2011-2012 Ohio State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the call last night around 9pm!

Interviewed way back in the fall, was on the wait list from probably 3 months or so...

Summary: Don't give up hope!

To those of you who have already been accepted... what is the next step for me as far as financial aid goes? I couldn't clearly discern it from the website.

Cheers and best of luck to everyone still in limbo.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's the part where we all hope that Dr. Capers got too busy and that he'll make our acceptance phone calls tomorrow...

Then tomorrow afternoon, someone posts that they got the call last night. :(

Got the call last night around 9pm!

Interviewed way back in the fall, was on the wait list from probably 3 months or so...

Summary: Don't give up hope!

To those of you who have already been accepted... what is the next step for me as far as financial aid goes? I couldn't clearly discern it from the website.

Cheers and best of luck to everyone still in limbo.

I KNEW IT! OSU should accept me because I can tell the future!! Jk, congrats Apropos!! Gives me some hope since I've been deferred since my interview in January. :xf:

for those of you who interviewed on monday, did they mention when their last committee review date would be? is it supposed to be 4/2 or 4/9?

Members don't see this ad :)
To those of you who have already been accepted... what is the next step for me as far as financial aid goes? I couldn't clearly discern it from the website..

Congratulations! From the March newsletter:

"You will receive an email notification in late April informing you to view your online award letter. This online letter will list all scholarships (both merit and need) and loans that you are being offered for the upcoming school year.

To accept your loans, please follow the instructions on your online award letter notification as your loans will NOT automatically be applied to your student account. Once you have taken the necessary steps to accept your loans, the loans will automatically go first to pay your University tuition and fees each semester. Any remainder of loan funding will go to you each semester.

If you are still unsure that you will be attending OSU, you do not need to accept your loans when you view your award letter online. Instead, you can wait as late as June 1st to accept your loans and for them still to apply to the upcoming school year.

If you have not already done so, you will want to go to
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]www.fafsa.ed.gov ..and file your FAFSA if you want to receive federal loan funding to help you pay your schooling costs. By filing the FAFSA, you can qualify for $42,000 in federal loan funding. Our school code is 003090."

they said 7-10 days unless there is an unexpected delay so I imagine they'll meet on 4/2, but I'm not sure how many more meeting they'll have after that to review deferred files, etc.

Anyone going to be signing up for the Summer session of that WVU online anatomy course?

I'll probably be jumping on that pretty soon. I guess it's okay to only take the lecture component, right?

Pretty sure you have to do the lab portion as well

Pretty sure you have to do the lab portion as well

The website says lab is preferred but not required. However, I'll double check with them just to make sure that this statement also applies to online courses.

Congratulations! From the March newsletter:

"You will receive an email notification in late April informing you to view your online award letter. This online letter will list all scholarships (both merit and need) and loans that you are being offered for the upcoming school year.

To accept your loans, please follow the instructions on your online award letter notification as your loans will NOT automatically be applied to your student account. Once you have taken the necessary steps to accept your loans, the loans will automatically go first to pay your University tuition and fees each semester. Any remainder of loan funding will go to you each semester.

If you are still unsure that you will be attending OSU, you do not need to accept your loans when you view your award letter online. Instead, you can wait as late as June 1st to accept your loans and for them still to apply to the upcoming school year.

If you have not already done so, you will want to go to
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]www.fafsa.ed.gov ..and file your FAFSA if you want to receive federal loan funding to help you pay your schooling costs. By filing the FAFSA, you can qualify for $42,000 in federal loan funding. Our school code is 003090."

Cheers. So do we need to submit anything other than a FAFSA ? (W-2s, taxes, Scholarship apps, etc.)

Cheers. So do we need to submit anything other than a FAFSA ? (W-2s, taxes, Scholarship apps, etc.)

The federal government takes your financial situation into consideration through the FAFSA, W-2s, and tax information. As long as you've submitted those to the feds, you should be golden.

Merit, financial need, and other special scholarships from donors are awarded from OSU without needing to applying for them. There are additional scholarships that require application. (Also, you could seek out local scholarships for medical/health students in your area.) Check out this link: http://medicine.osu.edu/students/financial_services/scholarships/pages/index.aspx

The federal government takes your financial situation into consideration through the FAFSA, W-2s, and tax information. As long as you've submitted those to the feds, you should be golden.

Merit, financial need, and other special scholarships from donors are awarded from OSU without needing to applying for them. There are additional scholarships that require application. (Also, you could seek out local scholarships for medical/health students in your area.) Check out this link: http://medicine.osu.edu/students/financial_services/scholarships/pages/index.aspx

Thanks again. That was quite helpful.

The office of admissions has informed me that the lab portion is optional. Only the lecture component is required.

As someone taking both components right now, I would say DO NOT take the lab if you don't have to. It is a waste of money, and covers roughly the same content. It is also a lot more work than the "lecture" component. To put it simply, when you take the lab, the number of tests you have to take over the term increases from 4 to 10.

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone taking both components right now, I would say DO NOT take the lab if you don't have to. It is a waste of money, and covers roughly the same content. It is also a lot more work than the "lecture" component. To put it simply, when you take the lab, the number of tests you have to take over the term increases from 4 to 10.

I completely agree.

Does anyone know when the first day is for matriculating students (or at least a close approximation)? I know they start in August, but does anyone know when in August?

I believe it is aug 22 assuming similar dates to the other schools at osu

I recently emailed to ask about the first day (planning vacation beforehand) and received an email back saying that orientation for those entering in the fall of 2012 is August 6th.

Has anyone been waitlisted directly after an interview or do most people get deferred then waitlisted?

Does anyone know if the class is full yet?

didn't get a call last night... so I was completely floored this morning when I got an email about a status change to ACCEPTED! woohoo!!! loved ohio state on my interview day :)

didn't get a call last night... so I was completely floored this morning when I got an email about a status change to ACCEPTED! woohoo!!! loved ohio state on my interview day :)

Congratulations!! I keep hoping for that myself. When did you interview?

Accepted via email this morning !!!

Very happy. Interviewed on 2/29.

Also accepted this morning! Super excited :) Interviewed way back on 10/24.

congrats everyone!! you will love it here!

Sweet tapdancing Jesus Christ I was also accepted today via status change.

Pretty damn sure I'll be here next year! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!^&%@$*&!^

EDIT: Does anything (forms, etc.) come via snail-mail?

Last edited:
OMG!!! OSU :D This school is by far my #1 choice with regards to how close it is to my home and family :)

Could any of you successful applicants give me tips about the weight of your Secondaries and Interview? What did you guys like most about the school? Could someone elaborate on the innovative curriculum they're implementing? What 3rd year like? Please, please please give me any other tips and insights! I love the Bucks and Columbus with all my heart !! :love:

Sweet tapdancing Jesus Christ I was also accepted today via status change.

Pretty damn sure I'll be here next year! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!^&%@$*&!^

EDIT: Does anything (forms, etc.) come via snail-mail?

Yes, the form and envelope to send them the deposit came via snail mail. Also, a letter stating any requirements you may need to meet, e.g. the Anatomy course.

Last edited:
it'd be nice to get the fin. aid letters soon

i'd called and it seems like mid april is the time... should be purty soon! though i looked at the site again and the merit admissions stuff started being given out in december. sooo the chance i thought i mighta had there just got supersmaller :/

Just removed my name from the deferred applicant pool. Good luck to everyone else!

If I am deferred, about when does that usually change (either to not accepted, accepted, or waitlist)? Hopefully it isn't as late as May 15th...

Also, in the event I am waitlisted, does anyone PLEASE have any stats on the percentage of people who get accepted off the waitlist (and preferably also when they get accepted--if it is May/June or first day of classes). I would be MOST appreciative of this information. Even if I don't get on the waitlist, I'm sure there will be many who do who will want this information. I tried searching SDN, but I couldn't find it...

Thank you! Good luck everyone!

If I am deferred, about when does that usually change (either to not accepted, accepted, or waitlist)? Hopefully it isn't as late as May 15th...

Also, in the event I am waitlisted, does anyone PLEASE have any stats on the percentage of people who get accepted off the waitlist (and preferably also when they get accepted--if it is May/June or first day of classes). I would be MOST appreciative of this information. Even if I don't get on the waitlist, I'm sure there will be many who do who will want this information. I tried searching SDN, but I couldn't find it...

Thank you! Good luck everyone!

Deferred applicants could (and have) be accepted any time the adcom meets to go over interviewed applicants. If you're not accepted by May 15, you'll be placed on the waitlist.

I don't know what percentage of applicants are accepted off the waitlist, but the admissions office told me that roughly 25% of all deferred applicants are expected to be accepted (including waitlist acceptances).

Hey, does anyone know how to find the Facebook group for the entering class? Search isn't bringing it up for me.

Anybody know if the admissions committee is still meeting on a biweekly basis now that all interviewed applicants have been reviewed at least once?

Sent from my SPH-M920 using SDN Mobile

Hey, does anyone know how to find the Facebook group for the entering class? Search isn't bringing it up for me.

type in facebook "The Ohio State University College of Medicine Class of 2016"

I just recently got accepted and am still deciding where to go. For those who are current med students who started last year, I heard you experienced one block of the new curriculum and wanted to get some more opinions. What did you think of the new curriculum compared to the old?

I just recently got accepted and am still deciding where to go. For those who are current med students who started last year, I heard you experienced one block of the new curriculum and wanted to get some more opinions. What did you think of the new curriculum compared to the old?

bumping for ^

anyone get their financial aid yet?

Does anyone know what the last date to register for the summer session of anatomy is?

I'm not 100% sure, but I seem to remember reading that it's May 15th. If you check the website for the online course (I think the link is on the med school website under "anatomy requirement") it should be there.

I'm not 100% sure, but I seem to remember reading that it's May 15th. If you check the website for the online course (I think the link is on the med school website under "anatomy requirement") it should be there.

You have to complete the course before matriculation. I think they were asking when is the latest you can register for the online WVU anatomy course.

As far as the curriculum goes, this is what I have heard (I tried asking the current med students at my interview and they didn't seem to know much because, well, they weren't taking it):

- within the first month or so, first years will be certified medical assistants, so we will actually be useful during the clinical experiences the first two years
- there is no independent study option/track anymore
- some of our classwork will be done through eModules. These used to be a huge component of the independent study program. From what I've heard, it seems to be like you get an outline of what you need to know (ex: bullet points like: the path of electricity through the heart, how to read an EKG, etc) and you go find the answers. Again, this is just what I've heard
- anatomy will be stretched out over two years instead of front loaded.
- they will be moving to an organ based curriculum. So it seems that we will have a cardio section in which we will dissect out the heart, learn the physiology, study the pathology, and pharmacology all in one go, instead of doing normal function the first year and abnormal the second.

I imagine thats why they want us to have the prior anatomy requirement.

I plan to ask more detailed questions at second look. The e modules in particular make me nervous. Also, from what I can get off of the website, it appears that we will be in class/lecture almost 8 hrs a day, all five days a week. :/

As far as the curriculum goes, this is what I have heard (I tried asking the current med students at my interview and they didn't seem to know much because, well, they weren't taking it):

- within the first month or so, first years will be certified medical assistants, so we will actually be useful during the clinical experiences the first two years
- there is no independent study option/track anymore
- some of our classwork will be done through eModules. These used to be a huge component of the independent study program. From what I've heard, it seems to be like you get an outline of what you need to know (ex: bullet points like: the path of electricity through the heart, how to read an EKG, etc) and you go find the answers. Again, this is just what I've heard
- anatomy will be stretched out over two years instead of front loaded.
- they will be moving to an organ based curriculum. So it seems that we will have a cardio section in which we will dissect out the heart, learn the physiology, study the pathology, and pharmacology all in one go, instead of doing normal function the first year and abnormal the second.

I imagine thats why they want us to have the prior anatomy requirement.

I plan to ask more detailed questions at second look. The e modules in particular make me nervous. Also, from what I can get off of the website, it appears that we will be in class/lecture almost 8 hrs a day, all five days a week. :/

Can someone verify this? Seems to be contradicted on their website, which admittedly may be out of date.

yea that's gone, they still have it up on website, but next year is the beginning of the LSI curriculum. There's not going to be 8 hours of lecture a day though

Can someone verify this? Seems to be contradicted on their website, which admittedly may be out of date.

I talked to Dr. Capers about this- there won't be an independent study track with the new curriculum for next year

Status
Not open for further replies.