You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2011-2012 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread
Started by Sammich117
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
I sent in three LOI (one after my interview in November and a few scattered here and there). I've spoken with my interviewer via email etc, etc.
...And I'm still on the top third WL![]()
Hang in there...there's still hope!
.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone that recently got accepted off the waitlist send ADCOM a letter in the past few months?
I actually sent a LOI about 10 days before I got an acceptance. Not saying this is what got me off the waitlist, I could've been sitting at the top 2% or something (all they told me was top 1/3 IS). But I think it's pretty well known that EVMS responds well to students who really show interest in their school.
I actually sent a LOI about 10 days before I got an acceptance. Not saying this is what got me off the waitlist, I could've been sitting at the top 2% or something (all they told me was top 1/3 IS). But I think it's pretty well known that EVMS responds well to students who really show interest in their school.
scribe2doc, if you dont mind me asking who did you send the LOI to? I cant find a general admissions email
scribe2doc, if you dont mind me asking who did you send the LOI to? I cant find a general admissions email
I asked the admissions office who would be best to send the letter to and they referred me to Dr. Meyer. Makes sense since he's the Assistant Dean for Admissions and Enrollment...also because it's his signature at the bottom of the acceptance letter I received. I just emailed him - got no confirmation from him or any response so who knows if it had any bearing on my acceptance but it certainly can't hurt!
Anyone called the admissions office recently and asked if there has been any movement?
I will be withdrawing my place on the waitlist (OOS Upper 1/3) at some point today. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear some good news!
Anyone called the admissions office recently and asked if there has been any movement?
Heard very little movement 🙁
For those who are definitely coming to EVMS this fall, I have a nice 2BR apartment available to rent that's literally right across from school. I'm a first-year med. student who's moving out. Let me know if anyone is interested, and good luck to everyone in their future endeavors. Email: [email protected]
I asked the admissions office who would be best to send the letter to and they referred me to Dr. Meyer. Makes sense since he's the Assistant Dean for Admissions and Enrollment...also because it's his signature at the bottom of the acceptance letter I received. I just emailed him - got no confirmation from him or any response so who knows if it had any bearing on my acceptance but it certainly can't hurt!
I sent my updates to Dr. Solhaug and Dr. Meyer (one email addressed to both)--I never heard back ever, but they definitely read them, according to the M1's who got in off waitlist last year. I interviewed in February, sent update every month, and got in last week (OOS). Good luck! I hope you guys get in 🙂
does mail come on memorial day???😕
I don't know which service they use but if USPS then no
I don't know which service they use but if USPS then no
Theyuse usps
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Officially withdrew my acceptance to VCU today so I'm definitely going to EVMS this year! Anyone else turn down VCU for EVMS? probably not a real common occurrence but my gut told me I'd be happiest at EVMS from day 1.
.....Hey guys, good news!
I was recently accepted at EVMS !!
It's my first MD acceptance of all time! After two cycles, a masters program and three mcats, I'm going to go to medical school! yay!! 
I sent in an update last week, but I don't know if it had any impact whatsoever. I got the big letter packet today 🙂
I was recently accepted at EVMS !!
It's my first MD acceptance of all time! After two cycles, a masters program and three mcats, I'm going to go to medical school! yay!! 
I sent in an update last week, but I don't know if it had any impact whatsoever. I got the big letter packet today 🙂
.....Hey guys, good news!
I was recently accepted at EVMS !!It's my first MD acceptance of all time! After two cycles, a masters program and three mcats, I'm going to go to medical school! yay!!
I sent in an update last week, but I don't know if it had any impact whatsoever. I got the big letter packet today 🙂
Congrats! I experienced that same feeling 2 weeks ago, it's absolutely amazing. Welcome to the class! Feel free to join the "EVMS 2016" group on Facebook if you're interested in meeting your future classmates and joining the discussion. Congrats again and see you in August!
I feel your pain sgsg. I'm a re-applicant as well, and was waitlisted on the upper 1/3rd at EVMS last year too! I'm getting all my AMCAS and AACOMAS stuff ready just in case... but I'd love to hear some good news before I'd have to submit all of that all over again lol
I feel your pain sgsg. I'm a re-applicant as well, and was waitlisted on the upper 1/3rd at EVMS last year too! I'm getting all my AMCAS and AACOMAS stuff ready just in case... but I'd love to hear some good news before I'd have to submit all of that all over again lol
wow a second time waitlisted at EVMS? that's tough!
last year, I was on 5 waitlists, and absurdly enough, none worked out.
BUT. our luck is bound to turn around some time, right

Yeah, it has been tough. I was told my MCAT was the only thing that held me back and to just bring it up a few points and I was golden. I retook it during the summer and had some family stuff going on and did worse. I took it a 3rd time this past january because they said they'd consider my score and I fortunately brought my score up 3 points. Unfortunately though, I didn't interview until feb 29th, which was pretty much like interviewing for a wait list spot at that point. Hopefully some real good luck comes our way real soon!
congrats moodle! i'm interested in your stats too, please.
I'm still on the top 1/3, OOS, and I am a re-applicant, so I can't even imagine the horror of applying amcas a 3rd time... really crossing my fingers here
I'm an OOS applicant and I was on the top third of their WL. I interviewed in november of last year and I was placed on the WL since then. My stats aren't the best, but I did an SMP and did well in it. I'm assuming it helped because last time I applied, I didn't have any SMP grades and EVMS did not interview me. I took my MCAT three times and my most recent score was a 31
I sent in a lot of updates. I sent in an update and then a few weeks later, I was granted an interview. Then I sent in another update/letter of interest after I was notified of my WL position. Then I stayed in contact with my interviewers and sent in two more updates (one in Jan and another I believe in March). Then last week I sent in another letter of interest. By the end of it all, I had nothing left to update the committee with

Anyway, keep writing those letters. It may or may not work, but I'm sure they read them. If you want more specifics, PM me and I'll be more than happy to help 🙂 Good luck guys!

I'm an OOS applicant and I was on the top third of their WL. I interviewed in november of last year and I was placed on the WL since then. My stats aren't the best, but I did an SMP and did well in it. I'm assuming it helped because last time I applied, I didn't have any SMP grades and EVMS did not interview me. I took my MCAT three times and my most recent score was a 31
I sent in a lot of updates. I sent in an update and then a few weeks later, I was granted an interview. Then I sent in another update/letter of interest after I was notified of my WL position. Then I stayed in contact with my interviewers and sent in two more updates (one in Jan and another I believe in March). Then last week I sent in another letter of interest. By the end of it all, I had nothing left to update the committee with
Anyway, keep writing those letters. It may or may not work, but I'm sure they read them. If you want more specifics, PM me and I'll be more than happy to help 🙂 Good luck guys!![]()
Hey man congrats. Im still on the list. Hopefully I hear something soon too
.....hey guys, good news!
I was recently accepted at evms !!It's my first md acceptance of all time! After two cycles, a masters program and three mcats, i'm going to go to medical school! Yay!!
I sent in an update last week, but i don't know if it had any impact whatsoever. I got the big letter packet today 🙂
congrats!!!
congrats!!!
Thanks guys!! And good luck to everyone on the WL. Keep telling them how interested you all are!
Hey guys - to all those moving to Norfolk this summer and still looking for a place:
Just found an apartment right across the street from campus (literally you can throw a rock from the apartment and hit the new ERB). I checked it out today and am gonna sign the lease. It's an unfurnished 2BR, 1 bath for $1200/month plus utilities (so about $650 each). Looking for a male roommate, so if anybody is interested please let me know. First month of the lease starts July. This price literally can not be beat for it's location (if you want to look it up, the address is 816 Colley Avenue).
My email is [email protected].
Just found an apartment right across the street from campus (literally you can throw a rock from the apartment and hit the new ERB). I checked it out today and am gonna sign the lease. It's an unfurnished 2BR, 1 bath for $1200/month plus utilities (so about $650 each). Looking for a male roommate, so if anybody is interested please let me know. First month of the lease starts July. This price literally can not be beat for it's location (if you want to look it up, the address is 816 Colley Avenue).
My email is [email protected].
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just accepted from OOS top 1/3 waitlist. Can't believe it myself. PM me for any questions!
Conrats! 🙂
Hey sgsg, congrats... and you were right... our luck was bound to get better! I just got a phone called today and was accepted!!! Was waitlisted upper 1/3rd, IS, Male. I sent my interviewer, Mrs. Castora and Dr. Meyer letters of intent and updates on wednesday. Who knows if it helped, but I'm assuming it can't hurt. At this point I would suggest anyone who is waitlisted to just continue telling them how much you want to be there and why they should accept you off the waitlist. It can't hurt at this point. If anyone has any questions or anything, feel free to PM me!
Congrats! you got a call? or you called them to ask?
Hey sgsg, congrats... and you were right... our luck was bound to get better! I just got a phone called today and was accepted!!! Was waitlisted upper 1/3rd, IS, Male. I sent my interviewer, Mrs. Castora and Dr. Meyer letters of intent and updates on wednesday. Who knows if it helped, but I'm assuming it can't hurt. At this point I would suggest anyone who is waitlisted to just continue telling them how much you want to be there and why they should accept you off the waitlist. It can't hurt at this point. If anyone has any questions or anything, feel free to PM me!
Hey sgsg, congrats... and you were right... our luck was bound to get better! I just got a phone called today and was accepted!!! Was waitlisted upper 1/3rd, IS, Male. I sent my interviewer, Mrs. Castora and Dr. Meyer letters of intent and updates on wednesday. Who knows if it helped, but I'm assuming it can't hurt. At this point I would suggest anyone who is waitlisted to just continue telling them how much you want to be there and why they should accept you off the waitlist. It can't hurt at this point. If anyone has any questions or anything, feel free to PM me!
Chewyyyy congrats!!!!! Yay! And thank you! I also wrote a letter/update on may 30! Can't wait to meet you in the fall!
If anyone is looking for a place to live, I have a great condo RIGHT NEXT TO EVMS, as close as you can get besides Hague Club. It is a 2BR/1BA, hardwood floors, wired with surround sound, in-unit washer and dryer (so you dont have to pay for laundry services), and comes fully furnished at $800/mo per bedroom. Utilities are included (even cable television and wireless internet). Private parking lot, but you won't need a car since it's only a 2 minute walk to EVMS.
My son graduated last year, and I am trying to fill both bedrooms, so if you have a friend in mind as a potential roommate this would be a great place. Even if you're a singleton you're in luck; for all 5 years (med master + med school) i have only ever rented to very courteous, easy-going fellow EVMS'ers.
email me at [email protected] if you'd like to know more about the place or see pictures.
Richard
My son graduated last year, and I am trying to fill both bedrooms, so if you have a friend in mind as a potential roommate this would be a great place. Even if you're a singleton you're in luck; for all 5 years (med master + med school) i have only ever rented to very courteous, easy-going fellow EVMS'ers.
email me at [email protected] if you'd like to know more about the place or see pictures.
Richard
Last edited:
If anyone is looking for a place to live, I have a great condo RIGHT NEXT TO EVMS, as close as you can get besides Hague Club. It is a 2BR/1BA, hardwood floors, wired with surround sound, in-unit washer and dryer (so you dont have to pay for laundry services), and comes fully furnished at $800/mo per bedroom. Utilities are included (even cable television and wireless internet). Private parking lot, but you won't need a car since it's only a 2 minute walk to EVMS.
My son graduated last year, and I am trying to fill both bedrooms, so if you have a friend in mind as a potential roommate this would be a great place. Even if you're a singleton you're in luck; for all 5 years (med master + med school) i have only ever rented to very courteous, easy-going fellow EVMS'ers.
email me at [email protected] if you'd like to know more about the place or see pictures.
Richard
Hey, do you know how friendly this school is to California applicants? I'm applying this cycle and trying finalize my list of out of state schools. I've basically been using the MSAR to see which schools accept the most out of state applicants and EVMS seems to take alot for being a public state school.
Will be freeing up a spot in a couple of days. I really loved EVMS and Norfolk when I was there for my interview, everything was just great. If it was not for me getting into my no. 1 school I would definitely be matriculating at EVMS. Good luck all. 🙂
Thanks man 🙂 hope you are oos
Congrats! For those stil waiting for an acceptance, there is still hope. I was accepted yesterday via postal mail.My 3rd acceptance this cycle (Meharry, Utoledo, EVMS). I have 10 days to make a decision. However, it is unlikely that I will be accepting based on the fact that as an OOS, I have to pay OOS tuition for the next 4 years. Secondly, I have already signed a lease in preparation for the school I will likely be going to (UTOIEDO). I just hope I am making a good decision here. Hopefully, my seat can make somebody's dream a reality.
Hey, do you know how friendly this school is to California applicants? I'm applying this cycle and trying finalize my list of out of state schools. I've basically been using the MSAR to see which schools accept the most out of state applicants and EVMS seems to take alot for being a public state school.
Fairly friendly, though I have no experience with other schools so I can't speak comparatively. There is a very large cohort of CA expatriats at EVMS.
Yes I am 🙂Thanks man 🙂 hope you are oos
Hey sgsg, congrats... and you were right... our luck was bound to get better! I just got a phone called today and was accepted!!! Was waitlisted upper 1/3rd, IS, Male. I sent my interviewer, Mrs. Castora and Dr. Meyer letters of intent and updates on wednesday. Who knows if it helped, but I'm assuming it can't hurt. At this point I would suggest anyone who is waitlisted to just continue telling them how much you want to be there and why they should accept you off the waitlist. It can't hurt at this point. If anyone has any questions or anything, feel free to PM me!
Hey, I was wondering if you got the letter in the mail yet? Just trying to see how long from when they actually accept you to when you get the letter. Thanks
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, I got the acceptance package yesterday.
Congrats, you IS or OOS?
Congrats, you IS or OOS?
Thanks! IS, white, male.
I have a question about the laptop requirement. We take our exams on these laptops, no?
Can someone who goes to EVMS comment on this? Can we buy a macbook air and call it a day, or does it have to be one of those 15in laptops?
Thanks!
We take exams on the laptops?
I think as long as it meets those machine specifications on the laptop requirement sheet then its a -okay.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K