2012-2013 Rush Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Email at 3am this morning...

Complete

angry_face-200x150.jpg
 
is October still pretty early in the application cycle? this applies to Rush as well. I am a second time applicant and by this time last year had gotten all no's--so silence isn't so bad right now but I was just curious if more students are interviewed during Dec/Jan than Oct.
 
What time does the interview day start? I have one coming up and i can't find this information anywhere :laugh: It only says where to meet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
for anybody who has gotten an interview at rush...when you go to select a date, after you select and confirm your selection does the page load w/ a weird message saying interview date not available??

ah i am so excited, first interview...i sent them an email about it, so hopefully they get back to me!
 
Whats the consensus on how receptive Rush is to in the area e-mails? Has anybody had any luck with them? Thanks
 
A few questions,
1) Does anybody know approximately how many II's Rush has given out so far? (I'm just trying to see how many are left)
2) How often does the committee meet to decide about giving out II's? When is next batch coming out?
3) What month does Rush stop sending out II's?

ANY insight would help. I know it sounds neurotic, but I am getting extremely antsy waiting for an invite from Rush (been complete since 8/8).
 
A few questions,
1) Does anybody know approximately how many II's Rush has given out so far? (I'm just trying to see how many are left)
2) How often does the committee meet to decide about giving out II's? When is next batch coming out?
3) What month does Rush stop sending out II's?


My answer to all 3 questions is calm down.

😳

What would you do differently if you knew any of these answers?

Posting stuff like this is guaranteed to make you feel worse. No matter what answer we tell you, your follow-up thought will be, "But what about MY invite? Where's mine? When will I hear from Rush?" And nobody knows the answer to that...

So just relax, man. We all know you're worried and antsy. Everyone is. Part of being a great doctor is knowing how to deal with uncertainty. You have to be comfortable not knowing answers and outcomes.

Now's a perfect time to start working on those skills.

I hope I haven't offended you.

And Good Luck!!
 
A few questions,
1) Does anybody know approximately how many II's Rush has given out so far? (I'm just trying to see how many are left)
2) How often does the committee meet to decide about giving out II's? When is next batch coming out?
3) What month does Rush stop sending out II's?


My answer to all 3 questions is calm down.

😳

What would you do differently if you knew any of these answers?

Posting stuff like this is guaranteed to make you feel worse. No matter what answer we tell you, your follow-up thought will be, "But what about MY invite? Where's mine? When will I hear from Rush?" And nobody knows the answer to that...

So just relax, man. We all know you're worried and antsy. Everyone is. Part of being a great doctor is knowing how to deal with uncertainty. You have to be comfortable not knowing answers and outcomes.

Now's a perfect time to start working on those skills.

I hope I haven't offended you.

And Good Luck!!

You haven't offended me, don't worry. I hope I don't offend you with the following; 😉

See, I would post on the panic threads and such and I would hate when current medical students would tell me to "calm down." After I got my first acceptance I swore that I wouldn't become that person, and I have tried to avoid telling other people anxious to hear back to "calm down" or "relax," because I understand how it feels.

The truth is that I want an interview at Rush very badly (perhaps more than most schools on my list), and I won't calm down until I get one. It's my future and I care about it. I'm not expecting you to answer, "where's my invite?" I'm expecting you to answer the questions I asked. By the way, without going into details, knowing the answers to some of my questions above might actually have an effect on what I "would do differently," but again, I don't want to go into that further.

The bottom line is, I appreciate your response, but I come to SDN for many reasons. One reason is to get information that I wish to know, and if I feel that I want to know the answer to these questions, then I want to know the answer to these questions. Just like you think there is nothing for me to gain if you answer them, so too I feel like there is nothing to be gained from you telling me to relax.

Finally, I will say that I don't know why I've typed such a long response (truth is I'm pretty bored right now), but I'm really not that worried and my posts on SDN don't accurately reflect my stress level in real life. Again, thanks for the advice but I really don't think I need to "work on those skills."
 
Last edited:
Hey Irish- completely understand your perspective! being told to calm down and relax is actually enough to make most people truly irritated - it feels condescending - and in this case, you were just asking for information, not reassurance. If people were able to relax, there would be no sdn threads devoted for 20 pages as to whether or not to wear grey or black pencil skirts to an interview! This entire process renders even regular people neurotic and anxious - and you are not alone! Seems like if people don't want to answer the questions posed, they should simply not answer them. You have always been supportive of your fellow applicants and you deserve the same. I have also been accepted somewhere but would love a Rush invite... Columbia and NYU too, for that matter!!
perhaps next week??
 
Hey Irish- completely understand your perspective! being told to calm down and relax is actually enough to make most people truly irritated - it feels condescending - and in this case, you were just asking for information, not reassurance. If people were able to relax, there would be no sdn threads devoted for 20 pages as to whether or not to wear grey or black pencil skirts to an interview! This entire process renders even regular people neurotic and anxious - and you are not alone! Seems like if people don't want to answer the questions posed, they should simply not answer them. You have always been supportive of your fellow applicants and you deserve the same. I have also been accepted somewhere but would love a Rush invite... Columbia and NYU too, for that matter!!
perhaps next week??

Thanks so much for the post! I completely agree with everything you said. I agree it does feel slightly "condescending," and if people don't want to answer the questions, then they shouldn't answer them.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i understand what both of you are saying--my telling you to calm down only adds fuel to your frustration.

I also really do know what it feels like--I was in this exact same boat a year ago, twiddling my thumbs and waiting for invites. That's why i felt qualified being a bit paternalistic and telling you to calm down, even though that's not what you were looking for. I was not writing as a crotchety old man who wants everyone to shut up. I was writing as a compadre, a fellow sufferer, who was so glad last year when I finally let down my guard, listened to what all those paternalistic med students were telling me, and calmed down.

I know it's annoying as balls to be told that! But the fact is, I couldn't answer your specific questions about how many invite are left and when the committee meets. So, I tried helping in another way.

But my message did not get through properly. Oh, well.

good luck still.
 
I also definitely echo your sentiments, Irish. If I got an acceptance at Rush, I'd pretty much drop all my other applications. I'm trying to just have (irrational) faith that they will invite me at some point, even though obviously the chances are better that they won't. Too bad I'd come off as a desperate crazyperson if I told them just how much I love the school and begged for an interview 🙄. In any case, hopefully both of our invites are coming soon!
 
I unfortunately do not have answers to your questions.

Interview season ends in March I believe. Thats sadly all I know.

Perhaps a recent interviewee has.more info.

I am rooting for you all and wish you the best of luck.
 
Been complete since early August now and haven't heard anything. Someone at one of my other interviews mentioned that Rush really likes Chicago kids and well... i'm from NYC... didn't know they would be that limited with their II's....
 
Been complete since early August now and haven't heard anything. Someone at one of my other interviews mentioned that Rush really likes Chicago kids and well... i'm from NYC... didn't know they would be that limited with their II's....

I'm not sure I'd assume it's that. I'm from Chicago, also complete early August, also haven't heard anything.
 
can anyone shed light on what the interview's like? just scheduled for late december, but want to be prepared! this'll be my first interview!!
 
A few questions,
1) Does anybody know approximately how many II's Rush has given out so far? (I'm just trying to see how many are left)
2) How often does the committee meet to decide about giving out II's? When is next batch coming out?
3) What month does Rush stop sending out II's?

ANY insight would help. I know it sounds neurotic, but I am getting extremely antsy waiting for an invite from Rush (been complete since 8/8).

I would expect the last wave of invites to go out in late January, assuming the interview season ends in late February.

Best of luck to you, and to everyone still waiting!
 
Current M1, thought I'd add some info that you might find useful.

App Complete: Late October, 2011
Interview Invite: Early January, 2012
Interview: Late January, 2012
Decision (Accepted): Mid February, 2012

Low GPA, Low MCAT, but had unique EC's post-college. Rush is definitely not a stats-only school. Best of luck everyone!
 
Last edited:
Been complete since early August now and haven't heard anything. Someone at one of my other interviews mentioned that Rush really likes Chicago kids and well... i'm from NYC... didn't know they would be that limited with their II's....

I don't think there's an explicit preference for local folks--it may seem that way because classes tend to be a plurality from the area, but I think that's more due to Rush being less well known the further you get from Chicago and a lot of the local people tend to prefer staying local. There's certainly a strong Cali contingent, for example (although that's not unusual wherever you look). In my class, there's definitely representation from the East Coast.
 
can anyone shed light on what the interview's like? just scheduled for late december, but want to be prepared! this'll be my first interview!!

Congrats on your interview! You'll have two interviewers, one of whom may be a student (but not necessarily). One is an open-file interview, where the interviewer has access to your AMCAS and secondary apps. The other is closed, where they only have access to your secondary. The style can vary, but for the most part they just want to get to know you as a person. Tips: know your app, know yourself, and relax! Be yourself. Good luck!
 
i was complete on 8/20/12, was really surprised to get an invite as this is my first interview this cycle. if you are still waiting to hear back, just be patient, persistence will pay off at the end.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II at about 2am. I was complete 8/17

Just wondering how many slots were available to choose for interviews? I would die to go to Rush and am worried because already December is full... Realistically should I be thinking that I should give up hope? I was complete 8/19, 33q, 3.5 gpa, have community service from back in college and then intensively the past year or so (7 hrs a week at a free clinic).... any thoughts would really be appreciated, becuase every week that goes by my heart sinks even lower...
 
Just wondering how many slots were available to choose for interviews? I would die to go to Rush and am worried because already December is full... Realistically should I be thinking that I should give up hope? I was complete 8/19, 33q, 3.5 gpa, have community service from back in college and then intensively the past year or so (7 hrs a week at a free clinic).... any thoughts would really be appreciated, becuase every week that goes by my heart sinks even lower...

Unless there has been a huge change, it sounds like II's from Rush go out all the way through January. It may test your patience, but I wouldn't give up hope yet!
 
i was complete on 8/20/12, was really surprised to get an invite as this is my first interview this cycle. if you are still waiting to hear back, just be patient, persistence will pay off at the end.

II at about 2am. I was complete 8/17

Good to see people complete in August still getting IIs. Hoping to hear good news from Rush soon... I check my email hoping for something from Rush every morning!
 
Anyone know if rush screens before or after secondary submission? I ask because I've heard some people saying they screen below 9 each section, but this isn't listed on website ??
 
II today! 3.4/32N (super unbalanced, 7 in PS), complete 10/2. Scheduled interview for 12/12. So excited at the possibility of staying in Chicago!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.