2010-2011 West Virginia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the Secondary! 29 MCAT!

Members don't see this ad.

Got a secondary today. And if this almost means interview, woohoo! (Also means they must do a pretty thorough screen that's not entirely based on numbers.)

For all of you who have gotten the secondary today, when did you submit your AMCAS to them?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got one too! I really hope this guarantees an interview.

Last edited:
so...we need to get yet another recommendation for the communication evaluation? Also does WVU accept a fee waiver? If so how do we go about that? Just attach a waiver form?

Last edited:
Yes, would someone mind posting the essay questions? I haven't gotten the secondary yet. Did anyone from out of state get the secondary, or is it only in state applicants at this point? Thanks!

Here are the secondary essay questions:

1. Why are you applying to West Virginia Unverisity School of Medicine?
  2. Give an example of a volunteer or community service activity that has helped to define your character?
  3. One Sunday afternoon in your first year of medical school you are studying for your biochemistry test. This is your fourth out of five tests and you can flunk this test and still pass the course. A group of very good friends calls and tells you that they will be in town only for tonight and they want you to spend the evening out with them. What do you do and why?
  4. What has been the biggest challenge you have had to overcome this far in your life?
The requirements want about a half a page (12pt, single spaced) response for each.

On a somewhat different note: Why isn't everything electronic???? We have to mail them stuff that could easily be submitted electronically??? I realize it's not really a big deal, but this secondary is a real turn off. Seriously, this is dumbbb.

/rant

so...we need to get yet another recommendation for the communication evaluation? Also does WVU accept a fee waiver? If so how do we go about that? Just attach a waiver form?

it sounds like if u have a lor from a supervisor that would suffice for communication evaluation. im wondering if it has to be accompanied by the form they have though. I just emailed the coordinator so we shall see what she says.

good luck everybody!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just finished these essays. Anyone else a little irritated that half the application is online, and half the application you have to snail mail?

This is hilarious. I just got a pre-secondary rejection email from WVU (see below) which doesn't make any sense. I have a 34 MCAT, 3.8 GPA, and I've never gotten a C or below in my life. Granted, I don't have any ties to WV and I'm not a resident... but really? Before the secondary??

:confused:

I'm glad at least my first rejection was so anti-climactic. And they spelled acknowledgement wrong.

Dear Applicant:

Your American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) materials have been received and reviewed.

As you are aware, the West Virginia University School of Medicine is a state-supported institution. We give strong preference to West Virginia residents, but we do interview non-resident applicants, and those who may have strong ties to the state of West Virginia. All applicants undergo a screening process, and only those who meet our requirements, and have completed all required courses by December 31, 2010, are invited to submit a secondary application.

We regret that, after this screening, we cannot proceed with consideration of your application for the class entering in 2011. You either did not have highly competitive credentials (GPAs of 3.5 or higher and current MCATs of 30 or higher, with scores of 10 or higher in each category), or you did not complete all required courses with a grade of C or better. This, in no way, implies that you are unsuited for a career in medicine; rather, it is an acknowledgement of certain constraints and realities in the admission process at our School of Medicine.

Thank you for your interest in our school, and we are sorry we cannot offer further encouragement.

Sincerely,

G. Anne Cather, M.D.
Associate Dean for Student Services
And Professional Development

This is hilarious. I just got a pre-secondary rejection email from WVU (see below) which doesn't make any sense. I have a 34 MCAT, 3.8 GPA, and I've never gotten a C or below in my life. Granted, I don't have any ties to WV and I'm not a resident... but really? Before the secondary??

I'm glad at least my first rejection was so anti-climactic. And they spelled acknowledgement wrong.

Dear Applicant:

Your American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) materials have been received and reviewed.

As you are aware, the West Virginia University School of Medicine is a state-supported institution. We give strong preference to West Virginia residents, but we do interview non-resident applicants, and those who may have strong ties to the state of West Virginia. All applicants undergo a screening process, and only those who meet our requirements, and have completed all required courses by December 31, 2010, are invited to submit a secondary application.

We regret that, after this screening, we cannot proceed with consideration of your application for the class entering in 2011. You either did not have highly competitive credentials (GPAs of 3.5 or higher and current MCATs of 30 or higher, with scores of 10 or higher in each category), or you did not complete all required courses with a grade of C or better. This, in no way, implies that you are unsuited for a career in medicine; rather, it is an acknowledgement of certain constraints and realities in the admission process at our School of Medicine.

Thank you for your interest in our school, and we are sorry we cannot offer further encouragement.

Sincerely,

G. Anne Cather, M.D.

I got rejected too, pre-secondary, but I missed the typo :laugh:
You'll get in somewhere else, that you really want to go to. :thumbup:

...it can be spelled either way.

Truth bomb.

No way!

Good to know.

Yeah, I'm okay with it. Turns out my MCAT was too old.

rejected also, oos with no ties and without "highly competitive credentials" lol
not feeling too bad about this one.
good luck to those still in the game!

Dear Applicant:

Sincerely,

G. Anne Cather, M.D.

:laugh: get this though: one of my friends got a 7 in one section last year and got an interview...no URM/disadvantaged...

Did anyone from OOS get the secondary yet? I meet the credentials, and my application was verified in early June. I'm also wondering how they know whether or not you have ties to WV. I am OOS, but I was born in WV and lived there for 16 years. Although they don't know I lived there that long, hopefully they consider WV being my birthplace as a tie to the state.

Did anyone from OOS get the secondary yet? I meet the credentials, and my application was verified in early June. I'm also wondering how they know whether or not you have ties to WV. I am OOS, but I was born in WV and lived there for 16 years. Although they don't know I lived there that long, hopefully they consider WV being my birthplace as a tie to the state.

I'm OOS and got the secondary 7/29.

I got a secondary. OOS, 29/3.8, nonURM/disadvantaged, not from WV but grew up close to the PA/WV border in a rural underserved area, non-trad.

how important are ties to WV? I can truly say I have none.

Anyone know what the "Date Submitted" field is for? Is that the date we mail the secondary stuff? Primary app submitted date?

So is it true that there is a strong correlation between getting a secondary from WVU and getting an interview like someone earlier in this thread said? Or is this just a rumor?

So is it true that there is a strong correlation between getting a secondary from WVU and getting an interview like someone earlier in this thread said? Or is this just a rumor?

I just got this confirmation email about my online secondary materials:

"Your online secondary application information has been received. We will not confirm receipt of your mailed secondary application materials. Your confirmation will come in the form of an interview letter with any missing recommendations listed. Please, DO NOT contact me regarding receipt of your secondary application materials."

So... maybe as long as you get a secondary and turn everything in, you get an interview? Can anyone else shed some light on this?

"Your online secondary application information has been received. We will not confirm receipt of your mailed secondary application materials. Your confirmation will come in the form of an interview letter with any missing recommendations listed. Please, DO NOT contact me regarding receipt of your secondary application materials."

So... maybe as long as you get a secondary and turn everything in, you get an interview? Can anyone else shed some light on this?

I read something along those lines somewhere on SDN (maybe this thread, not sure). That would be nice, though.

Hey, hypothetically speaking, if I were to receive an interview at WV school of medicine, what would be my chances of acceptance?

Thanks!

I emailed the admissions office about an unrelated question and asked this question. This is what I was told in the email:

"We usually invite those applicants we have already pre-screened and sent a secondary since we do not send secondary applications to everyone that applies. They will review the information you send in but it is pretty much a guarantee that you will receive an interview at this point unless something very controversial appears in your paperwork." - Beth Ann McCormick

So it looks like Secondary = Interview :D

When does this school start inviting for interviews?

wow...this is super weird I can't believe people with such high stats are being rejected pre-secondary...i got a secondary (even though I have absolutely no expectations of receiving even an interview)...and my stats are 29S/3.8 non-URM....strange? this whole process is so convoluted

This is the only school (out of 40) that I haven't heard a single word from. Kentucky at least sent me a "no thanks but maybe if you have ties" e-mail. OOS w/ above school's avg stats

I am totally shocked. OOS no ties to WV and received the secondary.
Does this seriosuly mean INTERVIEW?!?!?!?! I am not sure if I should be happy or not.

I received the secondary today as well. OOS from the bordering state of Ohio, cGPA 3.56 sGPA 3.92

Got one yesterday as well, OOS (no ties at all)! Above average for both MCAT and GPA, but seeing all the highly-qualified applicants get rejected pre-secondary, this is a pleasant surprise

Those who received the secondary on the 18th, when did you submit to WVU via AMCAS? I'm trying to get an idea of the turnaround time for late applicants. Hope you guys get interviews...it sounds promising!!

Those who received the secondary on the 18th, when did you submit to WVU via AMCAS? I'm trying to get an idea of the turnaround time for late applicants. Hope you guys get interviews...it sounds promising!!

I submitted mine to WVU on 7/25, so it took over 3 weeks :)

I was verified 7/21. And nothing from them yet? Do you guys think I should call?

For those of you who haven't gotten a secondary or rejection yet, I thought you might want to hear this. As I posted earlier, I submitted my app in early June and still haven't heard anything. I emailed the school and the reason is that my application was put on hold until my MCAT scores were received. Although my scores came out in July, WVU screens all the new AMCAS apps before they come back to the "put on hold" pile. The email said they will probably get to that pile this week, so hopefully we will hear something soon!

For those of you who haven't gotten a secondary or rejection yet, I thought you might want to hear this. As I posted earlier, I submitted my app in early June and still haven't heard anything. I emailed the school and the reason is that my application was put on hold until my MCAT scores were received. Although my scores came out in July, WVU screens all the new AMCAS apps before they come back to the "put on hold" pile. The email said they will probably get to that pile this week, so hopefully we will hear something soon!

Yeah, I had an on hold MCAT too, and when I emailed them they said they would be getting to that pile that week.

This was back on August 2nd. :laugh:

Woohoo! Just got the secondary! I'm OOS, bordering state. WVU is my first choice, so I'm thrilled! Good luck, all!

Just got a secondary! 3.72/29; OOS with no significant ties to WV; non-URM/disadvantaged

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.