2020-2021 Northwestern (Feinberg)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Spoke with a current MS4 at Feinberg and he basically said that if you want to do ENT, do NOT go to Northwestern.

Would you agree?
I don't know much about ENT to agree or disagree with this, but I can tell you this is the first time I'm hearing such thing. I would be curious to hear more about why he said that.

Taking a step back, more than half of the matriculating medical students change their mind about specialty choice. The specialty with highest "staying power" was cited as ortho (53.6%) and peds (37.7%) which means less than a third of students will end up staying with ENT or whatever other specialty. With that in mind, if I were choosing medical school to attend, specialty in mind wouldn't fall high on the list of factors to consider.
 
Spoke with a current MS4 at Feinberg and he basically said that if you want to do ENT, do NOT go to Northwestern.

Would you agree?

I don't know much about ENT to agree or disagree with this, but I can tell you this is the first time I'm hearing such thing. I would be curious to hear more about why he said that.

Taking a step back, more than half of the matriculating medical students change their mind about specialty choice. The specialty with highest "staying power" was cited as ortho (53.6%) and peds (37.7%) which means less than a third of students will end up staying with ENT or whatever other specialty. With that in mind, if I were choosing medical school to attend, specialty in mind wouldn't fall high on the list of factors to consider.

I personally think that is a weird thing to say for any specialty unless the school does not have any mentors in that department whatsoever. Even then, as previously mentioned, most people change their minds.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
uh oh, that's not a good sign....


lol jk, they sent an email yesterday to fill out a form that asked for our shirt sizes. If you were accepted early on, maybe you got this a while ago?
It might be because of the Choose Your Medical School Tool. Maybe they only sent it to those who selected Feinberg on there? I haven't...
 
Here is the Feinberg 2021 Match List Results Summarized for anyone curious:

Anesthesiology14
Child Neurology0
Dermatology2
Emergency Medicine11
ENT2
Family Medicine6
Internal Medicine40
IM EM0
Interventional Radiology3
Med-Anesthesia0
Med-Dermatology0
Med-Peds1
Med-Primary5
Ob/Gyn5
Ophthalmology6
Orthopaedics7
Neurosurgery4
Neurology4
Pathology3
Pediatrics9
Pediatrics-Anesthesiology0
Peds/Psych/Child Psych1
PM&R2
Plastic Surgery1
Psychiatry6
Radiation Oncology0
Radiology13
Surgery8
Thoraic Surgery0
Urology5
Vascular Surgery0
Total158
 
I have seen statistics from 2018 where Feinberg gives out around 530 acceptances but only 160 end up accepting. This is a significantly lower proportion of matriculants in the accepted pool as opposed to what you would see at other schools. I was wondering if any current med students on this thread had any insight as to why this may be?
 
I have seen statistics from 2018 where Feinberg gives out around 530 acceptances but only 160 end up accepting. This is a significantly lower proportion of matriculants in the accepted pool as opposed to what you would see at other schools. I was wondering if any current med students on this thread had any insight as to why this may be?
No idea sorry
 
I have seen statistics from 2018 where Feinberg gives out around 530 acceptances but only 160 end up accepting. This is a significantly lower proportion of matriculants in the accepted pool as opposed to what you would see at other schools. I was wondering if any current med students on this thread had any insight as to why this may be?

Can't even pretend to know why these students went to other schools. There are so many factors that go into the decision that it is nearly impossible to know this answer without mass surveys.
 
I have seen statistics from 2018 where Feinberg gives out around 530 acceptances but only 160 end up accepting. This is a significantly lower proportion of matriculants in the accepted pool as opposed to what you would see at other schools. I was wondering if any current med students on this thread had any insight as to why this may be?
If you are comparing to other T10-20s, Cornell and Vanderbilt are probaly the most similar to Northwestern and have very similar yields.

There are schools like Duke, Pitt, and UMich with regional preferences so the yield is higher. Some others, especially the ones with smaller class sizes, tend to be more generous with aid.

So I don’t think FSM is particularly less desirable. Just a combination of admission policy and higher COA due to Chicago COL + larger class size.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To currently accepted students that received scholarship, did y’all receive a little/lot relatively speaking? Heard that Feinberg doesn’t really give out money, but some people have been reporting scholarships.
 
To currently accepted students that received scholarship, did y’all receive a little/lot relatively speaking? Heard that Feinberg doesn’t really give out money, but some people have been reporting scholarships.
Feinberg definitely gives merit scholarships. Did you search past years’ threads for ‘Merit’ or scholarship?
 
Last edited:
just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck everyone!

How did you do that? Did you just e-mail them? I don't see a button for that on the portal and Idk if I need to actually let them know or if I just commit to enroll to the school I'm going to on 4/30
 
How did you do that? Did you just e-mail them? I don't see a button for that on the portal and Idk if I need to actually let them know or if I just commit to enroll to the school I'm going to on 4/30

I also sent a formal email to withdraw, as a courtesy.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Spoke to the MSTP yesterday. They said the “deferred” people = the waitlist. They’re expecting significant waitlist movement beginning Monday! 😃
Thank you for sharing! That's awesome they called you I feel like that's a good sign. Good luck everyone! @salmon98 @supersonic99

Edit: For the record I did not get any calls
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad