2010-2011 University of Miami Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How long did it take for most of you to receive your supplemental after receiving the initial "Your AMCAS has arrived at Miami Miller" email? They were a recent addition to the schools I am applying to and wanted to find out how long I would have to wait before I can complete the supplemental.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Does U Miami have a student host program by any chance? And does anyone know what the parking situation is like within the medical center. I know the med center is downtown so I am assuming it is going to be quite difficult. My interview information was a bit limited, they basically just told me the building and room number that I needed to go to :(

Hey for those who got invites, is it an email? Website/transaction page/whatever doesn't seem too informative as to whether or not there's a status change of the app. Im trying to compile all my apps on a spreadsheet so its easy to check them all, but not sure what to put to check the status for this one...or ohio state for that matter (seems like they use the same process)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey for those who got invites, is it an email? Website/transaction page/whatever doesn't seem too informative as to whether or not there's a status change of the app. Im trying to compile all my apps on a spreadsheet so its easy to check them all, but not sure what to put to check the status for this one...or ohio state for that matter (seems like they use the same process)

It is an email and the subject is literally "Interview at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine". There was never a status change on my webpage, it just said complete even after I received the interview invite. In the email there were also possible interview dates available and you had to call the admissions office to make sure your preferred date was still available.

And just letting everyone know, these are the dates that were supplied in my email...

September: 24
October: 1, 4, 15, 18, 22, 25, 29
November: 1, 8, 12, 15, 19, 22, 29

Hope that helps!

I submitted my amcas weeks ago and have never heard anything from this school. I think Im going to call.

Hey guys I received the email telling me that they are reviewing my AMCAS a week ago. Generally how long did it take for you guys to get your secondary after that point?

Quick update for those waiting on a secondary. I just received it, taking a little over a week from AMCAS verification.

So I am living/working in florida for this entire year and after reviewing residency requirements it appears that by august 2011 I can be an official FL resident. If they check out my secondary they will see I am in Miami for this whole year- but should I somehow send a letter to emphasize that I can become a resident or something. I just really love it here and love the school and would like to attend badly!

So I am living/working in florida for this entire year and after reviewing residency requirements it appears that by august 2011 I can be an official FL resident. If they check out my secondary they will see I am in Miami for this whole year- but should I somehow send a letter to emphasize that I can become a resident or something. I just really love it here and love the school and would like to attend badly!

Does U Miami have a student host program by any chance? And does anyone know what the parking situation is like within the medical center. I know the med center is downtown so I am assuming it is going to be quite difficult. My interview information was a bit limited, they basically just told me the building and room number that I needed to go to :(

I went here for undergrad and I NEVER EVER attempted to park at the med school. I just rode the metro. I personally would try to consider doing that if you can. Less traffic hassle.

There are some parking garages around there. I can't tell you much more - I graduated in 2004 so who knows how it's changed, I'm sure someone else will chime in on the alterations.

Good luck everyone! And GO CANES! []_ _[]

There is a parking deck across from Jackson Memorial Hospital that costs $8 per day to park there. That would be a good option for you during the day if you want to drive. Otherwise, the metro is also a really good option depending on where you will be staying. It costs $5 for the day to ride the metro and there is a stop right next to the medical school and JMH.

So I took about a month to send in this secondary due to school and other interviews interfering? Is the 2 week deadline really a deadline or does it just mean they'll take longer to process my application? Hopefully, the latter after I paid $75! :oops:

Interview invite today!! The weight of no interviews was getting unbearable.

Complete 08/18, In-state (school is five minutes from where I grew up). Scheduled for 10/29.

Stats: 3.5 uGrad, 3.8 Grad, 34Q

hey everyone! for those of you who got interviews... did you ever receive some kind of complete email? did you know if your application was complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
After I emailed my photo I got a complete email reply in about a week.

hey everyone! for those of you who got interviews... did you ever receive some kind of complete email? did you know if your application was complete?

Hey all,

I'm an MS-1 at UM, and the first batch of interviewees just walked through an anatomy review session. I thought I'd jump on here and send out a quick "good luck!" message to all of you potential Canes. :)

If you have any questions about our curriculum / the area (I'm an OOSer) / academic societies (go Roentgen! they're like Hogwarts Houses) / DOCS / life in general as a medical student, feel free to PM me! I can't guarantee that I'll know everything (I am just an MS-1), but maybe I'd be of use to some of you who are wandering around the website trying to get an idea of what the school is about.

Have fun in the interview process! Back to anatomy studying for me. :D

"Leonora"

Ugh, I never got a complete email and I submitted in mid August. I am OOS, if that makes a difference.

I was born and raised in miami, I'm not looking to enter until 2013 but I would love nothing more than to go to UM, I think I am competitive for admission. I don't currently live in Miami but I make it down there every so often. Can anybody recommend people/places associated with the medschool I should check/out or visit while i'm down there.

The []_[]

My whole family lives in Miami, I really hope they show me some love! But I don't think they like FIU students too much LOL.

Last edited:
So far it has been no love to anyone from Miami because UM students haven't gotten interviews yet either. (at least to my knowledge but I am pretty sure).

I know it's difficult, but I think we just need to be patient.
Interviews will come :xf:

Interview given last thursday! :D Stats: 32Q, cGPA: 3.8, sGPA: 3.7, instate. I went to the University of Miami for undergrad (GO CANES! []_[]) and I am currently at Tufts University in Boston getting my Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences.

hmm is it bad that I recieved another email to fill out my secondary? lol!!!

any out of state people get an interview invite yet?

Congrats but why did you do MBS with stats like yours???? And yay to boston. Miss that place lots.

Thanks! I applied to medical school before with a 29P and didn't get accepted. I spent a year really improving my application, such as doing a ton more clinical experiences and applying to Tufts MBS program. I retook the MCAT this summer and received my score, the 32Q, the same week I started classes at Tufts. Plus, I think that being in the MBS at Tufts, which is a one year intensive program, shows my commitment to medicine and significantly helps my application. The MBS program at Tufts follows their first year medical students were we take the same courses, taught by the same lecturers (mostly), and take the exact same exams. Currently I have been taking Biochemistry, Molecular Biology (aka Mico Bio), Genetics, Cell Biology, Tissue and Organ Biology (Histology), Immunology, and we should be starting Pharmacology pretty soon. I am loving it so far! So, I hopefully I can get into medical school and keep doing this and more. Good luck to you and everyone else. UMiami is an amazing school that is climbing the ranks so fast because of the leadership of President Shalala and Dean Goldschmidt. I can't wait for the interview :D

Nothing from Miami yet. They seem to be taking their time.

Any miami news? I have an interview nearby in dec, wanna send an in the area letter to miami once they get the invites rolling

I interviewed on Monday and all I can say is.... this school is amazing!!!!

Super impressed!

hmm is it bad that I recieved another email to fill out my secondary? lol!!!

But I thought you really love the school and want to attend badly?? :D

So I applied late, just got my secondary, I skimmed through the posts and it seems inconclusive on whether or not UM does a filter...Do they consider every applicant that fills a secondary because you got past a filter?

But I thought you really love the school and want to attend badly?? :D

So I applied late, just got my secondary, I skimmed through the posts and it seems inconclusive on whether or not UM does a filter...Do they consider every applicant that fills a secondary because you got past a filter?
Lol no you misunderstood- I already did the seconday in mid-august and they invited me to fill it out again. LOL I do really want to go, I might send a letter to UMIAMI explaining that I will be a resident. Number two choice here!

Ugh, I never got a complete email and I submitted in mid August. I am OOS, if that makes a difference.

I'm OOS too, and I never got a complete email. In their message to you right after you submit your secondary to send them a picture of you, they also say..."APPLICATION STATUS. It is your responsibility to make sure your file becomes complete. To make sure everything has been received, or to see what's missing, call the Office of Admissions at 305-243-3234 or send an email to:[email protected]." i emailed them to check it, you should probably do the same if you still haven't heard anything

Hey guys! Thought I'd join in. I'm OOS and I have my interview on Oct 15!!
(secondary completed by Aug 31- I had to email them to check too, interview invite Sep 30)

Hey guys! Thought I'd join in. I'm OOS and I have my interview on Oct 15!!
(secondary completed by Aug 31- I had to email them to check too, interview invite Sep 30)

stats? and do you have any ties to miami?

stats? and do you have any ties to miami?

uGPA:3.87, sGPA:3.8 MCAT:31Q and no family ties to Miami.
I think my ECs are pretty good (EMT-I, research, medical volunteer abroad) and they helped my application.

^ Nice!

Any NY ppl get an invite yet??

does anyone know how miami responds to 'in the area' emails??? i have an interview in ft lauderdale which to my understanding is fairly close to miami and as i'm from ny it would be nice to not have to pay for 2 separate flights

Is it just me or does it seems like UM is either very slow in interview invites this year or nobody is posting on this thread? Just my thoughts, I'd love to hear something from this school.

Is it just me or does it seems like UM is either very slow in interview invites this year or nobody is posting on this thread? Just my thoughts, I'd love to hear something from this school.

I can't give too much insight, but when I got invited literally every interview date was open, including one the next day. I know of another person who got invited, but she's MD/MPH which is a slightly different process. UM is definitely sending out invites, but don't get discouraged, they just started hosting interviews a few weeks ago.

does anyone know how miami responds to 'in the area' emails??? i have an interview in ft lauderdale which to my understanding is fairly close to miami and as i'm from ny it would be nice to not have to pay for 2 separate flights

I'm not sure if they had any affect on my admission here... But throughout the year, I traveled to Miami 3 times to visit friends and family, so every time I came to Miami, I did send the school a message letting them know that I would be in the area and that I was still very interested in the opportunity to interview at the school.

i got my md/mph interview invite 10/13. My top choice, so i'm very excited! One day is in Miami, and the next day is in Boca though. Do any native Miamians have any suggestions for getting from MIA to Boca? Thanks!

i got my md/mph interview invite 10/13. My top choice, so i'm very excited! One day is in Miami, and the next day is in Boca though. Do any native Miamians have any suggestions for getting from MIA to Boca? Thanks!

The only way I can think of getting from Miami to Boca is to drive. It's about an hour north, but a fairly straight shot down I-95. Renting a car for half a day is probably your best bet. Check to see if there are buses that do the trip, but us "Miamians" drive everywhere.

Interview invite yesterday. Complete for about a month.

The only way I can think of getting from Miami to Boca is to drive. It's about an hour north, but a fairly straight shot down I-95. Renting a car for half a day is probably your best bet. Check to see if there are buses that do the trip, but us "Miamians" drive everywhere.

What about the tri-rail...maybe there's a bus from West Palm to Boca? That might be more relaxing for gamespeed than dealing with 95. haha

What about the tri-rail...maybe there's a bus from West Palm to Boca? That might be more relaxing for gamespeed than dealing with 95. haha

That could work too! There's a bus that goes from the West Palm tri-rail station to FAU. Sounds like such a hassle though...public transportation in South Florida is horrific. If that's anyone's plan of action to get to Boca leave suuuuuper early. You MD/MPHers from out of the area are getting a raw deal :thumbdown:.

That could work too! There's a bus that goes from the West Palm tri-rail station to FAU. Sounds like such a hassle though...public transportation in South Florida is horrific. If that's anyone's plan of action to get to Boca leave suuuuuper early. You MD/MPHers from out of the area are getting a raw deal .

Thanks guys! I checked out the tri-rail, and it looks like that goes from Miami to Boca. I don't think I can rent a car, so I'll take the hassle to get an interview at UM:)

I interviewed there this month. I love the school and the area. The staff and students were extremely friendly and helpful. I am anxiously waiting to hear back from them with the final decision.

its definitely not just you. i've been complete i think for about a month (my status page says comfirmed since sept 16 i'm assuming that means complete? i never acutally got a complete email but i did get one thanking me for emailing my picture) but i really would love to interview here too!

Does anyone know if it would be harder to get into Miami's MD program as opposed to their MD/MPH program? I know they've just begun the program this year.

Hai UM Thread!

Hopefully this doesn't get buried in a sea of "accepted"s, then again hopefully it does for the ones who get those acceptances.

A few questions:

1) How did you apply for MD/MPH? I applied MD only, must have missed the option for MD/MPH because I'm interested in that program.

2) For those of you asking about Boca->Miami, It's only bad depending on traffic. On I-95 there is an express lane that costs $0.25 that bypasses most of the heavy traffic coming from Miami. The tri-rail isn't the worst, I believe it's a fairly automated system and I never had a problem with it (I would take it to Miami all the time when I was in high school). I currently live around Boca and it takes me ~45-60min to get to Miami and I always take I-95.

3) Would it be appropriate to E-Mail and ask for an update on the status of my application? I called a while ago and was told I was complete the 3rd or 4th week of September, but now that we're in October I feel like a "Complete" E-Mail would be good to have in my Med School sub-folder.

4) I've been looking at tuition differences in FIU and UM, why does FIU look more expensive even though it's public and UM is private?

Thought this was helpful =)

http://journals.lww.com/academicmed..._of_Miami_Leonard_M__Miller_School_of.28.aspx

@ Sleepygator888,
1) On the first page of the Supplemental Application, you have the option of applying MD, MD/MPH, or both. If you already submitted the form, I'd send them an email or call them (unless someone else on sdn knows what to do!)

3) From Application Instructions page:

Status Checks

You may check the status of your application by sending an email message to the Office of Admissions at: [email protected]. Status checks are performed between 2-4PM (Eastern Time), Tuesday through Thursday. Status checks are not done on Mondays or Fridays.

Hope this helps!

Slainte!

Status
Not open for further replies.