2011-2012 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if all final decisions are being sent by email only?

Members don't see this ad.

It's been 2 weeks since may 15th.... Plz move wait list :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
It's been 2 weeks since may 15th.... Plz move wait list :xf:

I'm WL'ed at USU, which has been known to be the school with significantly high WL movement but there hasn't been much movement there either- just to share. Looking at other school threads that seems to be the case for most schools this year.. what gives?!

I'm WL'ed at USU, which has been known to be the school with significantly high WL movement but there hasn't been much movement there either- just to share. Looking at other school threads that seems to be the case for most schools this year.. what gives?!

Bored, wasting time on SDN so I figured I'd take a stab at this:

I think in general schools tend to overdraw. I keep hearing from administrators about this being an exceptionally competitive cycle so maybe people just aren't getting accepted to as many schools as they may have in the past. Hence less WL movement.

Also, with more competitive applicants, more are being interviewed. Thus, larger wait-lists would mean less acceptances proportionally than in past cycles (reflecting what we see on sdn).

As an example, I asked Joan Stearman as USUHS how many they would interview she simply said, "as many people as are qualified," citing the fact that there are an exceptional amount of competitive applicants this year. I think they even added an extra interview day. And NYMC interviewed through April!

At the end of the day, who knows though. This is one crazy process.

Yeah has the waitlist moved at all?
Yes, I was accepted after May 15! This is my first acceptance and I couldn't be more excited. For those who are wondering, notification came by email followed by an official letter in the mail. I believe acceptances will be by email until we get closer to orientation when it will become more imperative to get quick responses from applicants.

Good luck to all who are still waiting!!

Yes, I was accepted after May 15! This is my first acceptance and I couldn't be more excited. For those who are wondering, notification came by email followed by an official letter in the mail. I believe acceptances will be by email until we get closer to orientation when it will become more imperative to get quick responses from applicants.

Good luck to all who are still waiting!!

congratulations!!!!

Congrats! Would you mind telling us when you interviewed and when you were wait listed? Thanks.

Congrats! Would you mind telling us when you interviewed and when you were wait listed? Thanks.

Let's just say that the interview was a long time ago, so this news was very welcome. I will however offer up what the Dean of Admissions said about waitlists at NYMC. I'm sitting on other waitlists as well and each seems to work a little differently. Some are ranked, they give you a numerical score and as the cycle progresses, when they hit your number, you're admitted. At other schools, I'm totally in the dark and I think they play Russian roulette with applications. And at others, they review applicants throughout the cycle, taking into consideration any updates and admit them if the committee decides to have a good day. NYMC seems to most resemble the last category but with a little something extra. At NYMC, I was told by the Dean (also my interviewer) that they try their very best to replace a candidate who withdrew with someone who has a similar profile. I think in my case, there might be some truth to this. On my interview day, there was an applicant with an eerily similar background to mine (we even work in the same building!) and he recently withdrew his acceptance after getting in elsewhere. There is of course no way to know if I got "his" spot but take it for what it might be worth.

Also, I didn't send in any updates or letters. I wrote a nice thank you email after the interview but that was the extent of it. Having said that, if you really want to attend NYMC, take the time to let them know that, it will only help your case. The Dean strongly encouraged us to inundate them with follow-up letters multiple times during my visit.

This is a really nutty process, please don't waste time getting down about it. Be proactive (write letters, retake MCAT, reapply, etc) and try to enjoy the summer!

I leave you with a quote from one of my heroes, Kurt Vonnegut: "I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." (or if you want something more of the sentimental variety, "Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward").

Any current or alumni students know if there are any banks other than BoA in the area (Valhalla)? Just wondering if I need to open an account with BoA to pay for tuition and stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Any current or alumni students know if there are any banks other than BoA in the area (Valhalla)? Just wondering if I need to open an account with BoA to pay for tuition and stuff.

Thanks in advance.

There is a BoA ATM on campus in the MEC (where all your classes are) and supposedly soon to be a TD Bank ATM in the hospital, currently I think it is Chase.

Anyway, to answer your question:
-there are several TD Banks in the area and more and more opening up in NYC but they're all a 10-15min drive away.
-Chase is in Tarrytown and is also the most common bank in NYC

Those are the three main banks people use. What is nice about TD is that they are open late an free checking until 27 I think (or four years from when you open it??) while Chase you have to be 24 or younger, so it's good if you're straight out of college.

There's a Bank of America branch in Tarrytown (3 miles away) and an ATM in the MEC.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a BoA ATM on campus in the MEC (where all your classes are) and supposedly soon to be a TD Bank ATM in the hospital, currently I think it is Chase.

Anyway, to answer your question:
-there are several TD Banks in the area and more and more opening up in NYC but they're all a 10-15min drive away.
-Chase is in Tarrytown and is also the most common bank in NYC

Those are the three main banks people use. What is nice about TD is that they are open late an free checking until 27 I think (or four years from when you open it??) while Chase you have to be 24 or younger, so it's good if you're straight out of college.

There's a Bank of America branch in Tarrytown (3 miles away) and an ATM in the MEC.

Thanks a bunch! I'll look into the benefits these banks provide.

Question, is NYMC strict on their science LOR's? Does anyone know if astronomy will count as a science for them? It's under my physics dept and it's listed as physics for the AAMC course classification..

Question, is NYMC strict on their science LOR's? Does anyone know if astronomy will count as a science for them? It's under my physics dept and it's listed as physics for the AAMC course classification..

Hello, I think when they say science it has to be one of the sciences that count towards your calculated science GPA. So as long as it counts, then you should be fine.

Ugh, why is there barely any waitlist movement this year? :(

seems that some schools overaccepted, affecting waitlist movement

We have 110 in the facebook group (say +/- 30 IRL) so I think there will be more movement.

And anyone who didn't join the group yet, please join!

We are looking for people in the SF Bay area (CA) to ship cars together for group discount. The more the merrier (and cheaper).

I just withdrew from NYMC this past Tuesday. It was a difficult decision because its a great school. Best of luck to people on the waitlist!

Hi All!

Just wanted to share this sad tale for those of you wait listed....

I retook the MCAT in anticipation of having to reapply and had a 4 point improvement (woot!! :D ) so naturally, I called NYMC right away to ask about sending my updated scores. The person on the phone was pretty non-specific about how and what I should send (hmmmm :confused: ). About a day after e-mailing them (I sent a PDF of the "official" AAMC-generated score report) I received a reply from MDADMIT (gasp!! :eek: ) informing me that they would put it in my file but they don't consider MCAT scores from 2012 in their decision for the entering class (booooo :( )

fin

So I never heard anything back from NYMC after my interview. Am I to assume that my rejection letter got lost in the mail?

So I never heard anything back from NYMC after my interview. Am I to assume that my rejection letter got lost in the mail?

You should call them. If a school takes that long to respond to you after an interview it really is imperative that you call. I know someone who got accepted to Downstate last year but Downstate "forgot" to mail the letter (they said they found it on someones desk after she first called) and then twice mailed it to the wrong address.

Hey guys! Is there a facebook group for NYMC class of 2016 yet? If so, can someone share the link!

Has anyone heard of any wait list movement lately? A couple weeks from now they are going to be sitting on my wait list spot and my new application.....

just got accepted via email! 1st acceptance!

i'll gladly pour out my information:
I: 2/9/12 W/L: 4/16/12
MCAT: 34, SGPA:3.67, CGPA: 3.72

I wrote about 3 letters: 1 right after interview, 2 after being waitlisted.

congrats, you're going to be a doctor!

Also accepted off the wait list today and first acceptance! It's moving guys! :D

Nevermind, looked at the email about the date of step 2 for finaid

Last edited:

PARTY TIME!!! :banana:

Also accepted off the wait list today and first acceptance! It's moving guys! :D

congrats to all the newly accepted!! to those waiting for news, keep the faith (easier said than done, i know)!! feel free to PM with Qs!

Just withdrew! Ended up getting off a wait list at another school. Best of luck to everyone waiting!

I'm still on the wait list too... Things aren't looking good.

Yea if the facebook group is any indication, looks like the class is filling up. Oh well, Round two.

any waitlist movement? Keeping my hopes up.

I just got an acceptance e-mail today! Keep the hope alive.

Here is my issue, yesterday, I was offered a 1 year, full time, paid research position with a physician at Hospital for Special Surgery (number 1 ortho hospital in the country). Ortho is my dream of dreams, but I can't imagine turning down an acceptance to medical school and am not sure they will let me defer this late in the game. Anyone? Thoughts? Advice? Help!!!

Take the acceptance or risk forever dreaming about how you could have become a physician

Here is my issue, yesterday, I was offered a 1 year, full time, paid research position with a physician at Hospital for Special Surgery (number 1 ortho hospital in the country). Ortho is my dream of dreams, but I can't imagine turning down an acceptance to medical school and am not sure they will let me defer this late in the game. Anyone? Thoughts? Advice? Help!!!

When I got the packet, it said something along the lines of since it is after June, deferrals will not be considered. So I guess the choice is easy.

hmmm spend a year helping a doctor do research getting paid around 30k while spending thousands of dollars on a reapplication, rewriting secondaries and explaining to medical schools why you didn't accept your only offer last year so that you can go through another year or more with high stress levels, camped out on your email inbox praying for interview invites and acceptances with low odds of an success OR attend medical school now? this is a tough one.

You could always ask if they would let you deffer your acceptance for a year. That way you can get the job and the security of knowing you have a spot waiting for you.

You could always ask if they would let you deffer your acceptance for a year. That way you can get the job and the security of knowing you have a spot waiting for you.

That is what I was initially thinking. After sitting on it for a day and letting the smoke clear, I'm going to take the acceptance and go. Now I just need to change my plane tickets so I can still see my family, pack up my apartment, and move in two weeks. :) :D :laugh: :love: :) :thumbup:

Grats to those with acceptances!

I went in today to talk with one of my professors here at NYMC... He told me that the waitlist isn't really moving. Try, try again.

Just got the acceptance email from NYMC! yea baby. just when i thought all hope was lost

Status
Not open for further replies.