2010-2011 University of Wisconsin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just found out that I was accepted. It's still pretty surreal to think about it. Good luck to everyone else!!

Congrats you guys!!! You're killing the rest of us :)

-So it looks like they're reviewing at least all the dates up to Oct. 15?
- Do we get something in the mail even if we're waitlisted or rejected?

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that everybody gets snail mail notification of their decision.

I'm OOS and my mail just came... nothing from Wisconsin!! Maybe tomorrow?! I'm so bad at being patient!

I interviewed on the first interview day October 1st. and they told me today that they hadn't sent out any acceptances yet so I'm not really sure how someone got accepted if no letters have been sent at all. And I interviewed on the first day so if they havent sent letters for that interview day I'm sure how someone knows from interview on Oct.6 . Hmmmmmmmm

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, I thought they only interviewed on Fridays!...How did someone interview Oct. 6?

Something smells fishy...

Sorry, I meant to say Oct 15th. Anywho, For the person that said they got accepted already said they interviewed on Oct 15th, I called today and the lady said they hadnt sent any acceptances out yet and she also said everyone receives a letter either stating (acceptance, waitlist, rejected) therefore I interviewed on Oct 1 and have not got any letters yet so I am curious how that person got a letter already, especially because they interviewed after me. hmmmm

There is the possibility that they interviewed for a special program. For example, the MSTP already sent out 3 (I think) acceptances, though those people interviewed on Sept 30th/Oct 1st. But are there any other programs?
I know when I talked to the MSTP guy, he said that our acceptance packages were delayed because the regular MD admissions didn't have all their paperwork completely ready (this was about 2 weeks ago) and I just received my package, so it sounds likely that acceptances will be coming soon, as the med admissions people have gotten their stuff together? (Sorry for the runon)

I called the admissions office last week and was told that they planned to start sending out letters this week... so I wouldn't be surprised if someone received one.

Sorry, I meant to say Oct 15th. Anywho, For the person that said they got accepted already said they interviewed on Oct 15th, I called today and the lady said they hadnt sent any acceptances out yet and she also said everyone receives a letter either stating (acceptance, waitlist, rejected) therefore I interviewed on Oct 1 and have not got any letters yet so I am curious how that person got a letter already, especially because they interviewed after me. hmmmm

Compare the first paragraph of my acceptance letter to yours if you have the good fortune to receive one, but in the mean time, I suggest that you spend some time away from SDN and breathe. Your news will come soon enough. Insinuating that happy posters with acceptances are liars is rather ugly.

"Congratulations! We are pleased to offer you a position in the August 2011 entering class at the Univeristy of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health MD degree program. The combination of your personal qualities, life experiences and academic achievements present the type of student we wish to have as part of our student body and as a future physician. It is our hope that you will accept this offer of admission"

I was able to do a phone interview because I'm out of the country, and they were willing to accommodate what I had going on. My letter is going to a relative who still hasn't received the letter, but because of my situation they were willing to notify me by email. Get over yourself. Haha.

Just to bolster all of the people who are going a little crazy, I'm pretty sure that application review doesn't go by date of interview. The dean (at least on my date) said that the completed interviews go into a pile, and they *randomly* select ~20 per week to be reviewed. He also said (he was trying to be *very* clear) that the only reason you would not have heard back was if they hadn't reviewed your file yet.

I know that everyone on here is used to things working out a certain way for them, but we should all just chill. I, for one, am happy that *someone* got an acceptance, because it means that the process is rolling right along :)

Thank you for the reassurance Bengarama.

I still think there must be some sort of order though, otherwise there will be no point to the 6-8 week guideline since one file could randomly not get picked for 30 weeks. So I hope they make sure you get picked within 6 weeks of your interview.

Otherwise, it wouldn't be so beneficial to interview earlier rather than later at this school.

ARGGGGH why do I live so far away! If most of you live in the midwest, I can still cross my fingers that something is in the mail for me tomorrow. :luck:

Just to bolster all of the people who are going a little crazy, I'm pretty sure that application review doesn't go by date of interview. The dean (at least on my date) said that the completed interviews go into a pile, and they *randomly* select ~20 per week to be reviewed. He also said (he was trying to be *very* clear) that the only reason you would not have heard back was if they hadn't reviewed your file yet.

I know that everyone on here is used to things working out a certain way for them, but we should all just chill. I, for one, am happy that *someone* got an acceptance, because it means that the process is rolling right along :)

The voice of reason. Haha. I thought I was about to get cast into the streets and stoned.

Members don't see this ad :)
The voice of reason. Haha. I thought I was about to get cast into the streets and stoned.

Out of curiosity, SFGuy, are you really from California? As a fellow OOS for Wisconsin, I'm just wondering how our chances look :D

Out of curiosity, SFGuy, are you really from California? As a fellow OOS for Wisconsin, I'm just wondering how our chances look :D

No I'm not really from California, so I guess the SF thing is a bit misleading. I've never even been to San Francisco - or California for that matter. :laugh:

However, it is true that I'm from OOS and I've never resided in Wisconsin. I'm actually applying as a Florida resident, but it's just because that's where I'm hanging my hat for the time being.

Ok so i my secondary app has been complete for 6 weeks and I am wondering if i should just believe that i wont get an interview at this school...what was the avg week before anyone else heard back?

For those who had current mailing addresses different from their permanent address, did the mail come to the current or permanent address?

Ok so i my secondary app has been complete for 6 weeks and I am wondering if i should just believe that i wont get an interview at this school...what was the avg week before anyone else heard back?

I submitted my secondary on July 6th and received an email that stated my application was complete on July 16th. September 9th was when the email with the interview invite came, so it was about eight weeks before I heard anything back.

But I've got to believe that part of it has to do with when you apply in the cycle, and I applied pretty early. I would think the longer you wait to apply, the more applications they have to sort through, and the longer you can expect to wait to hear anything. I could be wrong though, and either way I know it's a painful experience. Good luck!

just interviewed and loved it! it was great to meet all of you... hope I see you in the fall!

Does the committee meet every Friday?

My secondary was complete at the end of August and just heard back last Monday that I am on hold until January...that was about a 9 week wait.

Another day passed and still no word? Oh Wisconsin, you are a flighty temptress indeed.

Will any of you fine sdn'ers be there this Friday (the 12th)?

For those who had current mailing addresses different from their permanent address, did the mail come to the current or permanent address?

when i called to update my address, they told me that they only send things to the current address.

Me too, I wonder what that means. Anybody have any ideas or know of anybody in same spot????????????

Hi guys, sooooo when do you guys think the next batch will come out?

Here's how it goes down in my head....

If you are in the randomly picked n = 20 then:
Monday = they get together and discuss your profile
Tuesday = they vote/decide on your status
Wednesday = write up your letter and put it in the mail
Thursday = get the letter if you live nearby
Friday = get the letter if you live far away

Do I know what I'm talking about? no. Does it help me be more patient during the week? barely.

You guys need to chill. The people on the adcom are clinicians, research faculty, and 2nd and 4th year med students. The committee does indeed meet every week but things can take longer at times bc people are busy. Generally people will hear back around the promised timelines but things can take longer sometimes. I can tell you that during my cycle the first acceptances were received about now though, I am not involved with admissions this year so idk how this cycle will go.

I know folks are busy, but it is a little frustrating. I interviewed on their first interview day (Oct 1). We were told we'd hear "at the end of the month"... it's now 2 weeks post-"the end of the month". I think if I hadn't been expecting to hear 2 weeks ago, I would be a little less antsy. Alas.

Great to watch the Badgers put up 83 points this weekend against Indiana!

I know folks are busy, but it is a little frustrating. I interviewed on their first interview day (Oct 1). We were told we'd hear "at the end of the month"... it's now 2 weeks post-"the end of the month". I think if I hadn't been expecting to hear 2 weeks ago, I would be a little less antsy. Alas.

expect to wait 6 weeks +/- 2 weeks. That seems a lot more accurate, and is what we told people in past cycles. This time of year, I'd go more towards the + because holidays are coming up.

They did tell us at my interview to call if we haven't heard in 6 weeks, but I can't imagine what that could possibly do except annoy the receptionist.

Great to watch the Badgers put up 83 points this weekend against Indiana!

:thumbup: I smell Roses ;)

I just interviewed here and I liked it a lot more than I had expected. I'm not sure how I feel about the stressful exam schedule, however. Any insight, drizzt?

dont forget to take into account the time it takes for the letter to reach you... i know i always have to tack on an extra week or so just because the mail in my zip is ungodly slow. normally i dont care, but since i have been waiting for med school stuff to come in the mail its been really irritating.

in any case, i hope you hear good news!

... forgot to add that they also told everyone at my interview day to contact them if we hadnt heard anything by 6 weeks post interview.

Been under-review since end of Sept and still no word...should i be taking this as a silent rejection? :(

Been under-review since end of Sept and still no word...should i be taking this as a silent rejection? :(

I had another school email me saying that I had a discrepancy with my LoRs, so I emailed some other schools (including Wisconsin) if there were any problems and if I needed to supply any information. They emailed me almost immediately back and said that currently the wait time for an application to be processed is 8-10 weeks and that I hadn't been reviewed yet. I was complete mid-September. So no, I don't think it's a silent rejection. It sounds like they're just running really behind.

Interviewed 10/29
Got my letter yesterday!
note, do NOT freak out when you see a little white envelope. I was really disappointed when I saw a normal sized envelope and thought the worst. Also, mine came to me in under 4 weeks, which was really unexpected.

Good luck guys!

Interviewed 10/29
Got my letter yesterday!
note, do NOT freak out when you see a little white envelope. I was really disappointed when I saw a normal sized envelope and thought the worst. Also, mine came to me in under 4 weeks, which was really unexpected.

Good luck guys!

Congrats! I think I may have chatted with you quite a bit during the day :)

*but*, I was all set to wait, and now you've started a furious, checking-the-mail, downward spiral!

Congrats! I think I may have chatted with you quite a bit during the day :)

*but*, I was all set to wait, and now you've started a furious, checking-the-mail, downward spiral!

Hmmmm.... I wonder who u are. Where u sitting to my right, by any chance? Good luck, hope u get some good news soon!

:thumbup: I smell Roses ;)

I just interviewed here and I liked it a lot more than I had expected. I'm not sure how I feel about the stressful exam schedule, however. Any insight, drizzt?

Stressful exam schedule? I don't think the exam schedule is stressful at all really. You will be stressed by tests no matter what med school you go to but I don't think UW's schedule is bad at all.

Stressful exam schedule? I don't think the exam schedule is stressful at all really. You will be stressed by tests no matter what med school you go to but I don't think UW's schedule is bad at all.

Well when I was there, the MS2's had all of their exams over 3 or 4 days. Two/three before the weekend and another on the following monday. That sounds pretty rough to me...

I think they wanted to know what you've done differently in your study habits, transitioning from college to UW's exam schedule. On interview day I was told many new medical students must make drastic changes in study habits (unless you are an exception to this). It seems kind of rude to brush off a legitimate concern while being boarder line patronizing in tone.

I think they wanted to know what you've done differently in your study habits, transitioning from college to UW's exam schedule. On interview day I was told many new medical students must make drastic changes in study habits (unless you are an exception to this). It seems kind of rude to brush off a legitimate concern while being boarder line patronizing in tone.

There seems to be some confusion here. Med schools, any med school really, requires a LOT of studying and all the incoming M1s do make drastic personal changes to manage the studying.

I believe drizzt3117 was simply pointing out that the UW's exams are no more stressful then other schools "I don't think the exam schedule is stressful at all really". He was replying to someone who said that Madison had a very stressful set up, he was in no way implying that he thinks he is so great and the tests are a piece of cake for him.

Got my rejection letter today (In state, interviewed October 22nd)

I really hate how admissions people treat all the interviewees like they are already accepted. They spend the full day doing everything they can to convince you to attend their school, full well knowing that <50% of the people that are talking to will even be accepted. I kinda understand why they do this, but it just makes rejections so much more painful.

My interviewer was the worst. Instead of asking me questions he spent the whole time talking about how great UW was and saying stuff like "your application is awesome, we want you here, and I need to convince you!"

Then you just get rejected. Thanks for getting my hopes up so high :thumbup:

looks like I'm spending another year unemployed....

I really hate how admissions people treat all the interviewees like they are already accepted. They spend the full day doing everything they can to convince you to attend their school, full well knowing that <50% of the people that are talking to will even be accepted. I kinda understand why they do this, but it just makes rejections so much more painful.

My interviewer was the worst. Instead of asking me questions he spent the whole time talking about how great UW was and saying stuff like "your application is awesome, we want you here, and I need to convince you!"

Did you apply to any other schools?

there seems to be some confusion here. Med schools, any med school really, requires a lot of studying and all the incoming m1s do make drastic personal changes to manage the studying.

I believe drizzt3117 was simply pointing out that the uw's exams are no more stressful then other schools "i don't think the exam schedule is stressful at all really". He was replying to someone who said that madison had a very stressful set up, he was in no way implying that he thinks he is so great and the tests are a piece of cake for him.

+1

Sorry Amahs.

That really sucks considering your interviewer only had you ask questions for the entire interview period (if I remember correctly). It would be impossible for the school to learn anything about you (your personality, character, values, beliefs, priorities, etc.) except that you're possibly very inquisitive after 45 minutes of asking. It's like they wasted your time by inviting you there and not putting forth any effort to learn about you as the individual behind the application.

Good luck in other applications, I hope everything works out in the long run.

im so sorry to hear that Amahs. hopefully you have other prospects, and if not you can totally improve your application for another cycle in the future. this whole thing is such an emotional roller coaster, and i find myself thinking about this process/my future almost all of the time, no matter how hard i try to occupy myself with other things. but in the end, no matter what the outcome, if we are meant to be doctors then doctors we will be. peace dude.

Anyone accepted from the Oct. 1st interview day. I have not heard anything yet and am kinda getting worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.