2011-2012 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats! probably interview

Haha, I think you misunderstood. I was referring to being on-hold like most of this thread. Congrats to all those that seem like they're getting interviews though!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Newly added...but I've been following since application season started. You'll be hearing more from me. And how dare you! My pic is a kowakian monkey lizard- not a troll. lol

Last edited:
Newly added...but I've following since application season started, so you'll be hearing more from me. And how dare you! My pic is a kowakian monkey lizard- not a troll. lol

In that case, good luck to you!

For the people getting interviews, congrats. Also, what date do interviews begin?

Would interview people mind posting their gpa/mcat stats are at least give us a ballpark stats?

Got an invite too. Don't know how it happened, but I hope you all get one too!

stats: MCAT is >30, <34. GPA is average.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, doesn't sound like a stats thing. I have similar stats to those that have posted: average GPA, 30-32 MCAT.

is there a on-hold and a re-review difference?

Got placed on hold. Although would love to go here, I realized that this school receives 13,000+ apps a year. Also, hold is not an automatic death knell, but I'm not holding out hope either.

For what it's worth: 35 MCAT. 3.4 cGPA, 3.9 sGPA

for the people getting interviews, When did you submit your secondaries?

I really hope to get the application verified! Its been taking years..it sucks to have a quarter school..
Okay now that I have vented, congratulations to everyone who have received an interview? What do we think? Are they based preliminary on secondaries and work/activities if the numbers don't matter that much?

yea all i have are two grad letters. though when i emailed them about if they needed grad letters (or what they needed), this is what they responded back with:

"Thank you for your message. We require at least 3 (and no more than 5) letters of recommendation and the committee prefers to see at least one letter from science faculty. Beyond those requirements, who you select to write these letters is up to you. We appreciate your interest in GW.

Best,
Kiley Gove
Assistant Director of Admissions"

hope that helps. looking at my assigned letters, i didn't even include a grad letter, but if they wanted one i could provide them with one.

Hi, first post here, just wondering whether I should submit a secondary or not to GW based on the fact that I don't have a letter from a science faculty member. The wording above states that, "the committee prefers to see at least one letter from science faculty," does that mean I have a chance without a faculty letter?

I've got letters from supervisors who oversaw my work in the biotech industry and education field but so far I'm having a really tough time finding an undergrad professor to write me a letter. Thanks! :)

Hi, first post here, just wondering whether I should submit a secondary or not to GW based on the fact that I don't have a letter from a science faculty member. The wording above states that, "the committee prefers to see at least one letter from science faculty," does that mean I have a chance without a faculty letter?

I've got letters from supervisors who oversaw my work in the biotech industry and education field but so far I'm having a really tough time finding an undergrad professor to write me a letter. Thanks! :)

Your best bet is to call the admissions office

I'm not sure what to put for this. So far, my ideas are:

1) My hobby with photography. This goes back to high school when I was a photographer for my school's journalism department and had my work placed as examples of great photography in a national publication. I continued in college but not as much -- I mainly entered small art/photography competitions and galas, nothing big, but it's a hobby I really enjoy.

2) I lived in a foreign country for 2 months last year and had to teach myself the language (French), which I had never learned formally. While I'm not fluent, I was able to live there for 2 months with ease.

3) A great volunteering experience with inner-city schools, but I already put it in my AMCAS primary essay.

Thanks.

1) My hobby with photography. This goes back to high school when I was a photographer for my school's journalism department and had my work placed as examples of great photography in a national publication. I continued in college but not as much -- I mainly entered small art/photography competitions and galas, nothing big, but it's a hobby I really enjoy.

2) I lived in a foreign country for 2 months last year and had to teach myself the language (French), which I had never learned formally. While I'm not fluent, I was able to live there for 2 months with ease.

3) A great volunteering experience with inner-city schools, but I already put it in my AMCAS primary essay.

Thanks.

I'm no expert, especially since I'm on hold, but I feel like it'd be good to put something that you haven't already talked about on your AMCAS so you can show them a different side of you. I'd say whichever of the first two you listed was more important to you, put it on there. If you really enjoyed your art and are very proud of it, it should be mentioned. On the other hand, if you felt it was a bigger deal that you learned french on your own, put that instead. Personally, if I was in your shoes I'd put the photography stuff, but that's just me.

Thanks.
I agree with illinois2012. You should choose the experience which meant the most to you because your writing will sound fresh and genuine. I wrote about something that was already on my primary (just went more in-depth with it) and I got an interview. Not saying this essay sealed the deal, but I know it didn't hurt.

I'm working on the secondary now, and just wondering if it is the general consensus to steer clear of high school achievements? I know there was some discussion on this earlier in the thread but I am torn between two ideas for the 'most significant non-academic accomplishment' essay, one of which happened as a freshman in high school and the other one during my college career. Given the space constraints, I could probably write a better essay on the high school accomplishment but I don't know if adcom members would prefer something more recent than 9th grade... thoughts?

aaand congratulations to those of you with interview invites!!! :D

can any current students give us some insight on what types of questions to expect during interviews?

Complete now
. Really hoping for an interview! Good luck everybody.

Can I submit my secondary before my AMCAS is verified? My AMCAS is ready for review, but I want to go ahead and mail my GW secondary so it will be complete ASAP.

I wasn't sure what to take from GW in terms of LORs that I should send...are they are more of a research-type of school, or a clinical type of school? I have the two science, and the nonscience...but I'm wondering if I should wait for the two other letters to come in, to be complete at 5. The other letters are from:

-Tutoring center I've worked for over 3 years
-Research PIs (2 LORS, not sure which i'll end up using..)
-My current day job
-Attending that I've worked with in the ER to vouch for clinical exp.

Or, would it be better just to be complete at 3, with only academic letters? I couldn't get a firm grasp for what GW's committee members are looking for...blast. maybe i'm just stupid. lol.

I wasn't sure what to take from GW in terms of LORs that I should send...are they are more of a research-type of school, or a clinical type of school? I have the two science, and the nonscience...but I'm wondering if I should wait for the two other letters to come in, to be complete at 5. The other letters are from:

-Tutoring center I've worked for over 3 years
-Research PIs (2 LORS, not sure which i'll end up using..)
-My current day job
-Attending that I've worked with in the ER to vouch for clinical exp.

Or, would it be better just to be complete at 3, with only academic letters? I couldn't get a firm grasp for what GW's committee members are looking for...blast. maybe i'm just stupid. lol.

I would definitely use one of the PIs

Your best bet is to call the admissions office

Hi, just a follow-up for those who may have had the same question as me. I called the GW admissions office yesterday and they said that a faculty letter is not required, just highly recommended so that they can get an idea of your academic performance. Not having a letter from science faculty isn't grounds for immediately tossing your app. :)

Can I submit my secondary before my AMCAS is verified? My AMCAS is ready for review, but I want to go ahead and mail my GW secondary so it will be complete ASAP.

Yes. I am not yet verified, but they have my secondary on file!

Sorry guys if this is a dumb questions, but I just got around to completing GW's secondary (Received it on the 20th on June). Does GW follow the two week rule? Should I still send it in?

Prioritized other schools a bit too much and let this one fall to the wayside while I was on vacation for 8 days. Should I write somewhere sorry for the delay, was out of the country and couldn't submit?

Sorry guys if this is a dumb questions, but I just got around to completing GW's secondary (Received it on the 20th on June). Does GW follow the two week rule? Should I still send it in?

Prioritized other schools a bit too much and let this one fall to the wayside while I was on vacation for 8 days. Should I write somewhere sorry for the delay, was out of the country and couldn't submit?

I think your fine, I'm submitting tonight and received it on the 20th as well. It's still early in the season, and I think schools with a hard deadline will have it stated in the secondary instructions, such as "the deadline to complete the secondary is 30 calendar days."

So are people coming off the hold list to get interview invites or should the on hold people just expect that their file will not be reviewed until Januaryish?

For those of you who faxed your application in, how many days after you faxed it did the status page say that they had received your application?

For everyone in the re-review crew, I have joined the club. My stats are GPA 3.8+, MCAT mid-30's. Maybe I should have sent in my picture, haha.

For everyone in the re-review crew, I have joined the club. My stats are GPA 3.8+, MCAT mid-30's. Maybe I should have sent in my picture, haha.

even though it's still kinda early in the season, it's hard not to get worried. it doesn't sound like a stats thing.

i'm on re-review status as well. hopefully we all get to interview. ~1100 OOS applicants did last year.

Is GW supposed to be pretty holistic?

Does anyone know whether GW would consider a research publication as an academic accomplishment?

Status
Not open for further replies.