You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 New York Medical College Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
How long does NYMC take to invite usually
Couple years usually.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Couple years usually.
Actually laughed out loud at this
Does anybody know how well this school responds to updates and letters of interest? Being in an SMP they are kind of the only way to get into a school really...
I sent mine in the mail, and it was processed the next day.
Sent from my X10i using SDN Mobile
Was this recently? I sent them the letter about 5 days ago but still no notice on the website.
Was this recently? I sent them the letter about 5 days ago but still no notice on the website.
It was the first day that the secondaries came out. I would give them a call on Monday to verify.
It was the first day that the secondaries came out. I would give them a call on Monday to verify.
Yeah, going to do that. Weird that you got your confirmation the next day but I have yet to get mine and I live in the same state.
Was this recently? I sent them the letter about 5 days ago but still no notice on the website.
I sent it to them by e-mail and it took them a few days to update that they got my fee waiver stuff. And they still haven't said that they received the actual secondary; I think they're just moving slower now that they're receiving a lot of stuff.
I sent it to them by e-mail and it took them a few days to update that they got my fee waiver stuff. And they still haven't said that they received the actual secondary; I think they're just moving slower now that they're receiving a lot of stuff.
.... Wish I had known you could send the letter by email.
They don't really tell you if they received anything from what I remember. Maybe once you guys send everything and haven't heard from them for a while, shoot an email or a quick call to make sure everything was received.
Last year I sent plenty of letter but didn't help with the process. Once you send your primary, everything should have been in there or it should be something very significant for an update letter.
This process is really drawn out so I would suggest trying not to maniac (which I kind of did last year) and go out/have fun. Stay off of SDN, checking once a week should suffice.
Emails is another story : /
Side note: First week of med school seems like a semester of work. So have fun this cycle and don't worry too much.
Last year I sent plenty of letter but didn't help with the process. Once you send your primary, everything should have been in there or it should be something very significant for an update letter.
This process is really drawn out so I would suggest trying not to maniac (which I kind of did last year) and go out/have fun. Stay off of SDN, checking once a week should suffice.
Emails is another story : /
Side note: First week of med school seems like a semester of work. So have fun this cycle and don't worry too much.
MMI Invite!
! congrats! Hey how long did it take for your letters to upload. I'm still waiting for mine to appear on the status page!
! Congrats! Hey how long did it take for your letters to upload. I'm still waiting for mine to appear on the status page!
+1
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
dang. I submitted just a few days later on 8/3. My letters still aren't in! They must have gotten a huge wave of submissions in just a few days.
MMI Invite!
Congrats! Hoping for an invite soon. I really like this school!
Just checked mine and it says im complete.
anyone who submitted 8/3 or later marked complete yet?
submitted 8/3 complete!
Just checked mine and it says im complete.
+1. Says I was complete yesterday
anyone who submitted 8/3 or later marked complete yet?
Mine still says they haven't received the secondary. Maybe I should call them. 😕
When I click on the secondary link, all it says is " You have already completed the Medical School Admission's Secondary Application on Friday August 3, 2012". But does that mean I am complete or just that's when I submitted the secondary?
I'm not seeing another place where I can check my status, is this it?
**Nevermind, just found the page to check the full status.
I'm not seeing another place where I can check my status, is this it?
**Nevermind, just found the page to check the full status.
Submitted 8/4 and no news on being complete yet.
Congrats on the Interview! Was it received via email or did you have to hop online to check?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I sent an email to the admissions office regarding this but I just wanted to check for you guys' opinions..
For the LOR, it says to make sure the letter writers include your AMCAS ID.. is it a really big deal if they didn't? No other school to my knowledge has requested this, and there's no way for me to check if they included it or not since the letters were confidential (Interfolio).
Also, one of the LOR you need to list is non-science, and I have one but it's not from a professor (it's from my honors director). I don't have a non-science letter written by a professor. Would my letter suffice? If anyone else had this problem what did you put for the course-related info (course name, number, credits)?
Still waiting for a response from them & will edit with what they tell me but I wanted to see if anyone here had the same/similar issues..
For the LOR, it says to make sure the letter writers include your AMCAS ID.. is it a really big deal if they didn't? No other school to my knowledge has requested this, and there's no way for me to check if they included it or not since the letters were confidential (Interfolio).
Also, one of the LOR you need to list is non-science, and I have one but it's not from a professor (it's from my honors director). I don't have a non-science letter written by a professor. Would my letter suffice? If anyone else had this problem what did you put for the course-related info (course name, number, credits)?
Still waiting for a response from them & will edit with what they tell me but I wanted to see if anyone here had the same/similar issues..
I sent an email to the admissions office regarding this but I just wanted to check for you guys' opinions..
For the LOR, it says to make sure the letter writers include your AMCAS ID.. is it a really big deal if they didn't? No other school to my knowledge has requested this, and there's no way for me to check if they included it or not since the letters were confidential (Interfolio).
Also, one of the LOR you need to list is non-science, and I have one but it's not from a professor (it's from my honors director). I don't have a non-science letter written by a professor. Would my letter suffice? If anyone else had this problem what did you put for the course-related info (course name, number, credits)?
Still waiting for a response from them & will edit with what they tell me but I wanted to see if anyone here had the same/similar issues..
are you non-trad? I know they allow exceptions to their LOR requirements if you're more than two years out of school. I'm non-trad so I can only speak to what they told me about my letters. But basically as long as you have academically-oriented letters, put them in the UG science/UG non-science boxes...and then put NA in the boxes that don't apply and 0 for credit hours. So for your non-science letter that's not from a professor, you can put it in the non-science slot but just put NA in the fields that don't apply.
But I would call them to see if you're coming straight from school if they'll make an exception on the non-science faculty letter. Hope this helps!
I sent an email to the admissions office regarding this but I just wanted to check for you guys' opinions..
For the LOR, it says to make sure the letter writers include your AMCAS ID.. is it a really big deal if they didn't? No other school to my knowledge has requested this, and there's no way for me to check if they included it or not since the letters were confidential (Interfolio).
Also, one of the LOR you need to list is non-science, and I have one but it's not from a professor (it's from my honors director). I don't have a non-science letter written by a professor. Would my letter suffice? If anyone else had this problem what did you put for the course-related info (course name, number, credits)?
Still waiting for a response from them & will edit with what they tell me but I wanted to see if anyone here had the same/similar issues..
I don't have a non-science faculty letter either. Perhaps that's the reason why I'm not complete yet. I submitted secondary at 8/2/2012. I also emailed them about mistakenly sending a letter packet as a pre-med committee letter, but I haven't gotten a response yet. I'll call them sometime next week to see what's going. I think I'm going to prepare for the worst though. I'm only one year out of undergrad, so I don't qualify for their definition of non-traditional.
Mine still says they haven't received the secondary. Maybe I should call them. 😕
Same here. Although the secondary link from the email saids that I completed the secondary on 8/4, it still doesn't show up on the official status page as received.
submitted 8/3 and still no acknowledgement of receipt of my letters
Congrats on the Interview! Was it received via email or did you have to hop online to check?
Thanks! E-mail this morning
are you non-trad? I know they allow exceptions to their LOR requirements if you're more than two years out of school. I'm non-trad so I can only speak to what they told me about my letters. But basically as long as you have academically-oriented letters, put them in the UG science/UG non-science boxes...and then put NA in the boxes that don't apply and 0 for credit hours. So for your non-science letter that's not from a professor, you can put it in the non-science slot but just put NA in the fields that don't apply.
But I would call them to see if you're coming straight from school if they'll make an exception on the non-science faculty letter. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the info! I'm not "technically" a non-trad, but it's been years since I took truly non-science courses since I finished all my non-science requirements before transferring & my post-transfer courses were 99% science because of my major. I just don't see the value of asking one of my non-science professors for a recommendation because I never got to know them well due to class size.
I'll wait and see if they respond, then call them if I don't hear anything soon.
submitted 8/3 and still no acknowledgement of receipt of my letters
+1
Same here. Although the secondary link from the email saids that I completed the secondary on 8/4, it still doesn't show up on the official status page as received.
Haha, I tried that just now, it said I completed the secondary on 8/10 even though I completed it on 8/3. The whole system just seems kinda screwy, so I'm not gonna worry too much. I think they'll have all my stuff...eventually.
complete finally! submitted 8/4
complete finally! Submitted 8/4
+1
Complete 8/13. Submitted 8/3.
How do I know if I'm complete?
This is all I have on the status page. Still no LORS received on their end..
Am I complete?
Code:
Your verified AMCAS application was received.
A unique Login ID and Password to complete your secondary application were sent to you via e-mail on 08/01/2012.
Your application fee, or fee waiver request, was received on 08/09/2012.
This is all I have on the status page. Still no LORS received on their end..
Am I complete?
How do I know if I'm complete?
Code:Your verified AMCAS application was received. A unique Login ID and Password to complete your secondary application were sent to you via e-mail on 08/01/2012. Your application fee, or fee waiver request, was received on 08/09/2012.
This is all I have on the status page. Still no LORS received on their end..
Am I complete?
No. At the bottom it'll say your app is complete and under review.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hmmmmmm still not complete. submitted 8/2. I have an interview at SUNY Downstate in late September..should I send an in-the-area email even if I'm not complete?
hmmmmmm still not complete. submitted 8/2. I have an interview at SUNY Downstate in late September..should I send an in-the-area email even if I'm not complete?
On a side note, when is it advisable to sent an in the area email? When you're actually in the area, or a couple of days in advance?
Are you saying in regards to interview scheduling or just a campus your or something? From what I understand you should give them as much notice as possible for the in the area email.
Are you saying in regards to interview scheduling or just a campus your or something? From what I understand you should give them as much notice as possible for the in the area email.
I meant if you're in the area for one medical school interview and have also applied to another school in the same area but haven't heard back from them yet. So I should send that second school an email early on about when I'll be in the area?
- Status
- Not open for further replies.