2010-2011 University of Missouri (Columbia) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I may as well start Page 4 :D

Members don't see this ad.

This form is so slow/dead... And it the sad thing is I keep checking it.

That's disheartening to hear that emails won't go out till 03/15. When I interviewed, we were told to expect something around ~03/01. I'm assuming ol' man winter is to blame for this unexpected delay.

Is March 15th what everyone should expect, or just those people that interviewed late February?
I suspect the quiet in the forum is in part due to the fact that we're holding our breath waiting for the email that causes us to
either :banana: or :smack:. I interviewed a bit before February and am still waiting for 3/15. Hopefully it will be well worth the wait, I want to be where amazing happens!!

This form is so slow/dead... And it the sad thing is I keep checking it.

That's disheartening to hear that emails won't go out till 03/15. When I interviewed, we were told to expect something around ~03/01. I'm assuming ol' man winter is to blame for this unexpected delay.

Is March 15th what everyone should expect, or just those people that interviewed late February?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I'd heard that they give out very limited acceptances during the interview season and send out more of their acceptances in March / April.

And I'm right there with you. Searching back through the days to check this thread! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I'd heard that they give out very limited acceptances during the interview season and send out more of their acceptances in March / April.

And I'm right there with you. Searching back through the days to check this thread! ;)

Chastyre, you're correct--reliable sources have told me that they accept <10/month (Nov, Dec, Feb) and have ~25 BS/MD spots already filled. The majority of their acceptances go out in March. And last I heard, the big day is March 11!

104 acceptances. 104 waitlist spots. The rest will be rejections.

GOOD LUCK!

Accepted!! (2/25/11):D, I interviewed on Feb 14th and had a really good interview day. The admissions department called me personally to let me know. I think I just made a really good impression on my interviewers. I will be a tiger starting in the fall. Is there a facebook page or anything for the class?

Accepted!! (2/25/11):D, I interviewed on Feb 14th and had a really good interview day. The admissions department called me personally to let me know. I think I just made a really good impression on my interviewers. I will be a tiger starting in the fall. Is there a facebook page or anything for the class?

Congrats! Has anyone else received a status update or are they not going to tell us anything until March 15?

When I interviewed on 2/22, they told me that they still had 2 weeks of interviews left. Because of this, they indicated final status announcements would be on or very near the 15th. Also, I was told that there were a record number of applicants and interviews this year :eek:, which I did not take as exactly being good news. :scared: I really wish all of you the best of luck! Keep your fingers crossed!:xf:

This is my top choice and I'm dying to hear back! I interviewed in late Jan. and my understanding was that it would be around March 15th too. Could time go any slower....

This is my top choice and I'm dying to hear back! I interviewed in late Jan. and my understanding was that it would be around March 15th too. Could time go any slower....

I know... Every day is like an eternity! I feel for guys like UnlikelyDoc, who interviewed on the very first day and have been receiving 'no change' status updates every month. The waiting will be over soon! :luck:

I know... Every day is like an eternity! I feel for guys like UnlikelyDoc, who interviewed on the very first day and have been receiving 'no change' status updates every month. The waiting will be over soon! :luck:
My long wait has given me much time to reflect on my interviews and experience at MU. As I read the Panacea today for a tenth or eleventh time, I reaffirmed what I was already sure of; MU is the best place in the world for me to study medicine. It is my sincerest hope that I have the opportunity to meet all of you at orientation in July.

UnlikleyDoc, I hope you get in. I just interviewed today and we'll all know for sure in less than 2 weeks.

P.S. I heard the same as KMO.

Last edited:

UnlikleyDoc, I hope you get in. I just interviewed today and we'll all know for sure in less than 2 weeks.

P.S. I heard the same as KMO.
Wow, I really appreciate the love guys. The camaraderie the MU applicants have here on SDN is reminiscent of the feeling I got from everybody I met at Mizzou the day I interviewed. Clearly you guys will fit in nicely there when accepted, and hopefully I'll be able to join you.

They are still holding interviews this week. I helped 3 or 4 kids find their way to the admissions office on Tuesday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, for the help then btv22! I interviewed Tuesday.

8 more days until I know my fate.

Cmon Mizzou, show me some in-state love!

Good luck to everyone waiting. Hopefully there will be a lot of happy posts at the end of next week.

Sounds like Friday is the big day for all of us in "no status change" realm to hear a final answer, for better or for worse! With approximately 30-40 accepted in the last couple of months, plus 25 Scholars, that leaves around 40 spots left? Hopefully some of us SDNers will be among the happy recipients of acceptances.

With three days left, I'm not sure if that makes me more nervous or less? :smack:

Sounds like Friday is the big day for all of us in "no status change" realm to hear a final answer, for better or for worse! With approximately 30-40 accepted in the last couple of months, plus 25 Scholars, that leaves around 40 spots left? Hopefully some of us SDNers will be among the happy recipients of acceptances.

With three days left, I'm not sure if that makes me more nervous or less? :smack:
Don't forget that MU has historically had some movement on the waitlist. After Friday (if that is the big day), you should be able to call and find out which third of the waitlist you are in.

Good luck to all of those still in the pool! Don't lose hope if Friday doesn't turn out precisely how you had hoped it would.

I hope all you SDNers get in. I can't wait to start meeting fellow classmates. Went down to Colombia last weekend to find a place and almost every place was leased for next year. My wife and I were lucky to find a lease FYI

Is tomorrow the big day or is it the 15th? I am confused, as I feel like both dates were thrown out there at some point.

Does anyone know for sure? Regardless, I am anxious/excited/nervous :)

Good luck to you all!!

I'm hoping that this isn't a school that emails acceptances and waitlists, but only snail mails rejections.

Waiting for a paper rejection you know is coming is not pleasant. I like the band-aid ripped off quickly, in electronic format.

I'm hoping that this isn't a school that emails acceptances and waitlists, but only snail mails rejections.

Waiting for a paper rejection you know is coming is not pleasant. I like the band-aid ripped off quickly, in electronic format.
I can ease that concern as I have just been rejected by email. I sincerely wish the rest of you the very best of luck. It would've been fun.

Got the rejection email this morning right around 11:00. A little bummed as I really liked Mizzou, but I am holding an acceptance at my state school so it def. could be worse. Good luck to everybody else waiting and if it doesn't happen for you this year, definitely reapply next year, it pays off.

alternate list here. Actually fairly happy about it, I felt like my research background hurt me a lot on the interview day, so I am excited to still potentially be in consideration (pending my position on the WL). Needless to say I will be calling first thing Monday morning!

I can ease that concern as I have just been rejected by email. I sincerely wish the rest of you the very best of luck. It would've been fun.

Me too :(. First of all, congrats to all you waitlisters, they tend to go through a good chunk of that list from what i hear.

Their system kind of sucks though, I've been waiting since the first week of October, only to be rejected the second week of March. If they knew I was going to be rejected, why delay the inevitable?

Oh well, I hope you all get in from the waitlist, and I hope some others come and report an acceptance. :luck: everyone.

I post this for the benefit of those who will be combing these threads next year looking for clues as to what they may expect.
IS, 3.9, 36Q. Via email (it says "Congratulations from MU School of Medicine" in the subject line - way to get to the point, Mizzou!!)

Good luck to those of you on the waitlist.

"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver (1897-1903)

Last edited:

It bums me out to see somebody so excited about the school get rejected :(.

It bums me out to see somebody so excited about the school get rejected :(.
I would be lying if I said I wasn't completely broken-hearted, but I have an acceptance to my 2nd choice, so it's going to be alright for the most UnlikelyDoc. I'm still pulling for you EBM, hopefully Mizzou will come to their senses and realize what a mistake it is to keep a man waiting who is both epic and bearlike.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't completely broken-hearted, but I have an acceptance to my 2nd choice, so it's going to be alright for the most UnlikelyDoc.

That's good to hear though, congrats! I'm hoping to be in those shoes soon. Mizzou was not my top choice, but I did get rejected from my top. Mizzou would have been a very nice alternative though :\

Sigh... always next year I guess?

Rejected as well. While I can't say that I was confident about getting in, I was a bit concerned that I did not make the waitlist. My stats are not stellar; IS 4.0 cum, 31 N, with around 12 years experience in a health related field; but I certainly didn't consider them to be that below par. I thought that my interviews went fairly well also. I had planned to re-apply E.D. as Mizzou is my first choice, but now I'm not sure that would even be worth my time. Any opinions? Good luck to you EpicBear! I'm equally as shocked that with your stats you didn't get right in. What's going on here? Was there like a 5 point jump in the school's average MCAT scores? :confused:

...I had planned to re-apply E.D. as Mizzou is my first choice, but now I'm not sure that would even be worth my time. Any opinions?... :confused:

In general, Mizzou is favorable to reapplicants. No doubt you would be given an interview in the next cycle, but you HAVE to do something that improves your application. If you don't change your application it's unlikely that they will change their perception of your app.

Take a good solid objective look at your app and see what you need to improve. Don't get hung up on the numbers game. If it were just about numbers and check boxes we could have a computer pick the class. Look at the "softer" aspects of your application and see if you can strengthen those, especially since it looks like your grades and MCAT are not holding you back. Re-evaluate your PS. Think about your LORs. Maybe even mock interview to see if you are doing something silly that hurts your chances. There is no magic formula, but volunteering and research are helpful. I see you have a lot of health care exposure. How much shadowing time? Being a physician is very unlike most other roles in healthcare. Shadowing gets you closer to understanding what a physician really does all day long.

Also, I strongly recommend seeing if you can meet with the DOA before applying ED. She should be able to tell you if you are a strong candidate or not. She witnesses the deliberation of the adcom, so she has a general idea of what they like to see. She can't make any promises about how things will turn out, but she can help advise you on whether the juice is worth the squeeze. Anyway, just some ideas.

Finally, many great candidates get rejected. There are way too many people jockeying for way too few slots. Welcome to medicine. It doesn't get any better with Residency or Fellowship match.

Sad day!! I got rejected from Mizzou. It was my first choice too. Oh well... I got into my state school already so I'm not too upset. I will still be a doctor.

Good luck to all of those still in the pool! Don't lose hope if Friday doesn't turn out precisely how you had hoped it would.

Kind of prophetic- I got my rejection on Friday. I still have hope: two waitlists, one pending post-interview decision, and my final interview this week. I'm sad I won't be seeing anyone at Mizzou next year, but congratulations to everyone who got in! And best of luck for those like me still waiting!

Waitlisted. Better than a rejection of course. IS, 3.81 chemistry degree and 30Q for those of you looking at this for some of idea of what to expect next year. It seems the MCAT is what landed me on the waitlist as everything else on my app is strong. Anyone want to shed some light on the waitlist game? As soon as someone declines an offer of acceptance do they notify the next-in-line waitlist person? Rolling admission style? Or do they wait and do it in groups every month?

It seems like the competition at MU went through the roof this year. Is anyone with a 31 or below getting accepted?

interviewed: 10/25
accepted: 11/5

instate
MCAT: 30Q
GPA: 3.44 (top 20 school)

I was wait listed also. IS 3.9 34. I felt like my interviews went well, but I interviewed in Feb. I guess we did have the majority of applicants still waiting to hear with only about 35 spots left in the class. I'm anxious to see what third of the wait list I'm a part of first thing Monday morning. Based on the stats the past few years it seems like the first third is almost guaranteed in and the last third more than likely won't get in. The middle third is a toss up. Good luck to everyone!

4 interviews, 4 alternate lists.....terrific

Woke up at 8:30am, called Mizzou at 8:47am. Top Third!!! OMG I might be going to med school!!

CALL now EpicBearMean!!

my stats are 3.7gpa (top 15 undergraduate) and 34q

Ipfan I'm in about the same boat! Called first thing today and I'm in the top third too!! Best news I've heard all interview season haha. I'm so excited and finally (at least a little) relieved!! Knock on wood.... :) :)

I called this morning and they said the people who had access to my info were in a meeting. I'll try again after class. :xf:

This is getting crazy! So unless you get a 36 or go to a top 20 school, noone was accepted. I'm doomed!

Status
Not open for further replies.