2012-2013 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
can anybody comment on being top 1/3 WL IS?

The person in the admissions office mentioned that they pull people from all tiers off the waitlist. Tiers are based on some kind of point system that factors the usual parameters such as GPA, MCAT, ECs and interview impressions. She would not elaborate on weightage for each parameter or how it is used for placement in tiers. I did not ask and she did not volunteer if there is any difference in chances for IS or OOS. So given the mystery of how all these works, I am trying to block this out till mid-May but it is difficult to do as I keep coming back here and read/respond to these posts. Just hang tight with positive attitude and hope for the best. Good luck to all.

May the force be with you.
 
Do they dig into the waitlist before May 15? I could've sworn I heard this but it might have been from somewhere else.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was recently invited to interview here, would you guys mind helping me with some quick information. I'm trying to decide whether or not to interview. money is a bit tight 🙁

How often are the exams in this curriculum? I'm expecting an exam every week or every other week. Also, how strong is the emphasis on PBL. From their website, I see there are weekly sessions. For those of you who interviewed, did you get the impression that students found those sessions helpful?

Thanks for the help!
 
I was recently invited to interview here, would you guys mind helping me with some quick information. I'm trying to decide whether or not to interview. money is a bit tight 🙁

How often are the exams in this curriculum? I'm expecting an exam every week or every other week. Also, how strong is the emphasis on PBL. From their website, I see there are weekly sessions. For those of you who interviewed, did you get the impression that students found those sessions helpful?

Thanks for the help!

They said that PBL depends on the individual person but 3 of the students that commented on it that day said that it was "meh".
 
Accepted!!! My first MD acceptance, coming after two waitlists (from slu and temple) this past weekend. Great school, beyond relieved to receive an acceptance.

Interviewed: 2/20.
acceptance letter snail mail and preview weekend e-mail was received 3/7.
 
Accepted!!! My first MD acceptance, coming after two waitlists (from slu and temple) this past weekend. Great school, beyond relieved to receive an acceptance.

Interviewed: 2/20.
acceptance letter snail mail and preview weekend e-mail was received 3/7.

Congrats! Same deal as you, just waitlisted at Temple and this is my first acceptance (I applied super late in the cycle so I wasn't exactly expecting to get in anywhere.) I interviewed same day as you and just sent my check in!
 
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew how to send thank you cards to the interviewers. I forgot to ask for a card from them with their names. Also, I was curious if anyone had a very health care focused interview as opposed to a more personal / traditional interview? Thanks!
 
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew how to send thank you cards to the interviewers. I forgot to ask for a card from them with their names. Also, I was curious if anyone had a very health care focused interview as opposed to a more personal / traditional interview? Thanks!
I had a more or less healthcare focused interview. I was interviewed by two physicians only. The conversation stemmed from a response on my secondary to the prompt "what do think you will least like about being a doctor." There is so much to discuss about current healthcare issues that we only ended up having like 5 min. left for an ethics question and the rest of my application.
 
I had a more or less healthcare focused interview. I was interviewed by two physicians only. The conversation stemmed from a response on my secondary to the prompt "what do think you will least like about being a doctor." There is so much to discuss about current healthcare issues that we only ended up having like 5 min. left for an ethics question and the rest of my application.

I think we had the same interviewers. Mine started off exactly this way as well.
 
Interesting; I had a lot of hypothetical questions about health care and ~5 ethic questions all one after the other. It was pretty intense, but fun.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was in the top 1/3 of the IS waitlist too and just got my acceptance letter a few days ago. The waitlist is moving, just a little slow apparently. I'm sure it'll pick up after May 15th.

I am on the 1/3 IS, but has not heard back anything yet... perhaps lesser chance??...
 
I was in the top 1/3 of the IS waitlist too and just got my acceptance letter a few days ago. The waitlist is moving, just a little slow apparently. I'm sure it'll pick up after May 15th.

Congratulations on acceptance. Does anyone know any movements on OOS waitlist? If so can you please specify which tier? Anyone from accepted list with multiple acceptances, perhaps on the fence about EVMS? Thanks.
 
i called today and was told they really aren't digging into the WL yet as they are still interviewing candidates thru the month of march
 
i called today and was told they really aren't digging into the WL yet as they are still interviewing candidates thru the month of march

Based on last year's thread, wait list acceptances didn't really kick in until April, and peaked around mid-May. So we still have a while to wait, sigh.
 
Wow, that's very specific. I've never heard of anyone getting such specific information. I would think anywhere in the top 1/3 would be a good spot to be. But other people have said that people in admissions told them that they don't pull strictly in order so none of us really know lol
 
Wow, that's very specific. I've never heard of anyone getting such specific information. I would think anywhere in the top 1/3 would be a good spot to be. But other people have said that people in admissions told them that they don't pull strictly in order so none of us really know lol

I think it depends who picks up your call when you call the office... Mine told me that I am placed on top of other peers, but that could mean I am on the top of top 1/3, or top of 2/3, etc. I was afraid to ask further questions as the person I talked to seem to be in a hurry... One thing I don't understand about is the WL tier system, if the adcomm is really pulling people off from WL not strictly based on the tier.
 
So I just saw that in the acceptance packet it says:

In compliance with the AAMC recommendations concerning medical school acceptance procedures, "It is the responsibility of the student to hold no more than one acceptance at a given time. In fairness to fellow applicants, the student who receives acceptances from two or more schools should make a choice among them and promptly notify the other accepting schools of the decision to withdraw." Unless a student presents us with an acceptable reason, EVMS reserves the right to withdraw its offer of acceptance to an applicant who does not follow this guideline.

Anyone care to comment on this?
 
^ This is probably in reference to the AMCAS May 15th deadline at which point you can only hold 1 acceptance, but can stay on as many waitlists as you like indefinitely.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Both my interviewers specifically told me not to send a thank you anything.

I never send thank-you notes. I don't think they have much of an impact on decisions-it's just a chance for you to pointlessly blither about how much you enjoyed visiting, etc. The interviewers have already written their evals when they receive the letters, so it won't influence what they write.

On the other hand, an update letter to the adcom, I think, has some weight.
 
I never send thank-you notes. I don't think they have much of an impact on decisions-it's just a chance for you to pointlessly blither about how much you enjoyed visiting, etc. The interviewers have already written their evals when they receive the letters, so it won't influence what they write.

On the other hand, an update letter to the adcom, I think, has some weight.

FWIW, I talked to one of the student interviewers after my interview (she did not interview me; she was in another panel), and she said thank you notes at EVMS are actually pretty important for some of the panels. She said if any member of the panel outwardly gave you any form of contact info, you should send a thank you and it could directly affect your admissions outcome. After all, it only takes a few minutes and how could it hurt?
 
I never send thank-you notes. I don't think they have much of an impact on decisions-it's just a chance for you to pointlessly blither about how much you enjoyed visiting, etc. The interviewers have already written their evals when they receive the letters, so it won't influence what they write.

On the other hand, an update letter to the adcom, I think, has some weight.

It's more about showing them that you are a professional than wowing them with your thank you note writing prowess IMO.
 
Did anyone get asked something along the lines of if there was only one spot left and you were one of two candidates, what to say to the committee to convince them to pick you? I guess it's a straight forward question, but what are your thoughts on good responses?
 
Did anyone get asked something along the lines of if there was only one spot left and you were one of two candidates, what to say to the committee to convince them to pick you? I guess it's a straight forward question, but what are your thoughts on good responses?

Its a common interview question asking about your unique qualities. This is where you want to point out what makes you special non academically. So talk about anything special that is not grades/MCAT and back it up with experiences.
 
OOS, waitlisted (top third) back in October or November I forget exactly. Just got my acceptance letter in the mail yesterday. I am really surprised!
 
OOS, waitlisted (top third) back in October or November I forget exactly. Just got my acceptance letter in the mail yesterday. I am really surprised!

Congrats!

I called in about my placement in the top third, and the lady on the phone said she couldn't tell me anything, except that I was in a "pretty nice" position. Of course, my hopes have skyrocketed since then. Maybe I'll be pulled soon too?
 
Congrats!

I called in about my placement in the top third, and the lady on the phone said she couldn't tell me anything, except that I was in a "pretty nice" position. Of course, my hopes have skyrocketed since then. Maybe I'll be pulled soon too?

Yes their admissions office is very tight lipped
 
Congrats!

I called in about my placement in the top third, and the lady on the phone said she couldn't tell me anything, except that I was in a "pretty nice" position. Of course, my hopes have skyrocketed since then. Maybe I'll be pulled soon too?

I called too, but they didn't say anything about my position in top 1/3rd...guess this is not a good sign. Then again I didn't send an update/interest letter yet. Maybe that will help
 
Accepted! First one of the season..Huge weight lifted.Oh geez! Interviewed Dec. 7th, placed on the middle tier wait list 2 weeks later, sent in a letter of interest+update, just received the acceptance in the mail!
 
Accepted! First one of the season..Huge weight lifted.Oh geez! Interviewed Dec. 7th, placed on the middle tier wait list 2 weeks later, sent in a letter of interest+update, just received the acceptance in the mail!

Congrats! I'm starting to get really nervous now... they've already started accepting people off the middle tier? 😕
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In last year's thread, there were people pulled from the middle tier (I've memorized last year's thread- it makes me feel better about my chances).

Does anyone know when preview weekend will be? I heard they invite students who are highly placed on the wait list.
 
Last edited:
In last year's thread, there were people pulled from the middle tier (I've memorized last year's thread- it makes me feel better about my chances).

Does anyone know when preview weekend will be? I heard they invite students who are highly placed on the wait list.
It's April 26-27
 
Accepted! First one of the season..Huge weight lifted.Oh geez! Interviewed Dec. 7th, placed on the middle tier wait list 2 weeks later, sent in a letter of interest+update, just received the acceptance in the mail!

Congrats! Glad to know they're pulling people from more than just the top third!
 
Hi All, I just got offered an interview here in a few days (very excited about it), but I'm a little confused about how it works this late in the game. Has anyone who's interviewed recently know whether at this point, we're just interviewing for the waitlist? I'm enthusiastic in either case, but it would be nice to have a sense of what I'm going in to. Since it's clear people are already being pulled from the waitlist (congrats to everyone), it's hard to see why they're still interviewing...
Any thoughts, or understanding of how it works at this point would be welcomed, hope you're having a good one.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.