure... unless they expect to get accreditation before the school year starts? I know in the papers they have been talking a lot about FAU getting accrediation by 2012 and increasing the seats up to around ~200, but for 2011 is news to me.... I'm interested in learning more about this too. Sure feels good to be a FL resident with so many great medical schools.

Hijacking the Miami thread a bit, submitting my secondary here soon. :)

Aidama for your secondary in the prereq section, do you have a spot where to list course name? All there is on it are year, insitution, grade. Anything else?

Haha doctafuture. relax. there is no spot for course name. just fill it out and send it in and pray.

I just did the fee waiver for the secondary. You have to send them a copy of your AMCAS waiver confirmation page by email and they will send you a code that you can use to bypass the payment screen. It took about 5 days for them to send me the code.

Haha doctafuture. relax. there is no spot for course name. just fill it out and send it in and pray.

haha yeah def man. i already turned it in, but I keep thinking that something was wrong w/ my app b/c filling them in was weird. yeahhhhh terrible app process.

For the OOS kids, how do you think FAU will look at their applications?

uhhh... i'm confused! I'm getting ready to submit but was NOT sure what the "application code" was on the last page (page 6) under Affirmation? I assume this is for the admission side to fill out "Official Use -- Office of Admission" BUT if that is the case... why can I type in it? lol

Someone help! thanks!

uhhh... i'm confused! I'm getting ready to submit but was NOT sure what the "application code" was on the last page (page 6) under Affirmation? I assume this is for the admission side to fill out "Official Use -- Office of Admission" BUT if that is the case... why can I type in it? lol

Someone help! thanks!

If it says that it's for official use, then you have answered your question, and don't worry about it! :)

yeah just wait and see. remember they just recently came out with their secondary.

Hey guys,

I have gotten to emails from Miller SOM - indicating I can apply to their MD/PhD & MD/MPH programs - I am interested in the dual MD/MPH program - so my question is - would applying to the dual program increase my chances of getting interviewed? Do they want students open to dual degrees? I would love to go here so if it would increase my competitiveness in their eyes I'm into it...

I've gotten this md/phd invite email 4 times now. Twice a couple weeks ago, once yesterday, and once today and everytime I get excited thinking it's actual news from Miami :/

What's the deal?

I think it is a glitch in their system. The same thing happened with me, except I got 3 confirmations in a 5 minute period after submitting my secondary.

But I totally agree, I got super excited each time I got the multiple dual degree emails... and then super sad each time I realized it was nothing new

hey! so i'm having trouble with the miami website. i'm trying to find out about the schools curriculum and their mission and stuff but everything is pass word protected and some of the links lead to errors instead of actual web pages. does anyone know anything about this school?

Someone help! thanks!

That code is for people with AMCAS fee waiver, its a code to bypass the payment screen for the secondary. Basically don't worry about it :)

Interview invite this morning!

3.8/34Q/In State

4th year med student at UM here

good luck to you all! UM is an awesome school. You really couldn't ask for more

It is moving up in the rankings as well and its name carries a lot of weight to residency programs

i am applying for neuro now and am getting a lot of GREAT interviews and I think a lot of it has to do with the level of training residency programs expect that UM students get

any questions feel free to ask.

How long til they usually send out their secondary? I applied about a week ago.

Hey guys I received the email telling me that they are reviewing my AMCAS a week ago. Generally how long did it take for you guys to get your secondary after that point?

^^^^

I never even got the AMCAS complete e-mail. How long after AMCAS submission did you get that?

Status
Not open for further replies.