You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 Florida Atlantic University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was accepted via email also! I am so excited! Congratulations everyone! 

I also received my acceptance this week!! SOOO relieved and excited 

MCAT 31Q (up from 26Q the first time around), GPA 3.6
That said, FAU seems to be a med school that highly values life experience and clinical experience (maybe even more than other schools do). Dean Hinkley made a point to make that apparent to my group during the interview, saying something along the lines of "nobody here today has a 42 MCAT (or a 20)". He was also really proud to tell us about the life experiences of current students, especially if they came from unusual backgrounds or took a few detours through other careers before going to med school.
Anywho, my point is that stats are important, but they of course aren't everything. Perhaps they are weighted even slightly less than they might be at other schools? This is my general impression, but opposing positions welcome 🙂
That said, FAU seems to be a med school that highly values life experience and clinical experience (maybe even more than other schools do). Dean Hinkley made a point to make that apparent to my group during the interview, saying something along the lines of "nobody here today has a 42 MCAT (or a 20)". He was also really proud to tell us about the life experiences of current students, especially if they came from unusual backgrounds or took a few detours through other careers before going to med school.
Anywho, my point is that stats are important, but they of course aren't everything. Perhaps they are weighted even slightly less than they might be at other schools? This is my general impression, but opposing positions welcome 🙂
They must be overaccepting at this point.
Possibly, but when I interviewed at UCF, Rel Larkin made it sound like schools were not allowed to overaccept until their 5th class due to LCME guidelines. He told us this would be the first year UCF would be able to handout more acceptances than they had seats, like almost all other medical schools do. FAU is only interviewing for their 3rd class so my guess would be they are not overaccepting but just had a large batch recently.
When does FAU handout merit scholarships? Are they included with the offer of admission? Just wondering if I'm out of the running or if there's still a chance.
Update sent with mid term grades and a few zingers that express my continued interest. I am hoping to stir them up a bit and get them to look over my forgotten application again.
Did you send a pre-interview letter of interest? Did it help any? I applied to all my schools late but I had my eyes on this one (as well as a few others) for a while now. I'm wondering if giving them an update will draw some attention to my app before it's forgotten.
Did you send a pre-interview letter of interest? Did it help any? I applied to all my schools late but I had my eyes on this one (as well as a few others) for a while now. I'm wondering if giving them an update will draw some attention to my app before it's forgotten.
I sent a pre-interview loi, got an interview invite 4 days later. To be fair, I was already in final review, but I am certain it didn't hurt.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! My application has been under review for a few months now and I haven't heard anything. If we get rejected w/o an interview do we get informed immediately thru the website under our App Status or it may stay under review until May? 🙁
I sent a pre-interview loi, got an interview invite 4 days later. To be fair, I was already in final review, but I am certain it didn't hurt.
did you send your loi via email? or through the update option in the application software?
Hi everyone! My application has been under review for a few months now and I haven't heard anything. If we get rejected w/o an interview do we get informed immediately thru the website under our App Status or it may stay under review until May? 🙁
.
Last edited:
did you send your loi via email? or through the update option in the application software?
When does FAU handout merit scholarships? Are they included with the offer of admission? Just wondering if I'm out of the running or if there's still a chance.
Idk when they hand them out but it's not with acceptance. Just make sure you do your fafsa
Got an interview invite after being complete since Oct 11. 32 and 3.9 - Now to decide which dates. I think I'll really like it.
Got an interview invite after being complete since Oct 11. 32 and 3.9 - Now to decide which dates. I think I'll really like it.
what dates are still open?
Has anyone else been stuck in preliminary review for a few months? I was complete in August, but my status has never gone past preliminary review. I'm OOS, though, which might be why.
I was stuck with that status from August until December, when I received an interview invite out of the blue! Don't give up hope!Has anyone else been stuck in preliminary review for a few months? I was complete in August, but my status has never gone past preliminary review. I'm OOS, though, which might be why.
Waitlist only at this point -- that's what they said when I interviewed several days agoDoes anyone know if there are spaces still open at FAU or are all future interviews for waitlist only? I will be interviewing there next week.
Thanks
Waitlist only at this point -- that's what they said when I interviewed several days ago
It is indeed waitlist only, but they have a separate waitlist they are calling "accepted alternate list" which basically means that you are at the very top of the waitlist and extremely likely to land a seat if/when accepted applicants decide to go elsewhere.
Any idea whether it will be specified if we are on the "accepted alternate" list? I realize probably not, but I thought I would askIt is indeed waitlist only, but they have a separate waitlist they are calling "accepted alternate list" which basically means that you are at the very top of the waitlist and extremely likely to land a seat if/when accepted applicants decide to go elsewhere.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got an email that said "Accepted Alternate at FAU C.E.S. College of Medicine" in the subject line.
It says "Being placed on the Alternate List means that you have met all the requirements for application and the Committee has voted to accept you; the reason for your placement is that the Class of 2017 (entering in August of 2013) is temporarily full. As you know many seats become available as other applicants decide on their school of choice and withdraw from the others. While there are no guarantees, I am pleased to inform you that national stats show that a high percentage of the Class comes from the Alternate List."
I assume this is different from the regular wait list? It seems different.
It says "Being placed on the Alternate List means that you have met all the requirements for application and the Committee has voted to accept you; the reason for your placement is that the Class of 2017 (entering in August of 2013) is temporarily full. As you know many seats become available as other applicants decide on their school of choice and withdraw from the others. While there are no guarantees, I am pleased to inform you that national stats show that a high percentage of the Class comes from the Alternate List."
I assume this is different from the regular wait list? It seems different.
Your status online will not differentiate, but you will be told in your status letter if you are on the accepted alternate list or not!Any idea whether it will be specified if we are on the "accepted alternate" list? I realize probably not, but I thought I would ask
It basically means that you are at the very top of the waitlist. You are as close to being admitted as a person can be without having an official offer, and are extremely likely to be offered a seat in the next few months. Congrats!Just got an email that said "Accepted Alternate at FAU C.E.S. College of Medicine" in the subject line.
It says "Being placed on the Alternate List means that you have met all the requirements for application and the Committee has voted to accept you; the reason for your placement is that the Class of 2017 (entering in August of 2013) is temporarily full. As you know many seats become available as other applicants decide on their school of choice and withdraw from the others. While there are no guarantees, I am pleased to inform you that national stats show that a high percentage of the Class comes from the Alternate List."
I assume this is different from the regular wait list? It seems different.
...
Last edited:
My application has been at preliminary review started since the middle of November! Should I give them a call? I even had an update 4 weeks ago, and it didn't change. Why no love FAU!
Mine has been Review complete since September. Sent them an update and an "in the area" email. Still nothing. Seems like spots have filled up rather quickly.
I interviewed on January 22nd and my status online has changed to "alternate". I have yet to receive an e-mail. Does anyone know if this indicates being on the "accepted alternate" list?
I absolutely LOVE this program and am so hoping I end up being accepted! 🙂
I absolutely LOVE this program and am so hoping I end up being accepted! 🙂
I interviewed on January 22nd and my status online has changed to "alternate". I have yet to receive an e-mail. Does anyone know if this indicates being on the "accepted alternate" list?
I absolutely LOVE this program and am so hoping I end up being accepted! 🙂
Your status will be the same whether or not you were accepted...You can either call and ask or wait for the official letter, which will tell you if you are on the accepted list. I hope you get good news!
Thanks for the info! I guess a few more days of waiting won't kill me.
Waitlist only at this point -- that's what they said when I interviewed several days ago
Ah, I see. In that case, I'll be giving up my II that I received this morning. Sent in my secondary in early Sept, so don't lose hope if you've been waiting a while!
Last edited:
They must be overaccepting at this point.
They aren't overaccepting, the LCME would not allow that and I know they would not do anything to risk LCME accreditation.
As the interview season progresses, previously accepted students make their decisions and some spots open up. As much as I love this school and knew it was the school for me, there are many students that are a little reserved to go here because it is such a new program. It definitely takes a brave soul to go to a school so new, but at the same time you get to help establish a program/tradition. In the future, the majority of your colleagues will not be able to say they did that!
Has anyone else been stuck in preliminary review for a few months? I was complete in August, but my status has never gone past preliminary review. I'm OOS, though, which might be why.
Last year, I was complete in September or something like that and didn't receive an II until February. Its not over yet!
Ah, I see. In that case, I'll be giving up my II that I received this morning. Sent in my secondary in early Sept, so don't lose hope if you've been waiting a while!
Hope you didn't email them yet if you want to go there because I interviewed Feb. 5th and they told me that "The class is very full but there are still a few spots left. It is not only waitlist at this point and they will be giving a few more straight acceptances."
Is there a second look weekend for FAU? Does anyone know the date?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if FAU allows deferring admission for a year? If so, what would that process be like?
Hi,Is there a second look weekend for FAU? Does anyone know the date?
I asked and they said possibly the weekend of April 20th, but when it's official they will let everyone know.
I have a question about second look. If you are an alternate, would it be beneficial to attend?
Thanks
hi everyone.. how were you notified of your decision? they told us on our interview day that we should know by today. should i expect an email or call or should i just keep checking my status online?
so nervous!
Phone call came first. Online status was updated a day or two later. Good luck.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.

