You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019-2020 Northwestern
Started by PapaGuava
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
+1Just got the email about second look being cancelled... "Dear FSM Class of 2024 Accepted Students," does this mean I've been accepted? LOL still haven't heard back
alwayssleeping023
Full Member
I get it, but I'm kind of bummed... I wanted to meet y'all in person lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted994247
Anyone else gonna be attending two virtual events on the same day? Should be interesting.
Me! Very curious to see how it'll work out lolAnyone else gonna be attending two virtual events on the same day? Should be interesting.
stressed0-0
Full Member
Well that sucks. I think I might still fly to Chicago and explore the city.
UteFan1234
Full Member
Anybody know anything about getting refunds for flights due to this cancellation? If not I may still fly to Chicago anyway. anyone else thinking about doing the same thing?
ButImNotARapper
Full Member
Airlines have changed it so you get airline credit towards a future flight if you cancel for at least right now. I booked southwest, cancelled my flight and got the credit towards a future flight. Expires a year from today.Anybody know anything about getting refunds for flights due to this cancellation? If not I may still fly to Chicago anyway. anyone else thinking about doing the same thing?
medschoolthrowaway2020
Full Member
FYI southwest has always done this. Its not exclusively for COVID-19.Airlines have changed it so you get airline credit towards a future flight if you cancel for at least right now. I booked southwest, cancelled my flight and got the credit towards a future flight. Expires a year from today.
filthy_premed
Full Member
Just got the A! Guess it WAS my acceptance
Same!Just got the A! Guess it WAS my acceptance
@tikihut, nope, no info yet. 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted994247
Last year they heard back on the 21st
Interviewed back in Dec. and got deferred. Also wondering the same thing!Were we supposed to hear back by the March 15th deadline? I interviewed in December but haven't heard back since then. Or does NW do silent rejections?? Thanks!
Last edited:
what is the march 15 deadline for?
nomoresnailmail
New Member
Anyone else who has been WL no longer have a secondary portal? I just have the secondary payment confirmation page now.
D
deleted958920
what is the march 15 deadline for?
Medical schools are required to accept at least the amount of students they plan to enroll by March 15th. So if a schools has 120 seats, they are required to have made 120 acceptance offers by March 15th.
Medical schools are required to accept at least the amount of students they plan to enroll by March 15th. So if a schools has 120 seats, they are required to have made 120 acceptance offers by March 15th.
Is that still true with the new traffic rules? I couldn’t find this info/change on the AAMC website
D
deleted958920
Is that still true with the new traffic rules? I couldn’t find this info/change on the AAMC website
Application and Acceptance Protocols - Admission Officers
Recommendations to help ensure that all MD and MD-PhD applicants receive timely notification about the outcome of their AMCAS® application. These guidelines are not intended to supersede the policies, timelines, or discretion of individual schools or programs. Applicants are expected to become...
Try this link to find the info but on the page it says:
"By March 15 of the matriculation year, issue a number of acceptance offers at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and report those acceptance actions to AMCAS."
![]()
Application and Acceptance Protocols - Admission Officers
Recommendations to help ensure that all MD and MD-PhD applicants receive timely notification about the outcome of their AMCAS® application. These guidelines are not intended to supersede the policies, timelines, or discretion of individual schools or programs. Applicants are expected to become...students-residents.aamc.org
Try this link to find the info but on the page it says:
"By March 15 of the matriculation year, issue a number of acceptance offers at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and report those acceptance actions to AMCAS."
thanks for the info!
How long after submitting your financial information did you receive a package from NW? I sent mine but have not yet received a package. I am sure I will get one but am wondering when I should be expecting it.
D
deleted994247
expect it any time from a minute from now until early april. they might be delayed due to corona.How long after submitting your financial information did you receive a package from NW? I sent mine but have not yet received a package. I am sure I will get one but am wondering when I should be expecting it.
How long after submitting your financial information did you receive a package from NW? I sent mine but have not yet received a package. I am sure I will get one but am wondering when I should be expecting it.
I submitted my financial aid things in late January but haven't heard anything. At least based on SDN, it doesn't look like they've sent out any packages yet.
Has anyone been able to get in contact with the Office of Admissions? I called them and no one picked up, I'm wondering if financial aid packages will be delayed due to everything that's been going on...
Illinois is in shelter in place, so they’re most likely not in the office. I would bet that they are working remotely from home so I would send an email!
Tumornator
Full Member
I ended up emailing the office of financial aid - packages have been delayed and will be out beginning of April
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted994247
oy vey. i wonder if they will delay the April 15th and April 30th AMCAS dates? Seems unfair if someone is unable to negotiate aid prior to the April 15th "drop down to 3" deadline.I ended up emailing the office of financial aid - packages have been delayed and will be out beginning of April
diasterdream
Full Member
oy vey. i wonder if they will delay the April 15th and April 30th AMCAS dates? Seems unfair if someone is unable to negotiate aid prior to the April 15th "drop down to 3" deadline.
From what I understand, the April 15 deadline is a recommendation from the AAMC that isn't directly enforced. We can still "keep" more than 3 acceptances as long as we have a justifiable reason for it like negotiating aid. AAMC wants to help facilitate the beginning of waitlist movement by suggesting people narrow down their acceptances.
D
deleted994247
oh wow thanks good to know, i thought it was a rule, this makes life easier for everyone lolFrom what I understand, the April 15 deadline is a recommendation from the AAMC that isn't directly enforced. We can still "keep" more than 3 acceptances as long as we have a justifiable reason for it like negotiating aid. AAMC wants to help facilitate the beginning of waitlist movement by suggesting people narrow down their acceptances.
diasterdream
Full Member
Yeah I was stressing about it too! Makes life a tiny bit easieroh wow thanks good to know, i thought it was a rule, this makes life easier for everyone lol
Yeah -- not to worry because there cannot be any enforcement before 4/30, since schools have no ability to run reports to see whether you are holding other As before then. The report available after 4/30 will allow schools where you hold As or WLs to see if you have PTEd or CTEd elsewhere, without telling them where. Of course, you can only PTE at one school, so that's when this gets real! (I.e., if you hold an A at a school and have PTEd at another school, the A school will see the PTE on 5/1 and will probably drop you.)oh wow thanks good to know, i thought it was a rule, this makes life easier for everyone lol
Last edited:
medschoolthrowaway2020
Full Member
I'm in the same position with fin aid and its frustrating but I'm not sure I would play it fast and loose with this one, if you can avoid it. At a different tp 20 school, the admin lady that ran the interview day told us a story about having to rescind an acceptance from someone who did not follow the PTE/CTE deadlines. This is probably a better question for the schools and AAMC and is not the best time to be taking advice from internet premeds and current applicants. Yes, I see the irony that I am a current applicant giving advice lol but I would hate to see anyone get that sweet sweet A taken away.Yeah -- not to worry because there cannot be any enforcement before 4/30, since schools have no ability to run reports to see whether you are holding other As before then. The report available after 4/30 will allow schools where you hold As or WLs to see if you have PTEd or CTEd elsewhere, without telling them where. Of course, you can only PTE at one school, so that's when this gets real! (I.e., if you hold an A at a school and have PTEd at another school, the A school will see the PTE on 5/1 and will probably drop you.)
You are absolutely correct!!! 🙂 The fact remains, however, that 4/30 is the first real deadline -- reducing to three As by 4/15 is an unenforceable suggestion. It involves neither PTE nor CTE. Believe it or not, prior to 4/30 a school won't even know whether or not you PTEd to them -- they can only see aggregate data on how many of their accepted students have PTEd to their school or to another! All you need to do is check the AAMC website to confirm.I'm in the same position with fin aid and its frustrating but I'm not sure I would play it fast and loose with this one, if you can avoid it. At a different tp 20 school, the admin lady that ran the interview day told us a story about having to rescind an acceptance from someone who did not follow the PTE/CTE deadlines. This is probably a better question for the schools and AAMC and is not the best time to be taking advice from internet premeds and current applicants. Yes, I see the irony that I am a current applicant giving advice lol but I would hate to see anyone get that sweet sweet A taken away.
They want you to reduce to three to jump start WL movement, and most people won't have the desire or need to hold more after that date, but no one needs to feel pressure to do so if they are not ready, especially if financial aid decisions are delayed. In any event, the deadline to reduce to one (and select PTE if not CTE) is only two weeks thereafter, so all will be good then!!
Last edited:
medschoolthrowaway2020
Full Member
The fact remains that no one should be letting their A hang on the advice of a stranger on the internet that is yet to even enter the application process. Your school won’t be able to see how many schools you have on which day but AMCAS certainly can. If you have done the work to get an acceptance at a school like this just take the extra 20 minutes to call AMCAS and your schools to make sure you won’t be jeopardizing any of your hard earned achievements.You are absolutely correct!!! 🙂 The fact remains, however, that 4/30 is the first real deadline -- reducing to three As by 4/15 is an unenforceable suggestion. It involves neither PTE nor CTE. Believe it or not, prior to 4/30 a school won't even know whether or not you PTEd to them -- they can only see aggregate data on how many of their accepted students have PTEd to their school or to another! All you need to do is check the AAMC website to confirm.
They want you to reduce to three to jump start WL movement, and most people won't have the desire or need to hold more after that date, but no one needs to feel pressure to do so if they are not ready, especially if financial aid decisions are delayed. In any event, the deadline to reduce to one (and select PTE if not CTE) is only two weeks thereafter, so all will be good then!!
D
deleted994247
"We hope to begin releasing award notices on a rolling basis later this week" niiiice
Tumornator
Full Member
Under "View NU Financial Aid History", I now see a "Medical School Grant" amount
Where is that?Under "View NU Financial Aid History", I now see a "Medical School Grant" amount
Tumornator
Full Member
You go on CAESAR if you have an account -> financial aid -> View NU Financial aid history
+1 I don’t have the “View NU financial aid history” option eitherI don't see that in my CAESAR![]()
+2, time for a new conspiracy theory!+1 I don’t have the “View NU financial aid history” option either
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Tumornator
Full Member
The reason you all might not have it is because I have previously taken courses at NU, hence the history
Medapplicant19
Full Member
Does anyone know if you need to submit CSS/FAFSA for merit aid?
D
deleted994247
"All students admitted to the MD program are automatically considered for merit scholarships; no application is required."Does anyone know if you need to submit CSS/FAFSA for merit aid?
also feinberg doesn't use the CSS. for need-based scholarship they have their own form
D
deleted994247
any other people with previous history at NU see their aid amounts? or just @TumornatorThe reason you all might not have it is because I have previously taken courses at NU, hence the history
any other people with previous history at NU see their aid amounts? or just @Tumornator
I do. I can see previous aid awards, but my 2020-21 Feinberg aid award is not yet available.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1K
- Views
- 435K