2011-2012 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
are they still giving out interviews?

I actually called yesterday and they told me they are still giving out interview invites till the first week of May!

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard from several sources that they fill about half their class (about 80 people) from the wait list.
Thanks! Do you know about when waitlisted applicants should hear back about final decisions? If you mind me asking, where did you hear this percentage? Thanks again. :)

Thanks! Do you know about when waitlisted applicants should hear back about final decisions? If you mind me asking, where did you hear this percentage? Thanks again. :)

Every School's Waitlist will move after May 15th. Unless they start reducing the waitlist early (due to withdrawals)), the decision will be after May 15th and will run into June and July until the class is full. Once class is Full, they will then reject the remaining waitlisted people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Every School's Waitlist will move after May 15th. Unless they start reducing the waitlist early (due to withdrawals)), the decision will be after May 15th and will run into June and July until the class is full. Once class is Full, they will then reject the remaining waitlisted people.

Won't matter if the class is full, the wait list will still remain, because the class would, and is, already "full" with acceptances. The wait list won't get rejected until orientation. This happens at nearly every school, since people may get off a wait list and go to another school, or sometimes you have people that don't show up and just decide they don't want to do it anymore or defer, whatever. I know someone who was ready to start up at Einstein and got accepted off Mt. Sinai's wait list less than a week before orientation. Not a big move since it's the same city, but it happens. You can look at the MSAR spreadsheet or individual schools' websites, most schools over accept and have a wait list on top of that.

I was wondering this too. And it seems like we wont be able to compare financial aid offers before May 15...

Yeah this is true. The financial aid office said in an email to me that they wont start processing files until "the second or third week in June." How they expect someone to commit to their school without a financial aid package is a little bewildering.

Has NYMC acknowledged anyone's deposit or terms and conditions paper at all? I sent mine in about three weeks ago and just want to make sure they received it. I'm just afraid that they didn't receive it or something. Maybe I will call them on Monday or something.

Has NYMC acknowledged anyone's deposit or terms and conditions paper at all? I sent mine in about three weeks ago and just want to make sure they received it. I'm just afraid that they didn't receive it or something. Maybe I will call them on Monday or something.

I called a week after sending mine and they were able to confirm it over the phone. No paper confirmation though

I mailed my deposit along with my acknowledgment papers and the check was cashed about 2 weeks after I mailed it out. I didn't receive any sort of confirmation though.

By the way, we were told at our interview last week that decisions will be made on all interviewed applicants by May 15th (before the waitlist starts to move)... an acceptance would be beautiful :):xf:

I heard the stat from older sdn forums and looking at other stats and forums online. Seems reasonably accurate but I'm sure it changes year to year.

It seems most people start hearing after may 15. (unfortunate for me as im re-taking the mcat may 12)They told us at my interview that they accepted one person the day before the first day of classes. Fingers are crossed!!! Good luck! :xf: :luck:

Just got accepted into NYMC via email this morning! Still in shock! Best of luck to everyone.

Just got accepted into NYMC via email this morning! Still in shock! Best of luck to everyone.

It's a great feeling, congratulations!! So do you think you'll be going?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know about a second look?

Last I heard there was no second look planned this year. They have a thing to correspond with current students although I have heard nothing from them since I e-mailed in the past few days.

I definitely think so! I am just waiting on the package they mailed out with all the information. The feeling of seeing the Congratulations e-mail was intense.

It's a great feeling, congratulations!! So do you think you'll be going?

I definitely think so! I am just waiting on the package of information that they mailed out. The feeling of seeing the Congratulations was intense.

Last I heard there was no second look planned this year. They have a thing to correspond with current students although I have heard nothing from them since I e-mailed in the past few days.

It takes a few days for them to respond because they are in exam week (last I heard), but they will respond as soon as they can.

I definitely think so! I am just waiting on the package of information that they mailed out. The feeling of seeing the Congratulations was intense.

I like how they send an email first so your heart doesn't skip a beat when you see their letter in the mail. You should definitely join the facebook group!

I like how they send an email first so your heart doesn't skip a beat when you see their letter in the mail. You should definitely join the facebook group!
Ok I will join the facebook group. What is it called? I will look it up now and join. I should find it.

Withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to everyone! NYMC seems like a great school.

Can anyone comment on the scholarships at NYMC? From reading past forums they sent out a package, but others said it was in an email. Was this soon after your acceptance or after the financial aid information was provided. Thanks in advance.

Complete in early August and still no interview invite or rejection. Their interview cycle is so long it makes me feel terrible for their admissions committee.

Can anyone comment on the scholarships at NYMC? From reading past forums they sent out a package, but others said it was in an email. Was this soon after your acceptance or after the financial aid information was provided. Thanks in advance.

My situation: I had more than one good school as my option and they probably waited for me to make a decision but I did not do anything for a while and right before the day we had to stay only with one school (May something) they offered me a scholarship. I am not sure about the criteria for scholarship, but if they wanna keep you, they will try. Also, first I got the e-mail and than the letter. I believe their scholarships are up to $20,000/year.

Last edited:
My situation: I had more than one good school as my option and they probably waited for me to make a decision but I did not do anything for a while and right before the day we had to stay only with one school (May something) they offered me a scholarship. I am not sure about the criteria for scholarship, but if they wanna keep you, they will try. Also, first I got the e-mail and than the letter. I believe their scholarships are up to $20,000/year.

Thank you for the information! :) looks like Im going to have to hold out to see if anyone offers me anything.

Just withdrew my acceptance. Hope one of you on the waitlist gets it!

The threads have been kind of dead lately. I guess we are all waiting for those WLs to start moving.

Best of Luck to all of us still waiting!

officially rejected. :p Not news to me though since interviewing invites have been done for some while.

Hey Everyone,
Current first year here. I remember obsessing over these SDN boards last year so I thought I'd post some info from my own personal experience and also offer to answer any questions about the school if you want to PM me. Med school is a bitch, a lot of work, a big adjustment, unlike anything you've done academically in the past, but as far as quality of life goes, I am very happy to be here at NYMC. It is a very warm, embracing community(professors, administration and student body)... the students are very sociable, friendly, helpful and non-competitive and I've made a ton of definite life long friends already. I interviewed here very early (Sept. 10 I believe), was waitlisted in december, then not accepted until June 1. I lived in NYC before attending so I was afraid it was going to be way too slow here for me, but I am happy to say that NYC is close enough to go out to on a weekend night or even just go to for dinner on a random evening. I actually feel happy to not have gone to a school in NYC proper (although that was my first choice during the application period) as one of the perk of being in the 'burbs is that there really are less distractions and its easier to lock yourself away in a library cubicle and get your learn on. I lived on campus this year, which I would recommend the first year in order to make lots of friends and become part of the community in a deeper way, but am moving off campus for next year. Questions? Comments? Thoughts? PM me or I'll try to check back here soon to respond to anything else. Good luck guys, take a big breath and enjoy the summer before matriculating... starting med school is def a major shock to one's body and mind.

Hey Everyone,
Current first year here. I remember obsessing over these SDN boards last year so I thought I'd post some info from my own personal experience and also offer to answer any questions about the school if you want to PM me. Med school is a bitch, a lot of work, a big adjustment, unlike anything you've done academically in the past, but as far as quality of life goes, I am very happy to be here at NYMC. It is a very warm, embracing community(professors, administration and student body)... the students are very sociable, friendly, helpful and non-competitive and I've made a ton of definite life long friends already. I interviewed here very early (Sept. 10 I believe), was waitlisted in december, then not accepted until June 1. I lived in NYC before attending so I was afraid it was going to be way too slow here for me, but I am happy to say that NYC is close enough to go out to on a weekend night or even just go to for dinner on a random evening. I actually feel happy to not have gone to a school in NYC proper (although that was my first choice during the application period) as one of the perk of being in the 'burbs is that there really are less distractions and its easier to lock yourself away in a library cubicle and get your learn on. I lived on campus this year, which I would recommend the first year in order to make lots of friends and become part of the community in a deeper way, but am moving off campus for next year. Questions? Comments? Thoughts? PM me or I'll try to check back here soon to respond to anything else. Good luck guys, take a big breath and enjoy the summer before matriculating... starting med school is def a major shock to one's body and mind.

Truth.

How long did it take you to adjust to medical school (drinking from the fire hydrant)?

It took me longer than most to adjust to the workload I think (though who knows as people really don't tell you how they did on tests and everyone acts like they are ace-ing everything all the time) so I only know my grades. I always felt like I was working harder than everyone else and remembering less. It took me a while to realize how inefficient I was being in some respects, and I am just starting to feel particularly comfortable now, after the first set of exams in the third block of the year (better late than never right?). But I also came from a non-science background(humanities major), took a few years off from school, and only took the bare minimum of science courses in order to apply. If i could go back and do it all again, I would have taken biochem courses, physiology courses and latin in college.

finally rejected pre-interview via email. that took a while :laugh:

Accepted, yay~
If anyone was wondering, my stats are;
31R, cum3.89, sci3.9, OOS (no home state)
research heavy ECs

It's really nice seeing an acceptance after 19 rejections.

Accepted, yay~
If anyone was wondering, my stats are;
31R, cum3.89, sci3.9, OOS (no home state)
research heavy ECs

It's really nice seeing an acceptance after 19 rejections.

Congrats!!! How do they notify you?

Accepted via E-mail this afternoon! Will attend as I liked NYMC. And only a two week turnaround!! :)

When did y'all interview? I interviewed 4/26 and have yet to hear.

Interviewed last week 5/2 and accepted today 5/9! Very excited but deciding between 2 school so going to have to make a decision quick. Good luck to those still waiting to hear back

i interviewed 4/16. nothing yet. you must have had good stats for such a quick turnaround. or a great interview, either way, congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.