2022-2023 UC Davis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you @Glassdyr for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 UC Davis Secondary Essay Prompts (500 characters each)

1. Discuss any elements of your application that you feel might be concerning to the Admissions Committee (This could include explanation of metric trends, institutional actions, legal violations, etc.) Please enter N/A if no concerns to report.

2. Do you have a connection to Northern or Central California? [yes/no] Please explain:

And lots of special questions for the special programs:

Rural-PRIME:
1. Are you interested in applying to the Rural-PRIME program? [yes/no] Please describe how your experiences with rural communities make you a good fit for the Rural-PRIME program.
2. Describe your future plans to serve a rural underserved community.

TEACH-MS:
Are you interested in applying to the TEACH-MS program? [yes/no] Please tell us what experiences have shaped your desire to be a primary care physician in urban underserved communities.

ACE-PC:
Are you interested in applying to the ACE-PC? [yes/no] Please tell us what attributes or experiences would make you a good fit for an accelerated program in primary care.

REACH:
Are you interested in applying to the REACH program? [yes/no] Please tell us about your ties to Central California and what you have done, or plan to do, to make a positive change in Central California.

Tribal Health PRIME:
Are you interested in applying to the Tribal Health PRIME? [yes/no] What experiences have you had with rural and/or underserved communities/populations? More specifically, what involvement have you had with tribal communities/populations?

ARC-MD:
Are you interested in applying to ARC-MD? [yes/no] Academic Research Careers for Medical Doctors (ARC-MD) is a five (5) year honors pathway that mentors students who envision a career as research faculty in a medical school or who want to use research and quality improvement methods to improve health in their community. These students are drawn from diverse backgrounds and committed to research as a foundational aspect of their career. That research may include basic-translational research, clinical-translational research, community engaged research, or policy and advocacy. Prior research experience or related activity as an undergraduate is preferred. Tell us about how you could see yourself as a faculty of the future and how biomedical research will play a role in your career as currently envisioned."

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
University of California Davis School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know that secondaries for the 2022-23 cycle are not out yet, but I just started prepping for pre-writing. I'm from the Bay Area and was wondering how people from the Bay Area addressed the previous secondary question regarding your connections to Northern/Central California, since I don't think that the Bay Area would be counted as NorCal?

I don't think that the Bay Area would be counted as NorCal?
Maybe it's just me but I always considered the Bay as a part of NorCal? Coming from a Bay Area native, born and raised. It might be just me though and maybe UCD has different parameters for what is counted... would be news to me

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe it's just me but I always considered the Bay as a part of NorCal? Coming from a Bay Area native, born and raised. It might be just me though and maybe UCD has different parameters for what is counted... would be news to me
It's a little bit controversial I would say in regards to healthcare since the Bay Area has a plethora of healthcare providers and is "richer" than other areas of California, while Northern and Central California have problems with access to healthcare. I don't know- I just don't want to sound like I can cater to areas that I don't necessarily have familiarity with.

It's a little bit controversial I would say in regards to healthcare since the Bay Area has a plethora of healthcare providers and is "richer" than other areas of California, while Northern and Central California have problems with access to healthcare. I don't know- I just don't want to sound like I can cater to areas that I don't necessarily have familiarity with.
You’re overthinking things already. It’s not controversial in the least to claim the Bay Area is in Northern California. Nobody and I do mean NOBODY would bat an eye at that. Going down the rabbit hole of what areas of Ca have poorer access to healthcare has nothing to do with how the state is grouped geographically.

Reactions: 1 users
I know that secondaries for the 2022-23 cycle are not out yet, but I just started prepping for pre-writing. I'm from the Bay Area and was wondering how people from the Bay Area addressed the previous secondary question regarding your connections to Northern/Central California, since I don't think that the Bay Area would be counted as NorCal?
Yes, I know 100% that it is. People are saying its "controversial", but as someone that interviewed at UCD for the 2021-2022 cycle, I know that there was many people that interviewed the same day as me that said they lived in the bay. I live in Solano County (I wouldn't say its the bay but its within 45 mins of it) and they definitely considered it Northern California.

EDIT: Just a sidenote, I know some may say that the Bay is just full of high-income families, but please remember the outrageously high rate of homelessness in the bay area -- just because you live in high-income areas does NOT mean there are not plenty of underserved folks that need assistance. Plus, high income is relative. Yes, the median income is high, but remember how disgustingly high the cost of living is in those areas as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Bay Area is considered part of Nor Cal when answering this question. If you are from the rural parts of Nor Cal you might consider highlighting that and possibly talk about rural medicine in an underserved population.

Reactions: 1 user
You’re overthinking things already. It’s not controversial in the least to claim the Bay Area is in Northern California. Nobody and I do mean NOBODY would bat an eye at that. Going down the rabbit hole of what areas of Ca have poorer access to healthcare has nothing to do with how the state is grouped geographically.
yeah, that totally makes sense. i think i was being a little too nitpicky because of people's opinions about the bay area. that's good to hear that i can definitely write about my connections to norcal.

Yes, I know 100% that it is. People are saying its "controversial", but as someone that interviewed at UCD for the 2021-2022 cycle, I know that there was many people that interviewed the same day as me that said they lived in the bay. I live in Solano County (I wouldn't say its the bay but its within 45 mins of it) and they definitely considered it Northern California.

EDIT: Just a sidenote, I know some may say that the Bay is just full of high-income families, but please remember the outrageously high rate of homelessness in the bay area -- just because you live in high-income areas does NOT mean there are not plenty of underserved folks that need assistance. Plus, high income is relative. Yes, the median income is high, but remember how disgustingly high the cost of living is in those areas as well.
gotcha - thanks so much for your input! glad i can write about being a bay area native.

I've got a dumb question so forgive me... For the prompt that says list three activities and then explain them, do we have 500 characters for each activity or is that for all of them?

I've got a dumb question so forgive me... For the prompt that says list three activities and then explain them, do we have 500 characters for each activity or is that for all of them?
I think it's 500 characters for each activity. Because 500 to explain "in detail" all three is impossible lol

I think it's 500 characters for each activity. Because 500 to explain "in detail" all three is impossible lol
That's what I figured, I just didn't want to pour my heart into something to basically just have to throw it away later.
Thank you!

Also, can I take a second to vent about having to write about something that is probably in our primary with fewer characters to talk about it? WHY?!?! I feel like it is a waste of an ADCOMs time to read the same thing twice..

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, can I take a second to vent about having to write about something that is probably in our primary with fewer characters to talk about it? WHY?!?! I feel like it is a waste of an ADCOMs time to read the same thing twice..
I think that the unique thing about the UCD prompt is that it asks specifically how the experience prepared you for a career in medicine whereas the primary app the focus is to just talk about the experience, what you did, and your impact.

Reactions: 1 users
I think that the unique thing about the UCD prompt is that it asks specifically how the experience prepared you for a career in medicine whereas the primary app the focus is to just talk about the experience, what you did, and your impact.
I get that, but none of us REALLY know what med school is like... we can guess and make conclusions from what people tell us, but ultimately we have no idea.

…and I would add that they want you to pick of all the things you’ve done, which 3 are most important to you for the aspect of why medicine.

I get that, but none of us REALLY know what med school is like... we can guess and make conclusions from what people tell us, but ultimately we have no idea.
I don’t think it’s asking about medical school but more so your potential career path AFTER medical school. You can talk about what you see yourself doing and what led you to that type of care, advocacy, etc.

You don’t know what med school is like, yes. But you must have a passion for why you want to be a doctor. Right? What’s driving that passion. How do you know that’s what you want to do. The reason why med schools want you to have experience in clinical care is to see how you feel about it. They want to see if I you have passion for the kind of things you want to do or you believe doctors do. THat’s why they want to see clinical work and not just research and not just your grades in the sciences. They want to know if you really know what you are getting yourself into and whether you LOVE what you are doing and LOVE what you experience in your clinical work. Basically, they want to see if your passion for medicine is there. That’s one of the things that they want to see and experience when they read your essays. PASSION. Get that in writing and let it live in your writing. Some schools want to see the same passion in your love for science and research as well. That’s why there’s so many essays that allow you to show our passion for all the things that are important in becoming a doctor. That’s why they want you to elaborate on the 3 activities — to get an idea of why those 3. This is your chance to show them what you are passionate about and hopefully you can convince the reader of your essays. (Easier said than done)

I got my secondary today and already submitted it, but it still says that my application is incomplete. Is this just because they don't have my PREview score yet?

So we cant get a secondary if we dont complete the AAMC Preview Exam

Received IS secondary at 8:03 pm.

Last edited:
IS +1. Good luck to everyone applying, especially my fellow alumni. Davis premeds are both so hardworking yet so empathetic and real. I would be thrilled to attend medical school with you all.

@wysdoc Prompts are all the same as last year. All are 500 characters.
"Discuss any elements of your application that you feel might be concerning to the Admissions Committee (This could include explanation of metric trends, institutional actions, legal violations, etc.) Please enter N/A if no concerns to report."

"Do you have a connection to Northern or Central California? [yes/no] Please explain:"

Rural-PRIME:
1. "Are you interested in applying to the Rural-PRIME program? [yes/no] Please describe how your experiences with rural communities make you a good fit for the Rural-PRIME program."
2. "Describe your future plans to serve a rural underserved community."

TEACH-MS:
"Are you interested in applying to the TEACH-MS program? [yes/no] Please tell us what experiences have shaped your desire to be a primary care physician in urban underserved communities."

ACE-PC: "Are you interested in applying to the ACE-PC? [yes/no] Please tell us what attributes or experiences would make you a good fit for an accelerated program in primary care."

REACH: "Are you interested in applying to the REACH program? [yes/no] Please tell us about your ties to Central California and what you have done, or plan to do, to make a positive change in Central California."
Tribal Health PRIME: "Are you interested in applying to the Tribal Health PRIME? [yes/no] What experiences have you had with rural and/or underserved communities/populations? More specifically, what involvement have you had with tribal communities/populations?"

ARC-MD: "Are you interested in applying to ARC-MD? [yes/no] Academic Research Careers for Medical Doctors (ARC-MD) is a five (5) year honors pathway that mentors students who envision a career as research faculty in a medical school or who want to use research and quality improvement methods to improve health in their community. These students are drawn from diverse backgrounds and committed to research as a foundational aspect of their career. That research may include basic-translational research, clinical-translational research, community engaged research, or policy and advocacy. Prior research experience or related activity as an undergraduate is preferred. Tell us about how you could see yourself as a faculty of the future and how biomedical research will play a role in your career as currently envisioned."

Apologies for double posting.

Does anyone know if you can decline acceptance to a PRIME program without jeopardizing your admission to the general medical school? I understand that you can be rejected from PRIME but still be accepted to the med school, but I wasn't sure if it works in the converse.

Does anyone know if you can decline acceptance to a PRIME program without jeopardizing your admission to the general medical school? I understand that you can be rejected from PRIME but still be accepted to the med school, but I wasn't sure if it works in the converse.
You are evaluated first for general medical school and then you will be evaluated for the particular pathway you expressed interest in.

I believe I read somewhere that you have the option to decline the acceptance to that pathway program by May 12th. someone correct me if im wrong tho

does anyone have any advice on writing the activities in 500 characters... im struggling haha

IS +1. Good luck to everyone applying, especially my fellow alumni. Davis premeds are both so hardworking yet so empathetic and real. I would be thrilled to attend medical school with you all.

@wysdoc Prompts are all the same as last year. All are 500 characters.
"Discuss any elements of your application that you feel might be concerning to the Admissions Committee (This could include explanation of metric trends, institutional actions, legal violations, etc.) Please enter N/A if no concerns to report."

"Do you have a connection to Northern or Central California? [yes/no] Please explain:"

Rural-PRIME:
1. "Are you interested in applying to the Rural-PRIME program? [yes/no] Please describe how your experiences with rural communities make you a good fit for the Rural-PRIME program."

TEACH-MS:
"Are you interested in applying to the TEACH-MS program? [yes/no] Please tell us what experiences have shaped your desire to be a primary care physician in urban underserved communities."

ACE-PC: "Are you interested in applying to the ACE-PC? [yes/no] Please tell us what attributes or experiences would make you a good fit for an accelerated program in primary care."

REACH: "Are you interested in applying to the REACH program? [yes/no] Please tell us about your ties to Central California and what you have done, or plan to do, to make a positive change in Central California."
Tribal Health PRIME: "Are you interested in applying to the Tribal Health PRIME? [yes/no] What experiences have you had with rural and/or underserved communities/populations? More specifically, what involvement have you had with tribal communities/populations?"

ARC-MD: "Are you interested in applying to ARC-MD? [yes/no] Academic Research Careers for Medical Doctors (ARC-MD) is a five (5) year honors pathway that mentors students who envision a career as research faculty in a medical school or who want to use research and quality improvement methods to improve health in their community. These students are drawn from diverse backgrounds and committed to research as a foundational aspect of their career. That research may include basic-translational research, clinical-translational research, community engaged research, or policy and advocacy. Prior research experience or related activity as an undergraduate is preferred. Tell us about how you could see yourself as a faculty of the future and how biomedical research will play a role in your career as currently envisioned."
Hi, is it 500 characters with space or without space?

Hi, I am still waiting for my secondaries but wanted to ask which activities you are referring to?
they ask for you to pick three activties and briefly explain it and the significance. They ask you to think about how it prepared you for medicine and if there is any evidence of accomplishment! It's only 500 characters each though

they ask for you to pick three activties and briefly explain it and the significance. They ask you to think about how it prepared you for medicine and if there is any evidence of accomplishment! It's only 500 characters each though
Hi is it in addition to the prompt posted above? or below

Rural-PRIME:

TEACH-MS:

+1 IS secondary received today; submitted primary 6/7; verified 7/6. Also a NorCal resident (but attended college OOS)

+1 IS (NorCal) verified 06/06 received secondary today.

Hi is it in addition to the prompt posted above? or below

[direct copy/paste of the prompts I posted]

It is probably best to wait for your secondary and look through old SDN threads before you attempt to ask/answer questions! :)

do they screen based on stats?
No. They are one of the few schools who actually read the entire application and are holistic in their approach. But they definitely have a mission so I would suggest you read their mission and see if your experience and goals fit with what they are looking for. Good luck.

No. They are one of the few schools who actually read the entire application and are holistic in their approach. But they definitely have a mission so I would suggest you read their mission and see if your experience and goals fit with what they are looking for. Good luck.
I'm from Norcal, 10 mins from the school. I have an MCAT on the lower side (500). I did retake it. I applied last year and never got a secondary.

Secondary received today!! IS, primary verified on 6/27

anyone get a secondary with low stats? (3.4 or below GPA, 502 or below MCAT?)

I'm from Norcal, 10 mins from the school. I have an MCAT on the lower side (500). I did retake it. I applied last year and never got a secondary.
Getting a secondary isn’t automatic. They read the application. They look at all your metrics and from there they will determine whether you get a secondary. So if you didn’t get a secondary re-look at your application and figure out what you can improve for the next cycle.

Getting a secondary isn’t automatic. They read the application. They look at all your metrics and from there they will determine whether you get a secondary. So if you didn’t get a secondary re-look at your application and figure out what you can improve for the next cycle.
I did improve my application for the current cycle. just waiting for the mcat score. they may be waiting for that to send me a secondary.

My app was verified 6/10. Still haven’t received anything from Davis. Should I assume I won’t be getting a secondary from them? IS and grew up in the Bay Area. I retook the MCAT (score is being released on Tuesday) so are they waiting for that?