2012-2013 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey saveourpens, are you sure you weren't December 11? I interviewed that day and we did that also haha

Ha I checked my phone and mistaked interview day for traveling so I did indeed interview on the 11th. They should've had a better set up!
 
Just withdrew my application from here. Interview was scheduled for 2/4.
Hopefully this goes to someone else who needs it 🙂
Best of luck to everyone!
 
Anyone heard any new info on when the first round of acceptances or decisions will be coming out? I'm guessing next week if there aren't any responses today?
 
Does anybody know if AMC has international clinical electives? I can't find it on the site! The best I could find is this: http://www.amc.edu/Academic/Undergraduate/SeniorCollegeElectives/Off_Campus_Electives.cfm
If anybody could find at least a list of countries where students could go, I would appreciate it very much!

I don't get the impression that there are too many, but I'm still just a 2nd year so they haven't let us know too much about clinicals yet. Most of the third year rotations are in Albany or nearby. I think the farthest out I've heard is Cooperstown which is maybe 1.5 hours away to the west. There's also some stuff in Glens Falls which is an hour north (and I think there's something farther north in the mountains, but I'm not 100% sure), and Hudson, an hour south. Family Med is an exception; it's a block which you can do away during third year, and there's a list of preceptors available around the country, but I don't know if there are international options.

Fourth year is more flexible, and I'm sure you could find opportunities during that time, but you might have to be proactive about it.
I do know that there is a clinic in Uganda that our Family Med department has an elective set up for:
http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/...national/opps/residencies/albanyfmrespro.html
Also, Dr. Bob Pagelow and a few other physicians also often do medical mission trips and take students with them (usually African nations if I recall correctly).

A number of students do volunteer work during the summer between 1st and 2nd year abroad, but most of those programs are not affiliated with the school.

There is a global health club that is trying to get more opportunities, but they are a fairly new group.
 
Spoke to admissions office. They said all interview spots are filled up to April. Unless people withdraw, no more interview spots are open. Hoping for some withdrawals. Please, if you're not interested or are on the fence, let me have a spot.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Spoke to admissions office. They said all interview spots are filled up to April. Unless people withdraw, no more interview spots are open. Hoping for some withdrawals. Please, if you're not interested or are on the fence, let me have a spot.

Thanks for the info.. will go ahead and update my spreadsheet to note 'rejection' here... but why can't they be courteous and send out rejections??
 
Spoke to admissions office. They said all interview spots are filled up to April. Unless people withdraw, no more interview spots are open. Hoping for some withdrawals. Please, if you're not interested or are on the fence, let me have a spot.

Any chance they mentioned when first decisions are coming?
 
Any chance they mentioned when first decisions are coming?

Sorry, didn't ask them anything about decisions since I didn't even interview yet. The person was pretty helpful so I'd give them a call if you're really curious. I'm sure she'd be more than happy to answer your question.
 
I think Albany actually has the same tuition for both out of state and in state students. It's just high for both 😛
 
i just called the admissions office, the woman said they're looking to send out the first decisions in the next couple of weeks. I asked them if I would be in the first batch of decisions (interviewed 1/3) and she said that "probably" but she can't be certain.

She's so nice, open and helpful for an admissions person, it scares me...
 
i just called the admissions office, the woman said they're looking to send out the first decisions in the next couple of weeks. I asked them if I would be in the first batch of decisions (interviewed 1/3) and she said that "probably" but she can't be certain.

She's so nice, open and helpful for an admissions person, it scares me...

Eeeeeek. How long is a 'couple of weeks'?
 
Does anybody know if they separate BS/MD candidates' interviews from traditional students' interviews? My BS/MD interview is coming up, and I was just curious 🙂
 
Does anybody know if they separate BS/MD candidates' interviews from traditional students' interviews? My BS/MD interview is coming up, and I was just curious 🙂

They have separated them in previous years, but not sure since we switched to MMI this year. It's likely that they will keep them separate this year too, since it makes sense to standardize the scenarios given to the Union/RPI/Siena cohorts.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Pre-interview rejection via email yesterday. Applied 8/20, complete around mid-October. Good luck to all of you still in the running!
 
Pre-interview rejection today. Complete early October.
3.36Sgpa, 3.27Cgpa, 30P. Knew this school was a long shot, good luck to everyone.
 
Spoke to admissions office. They said all interview spots are filled up to April. Unless people withdraw, no more interview spots are open. Hoping for some withdrawals. Please, if you're not interested or are on the fence, let me have a spot.

😕
I see lots of interview dates available spread out from the end of January all the way through the beginning of April.

Withdrew mainly due to cost of attendance--almost got a heart attack. $57K not including living expenses.
2eaijns.jpg
 
Last edited:
Just withdrew 2/11 interview. Best of luck-- I'm sure it will go to a great applicant.
 
Got an ii yesterday. Withdrew just now. Good luck to everyone applying! I was complete in late August/early September. OOS
 
I got the ii 01/17, for 02/26.... I literally waited an hour to pick a date, and it went from Jan 22 to being the earliest to Feb 26th!
 
Just wanted to double check. If our online application says:

"Date: Monday, 01/21/2013 Check-in Time: 11:30 a.m."

then that means our check-in time is at 11:30AM right...? Like we arrive to the medical school at 11:30 AM? Not 8AM?
 
Just wanted to double check. If our online application says:

"Date: Monday, 01/21/2013 Check-in Time: 11:30 a.m."

then that means our check-in time is at 11:30AM right...? Like we arrive to the medical school at 11:30 AM? Not 8AM?
You for real ?
 
You for real ?

Haha, I'm getting super paranoid. Fairly sure I just have to get there by 11:30 AM, but haven't really interviewed at a school that it did this way (perhaps because this is MMI) with two separate arrival groups.
 
Just wanted to double check. If our online application says:

"Date: Monday, 01/21/2013 Check-in Time: 11:30 a.m."

then that means our check-in time is at 11:30AM right...? Like we arrive to the medical school at 11:30 AM? Not 8AM?

Yes, be there by 11:30
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know how much will a Taxi ride from Rensselaer Station to the school cost ? Also, do I have to schedule a pick up or is there a Taxi waiting by the station ? Any input will be highly appreciated, first time in NY.
 
Does anyone know how much will a Taxi ride from Rensselaer Station to the school cost ? Also, do I have to schedule a pick up or is there a Taxi waiting by the station ? Any input will be highly appreciated, first time in NY.

About $25. There'll be Capitalland Taxis waiting there for you.
 
I sent an email to withdraw but did not get a reply. Should I call them to make sure they withdrew my application already?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.