2020-2021 Northwestern (Feinberg)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you so much for doing this! How have you found the curriculum at Feinberg? Did you think it prepared you well for Board exams and assisted with residency match (AOSC requirement in your favor, even non STEM based research)? Also, how many people can you estimate failed to match or fell down heavily in their choices? Have you found living in Chicago reasonably priced (due to roommates or distance from school)?

Sorry for the obscure questions, they may not be well-guided but they sure are the ones pressing in my mind right now
Also wanted to elaborate on the match question. Feinberg does not ask students for their final rank list. So there's no data on how ppl match their top x choices. But the majority of people are happy with where they match. In terms of # of unmatched, NEARLY all of people unmatched this year was ortho > ENT > uro. But if you look at # of matched in those specialty this year and the places they're going, not much change from previous years (if this means anything)

Members don't see this ad.

Also wanted to elaborate on the match question. Feinberg does not ask students for their final rank list. So there's no data on how ppl match their top x choices. But the majority of people are happy with where they match. In terms of # of unmatched, NEARLY all of people unmatched this year was ortho > ENT > uro. But if you look at # of matched in those specialty this year and the places they're going, not much change from previous years (if this means anything)
Spoke with a current MS4 at Feinberg and he basically said that if you want to do ENT, do NOT go to Northwestern.

Would you agree?

Spoke with a current MS4 at Feinberg and he basically said that if you want to do ENT, do NOT go to Northwestern.

Would you agree?
I don't know much about ENT to agree or disagree with this, but I can tell you this is the first time I'm hearing such thing. I would be curious to hear more about why he said that.

Taking a step back, more than half of the matriculating medical students change their mind about specialty choice. The specialty with highest "staying power" was cited as ortho (53.6%) and peds (37.7%) which means less than a third of students will end up staying with ENT or whatever other specialty. With that in mind, if I were choosing medical school to attend, specialty in mind wouldn't fall high on the list of factors to consider.

Members don't see this ad :)

Would you agree?

I don't know much about ENT to agree or disagree with this, but I can tell you this is the first time I'm hearing such thing. I would be curious to hear more about why he said that.

Taking a step back, more than half of the matriculating medical students change their mind about specialty choice. The specialty with highest "staying power" was cited as ortho (53.6%) and peds (37.7%) which means less than a third of students will end up staying with ENT or whatever other specialty. With that in mind, if I were choosing medical school to attend, specialty in mind wouldn't fall high on the list of factors to consider.

I personally think that is a weird thing to say for any specialty unless the school does not have any mentors in that department whatsoever. Even then, as previously mentioned, most people change their minds.

Dang the wait is real. I was thinking maybe we would hear today given their second look is coming up in two weeks or something, but I’m losing hope
Are people supposed to limit their acceptances by April 1?... If that's the case, we should probably hear something after then

Are people supposed to limit their acceptances by April 1?... If that's the case, we should probably hear something after then
Nothing on April 1st I believe. People have to limit down to 3 acceptances by April 15th and then to one by April 30th.

Reactions: 1 user
uh oh, that's not a good sign....

lol jk, they sent an email yesterday to fill out a form that asked for our shirt sizes. If you were accepted early on, maybe you got this a while ago?
It might be because of the Choose Your Medical School Tool. Maybe they only sent it to those who selected Feinberg on there? I haven't...

Here is the Feinberg 2021 Match List Results Summarized for anyone curious:

Anesthesiology14
Child Neurology0
Dermatology2
Emergency Medicine11
ENT2
Family Medicine6
Internal Medicine40
IM EM0
Interventional Radiology3
Med-Anesthesia0
Med-Dermatology0
Med-Peds1
Med-Primary5
Ob/Gyn5
Ophthalmology6
Orthopaedics7
Neurosurgery4
Neurology4
Pathology3
Pediatrics9
Pediatrics-Anesthesiology0
Peds/Psych/Child Psych1
PM&R2
Plastic Surgery1
Psychiatry6
Radiation Oncology0
Radiology13
Surgery8
Thoraic Surgery0
Urology5
Vascular Surgery0
Total158

Reactions: 2 users
I have seen statistics from 2018 where Feinberg gives out around 530 acceptances but only 160 end up accepting. This is a significantly lower proportion of matriculants in the accepted pool as opposed to what you would see at other schools. I was wondering if any current med students on this thread had any insight as to why this may be?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have seen statistics from 2018 where Feinberg gives out around 530 acceptances but only 160 end up accepting. This is a significantly lower proportion of matriculants in the accepted pool as opposed to what you would see at other schools. I was wondering if any current med students on this thread had any insight as to why this may be?
No idea sorry

Can't even pretend to know why these students went to other schools. There are so many factors that go into the decision that it is nearly impossible to know this answer without mass surveys.

If you are comparing to other T10-20s, Cornell and Vanderbilt are probaly the most similar to Northwestern and have very similar yields.

There are schools like Duke, Pitt, and UMich with regional preferences so the yield is higher. Some others, especially the ones with smaller class sizes, tend to be more generous with aid.

So I don’t think FSM is particularly less desirable. Just a combination of admission policy and higher COA due to Chicago COL + larger class size.

If the traffic guidelines are anything to go by it could start tomorrow on the 15th :oops:

Reactions: 1 users
Did any accepted students do the 15 minute meeting with Dean Kundu? If so, what did you talk about?

To currently accepted students that received scholarship, did y’all receive a little/lot relatively speaking? Heard that Feinberg doesn’t really give out money, but some people have been reporting scholarships.

To currently accepted students that received scholarship, did y’all receive a little/lot relatively speaking? Heard that Feinberg doesn’t really give out money, but some people have been reporting scholarships.
Feinberg definitely gives merit scholarships. Did you search past years’ threads for ‘Merit’ or scholarship?

Last edited:
just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck everyone!

How did you do that? Did you just e-mail them? I don't see a button for that on the portal and Idk if I need to actually let them know or if I just commit to enroll to the school I'm going to on 4/30

How did you do that? Did you just e-mail them? I don't see a button for that on the portal and Idk if I need to actually let them know or if I just commit to enroll to the school I'm going to on 4/30

I also sent a formal email to withdraw, as a courtesy.

To those on the WL, did anyone get an email from Feinberg earlier today asking whether you still want to remain on the WL?

Spoke to the MSTP yesterday. They said the “deferred” people = the waitlist. They’re expecting significant waitlist movement beginning Monday! 😃
maybe a dumb question lol but is this WL movement only for MSTP candidates or all MD applicants?

Spoke to the MSTP yesterday. They said the “deferred” people = the waitlist. They’re expecting significant waitlist movement beginning Monday! 😃
Thank you for sharing! That's awesome they called you I feel like that's a good sign. Good luck everyone! @salmon98 @supersonic99

Edit: For the record I did not get any calls

Last edited:
* Waitlisted
* Sent letter of intent
* Missed a call from a 312 area code (Chicago) this morning, no voicemail
* ohgodohgodohgod
* BREATHE. IN. OUT. IN. OUT.
* Call them back, heart pumping. This is it!!
* phone ringing

:) ...
"Thank you for calling the national dealer services"
... :(

Y'all, my heart has been on a RIDE today

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
If the class groupme is a proxy for class size, there’s definitely a lot of spots still open

• Love
Reactions: 6 users