2011-2012 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Guys,

I've just been accepted off the upper 1/3 OOS, so there's still hope out there! I didn't think this day would come! Good Luck and keep the faith!

Congratulations! I've been on the 1/3 OOS WL since november and I'm itching to get off....! Let's hope that it'll happen ! :xf: I really loved EVMS
 
Got the acceptance letter today!!!! Interviewed late March, waitlisted a week later, soooo stoked. ( 32q, 3.75), white male, OOS. Good luck everyone 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations! I've been on the 1/3 OOS WL since november and I'm itching to get off....! Let's hope that it'll happen ! :xf: I really loved EVMS

Congrats guys and gals. Me too man I been on the list since dec. good luck
 
I was accepted off the upper 1/3 waitlist back in March-- just withdrew today (IS applicant). Good luck to all waiting!
 
<3 you

Edit: So it sounds like first word of an acceptance comes in the mail - no phone call or email, right?

The first correspondence that you will receive from them is the acceptance packet, which is a larger envelope with your acceptance letter, health forms, and other information. However, if you call the admissions office, they will tell you your status at any time. Many times your status is changed over to 'accepted' a week before you actually receive the letter. Best of luck!
 
I called today and they said that about one accepted student drops per day. So maybe between now and May 15, we'll get anywhere from 20-30 more drops. I hope though that the drops pickup sometime towards mid-May
 
Got the acceptance letter today!!!! Interviewed late March, waitlisted a week later, soooo stoked. ( 32q, 3.75), white male, OOS. Good luck everyone 🙂

Heyy, have you received any confirmation that they received your deposit?? Also, any idea when they will be sending out orientation info? Thanks!!
 
Heyy, have you received any confirmation that they received your deposit?? Also, any idea when they will be sending out orientation info? Thanks!!

Yeah I did, I just called today to see if they had received it and they said they had, but I also received a financial aid packet a couple of days ago and I think you only get that if they received your deposit. But you can call and ask and they will tell you if they received it. Great job getting in!
 
I called today and they said that about one accepted student drops per day. So maybe between now and May 15, we'll get anywhere from 20-30 more drops. I hope though that the drops pickup sometime towards mid-May

I just made a call to the admission office, too, and she said there are about 100 people on the top third, and now they only have 17 withdrawals so far. lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just made a call to the admission office, too, and she said there are about 100 people on the top third, and now they only have 17 withdrawals so far. lol

That blows... I wonder how many of those 100 are instate vs outstate.
 
That blows... I wonder how many of those 100 are instate vs outstate.

Didn't EVMS make 300 offers last year, for a class of 150? If so, and if things play out similarly this year (May 15th has not yet rolled around, so they haven't reached peak activity yet), they will pull well over 100 off the waitlist this year - in fact, closer to 150! So no need to get nervous quite yet, although if you are an IS white male (like me =( ), perhaps the odds are not as favorable for you...

Anyway, based on repeated attempts to find it online, it seems that EVMS does not want their M1 class schedule to be public domain (or maybe I just suck at Internet searches). I was hoping for answers to three hopefully broad questions:

1. How many classes do you take at a time here again?
2. How many hours of class are there a week?
3. How often are exams?
 
Didn't EVMS make 300 offers last year, for a class of 150? If so, and if things play out similarly this year (May 15th has not yet rolled around, so they haven't reached peak activity yet), they will pull well over 100 off the waitlist this year - in fact, closer to 150!

How did you determine this? Can anyone else verify? I'm just really hoping that you're right... :xf:
 
How did you determine this? Can anyone else verify? I'm just really hoping that you're right... :xf:

Yes. I've heard similar stats, what I heard was that last year roughly:

600 interviewed
300 accepted
150 enrolled

Which seems to mean that of the 600 interviewed, 150 were accepted + 300 wait listed. Then of the 300 on the wait list, roughly 150 got offers by the time it was all over.
 
Yes. I've heard similar stats, what I heard was that last year roughly:

600 interviewed
300 accepted
150 enrolled

Which seems to mean that of the 600 interviewed, 150 were accepted + 300 wait listed. Then of the 300 on the wait list, roughly 150 got offers by the time it was all over.

Yeah but we don't know how many people have been accepted already. They may have already accepted 200-250 ppl. Most schools accept more students initially then they have seats in the class because they can be sure that not every one of them will attend.
 
Yeah but we don't know how many people have been accepted already. They may have already accepted 200-250 ppl. Most schools accept more students initially then they have seats in the class because they can be sure that not every one of them will attend.

The only people that can answer your question for-sure is the admission's office. But you can rest assured that there is still plenty of movement left to be had since May 15 is still over 2 weeks away.

btw I'm an OOS applicant that was accepted off the top 1/3 and have since withdrawn my acceptance.

Good luck!
 
Last edited:
Just a word of encouragement to fellow SDNers: Just like every successful person out there, you too can do it. You may waste time being hopeful and positive but never waste time being negative and discouraged. THERE IS NOTHING IN THIS WORLD YOU CANNOT DO, there are two kinds of people in this world, those who are lazy and those who are hardworking and I know everyone on here are hardworking.....sooooo SEE IT, WANT IT and CONQUER IT no matter how long it takes....hahah just felt like writing something corny while listening to some epic music...
 
Yeah but we don't know how many people have been accepted already. They may have already accepted 200-250 ppl. Most schools accept more students initially then they have seats in the class because they can be sure that not every one of them will attend.

Not according to one poster from the past few days who said admissions reported only 17 withdrawals so far. Then again, maybe that will be indicative of a weak season for WLers.

In any case, it's not healthy to obsess over the numbers. If you're in the upper 1/3rd, you are in a "good" position (according to the woman I talked to back in March), but you just won't KNOW until you get the packet, or until orientation starts in August. I only engaged with my thoughts because some people seemed so resigned, and I wanted to boost their spirits. Just live life, and keep your fingers crossed. =)
 
I haven't been accepted but I'm withdrawing from the top 1/3rd of the waitlist (OOS).

Goodluck everyone!
 
Same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago (OOS, upper 1/3) !... Hope you all get some good news too!! Good luck!

Hi Guys,

I've just been accepted off the upper 1/3 OOS, so there's still hope out there! I didn't think this day would come! Good Luck and keep the faith!
 
Reposting my questions from earlier, which got missed in the WL discussion:

1. How many classes do you take at a time here again?
2. How many hours of class are there a week?
3. How often are exams?

Thanks!!!
 
Reposting my questions from earlier, which got missed in the WL discussion:

1. How many classes do you take at a time here again?
2. How many hours of class are there a week?
3. How often are exams?

Thanks!!!

All I remember is there is a test every week.
 
Reposting my questions from earlier, which got missed in the WL discussion:

1. How many classes do you take at a time here again?
2. How many hours of class are there a week?
3. How often are exams?

Thanks!!!

First semester: Histology, Medical Molecular/Cell Bio, Intro to the Patient, Anatomy (+ Embryology starting in October), and Physiology (October-May)
Second Semester: Physiology, Biochemistry, Neuroscience, Human Development, LGM

There's about 10-15 hrs of class/week +labs and there's usually a test/week, more during finals. Occasionally we will have a week off.

Hope that helps!
 
The M1 schedule for the current year gettign ready to end is only available to accepted students who have a log-in ID to get onto the portal and outlook system.

The student above listed the correct courses, and this schedule can be found on the EVMS site. The weekly schedule seems to be 4 hours of anatomy lab on Tuesday and Thursday afternoon. Every day starts at either 9 oclock or 10 oclock, (2-3 days start at 8 AM during the semester) and ends at around 3 oclock typically. It appears that Fridays are shorter days (10-2). Again, this si just looking back over this current year, so they may change some things for our class starting in the Fall.


Has anyone else filled out the scholarship application ont he financial aid site? Does anyone know when we will hear back from them regarding scholarships? At preview, they said something about a scholarship for full tuition, but I do not know when they announce this. That would be awesome, but I am sure its just a dream haha.

If you missed preview, the people in the upcoming class seem to be really fun. There was definitely a good vibe at the event, so I am even more excited to attend now than I was before.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The M1 schedule for the current year gettign ready to end is only available to accepted students who have a log-in ID to get onto the portal and outlook system.

The student above listed the correct courses, and this schedule can be found on the EVMS site. The weekly schedule seems to be 4 hours of anatomy lab on Tuesday and Thursday afternoon. Every day starts at either 9 oclock or 10 oclock, (2-3 days start at 8 AM during the semester) and ends at around 3 oclock typically. It appears that Fridays are shorter days (10-2). Again, this si just looking back over this current year, so they may change some things for our class starting in the Fall.


Has anyone else filled out the scholarship application ont he financial aid site? Does anyone know when we will hear back from them regarding scholarships? At preview, they said something about a scholarship for full tuition, but I do not know when they announce this. That would be awesome, but I am sure its just a dream haha.

If you missed preview, the people in the upcoming class seem to be really fun. There was definitely a good vibe at the event, so I am even more excited to attend now than I was before.


I wish I could have made the preview, I am so excited!! Have you heard anything about orientation details? Also, did they say anything about apartments that are good for students/ where most students live? Thanks!
 
No orientation details really.... They said the Pembroke Tower and Hague Club were good. And basically anything in Ghent within walking distance is good too.
 
Hi Guys,

Has anyone looked into apartments yet? I am so anxious to figure everything out, I need info!!

Also, if anyone was wondering I asked about orientation and they said they are almost positive the white coat ceremony will be on Friday Aug 17th. So we have orientation and registration on 13th and 14th then school starts!!! on the 15th and then white coat on 17th. Just figured I would share!

To any current EVMS students: How is the test each week going for you? Thanks!
 
Okay 🙁. But on a brighter note for those of us waitlisted, May 15th is quickly approaching :luck::xf:

omg I can't even wait. I hate this process soooooo much. Dear god I hope there is a ton of movement this year. The thought of reapplying is too much to handle right now 😱
 
I just spoke to the admissions office, they said that when someone withdraws, they try to match the exact same stats in terms of IS/OOS, male/female, MCAT, etc. I thought I would share.. Good luck everyone!
 
Is the Class of 2016 facebook group for EVMS still a thing? May I request access to it? PM me for my facebook info if you have administrative powers to invite people, please! Thanks!
 
Is the Class of 2016 facebook group for EVMS still a thing? May I request access to it? PM me for my facebook info if you have administrative powers to invite people, please! Thanks!

Hi, I was searching for that as well. Is there even a facebook page yet??
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
People on the waitlist didn't need to accept their waitlisted status right? I recently had to send my signature to two schools saying that I wanted to stay on their waitlist / alternate list so I just wanted to make sure.
 
ACCEPTED TODAY!!!! off of the IS wait-list! there is still hope everyone. I wasn't even expecting this considering I thought that my interview went horrible!!!
 
Just withdrew - OOS. REALLY hard choice (obviously, I took me until almost the deadline to decide). Good luck everyone still waiting!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.