2012-2013 Rush Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad

I really don't recall there being any kind of a systematic time interval or anything. I think most communication happened on Fridays, but that doesn't mean every Friday, and it doesn't mean only Fridays. It also has a way of coming through at like butt:thirty-what A.M.

Sorry I can't be of more help, guys.
 
how long did it take you guys for them to process your paperwork?

I mailed my forms and stuff in on October 1st. They received it on the 4th. I checked my status but it still says not received, not received, unpaid. And my letters aren't updated, and I uploaded them on the 8th.

Just wondering what the approximate timeline is for this.
 
I really don't recall there being any kind of a systematic time interval or anything. I think most communication happened on Fridays, but that doesn't mean every Friday, and it doesn't mean only Fridays. It also has a way of coming through at like butt:thirty-what A.M.

Sorry I can't be of more help, guys.

Yeah, I decided to look back in this thread and the II's came on different days of the week (a few on early Saturday mornings). The surprising thing is that Rush hasn't given out that many II's to people on SDN, hopefully they still have lots of invites to send out!! :xf:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can any of the current students here who know people involved with the admissions office please try and find out how often Rush sends out II's (i.e. once a month, once a week, etc..), and if possible, when the next batch of invites might be going out?
 
Can any of the current students here who know people involved with the admissions office please try and find out how often Rush sends out II's (i.e. once a month, once a week, etc..), and if possible, when the next batch of invites might be going out?

The only thing I know is that they periodically read through these boards, and whoever seems to be impatient, they move that person's app to the bottom of the pile.


haha, jk man (or woman), I remember checking my e-mails 25x/day during app season, too. i totally understand your impatience and frustration. it's just a sucky part of it. my only real advice is to focus on what's around you: if you're at school, focus on school; if you're at work, focus on your job. Enjoy your evenings, call your friends, draw, play games, watch movies, go bowling, learn a language, go to museums, take a nap, clean your desk, throw a bunch of crap out that you never use anymore. that is the best thing you can be doing right now. every time you start to panic about med schools (which we all did during that time), just go for a walk or a jog or cook or practice trombone or take some cool pictures or watch some TED talks or visit a state park or write out what's on your mind.

Do every single one of those things I listed.

By then, you will have heard from Rush.*

*No guarantees, but hey, at least you will have done a bunch of cool stuff.
 
The only thing I know is that they periodically read through these boards, and whoever seems to be impatient, they move that person's app to the bottom of the pile.


haha, jk man (or woman), I remember checking my e-mails 25x/day during app season, too. i totally understand your impatience and frustration. it's just a sucky part of it. my only real advice is to focus on what's around you: if you're at school, focus on school; if you're at work, focus on your job. Enjoy your evenings, call your friends, draw, play games, watch movies, go bowling, learn a language, go to museums, take a nap, clean your desk, throw a bunch of crap out that you never use anymore. that is the best thing you can be doing right now. every time you start to panic about med schools (which we all did during that time), just go for a walk or a jog or cook or practice trombone or take some cool pictures or watch some TED talks or visit a state park or write out what's on your mind.

Do every single one of those things I listed.

By then, you will have heard from Rush.*

*No guarantees, but hey, at least you will have done a bunch of cool stuff.

This. Have to say, I've started to force myself to do things that take me away from my email, and it's been a definite positive. That said, I guess I'm still on SDN 😛
 
The only thing I know is that they periodically read through these boards, and whoever seems to be impatient, they move that person's app to the bottom of the pile.


haha, jk man (or woman), I remember checking my e-mails 25x/day during app season, too. i totally understand your impatience and frustration. it's just a sucky part of it. my only real advice is to focus on what's around you: if you're at school, focus on school; if you're at work, focus on your job. Enjoy your evenings, call your friends, draw, play games, watch movies, go bowling, learn a language, go to museums, take a nap, clean your desk, throw a bunch of crap out that you never use anymore. that is the best thing you can be doing right now. every time you start to panic about med schools (which we all did during that time), just go for a walk or a jog or cook or practice trombone or take some cool pictures or watch some TED talks or visit a state park or write out what's on your mind.

Do every single one of those things I listed.

By then, you will have heard from Rush.*

*No guarantees, but hey, at least you will have done a bunch of cool stuff.

This. Have to say, I've started to force myself to do things that take me away from my email, and it's been a definite positive. That said, I guess I'm still on SDN 😛

You guys are definitely right, but it's just soooo hard not worry about something that you've spent the last 4 years working for, and what will also determine your future career path.
 
I was told not to get my hopes up here. They interview about 370 of the 7000 apps they get. They know they will fill their class and they move very methodically and slowly through the application process. My friend told me that they let things happen around them and then get going a bit later in the process. Not sure if this is correct or not but he seems to have a pretty good idea as he is a M3 there now.
 
Last edited:
Hmm guys, I submitted my secondary on 10/2 and sent my signature/passport/check about 2 days later. They say that they've received everything, but my application still says it's incomplete and there isn't anything showing up in my letter of recommendation section. Are they just backed up? Or is this a sign of something else?
 
I'm in the same situation! When you say it shows received, does it say 'yes/paid' or are you just going by when they received your forms through the mail?


Hmm guys, I submitted my secondary on 10/2 and sent my signature/passport/check about 2 days later. They say that they've received everything, but my application still says it's incomplete and there isn't anything showing up in my letter of recommendation section. Are they just backed up? Or is this a sign of something else?
 
How's it work for pssport and stuff? I forgot to submit my secondary and I just did it on Friday and they want my passport and whatnot?? Mine is expired!! What can I do about this?
 
You guys are definitely right, but it's just soooo hard not worry about something that you've spent the last 4 years working for, and what will also determine your future career path.

() () () here's a few chill pills. I'd suggest seeing your general practitioner for a years prescription.
 
How's it work for pssport and stuff? I forgot to submit my secondary and I just did it on Friday and they want my passport and whatnot?? Mine is expired!! What can I do about this?

They just want a "passport like" photo. If you have a professional looking 2inx2in photo that you can print in color, you're fine. 👍
 
They just want a "passport like" photo. If you have a professional looking 2inx2in photo that you can print in color, you're fine. 👍

If you have AAA they do free passport photos.


Also- I am not ignoring the admissions related questions, I just do not have an answer for you.

Jchap has solid advice for those of you waiting.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got an II via email at 1:58 am (10/17)- I thought I was dreaming at first! Best 2 am email ever!

File Complete: 8/29 - I figured I had been passed over, so definitely don't lose hope if you were complete in August! Yay!

Stats: 31S, cGPA: 3.65; non-trad: 1 year of research post-college, TFA, 3 years of teaching in inner-city total.

Does anyone know what the earliest interview dates are now? I can't access the site ATM.

Good luck to everyone else still waiting.
 
Last edited:
Does anyone know what time the interview day ends. Trying to figure out when my flight time should be!

Thanks
 
Congrats guys! Mind sharing stats, and maybe even the exact date you were complete?

I'm starting to get real discouraged about getting an II from Rush. 🙁

Complete 8/17. OOS, 3.65/33R. Seems like they really take their time getting through the applications, so don't be discouraged. It took 2 months of silence before my II came!
 
Complete 8/17. OOS, 3.65/33R. Seems like they really take their time getting through the applications, so don't be discouraged. It took 2 months of silence before my II came!

I was complete 8/8 so I feel like they must've passed over mine and been like, "nah, we don't want him."

But congrats again on your invite, must be real exciting!
 
Hmm guys, I submitted my secondary on 10/2 and sent my signature/passport/check about 2 days later. They say that they've received everything, but my application still says it's incomplete and there isn't anything showing up in my letter of recommendation section. Are they just backed up? Or is this a sign of something else?

I'm in the same situation! When you say it shows received, does it say 'yes/paid' or are you just going by when they received your forms through the mail?

My application says the same thing, yes/yes/paid, but still not complete. Any of you with II's remember if it just takes time for review?
 
My application says the same thing, yes/yes/paid, but still not complete. Any of you with II's remember if it just takes time for review?

I think they might just be a little slow? I was complete Aug 17th, got an invite Oct 3rd, and was offered dates for Oct 10, Oct 17, and Oct 31.
 
My application says the same thing, yes/yes/paid, but still not complete. Any of you with II's remember if it just takes time for review?

I have the same problem. I emailed them and they basically told me that they don't check for LOR's until after the application is otherwise complete. Well I submitted everything else Sept. 26th.
I'm sure this doesn't help much... Didn't help me much either.
 
I have the same problem. I emailed them and they basically told me that they don't check for LOR's until after the application is otherwise complete. Well I submitted everything else Sept. 26th.
I'm sure this doesn't help much... Didn't help me much either.
Same here. I submitted my secondary on September 18 and mailed out the signature page two days later but they only marked that as received a week ago and my file is still not complete. This wait is painful...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's been said before, and it is true, that Rush takes their sweet time.

I was complete about this time if I remember correctly, and got a II in December. They absolutely accept throughout their entire interview season! They do not give interviews for just WL spots, and a bunch of my classmates got in off the wait list.

Please try to enjoy your last year before medical school starts and you start smelling funny from gross anatomy and your non-med school friends don't want to hang out anymore.

Joking about that last part.
 
Congrats to all the people getting II's!
I've been complete since August. Should I call and ask them if they've passed up on my application?
Dissapointed because this is my Number ONE choice..
 
Complete 8/17. OOS, 3.65/33R. Seems like they really take their time getting through the applications, so don't be discouraged. It took 2 months of silence before my II came!

Nice! Rush is awesome. Still waiting for letters to be marked as received, it's been a while since everything else was paid/received (10/4/12).
 
Congrats to all the people getting II's!
I've been complete since August. Should I call and ask them if they've passed up on my application?
Dissapointed because this is my Number ONE choice..

I don't believe you can call the admissions office, I think you have to email them.
 
Interview Invite yesterday!

Complete: 8/21
Interview: 11/14
But there are openings as early as 10/31

OOS, 29S, 3.6 cpa and sgpa

I think what helped is that I've done a lot of community service, probably ~500 actual clinical volunteer hours, ~250 ish in planning and coordinating events, and I know Rush is big about community service.
 
From a quick browse it seems like most of the II so far have been OOS? Am I just making this up? I'm IS, completed 8/17, 3.65, 31, and nontrad. I still haven't heard back from them, and this is one of my top choices as well.
 
From a quick browse it seems like most of the II so far have been OOS? Am I just making this up? I'm IS, completed 8/17, 3.65, 31, and nontrad. I still haven't heard back from them, and this is one of my top choices as well.

When I was there, the composition of the group was about 50/50. Rush doesn't have an in-state bias, though, since they're private. For what it's worth, I'm IS, and I know someone with an II who's also IS. They haven't filled too many dates yet, I don't think, so don't worry quite yet. Rush was great, it's going to be a long wait to hear back :xf:
 
When I was there, the composition of the group was about 50/50. Rush doesn't have an in-state bias, though, since they're private. For what it's worth, I'm IS, and I know someone with an II who's also IS. They haven't filled too many dates yet, I don't think, so don't worry quite yet. Rush was great, it's going to be a long wait to hear back :xf:

Just curious--did they tell you a time frame on decisions?

I am glad to hear you thought my school was great. I think so too. 🙂

Congrats to those with II!

Feel free to PM any questions and another plug for student hosting.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using SDN Mobile
 
When I was there, the composition of the group was about 50/50. Rush doesn't have an in-state bias, though, since they're private. For what it's worth, I'm IS, and I know someone with an II who's also IS. They haven't filled too many dates yet, I don't think, so don't worry quite yet. Rush was great, it's going to be a long wait to hear back :xf:

Hey Reek. Congrats on your interview at Rush. Just wondering about your stats buddy. I'm IS too and was complete on 8/9. If you can post your stats, it would be really awesome. Thanks! 🙂

And also ... Since you interviewed before me at UIC, I was also wondering what does your status say right now? I just checked mine, and it says "Decision Pending". So I am actually really worried now thinking that it might mean I am wait-listed there. Your reply will be really really helpful. Thanks! 🙂
 
Last edited:
Just curious--did they tell you a time frame on decisions?

I am glad to hear you thought my school was great. I think so too. 🙂

Congrats to those with II!

Feel free to PM any questions and another plug for student hosting.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using SDN Mobile

Yeah, I know "great" is an easy way to describe something, but I really do mean it. The new hospital is amazing, the rest of the facilities are nice, there's tons of opportunities to get involved in service, the students are happy, and the class size is small - I've been all over, and this is one of only two schools where I got that "fit" feeling. I was told I'd normally hear back in four weeks, but that the office of admissions is a little short-staffed, so I shouldn't worry if it's another week or two. It's going to be a long wait; I really don't know how to feel about one of my interviews, so I'm pretty terrified right now. :scared:

Hey Reek. Congrats on your interview at Rush. Just wondering about your stats buddy. I'm IS too and was complete on 8/9. If you can post your stats, it would be really awesome. Thanks! 🙂

And also ... Since you interviewed before me at UIC, I was also wondering what does your status say right now? I just checked mine, and it says "Decision Pending". So I am actually really worried now thinking that it might mean I am wait-listed there. Your reply will be really really helpful. Thanks! 🙂

>34 >3.8. I was complete around the same time as you and got the II two weeks ago. Regarding the UIC bit, I answered in the relevant thread.
 
Yeah, I know "great" is an easy way to describe something, but I really do mean it. The new hospital is amazing, the rest of the facilities are nice, there's tons of opportunities to get involved in service, the students are happy, and the class size is small - I've been all over, and this is one of only two schools where I got that "fit" feeling. I was told I'd normally hear back in four weeks, but that the office of admissions is a little short-staffed, so I shouldn't worry if it's another week or two. It's going to be a long wait; I really don't know how to feel about one of my interviews, so I'm pretty terrified right now. :scared:



>34 >3.8. I was complete around the same time as you and got the II two weeks ago. Regarding the UIC bit, I answered in the relevant thread.

Honestly, I thought I was going to get a rejection and was like crazyyyy heartbroken the two weeks it took for me to hear back. (I was later in the season last year). I really thought my second interviewer was not a fan of mine... but I was outright accepted (no WL). So try not to worry--it may just be that the interviewer was harder to read.

And for those still waiting, Rush takes a holistic approach to evaluating apps. Numbers are not as important as other things. They like a well-rounded MCAT but don't have a minimum in mind. They look for the "fit" 🙂
 
Does anyone know if Rush is receptive to update letters or emails? I have recently obtained a job as a scribe and would like to inform them
 
Honestly, I thought I was going to get a rejection and was like crazyyyy heartbroken the two weeks it took for me to hear back. (I was later in the season last year). I really thought my second interviewer was not a fan of mine... but I was outright accepted (no WL). So try not to worry--it may just be that the interviewer was harder to read.

And for those still waiting, Rush takes a holistic approach to evaluating apps. Numbers are not as important as other things. They like a well-rounded MCAT but don't have a minimum in mind. They look for the "fit" 🙂

Thanks for the reassurance. I really hope it works out the same for me; I just got a few tough questions and I'm not sure if I handled them as well as I could have. I've found that it's much harder to remember the good parts of interviews than it is the bad parts. :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if Rush reviews and sends II's in order of completion? I was complete 8/17 so I'm worried I might have been passed up.
 
Does anyone know if Rush reviews and sends II's in order of completion? I was complete 8/17 so I'm worried I might have been passed up.

I know of at least one person who went complete in August and didn't receive an invite until the next calendar year.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.