2019-2020 Northwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary Prompt:
Given the distinctive educational philosophy and integrated curriculum at FSM, describe how your personal characteristics and learning style would fit the institution, and how Feinberg School of Medicine will help you achieve your professional goals. (200 words)

Describe the steps you take to manage your personal stress when confronted with difficult situations. (200 words)

Feinberg's mission is to impact the practice of medicine through discovery and education. With consideration of FSM's goal to train future leaders in medicine, please describe your career plans and goals. Be as specific as your current thinking will allow. (200 words)
(if applicable): If you have (or expect to have) a year or more between college graduation and medical school matriculation, describe your activities and/or plans.

For REAPPLICANTS: Please also address steps taken to improve your application for medical school. (200 words)

The Feinberg School of Medicine values diversity as a measure of excellence. We define diversity as the totality of the characteristics and experiences of our students. We believe that a diverse student body improves the educational environment and the ability of our graduates to serve an increasingly diverse patient population. Everyone has their own narrative. Please provide more detail about how your experiences would enrich the Northwestern community. (200 words)

Afterwards is a spectrum of checkboxes about diversity.

MTSP Prompts:
MSTP Prompts (all 200 words):

1) Why did you choose your undergraduate major? How does the subject appeal to you?

2) Name a scientific paper that you have read recently that had a strong impact on you and describe what impact it had.

3) Discuss a current unanswered question in biomedical research that you find particularly interesting and what research you would like to see done to address it.

4) (If applicable): If you have (or expect to have) a year or more between college graduation and medical school matriculation, describe your activities and/or plans.
For REAPPLICANTS: Please also address steps taken to improve your application.

5) Everyone has their own narrative. Please provide more detail about how your experiences would enrich the Northwestern community.

6) What is the most gratifying research experience you have had to date and why? What was the greatest obstacle you had to overcome in research and how did you overcome it?
Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Northwestern University

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If any URMs are applying, I just got a diversity & inclusion recruitment letter in the mail offering to waive the secondary fee, so be on the lookout.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else having an issue logging into their supplemental? I can get into applyweb but when I attempt to log in to the supplemental app it says "Your login to the Supplemental Application has failed. This could be due to one of the following:".

BTW if you are applying with the waiver peanuttbuttah mentioned, do not submit your supplemental until they tell you it's okay to do so.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
BTW if you are applying with the waiver peanuttbuttah mentioned, do not submit your supplemental until they tell you it's okay to do so.
The letter says each waiver is processed on mondays and ready by tuesdays, so I'm gonna write this one up over the weekend and submit after the waiver goes through.

Anyone else having an issue logging into their supplemental? I can get into applyweb but when I attempt to log in to the supplemental app it says "Your login to the Supplemental Application has failed. This could be due to one of the following:".

Are the prompts the same as last year? I haven't yet received the secondary but I have prewritten these so I'm hoping they've stayed the same.

Schools can subscribe to MCAT lists where they request to be notified of names meeting their school averages or a particular range of scores.

do you think you only get those emails after sending the primary? I haven't received any info. from schools but feel like I may have not checked off wanting it sent to schools..
I am aware of 2 people who received email letters from different deans 4 years apart before the application season started - Both fit the school profiles. One targets 99+ percentile MCAT score and the other is at 97%ile.

The application is up but it's making me click the fee waiver application or it comes up as incomplete. I was planning on waiting until next week for the waiver email regardless.

Edit: and the prompts haven't changed for MD.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The application is up but it's making me click the fee waiver application or it comes up as incomplete. I was planning on waiting until next week for the waiver email regardless.

Edit: and the prompts haven't changed for MD.

What do you mean the app is up? Did you get an email, or did you just go their website?

What do you mean the app is up? Did you get an email, or did you just go their website?
The email came yesterday. It prompts you to a page that you log into - you then click on the supplemental application from that page and have to log into a separate page. That second page was down yesterday, it's up now.

Members don't see this ad :)
+3

@PapaGuava

Given the distinctive educational philosophy and integrated curriculum at FSM, describe how your personal characteristics and learning style would fit the institution, and how Feinberg School of Medicine will help you achieve your professional goals. (200 words)
Describe the steps you take to manage your personal stress when confronted with difficult situations. (200 words)
Feinberg's mission is to impact the practice of medicine through discovery and education. With consideration of FSM's goal to train future leaders in medicine, please describe your career plans and goals. Be as specific as your current thinking will allow. (200 words)
(if applicable): If you have (or expect to have) a year or more between college graduation and medical school matriculation, describe your activities and/or plans. For REAPPLICANTS: Please also address steps taken to improve your application for medical school. (200 words)

The Feinberg School of Medicine values diversity as a measure of excellence. We define diversity as the totality of the characteristics and experiences of our students. We believe that a diverse student body improves the educational environment and the ability of our graduates to serve an increasingly diverse patient population. Everyone has their own narrative. Please provide more detail about how your experiences would enrich the Northwestern community. (200 words)

Afterwards is a spectrum of checkboxes about diversity.

Did I just have to certify that I am at least 13 years old? Are there 12 year olds attempting to apply to Northwestern? What in the what?

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if the screen before secondaries? I applied here because I have family who graduated from dental school and I want to know if I should even waste time with this lol.

Does anyone know if the screen before secondaries? I applied here because I have family who graduated from dental school and I want to know if I should even waste time with this lol.

I dont think they screen before sending secondaries but their matriculant stats are pretty high so to be honest with you I wouldnt waste your time and money

Attachments

• 9F2180DB-AD5D-4706-A37E-C1BB2A46FDA6.gif
    9F2180DB-AD5D-4706-A37E-C1BB2A46FDA6.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 140
No secondary received yet :/

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
No secondary received yet :/

I think MD-PhD secondaries are sent later than MD secondaries here, at least based on last year’s thread

I dont think they screen before sending secondaries but their matriculant stats are pretty high so to be honest with you I wouldnt waste your time and money

That’s what I’m thinking but I might just recycle a secondary and send it over, what’s another $100 when I’m already paying thousands honestly.

Submitted but their website is weird and have not gotten a confirmation email.

y'all think that Northwestern will be mad about my "specify" answer for race/ethnicity?

"White - Specify: German, Irish, and a sprinkle of British"

Don't know why I put it but YOLO

Submitted but their website is weird and have not gotten a confirmation email.
+1 ... I'm just assuming its through because you can't really see your submitted app and it doesn't tell you that its submitted.

+1 ... I'm just assuming its through because you can't really see your submitted app and it doesn't tell you that its submitted.
It even says 'expect a payment receipt" but I never got a receipt. YOLO

None of you have the check next to "Supplemental received" in the status page right? All I can see the payment confirmation page with "Thank you for your application to the Feinberg School of Medicine" when I try to click "Begin your application" again.

None of you have the check next to "Supplemental received" in the status page right? All I can see the payment confirmation page with "Thank you for your application to the Feinberg School of Medicine" when I try to click "Begin your application" again.

Correct

Anyone else still receives no secondary yet for Northwestern? Regular MD applicant

If any URMs are applying, I just got a diversity & inclusion recruitment letter in the mail offering to waive the secondary fee, so be on the lookout.
Thanks for this, just realized I got this in an email last October!

Shoot, want to submit my secondary today but now feel like I should wait for the fee waiver to save 95$. Got the secondary last Friday so was hoping to get it in in under a week

Shoot, want to submit my secondary today but now feel like I should wait for the fee waiver to save 95$. Got the secondary last Friday so was hoping to get it in in under a week
I never got an email back on Monday so now I'm considering just biting the bullet on it...

also I love your avatar.

• Love
I never got an email back on Monday so now I'm considering just biting the bullet on it...

also I love your avatar.
Haha thank you! Hmm okay well now I'm thinking I might just have to do that too. I got the secondary on Friday, if I had known about it then I probably would have had time... Shoot.

also I love your avatar.

This e-mail is to notify you that, unfortunately, this week’s fee waiver processing has been delayed due to an error in our office’s weekly data downloads from AMCAS. Our I.T. office has resubmitted your fee waiver request and they said that fee waivers should be ready by tomorrow (Wednesday) afternoon, at which time I’ll e-mail you to let you know the fee waiver is ready.

My apologies for this delay. Please let me know if you have any questions.

This e-mail is to notify you that, unfortunately, this week’s fee waiver processing has been delayed due to an error in our office’s weekly data downloads from AMCAS. Our I.T. office has resubmitted your fee waiver request and they said that fee waivers should be ready by tomorrow (Wednesday) afternoon, at which time I’ll e-mail you to let you know the fee waiver is ready.

My apologies for this delay. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks for keeping us updated! If I submitted mine today, should I also expect mine to be ready tomorrow / soon?

Thanks for keeping us updated! If I submitted mine today, should I also expect mine to be ready tomorrow / soon?
Ah, I'm sorry man. That's the email they sent me. I don't actually work for Northwestern. Me and you are in the same boat.

My waiver just got processed, for those waiting on theirs!

Reactions: 4 users
Just got an email saying mine should be ready next Monday... probably just gonna submit the secondary and cry a little. I'm so sad I have my credit card number memorized

Just got an email saying mine should be ready next Monday... probably just gonna submit the secondary and cry a little. I'm so sad I have my credit card number memorized
Don’t even memorize. Just let Google fill it out for you so that you just think of it as a button to click rather than actual money

Has anyone entered "In holistic review" on the home page yet?

• Haha