2012-2013 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got an interview, was complete a long time ago. I won't be going, good luck everyone else!

Members don't see this ad.

II this afternoon, OOS applicant, complete mid August with a 29 MCAT and 3.95 GPAs!

Oh so they're working on MLK holiday? Didnt kow that

Members don't see this ad :)
II this afternoon, OOS applicant, complete mid August with a 29 MCAT and 3.95 GPAs!
Very similar stats, also got a II today! Maybe they're looking at OOS more now

Booked the earliest interview date available: 3/29!

I hope decisions come out this week!

Interviewed here, I figure I'll give an overview of what interviewing in the afternoon is like.

First off, I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn that is CONNECTED to the Albany Medical Center. Cost was ~$130 per night (which I know may be a little on the expensive side but the convenience is really nice). There is a restaurant and Starbucks on the bottom floor which aren't really that bad. The restaurant is a sports bar with alright food if you're just there for business/trying to relax (was watching the Ravens-Patriots game :(). Overall the stay was pretty good. When I say its connected, I mean that there is a bridge connecting the second floor of the building to the actual center so you don't have to ever go outside if you know your way around the inside (I had to go outside for like 1 minute TOPS). As a previous poster suggested, staying here was a really good idea especially since they have a complementary shuttle taking you from the airport to the hotel as well as from the hotel to the airport, granted there are limitations (what time the shuttle is working). Taxi just costed me about $25 (one person, I think the other two people in my Taxi had to pay a combined $30 since they were together) (not including tip).

I had the interview at 11:30 AM, which was really convenient. I went ahead and ate breakfast at the hotel (buffet style, wasn't that bad either, pancakes/waffles/omelettes cooked to order). I came to the admissions office signed in and picked up a badge and we were shortly sent to a classroom (smalls size, maybe about 70 seating total?) with the other interviewees where we waited for ~15 minutes. Shortly thereafter, they had food (wraps, sandwiches, chips, cookies, the usual).

We were divided into two groups, one which would interview first and one which would take the tour around the school. My impression of the school is of course small (I'm from Texas, everything is bigger). Some of the facilities didn't look too bad considering the size of the city/area its serving. One peculiar thing was that some parts of the building had some smells (not sure if it was just me or another applicant passing gas, but thats just what it smelled like at times). Wasn't a particularly bad smell, was sort of just the general hospital/maybe anatomy lab smell.

Now as for the MMI format. This was my first one (many of the other interviewees actually already had MMI format interviews. These mini interviews were actually a lot of fun and low pressure like others have stated. They actually make you think and it really did feel like there are no wrong answers to these scenarios. These interviews are just to see what your thought process is (although some of them pretty much ask you what your stance is on a few things which I cannot mention). The students/tour guides were really laid back and honest. One of them mentioned that this was his only acceptance and how thankful he was to be there. Seems they really do emphasize community and the people there are really helpful. Interesting things to note, one of the faculty members actually pays for ALL of the coffee the students drink (I believe he quoted it at being around 10k/year). The show Scrubs is actually based off of a graduate from Albany which is pretty cool. Architecture of the buildings was actually really nice (the law school looks SICK). There wasn't as much snow as I was hoping to be honest although it does snow (unlike Texas).

Overall, my impression of Albany was actually higher than I expected (granted I feel like that occurs at all of the schools I interviewed at, granted I only interviewed at 2 Texas schools and Albany. Hope this helps people!

Last edited:
One peculiar thing was that some parts of the building had some smells (not sure if it was just me or another applicant passing gas, but thats just what it smelled like at times). Wasn't a particularly bad smell, was sort of just the general hospital/maybe anatomy lab smell.

Is it common for the hospitals down in TX to smell like farts? :)

Seriously, thanks for the review.

Sent from my SPH-L700 using Tapatalk 2

I got an II yesterday as well, stats are 3.6/32, OOS. I will be withdrawing though, hope somebody on here gets it! The dates they had available were all early April.

I got an II yesterday as well, stats are 3.6/32, OOS. I will be withdrawing though, hope somebody on here gets it! The dates they had available were all early April.

When were you complete?

It is taking a lot longer than I thought it would to hear back from Albany. I too hope it is this week! When I interviewed in November, they said right after the Holiday break.

This is a longshot: but are there any current Albany students here willing to host me during my interview coming up the first week of February?

Please PM me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else who was accepted, not have access to the acceptance packet on the Albany EAS site?

interviewed 1/8 accepted just now. cant access acceptance packet.

Super helpful, thank you!!

Interviewed here, I figure I'll give an overview of what interviewing in the afternoon is like.

First off, I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn that is CONNECTED to the Albany Medical Center. Cost was ~$130 per night (which I know may be a little on the expensive side but the convenience is really nice). There is a restaurant and Starbucks on the bottom floor which aren't really that bad. The restaurant is a sports bar with alright food if you're just there for business/trying to relax (was watching the Ravens-Patriots game :(). Overall the stay was pretty good. When I say its connected, I mean that there is a bridge connecting the second floor of the building to the actual center so you don't have to ever go outside if you know your way around the inside (I had to go outside for like 1 minute TOPS). As a previous poster suggested, staying here was a really good idea especially since they have a complementary shuttle taking you from the airport to the hotel as well as from the hotel to the airport, granted there are limitations (what time the shuttle is working). Taxi just costed me about $25 (one person, I think the other two people in my Taxi had to pay a combined $30 since they were together) (not including tip).

I had the interview at 11:30 AM, which was really convenient. I went ahead and ate breakfast at the hotel (buffet style, wasn't that bad either, pancakes/waffles/omelettes cooked to order). I came to the admissions office signed in and picked up a badge and we were shortly sent to a classroom (smalls size, maybe about 70 seating total?) with the other interviewees where we waited for ~15 minutes. Shortly thereafter, they had food (wraps, sandwiches, chips, cookies, the usual).

We were divided into two groups, one which would interview first and one which would take the tour around the school. My impression of the school is of course small (I'm from Texas, everything is bigger). Some of the facilities didn't look too bad considering the size of the city/area its serving. One peculiar thing was that some parts of the building had some smells (not sure if it was just me or another applicant passing gas, but thats just what it smelled like at times). Wasn't a particularly bad smell, was sort of just the general hospital/maybe anatomy lab smell.

Now as for the MMI format. This was my first one (many of the other interviewees actually already had MMI format interviews. These mini interviews were actually a lot of fun and low pressure like others have stated. They actually make you think and it really did feel like there are no wrong answers to these scenarios. These interviews are just to see what your thought process is (although some of them pretty much ask you what your stance is on a few things which I cannot mention). The students/tour guides were really laid back and honest. One of them mentioned that this was his only acceptance and how thankful he was to be there. Seems they really do emphasize community and the people there are really helpful. Interesting things to note, one of the faculty members actually pays for ALL of the coffee the students drink (I believe he quoted it at being around 10k/year). The show Scrubs is actually based off of a graduate from Albany which is pretty cool. Architecture of the buildings was actually really nice (the law school looks SICK). There wasn't as much snow as I was hoping to be honest although it does snow (unlike Texas).

Overall, my impression of Albany was actually higher than I expected (granted I feel like that occurs at all of the schools I interviewed at, granted I only interviewed at 2 Texas schools and Albany. Hope this helps people!

Does anyone know if post interview rejections are sent via snail mail?

Interview January 11th, no email. Hopefully they didnt review my interview day yet.

interviewed 1/3. nothing here.

Has anyone who interviewed early/mid November gotten an e-mail yet? Hopefully we weren't reviewed in the order we interviewed, or else I might be waiting on a waitlist/rejection.

Has anyone who interviewed early/mid November gotten an e-mail yet? Hopefully we weren't reviewed in the order we interviewed, or else I might be waiting on a waitlist/rejection.

i hear ya, but the more i think about it the more i don't think that's a possibility (that they don't review in order). On the interview day they say they calculate the average score that applicants get on the interview that day and everyone from that day is compared to that. So at the very least everyone on the same day should be reviewed together? I think. Obviously, I could be completely wrong and hopefully I am. Or they could just be sending out decisions in no particular order... here's to hoping :xf:

Does anyone who was accepted have trouble submitting their deposit? Because when I login, I can't seem to find the acceptance packet.

I interviewed yesterday and they specifically told us that you will get an email for an acceptance and you will also get an email for a rejection. Don't assume anything until you get an email.

For those of you that have interviewed, do you get the chance to update the school on your activities since applying? I know Albany doesn't accept update letters...

For those of you that have interviewed, do you get the chance to update the school on your activities since applying? I know Albany doesn't accept update letters...

They let me send an update with my grades via email post-interview, but not sure about activities. I emailed them first asking if they would accept an update, so maybe you can do that.

But in terms of updating them during the actual interview, I wasn't able to do that. The MMI format doesn't really allow for it.

One of the ladies who works in the admissions office said that they only take grade updates, not activities.

Did they happen to mention whether they're still doing the "under consideration" status this year? Thanks!

I interviewed in november and still no word from albany...I have been checking my email like crazy! Hopefully they will send out some more decisions today :xf:

I interviewed in november and still no word from albany...I have been checking my email like crazy! Hopefully they will send out some more decisions today :xf:

+1 Although I'm not expecting much since they only accept ~33% this year :(

Did anyone from 11/18 hear back? I'm wondering why I didn't get my decision today when I was there the first day... Sigh this process sucks so much @$$

I also interviewed in November and no word yet. I interviewed Nov 26 or 27th. I can't remember the exact date.

To the AMC medical students:

Of the about 600 they interview, how many would you estimate are accepted (not how many matriculate)?

And would you consider every applicant they interview as interviewing for a spot in the class, no matter their stats (MCAT/GPA)?

Thanks!

It was said earlier in the thread that they're interviewing 1,000-1,200 (I can't remember for sure, but the change can be attributed to the MMI allowing more people to interview) this year and accepting the usual ~300.

my guess is that they have sent out all of the acceptances from the group of people whose application had already had a decision made (Most likely the interviews between Nov-early Jan). In other words, the waitlists and rejections are next to be sent out for this group. I really can't see any other justification for the lack of wait list and rejection letters on this thread. Let me know what you think.

my guess is that they have sent out all of the acceptances from the group of people whose application had already had a decision made (Most likely the interviews between Nov-early Jan). In other words, the waitlists and rejections are next to be sent out for this group. I really can't see any other justification for the lack of wait list and rejection letters on this thread. Let me know what you think.

my neurotic/pessimistic side says you're probably right. but really, who the f*** knows

wasn't sure whether to post this yesterday because i don't want to get people's (myself included) hopes up based off of information i am not sure is 100% accurate but I called admissions yesterday and they told me that they just started sending out acceptances and won't be done sending out the first round of acceptances until probably next week. she cited some computer glitch that kept them from sending out the rest or something, not entirely sure what she meant. I also asked if there was any particular order they were being sent out and she said no. I specifically asked if others with a later interview than me received an acceptance if that had any bearing or indication on the decision i may receive and she said no. she was very nice and informative but i'm not sure how much of what she said is just typical generic admissions answers and how much of it is truth. hope that helps...

wasn't sure whether to post this yesterday because i don't want to get people's (myself included) hopes up based off of information i am not sure is 100% accurate but I called admissions yesterday and they told me that they just started sending out acceptances and won't be done sending out the first round of acceptances until probably next week. she cited some computer glitch that kept them from sending out the rest or something, not entirely sure what she meant. I also asked if there was any particular order they were being sent out and she said no. I specifically asked if others with a later interview than me received an acceptance if that had any bearing or indication on the decision i may receive and she said no. she was very nice and informative but i'm not sure how much of what she said is just typical generic admissions answers and how much of it is truth. hope that helps...

That's the best thing I've heard all day.

So, you're telling me there's a chance...yeah!!

Status
Not open for further replies.