2012-2013 Rush Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i went to an admissions presentation for rush through my post bacc program where they briefly explained the process. They do not review applications by completion date. And they screen only for total mcat score. Basically all completed applications are sorted through by some criteria they decide (different each time they sort) and they read all applications that fit that said criteria. If they like you, they bring you in. So basically have an early completion date just means that you are in the pot longer, and thus you have a greater chance to be selected based on a given criteria.

This is what I understood from the presentations...obviously I could be wrong or maybe they changed things, but for people out there worried about being complete early and looked over....i don't think thats how it works.
 
Enjoyed my interview day here. It was one of the more packed interview days I've been to so far. Excuse me--they really Rushed us around all day. I enjoyed that there were separate clinical and pre-clinical tours.

Everyone is REALLY friendly. I expected that, but was not quite prepared for the magnitude of it. I felt like I was a new kid at summer camp! I would probably be a bit of a Scrooge if I ended up going here. Interviews were very relaxed and fun, and the facilities are really gorgeous. First school I've visited without a ping pong table, unfortunately. Despite this, it seems like a great school overall.
 
Recieved an II yesterday! I completed my application in early August. I'm looking forward to visiting the campus! Good luck everyone!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Recieved an II yesterday! I completed my application in early August. I'm looking forward to visiting the campus! Good luck everyone!

Congrats! Things like this are making me TOO hopeful, considering the odds are now definitely against me. Fingers are remaining crossed anyways!
 
Congrats! Things like this are making me TOO hopeful, considering the odds are now definitely against me. Fingers are remaining crossed anyways!

I dont think WE are being too hopeful (I think I'm in the same situation as you are). My friend who was accepted to rush and UIC last year told me that these schools are both SUPER slow. She interviewed in February last year and was complete really early as well. So...:xf::xf::xf:
 
I dont think WE are being too hopeful (I think I'm in the same situation as you are). My friend who was accepted to rush and UIC last year told me that these schools are both SUPER slow. She interviewed in February last year and was complete really early as well. So...:xf::xf::xf:

Gah, hoping this ends up being the case for me.
 
Still nothing from this school.
I really don't think the admissions office can find 130 applicants who want to go to Rush more than me. It's really a shame that their secondary didn't have a "Why Rush?" question.
 
for anyone who knows this information...i interviewed at rush recently and I remember Jill telling us which email address to use for thank you letters, but I was nervous about my interview and can't remember what she said about this?

is the RMC_interview address or the regular admissions address??

thanks in advance for any help!
 
The only thing I know is that they periodically read through these boards, and whoever seems to be impatient, they move that person's app to the bottom of the pile.


haha, jk man (or woman), I remember checking my e-mails 25x/day during app season, too. i totally understand your impatience and frustration. it's just a sucky part of it. my only real advice is to focus on what's around you: if you're at school, focus on school; if you're at work, focus on your job. Enjoy your evenings, call your friends, draw, play games, watch movies, go bowling, learn a language, go to museums, take a nap, clean your desk, throw a bunch of crap out that you never use anymore. that is the best thing you can be doing right now. every time you start to panic about med schools (which we all did during that time), just go for a walk or a jog or cook or practice trombone or take some cool pictures or watch some TED talks or visit a state park or write out what's on your mind.

Do every single one of those things I listed.

By then, you will have heard from Rush.*

*No guarantees, but hey, at least you will have done a bunch of cool stuff.

I like U, U r very cool.
 
😕😕YOU CAN HAS ANY QWESHTUNS FOR M1S? 😕😕

Hey y'all-

Some friends and I have started a collaborative video blog about our life here at Rush. It's called "RUWatching," and we'll have the first episode online soon! One of the main purposes of the blog is to provide direct information/answers to prospective students like yourselves, in video form.

Ask us a question (not really about admissions, but more about life in medical school), and then we'll share your question with our classmates and include their answers in the next episode. Does that make sense?

Let us know what you're wondering about!

luv,
jchap
(and RUWatching)

p.s. I'll probably end up posting this in a different forum/thread, but I wanted it to start right here, with our beloved Rush applicants...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
not being able to compulsively check a status page is taking a toll...its as if I sent my application into a black hole :-(
 
complete end of September and still no word. Anyone else still waiting complete this far back? Silent rejection??

I've been complete since early september. I think Rush, in a way, reviews every application every adcom meeting so it would be normal to see those complete after you receive II's.
 
I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, I'm new to SDN, but is Rush receptive to pre-interview LOI? I'm IS and have been complete since mid-August.
 
I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, I'm new to SDN, but is Rush receptive to pre-interview LOI? I'm IS and have been complete since mid-August.

Not receptive.

To the best of my knowledge Rush does not do silent rejections. Thw first wave went out in December last year.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using SDN Mobile
 
Has anyone else that interviewed September 10th heard anything yet? I realize that I am just being completely neurotic, but they said 4 weeks for a decision, and its been over 5 weeks of silence! You're killin me Rush.
 
Has anyone else that interviewed September 10th heard anything yet? I realize that I am just being completely neurotic, but they said 4 weeks for a decision, and its been over 5 weeks of silence! You're killin me Rush.

Presuming you mean October, I was there. They said 4-6 weeks, and that it might be longer since they're short-staffed.
 
Has anyone else that interviewed September 10th heard anything yet? I realize that I am just being completely neurotic, but they said 4 weeks for a decision, and its been over 5 weeks of silence! You're killin me Rush.

I was there Oct 31st and they told 4-6 weeks as well. They also said that if you haven't gotten anything after 5 weeks, you can email admissions and see what they're doing with your application (like if you've gone to committee or not). I figured I would give them the full six weeks before asking, but since that will fall right around Thanksgiving, maybe you should wait until the week after.
 
Starting to lose hope... 🙁

Don't!! I hear this school takes a riiiidddddiiiiiiiccccuuuuullllllooooooouuuusssssllllllyyyyyyyyyy looooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnggggg tiiiiiime.

Enjoy your holiday week! I sure won't be holding my breath for an email from anyone this week! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got in!!! Incredibly excited and so relieved! I love Rush!! Interviewed 10/10 just got the email tonight at 5:15pm. Thought sdn deserved to know because I've been checking this page obsessively for the past 5 weeks. Hang in there everyone and good luck to you all.
 
I got in!!! Incredibly excited and so relieved! I love Rush!! Interviewed 10/10 just got the email tonight at 5:15pm. Thought sdn deserved to know because I've been checking this page obsessively for the past 5 weeks. Hang in there everyone and good luck to you all.

Central time? I haven't gotten anything and was there then... 🙁
 
Acceptance letter came in today!!! Definitely choosing Rush! Can't wait to see you guys in the fall 🙂 Interviewed 10/31 btw.
 
Acceptance letter came in today!!! Definitely choosing Rush! Can't wait to see you guys in the fall 🙂 Interviewed 10/31 btw.

Ahhhh congrats!!

Do you live in Chicago? Trying to figure out if I should hope for a decision in the next couple of days since I interviewed the same day!


Also only one email acceptance? Is everyone supposed to get a letter?
 
Ahhhh congrats!!

Do you live in Chicago? Trying to figure out if I should hope for a decision in the next couple of days since I interviewed the same day!


Also only one email acceptance? Is everyone supposed to get a letter?

Last year we got both email and snail mail.
 
Ahhhh congrats!!

Do you live in Chicago? Trying to figure out if I should hope for a decision in the next couple of days since I interviewed the same day!


Also only one email acceptance? Is everyone supposed to get a letter?

I got an email, the letter was in PDF form lol sorry I should have specified. They did write saying to expect an actual letter in about a week. Though it will likely be longer for me since I'm home for the holidays. Out of 4 interview days it doesn't seem as though many got the email yesterday... I wouldn't be surprised if more people found out today or sometime next week.
 
i interviewed 10/31 and didn't receive anything...ah i LoVE rush!

This could just mean your interviewer took more time in returning the evaluation or they didnt have time in comittee to discuss you. So don't worry! and with the holiday it might take longer so dont read anything into it.
 
I interviewed October 10 and just got accepted on Tuesday!!! Now I just have to decide between Jefferson and Rush....any advice or reasons to choose Rush? (I'm 40 min from Philly so being close is both a pro and a con for me)
 
Now I just have to decide between Jefferson and Rush....any advice or reasons to choose Rush?

Deciding between medical schools can be an incredibly difficult decision. When selecting between medical schools, I found it most helpful to apply the following 3-step system to each school I was considering:

1. Is the school Rush?

2. If NO, then consider other options.

3. If YES, then go to the school and be amazing.


Hope that helps!! Happy Thanksgiving.
 
I interviewed October 10 and just got accepted on Tuesday!!! Now I just have to decide between Jefferson and Rush....any advice or reasons to choose Rush? (I'm 40 min from Philly so being close is both a pro and a con for me)

1) Community service and clinical volunteering opportunities. If you have ideas for service activities, Sharon Gates will help you make it happen.

2) The opportunity to rotate through Cook County Stroger. This lets you experience medicine in the public setting along with the private setting at Rush. You also get to be more hands-on at County.

Those are probably among the more distinguishing reasons to choose Rush. Feel free to ask about specific aspects (student satisfaction, quality of teaching/faculty, facilities, etc.) if you'd like. Hope that helps!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey I had a really random/neurotic question that I'm slightly embarrassed to ask but oh we'll... Does anyone check their rushsupp status page and notices the date changes daily? Is that N automated system type of thing or are they constantly reviewing or passing over your application? Does it even matter I guess is a better question hha... I'm pretty obsessed with this school and am trying to dissect everything to try and get a positive feeling that an interview invite is hopefully hopefully soon...
 
Hey I had a really random/neurotic question that I'm slightly embarrassed to ask but oh we'll... Does anyone check their rushsupp status page and notices the date changes daily? Is that N automated system type of thing or are they constantly reviewing or passing over your application? Does it even matter I guess is a better question hha... I'm pretty obsessed with this school and am trying to dissect everything to try and get a positive feeling that an interview invite is hopefully hopefully soon...

very observant...I have noticed that during the thanksgiving break it didn't change for 5 days, and today it suddenly changed. So im confident that it does mean they are looking and updating your application.
 
very observant...I have noticed that during the thanksgiving break it didn't change for 5 days, and today it suddenly changed. So im confident that it does mean they are looking and updating your application.

Mine says:

This page last updated on:
11/26/2012

Does that mean they passed me over this week?
 
Can you post when you receive the acceptance packet in the mail? Just anxious to see if there is any additional information in there.
 
Mine says:

This page last updated on:
11/26/2012

Does that mean they passed me over this week?

Ha, no. It means it was Thanksgiving break and no one was in the office since Wednesday. I like the wishful thinking though.

It updates every day w/ the previous business day, I believe.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.