2019-2020 Northwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I do. I can see previous aid awards, but my 2020-21 Feinberg aid award is not yet available.
k, so I guess we just have to neurotically check our caesar portals as they roll out individually

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
same, scholarship and grant. but withdrawing so hopefully will go to one of you!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
grant+scholarship. utterly confused about the social norms of discussing the package with the office

Reactions: 1 user
this might be a dumb question, but i received a medical school grant from northwestern in my aid offer, does a grant needed to be repaid? or is it similar to a scholarship?

Anyone know what the maximum merit scholarship amount is?
Edit: Received a scholly+grant, wondering what room I have to negotiate my package as a whole

Last edited:
i'm pretty sure that grants are just awarded money for financial need, where scholarships are merit-based! Loans need to be repaid, but the other two are free and clear

Just got a scholarship! I'm so thrilled, I thought I'd be waiting much longer to hear back.

Reactions: 2 users
Received a merit scholarship! So happy!

received a merit scholarship! does anybody know the rough ranges of merit aid here?

this might be a dumb question, but i received a medical school grant from northwestern in my aid offer, does a grant needed to be repaid? or is it similar to a scholarship?
In case anyone else was wondering, I emailed the financial aid office, and grants do not need to be repaid, they are effectively scholarships.

does anybody know if the medical school grants are awarded each academic year?

Did anyone accepted in Feb get a merit scholly? I got my need-based grant, but wondering if all merit $ has been given out (and if not having a scholarship offer at this time means i didn't get one)

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone accepted in Feb get a merit scholly? I got my need-based grant, but wondering if all merit $ has been given out (and if not having a scholarship offer at this time means i didn't get one)
I was accepted in early March and also did not hear about a scholarship. I emailed admissions to ask earlier today—I'll post if I hear back.

This is just me guessing, but I'm sure as people withdraw, that merit/need-based money that people got will be redistributed.

I got a reply:

"Thank you for your e-mail. Merit-based scholarship award determinations are based on the overall merit of the applicant and there is no separate application for these awards. An accepted student may send a scholarship request e-mail to our main e-mail address: [email protected] and it will be forwarded to our Dean for Admissions for consideration.

The committee appreciates any additional information that you can provide in regards to financial aid packages, such as details about another school’s award offer (i.e. award notice or letter) and/or cost of tuition/attendance considerations which are factoring into your decision on where to matriculate, as this will be helpful to our committee when making award determinations.

There is no set date when scholarship or grant awards will be sent, though we have begun sending award notification e-mails (they started going out late March). Please monitor both your regular e-mail account and the new Northwestern account which you should have recently set up, for scholarship & other financial aid communications."

I was accepted in Feb and got a merit scholarship

Just withdrew, good luck everyone—hope you get that COIN

Yeah my friend at Feinberg got one last year and they are annual
So whatever dollar amount is listed under "Medical School Grant" will be awarded each year? Sorry if this is a dumb question, just want to make sure they aren't splitting that dollar amount over the course of 4 years...

So whatever dollar amount is listed under "Medical School Grant" will be awarded each year? Sorry if this is a dumb question, just want to make sure they aren't splitting that dollar amount over the course of 4 years...

My understanding is there are three types of aid you can get: federal loans, need-based grants and merit-based scholarships. The scholarship is for all four years. The grant is based on your calculated need. Because that need can vary across your four years and since we apply for financial aid every year, your medical school grant may change as well. Hopefully that makes sense?

Edit: the grant amount that you see in your award letter is for one year.

Correct - this will stay the same all 4 years.

Correct - this will stay the same all 4 years.

Is this what the FA office told you? My award letter reads: “You must reapply for financial aid annually. Some forms of financial aid are awarded based on a student’s financial need [including the Medical School Grant, from what I gather from the FA website] and so increases to a student’s income and assets could affect future eligibility”.

My understanding is the grant doesn’t need to be paid back, but the amount can vary across years depending on need...?

Wow MSAR reports that feinberg usually grants 10 acceptances to applicants on the waitlist. That is so tiny?!
cuz they accept a bunch more than the class size off the bat. also you can't really go by MSAR, not reliable

Is this what the FA office told you? My award letter reads: “You must reapply for financial aid annually. Some forms of financial aid are awarded based on a student’s financial need [including the Medical School Grant, from what I gather from the FA website] and so increases to a student’s income and assets could affect future eligibility”.

My understanding is the grant doesn’t need to be paid back, but the amount can vary across years depending on need...?
Yeah the grant definitely doesn't need to be paid back. I'd imagine the grant would stay the same all four years since med students typically just get poorer during medical school haha. Maybe the only factor that affects it is if one of your parents has a significant increase in assets/income. I'm gonna email the FA office on Monday to confirm this though.

There's 316 members, but a few of them are current medical students
I’ve looked at a couple schools and compared the fb group number to the post acceptance data floating around on sdn. Either like half of the accepted students aren’t on fb or there’s a lot of waitlist movement. The schools I’ve looked at have fb members that are less than half of what it says the accepted amount should be on the google doc.

Anyone attending the diversity symposium on Zoom today?

Reactions: 3 users
I’ve looked at a couple schools and compared the fb group number to the post acceptance data floating around on sdn. Either like half of the accepted students aren’t on fb or there’s a lot of waitlist movement. The schools I’ve looked at have fb members that are less than half of what it says the accepted amount should be on the google doc.

I’ve looked as well and agree. I really hope it’s the latter