2012-2013 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I interviewed 3/15. I just called and the lady told me to call back in 2 more weeks. If someone who interviewed 3/13 got their decision, does that make sense? Are they falling behind perhaps?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also, I'm writing some thank you cards right now for my interviewers. It's been almost 2 weeks since my interview. You think that's too late? Did anyone here not send thank you cards/letters?
 
Also, I'm writing some thank you cards right now for my interviewers. It's been almost 2 weeks since my interview. You think that's too late? Did anyone here not send thank you cards/letters?

Honestly, sending thank you cards is a courtesy. It will not have any impact on admission chances if you send or not send them. 2 weeks isn't too late to just send a polite response.
 
I interviewed 3/15. I just called and the lady told me to call back in 2 more weeks. If someone who interviewed 3/13 got their decision, does that make sense? Are they falling behind perhaps?

I would assume their last meeting covered applicants up to the 3/13 interview date. You will probably be discussed at the next meeting. I wouldn't worry too much about it; it hasn't even been two weeks since your interview.

Meanwhile, I have to write another update letter early April, and I don't really have any updates. Would it be permissible to elaborate on an activity I started last May?

I also wrote a letter of intent to VTC, and it looks like I'm going to be wait listed by tomorrow ( they don't reject anyone who interviewed, apparently). I know it's considered the height of dishonesty to write letters of intent to two different schools, but I was wondering if it would be possible for me to write one to EVMS, considering that the VTC wait list doesn't move. Although I love VTC, I feel like I tied my hands by writing that letter, which probably won't do anything for my app there anyway, and prevents me from using my best option to get into EVMS. Thoughts?
 
Last edited:
I would assume their last meeting covered applicants up to the 3/13 interview date. You will probably be discussed at the next meeting. I wouldn't worry too much about it; it hasn't even been two weeks since your interview.

Meanwhile, I have to write another update letter early April, and I don't really have any updates. Would it be permissible to elaborate on an activity I started last May?

I also wrote a letter of intent to VTC, and it looks like I'm going to be wait listed by tomorrow ( they don't reject anyone who interviewed, apparently). I know it's considered the height of dishonesty to write letters of intent to two different schools, but I was wondering if it would be possible for me to write one to EVMS, considering that the VTC wait list doesn't move. Although I love VTC, I feel like I tied my hands by writing that letter, which probably won't do anything for my app there anyway, and prevents me from using my best option to get into EVMS. Thoughts?

Why do you HAVE to write a letter?

For the LOI, I would say do it. Yeah, it's unethical and all but this process has been nothing but a mystery to us and schools can be dishonest to us and get away with it, we should be able to do that also. Look out for yourself and worry about your own success first because that's what the schools are doing.
 
Why do you HAVE to write a letter?

For the LOI, I would say do it. Yeah, it's unethical and all but this process has been nothing but a mystery to us and schools can be dishonest to us and get away with it, we should be able to do that also. Look out for yourself and worry about your own success first because that's what the schools are doing.

I can see I'm not the only one who's become embittered by this app cycle.
 
I can see I'm not the only one who's become embittered by this app cycle.

Lol, I would suggest against it. Yeah in all likelihood you can get away with it, but in case schools do communicate, would you really want to risk it on something as a LOI? I am confused on why you don't think VTC waitlist doesn't move. They are very conservative in getting exactly 42 students, so they don't over accept by a lot like some other schools. Plus being a new school might deter some students. Plus your decision from VTC hasn't even come in yet! Hold these thoughts for another week lol.
 
Accepted! First one of the season..Huge weight lifted.Oh geez! Interviewed Dec. 7th, placed on the middle tier wait list 2 weeks later, sent in a letter of interest+update, just received the acceptance in the mail!

Hey just wondering, how were you informed of your acceptance? Did yu get an email for preview weekend before your acceptance in the mail?
 
i want an acceptance lol.

+ infinity

I seriously cannot concentrate on anything besides med school apps. Even in the middle of lecture, I'm on SDN, which I've never done before in my life. Sadness.

I think I'll hold off on the LOI. The dishonesty leaves a bad taste in my mouth (and I'm worried I;ll get burned from it), although Shaker does have a good point.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+ infinity

I seriously cannot concentrate on anything besides med school apps. Even in the middle of lecture, I'm on SDN, which I've never done before in my life. Sadness.

I think I'll hold off on the LOI. The dishonesty leaves a bad taste in my mouth (and I'm worried I;ll get burned from it), although Shaker does have a good point.

i've basically wasted my entire senior year in-lecture hours on SDN. It's just too much.
 
Hey just wondering, how were you informed of your acceptance? Did yu get an email for preview weekend before your acceptance in the mail?

Snail mail for the acceptance, no email.. I never received any info on preview weekend.. Uh oh, did I miss something?!
 
Snail mail for the acceptance, no email.. I never received any info on preview weekend.. Uh oh, did I miss something?!
I received a preview weekend email before I received my acceptance through snail mail. I am pretty sure (not 100%) that a preview weekend email goes out to all accepted applicants. I would call just to make sure. If you didn't receive a preview weekend e-mail, the e-mail suggests that there will be follow-up e-mails to come.
 
Last edited:
Just got the wait list letter =/. I called and found out I was in top third though. I read a few posts on WL movement, but does anyone have any advice / updates on this. Thanks in advance. I'm OOS btw.
 
It seems like most people here are on the top third of the wait list. Makes me a little nervous about my chances of getting off.
 
Is there another way to learn about the housing options (other than post here and hope someone replies) while we wait on the waitlist? Anyway to join the EVMS facebook page to do this?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
People are getting rejected today post interview? If so, when did you interview? I wanna know if I should be anxious.
Nope, pre-interview.
+1. Mine was pre interview though.
Same here.

"Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS) has concluded its interview process for the 2013 entering class and would like to thank you for your interest in EVMS. This was a very competitive year and we wish you much success in gaining acceptance to medical school."

That was it :laugh:
 
Nope, pre-interview.

Same here.

"Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS) has concluded its interview process for the 2013 entering class and would like to thank you for your interest in EVMS. This was a very competitive year and we wish you much success in gaining acceptance to medical school."

That was it :laugh:

I guess I'd prefer a short and (not so) sweet rejection letter like that opposed to a rambling paragraph offering a dozen generic possible reasons I wasn't offered an interview, as if that somehow makes me feel any better.
 
I guess I'd prefer a short and (not so) sweet rejection letter like that opposed to a rambling paragraph offering a dozen generic possible reasons I wasn't offered an interview, as if that somehow makes me feel any better.

I agree, I hate the generic message where they make it sound like, "its not you, its me."
 
Last year's thread showed a few people being accepted from the waitlist around April 9-April 16. Who knows if it's the same this year. :shrug:
 
Yea almost everyone is saying that they are in the top third but i'm pretty sure some acceptances have been pulled from all tiers. I think I read that some pages back.

Feels like >90% of waitlist is in top third. What does it mean for second and third tiers?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
According to Ms. Jones the waitlist has about 400 applicants. A good portion of it is probably in the top tier. Anyone knows if all tiers have equal number of applicants?
 
According to Ms. Jones the waitlist has about 400 applicants. A good portion of it is probably in the top tier. Anyone knows if all tiers have equal number of applicants?

I think someone earlier in this thread said that they called the office and was told that it was an even distribution between the thirds. I'm taking that with a grain of salt though since almost everyone on this thread seems to be upper 1/3.
 
According to Ms. Jones the waitlist has about 400 applicants. A good portion of it is probably in the top tier. Anyone knows if all tiers have equal number of applicants?

400...well. Yeah I believe people stated they are roughly equal in size. Thats still like 135 people per tier...I thought my odds were better than this...
 
I think someone earlier in this thread said that they called the office and was told that it was an even distribution between the thirds. I'm taking that with a grain of salt though since almost everyone on this thread seems to be upper 1/3.

Yeah, that was me. I was told the tiers are roughly equal in size. That's why they're called thirds. Maybe they were lying to me, but if so, what's the point of structuring a wait list to have >50% of applicants on the "top 1/3"? I don't see how that's efficient for the committee. Just have a normal WL instead where no one can find out their placement. But they don't. They use a tiered system of thirds, so I'm inclined to think they use it.

Everyone, please remember that those who post on an SDN thread represent a VERY small sample size of the hundreds of applicants a school interviews/accepts/waitlists. No one knows the magic formula for getting pulled the the EVMS WL, and yes, sometimes someone from the middle 1/3 will get pulled before someone in the top 1/3, but being on the top 1/3 OOS is the best place you can be. Aside from flat-out accepted, that is.

Wait until the double hold deadline passes and we'll see a lot of movement.
 
Last edited:
Don't forget guys the WL, is combined IS and OOS. Also, from my understanding the WL, getting pulled off the WL has to do with demographics. They try to fill in somebody similar to a person who withdrew.They'd probably pull from the middle third when all the top 1/3 applicants are exhausted.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.