2012-2013 Northwestern University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody have any news on when the secondary may be released. Kinda anxious as this will be one of my last!

Also, anyone heard anything about when they will release details about the new curriculum. I see they have nice graphics up but they don't explain that much about course or anything of more practical importance.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, anyone heard anything about when they will release details about the new curriculum. I see they have nice graphics up but they don't explain that much about course or anything of more practical importance.

Haha as an incoming m1, me too!! Orientation starts next Wednesday - super excited! Hopefully we will get to find out more then.

Well, don't take my word as final. The focus group mainly addressed areas of the secondary that we believed needed to be built upon (in particular, diversity). It's possible that they will simply add this on to what they had in the past. goirish22, if you have the time, it certainly can't hurt to do some pre-writing!

I hope the secondary is diversity-heavy since I can copy and paste a bunch of essays I have on them. Fingers crossed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good to know not the only one who hasn't gotten secondary yet, I was starting to worry

So much for getting verified early to try and get a head start. Looks like many more people will be at the same starting point for NU.

Yay! This makes me feel better about submitting so late. :clap:

still no secondary! oh man... perhaps they're overwhelmed with all of the curriculum change issues...hope they get to us soon!

still no secondary! oh man... perhaps they're overwhelmed with all of the curriculum change issues...hope they get to us soon!

tumblr_m7sa4j7XV51r3a5z6.gif

I think after this entire app process is all over, patience will be a strength we can all add to our list of qualities :)

I think after this entire app process is all over, patience will be a strength we can all add to our list of qualities :)

And "High Blood Pressure" to our medical records.

I called admissions office yesterday. They indicated that they were behind this year in their application process and are hoping to have secondaries out in the next two weeks.

I called admissions office yesterday. They indicated that they were behind this year in their application process and are hoping to have secondaries out in the next two weeks.

tumblr_m8i8wwqDQj1qiyqyfo1_500.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I was downtown yesterday with a friend with nothing to do for a few hours so we went over to Feinberg to see if we could look around the campus a bit. We went into the main building but the security guard told us that we couldn't look around without an ID. Oh well, it would've been nice to see. From the lobby the building looked very old, but nice-old. The campus location is beautiful, right by Lake Michigan and Navy Pier. The brand new Children's Hospital also looks amazing!

I might have tried to make an appointment with someone from the admissions office but I was wearing my Jay Cutler jersey since I was going to the Bears game later that evening, and I didn't want to come off as looking unprofessional.

C'mon Northwestern, please send out your secondaries soon!

Anyone prewriting the essays? Don't wanna do it if there is a good possibliity that the essays are gonna change.

Anyone prewriting the essays? Don't wanna do it if there is a good possibliity that the essays are gonna change.

I decided that I'm going to hold off on pre-writing NU's essays because I would hate to waste time writing something I wouldn't end up using, especially since I still have other secondaries I'm busy with. If you are done with all of your other secondaries it may not be such a bad idea for you.

I decided that I'm going to hold off on pre-writing NU's essays because I would hate to waste time writing something I wouldn't end up using, especially since I still have other secondaries I'm busy with. If you are done with all of your other secondaries it may not be such a bad idea for you.

Since I have neither received NU nor Vandy for secondaries I'm deciding to hold off on them even though the rest of mine are finished. NU isn't set in stone (as per questions) and Vandy screens, so there's no point.

Enjoy our summers, right? :D

There's no way I'll ever regret this!

Feinberg School of Medicine: Taking "Fashionably Late" to the next level....

Feinberg School of Medicine: Taking "Fashionably Late" to the next level....

They're going to crap their pants when they get all 6+ thousand secondaries back the same day....

They're going to crap their pants when they get all 6+ thousand secondaries back the same day....

that or start screening by numbers :cry:

also tried to stalk you ... and ur mdapps link doesn't work hee hee

Haha this made me laugh. Truth is, I just spoke to my friend and he has barely started his secondaries. I think people on SDN are very fast about getting things done, whereas many people probably won't be able to return NU's secondary the same day they get it because they are still backed up with other secondaries.

Haha this made me laugh. Truth is, I just spoke to my friend and he has barely started his secondaries. I think people on SDN are very fast about getting things done, whereas many people probably won't be able to return NU's secondary the same day they get it because they are still backed up with other secondaries.

I would say by this point most people have started them, though.

This was posted 8/9, so I guess we can expect NU's secondary sometime next week?

I am actually very glad that this school is late on secondaries. Helps so much knowing that I can deal with others while not falling behind others in the race for the school

FSM has had somewhat of a problem launching its new curriculum to the incoming M1's, so I wonder if that has to do with why their secondary app hasn't been released yet.

But our M1 orientation week ended, and I am super excited! The new curriculum features:
- combining normal and abnormal physio during the first 20 months ("phase 1" = 20 months = pre-clinical). If I'm not mistaken, it seems like anatomy is dispersed throughout the majority of that time period, depending on which organ system we are on.
- everything is still p/f, no internal ranking system
- PBL and TBL (team-based learning) is a big part of the learning experience
- exams are once every ~5 weeks or so
- daily schedule looks like... lecture from ~8am to noon PLUS some afternoon sessions 3 of the days (i.e. on TWO of the days, I am done with classes by noon-ish)
- after year 1, we get 4 weeks that we have to dedicate to "AOSC" and 5 weeks of "vacation" (this is in contrast to the usual 12 weeks of summer --> our "2nd year" begins in late July)
- "AOSC" is a REQUIRED "thesis" project that is new to our year. It can be a mentor-guided project in whatever interests you really! It just has to be turned in by your 4th year.
- tons of clinical experience weaved in to the "preclinical" years. Just during orientation week, we had 3 "patient interview" sessions, whether in groups or individual!! Our official clinical experience will begin in Sept. For that, this year, they are launching another program for this called ECMH - a select group of us gets to participate in this, which allows for longitudinal clinical experience in a group setting (physician + M1/M2/M3/M4 in a group). This is to emphasize the purpose of teamwork, and we get to work with upperclassmen in this setting.
- We get about a month of board review time in March/April, and then we begin Clinical Rotations ("3rd year" = "phase 2" at northwestern) in May. This gets us in clinical mode much earlier than before.

Ok, I think that sums up some of the key points I remember from orientation week about our new curriculum. Sorry if it seems a bit scattered! We were on a bit of an information overload this past week.

But I have to say, after orientation week, I have to say that the faculty here is fantastic -- they are so enthusiastic about teaching us and thrilled about the new curriculum. They really put in a LOT of thought into this new curriculum, and the orientation week already demonstrated that. But more importantly, my classmates seem amazing! They are such an insightful bunch, and I am really excited to start the academic year with them!!

Anyway, if you have any more questions, either now or later, please PM me! I am not sure I will get to check this forum very often. Good luck guys!

Wow, awesome information, thanks so much. The new curriculum sounds amazing, although I wish I knew more about other medical schools' curricula to really compare it to.

If you do happen to find out any information on when the secondary will be released please let us know!

Last edited:
Hey guys, I was given a secondary fee waiver and had to email the admissions office to accept it, and they said this in their email reply this morning:

"Our office has received your AMCAS application, and we will sometime in the next few weeks be sending you the supplemental invitation e-mail."

Not sure if that's just an automated message, or if they in fact are still going to be a few more weeks...? :annoyed:

Did you just email them your FAP acceptance email?

The worst part of this is that the secondary essays can't be prewritten since they'll prolly change.

Awesome to have this kind of detailed curriculum info, thanks!

Hope we all start getting FSM's secondary soon!

Has the secondary application for Northwestern been sent out yet?

This is the only school I'm waiting to get a secondary app...

Has the secondary application for Northwestern been sent out yet?

This is the only school I'm waiting to get a secondary app...

So, sorry for being snarky, but you literally could have scrolled up to see multiple posts saying that the secondary is still not out.

Here's to hoping there isn't a single essay on the secondary.

Just watch. It is going to be the longest, most brutal secondary with essays no one has pre-written...

This is SDN. You know someone will have submitted within minutes of receiving still. Also, those that didn't are at an extreme disadvantage.

Is Northwestern the only school yet to send out a secondary this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.