2022-2023 West Virginia University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @futuredochopefully1234 for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 West Virginia University Secondary Essay Prompts
  1. Why do you want to attend the WVU SOM? (150 words)
  2. Describe one of your experiences that will provide evidence to the Committee on Admissions that you will be able to contribute to the culture of collaboration at the WVU SOM. (150 words)
  3. Describe a time when you worked closely and successfully with another person who had a background different from your own. (150 words)
  4. Name a medical condition that is particularly prevalent in West Virginia. Describe one experience in which you cared for a patient with that specific medical condition. If you did not have the opportunity to care for an affected patient directly, please share a relevant shadowing, leadership/educational, research or service experience. (150 words)
  5. Which one of the AAMC Interpersonal or Intrapersonal Core Competencies is your strongest, and why? How will this competency enhance your ability to be an outstanding physician? (150 words)
  6. What is your life motto, and why? (150 words)
Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
West Virginia University Robert C. Byrd Health Sciences Center School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Received Secondary this morning!

1. Why do you want to attend the WVU SOM? (150 words)
  2. Describe one of your experiences that will provide evidence to the Committee on Admissions that you will be able to contribute to the culture of collaboration at the WVU SOM. (150 words)
  3. Describe a time when you worked closely and successfully with another person who had a background different from your own. (150 words)
  4. Name a medical condition that is particularly prevalent in West Virginia. Describe one experience in which you cared for a patient with that specific medical condition. If you did not have the opportunity to care for an affected patient directly, please share a relevant shadowing, leadership/educational, research or service experience. (150 words)
  5. Which one of the AAMC Interpersonal or Intrapersonal Core Competencies is your strongest, and why? How will this competency enhance your ability to be an outstanding physician? (150 words)
  6. What is your life motto, and why? (150 words)

Members don't see this ad :)
For the second secondary prompt, would it be ok to put a non-clinical experience down? My best answer to this question would be a non-clinical leadership experience I have.

For the second secondary prompt, would it be ok to put a non-clinical experience down? My best answer to this question would be a non-clinical leadership experience I have.

I did!
Also OOS secondary received :')

I am still having issues accessing the secondary after the second email. Can anyone tell me how they were able to get it to work for them please?

I am still having issues accessing the secondary after the second email. Can anyone tell me how they were able to get it to work for them please?

They sent me like 4 emails so I just used latest one and it worked!

On the secondary "Describe one of your experiences that will provide evidence to the Committee on Admissions that you will be able to contribute to the culture of collaboration at the WVU SOM. (150 words) " do you need to use one of the experiences that is listed on your primary, or can you use a different experience?

On the secondary "Describe one of your experiences that will provide evidence to the Committee on Admissions that you will be able to contribute to the culture of collaboration at the WVU SOM. (150 words) " do you need to use one of the experiences that is listed on your primary, or can you use a different experience?
I've always figured you can use what you talked about on your primary but in a different angle/light tbh

ACMAS verified this afternoon and quickly followed by secondary being sent to me

I'm an OOS applicant btw

OOS AMCAS verified this morning and secondary received soon after

Anyone get confirmation that their application was complete? I submitted it a while ago but got no email confirmation. Can't find anything on their secondary portal either.

Anyone get confirmation that their application was complete? I submitted it a while ago but got no email confirmation. Can't find anything on their secondary portal either.

I did! Took about 24 hours to get it after sending. Submitted 2 days after receiving it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email that my secondary was received but never an email that the whole application was complete. Did you receive more than the initial "we have received your application" email? Thank you for all of your help btw

I got an email that my secondary was received but never an email that the whole application was complete. Did you receive more than the initial "we have received your application" email? Thank you for all of your help btw

My email said “Thank you for submitting your secondary application to the West Virginia University School of Medicine! Your application will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If you are offered an interview, this will be communicated via e-mail.”

No problem! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Reactions: 1 user
Just got put on an “interview waitlist” after being “favorably reviewed”. Anyone know if this is just a nice way to saying I’m rejected?

Reactions: 5 users
Just got put on an “interview waitlist” after being “favorably reviewed”. Anyone know if this is just a nice way to saying I’m rejected?
I also got this email today. Not sure what it means but I think it’s better than a straight rejection

Reactions: 1 users
Also got the interview waitlist email

Reactions: 2 users
confused about the wvu campuses.... can we choose which one to attend? or does everyone go to the main campus for the first 2 years?

Name a medical condition that is particularly prevalent in West Virginia. Describe one experience in which you cared for a patient with that specific medical condition. If you did not have the opportunity to care for an affected patient directly, please share a relevant shadowing, leadership/educational, research or service experience. (150 words)

how did you guys approach this question? i can talk about a shadowing experience but there was nothing super meaningful about it... what do they wanna see in ur answer to this (just that u have knowledge/experience with the specific medical condition???)

Name a medical condition that is particularly prevalent in West Virginia. Describe one experience in which you cared for a patient with that specific medical condition. If you did not have the opportunity to care for an affected patient directly, please share a relevant shadowing, leadership/educational, research or service experience. (150 words)

how did you guys approach this question? i can talk about a shadowing experience but there was nothing super meaningful about it... what do they wanna see in ur answer to this (just that u have knowledge/experience with the specific medical condition???)

Leading Causes of Death in West Virginia
  1. Heart Disease
  2. Cancer
  3. Accidents
  4. Chronic Lower Respiratory Diseases
  5. COVID-19
  6. Diabetes
  7. Stroke
  8. Alzheimer’s Disease
  9. Kidney Disease
  10. Influenza/Pneumonia

Source: West Virginia

I'm sure you can think of something regarding one of these!

OOS ORM Avg stats, complete 6/29 —> Interview Waitlist

Also got on the interview waitlist. I'm choosing to look at the glass half full.

From the email, it seems like this is a new thing they do. Does anyone know how the waitlist works? Does someone have to decline an interview for someone on the waitlist to get an invite?

Reactions: 1 users
Also got on the interview waitlist. I'm choosing to look at the glass half full.

From the email, it seems like this is a new thing they do. Does anyone know how the waitlist works? Does someone have to decline an interview for someone on the waitlist to get an invite?
I don't think it is new, I think I remember it being talked in an older thread. I think it is just, we have better applicants to interview right now but as they view other people we might get offered a spot if we are looking like we might be a good candidate. I have no source for this but I think I remeber reading that 1/4 people from the waitlist get an interview

Reactions: 3 users
Did anybody out of state get an II this morning? Or are the mass waitlisting students first?

I saw in previous year threads that people emailed the adcoms to ask about the tier of the waitlist they were placed in - but the email also said, "Please do not contact the office about your position on the waitlist for an interview." Soo I'm assuming this means we can't ask about tiers this year either?

People who got IIs or II waitlists today, when were you complete? I submitted my secondary on 7/9 and am wondering when I'll hear anything.

oos interview waitlist this morning, don't have ties although I am from a surrounding region and mission alignment, LM 81. Completed secondary 7/5. Feels kind of bad haha

Reactions: 2 users
"Your primary and secondary applications were favorably reviewed, and you have been placed on our waitlist for an interview."

II waitlist as well. OOS, veteran.

I've never heard of something like this, hmmm.

II waitlist, y'all planning to send updates?

Googled it for the first part. If your shadowing wasn't inherently meaningful, make it meaningful lol. It's not the experience itself, it's what you learned from it. I think they want to see you reflect

Last edited:
Do you think that the II waitlist movement is over and they will start sending more II's to those who submitted late last month?

Do you think that the II waitlist movement is over and they will start sending more II's to those who submitted late last month?
I was looking at last year's thread and it looked like II waitlist movement started in November!

Reactions: 3 users
Got the straight up R today... "We regret that we cannot proceed with further consideration of your application." For those curious, non-trad with less than 10th percentile sGPA and a 123 C/P score. Was a longshot anyway but it's my first R of the cycle... still sucks. Congrats to everyone who got IIs and II waitlists!

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users