2012-2013 Rush Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may have been asked earlier in the thread, but does anybody know Rush's interview vs. acceptance rate? It looks like last year there were 380 interviews for a class of 130. I read elsewhere that a conservative estimate is that most schools accept twice the number of matriculants. So 260/380, about 68%? Does that sound right?
 
This may have been asked earlier in the thread, but does anybody know Rush's interview vs. acceptance rate? It looks like last year there were 380 interviews for a class of 130. I read elsewhere that a conservative estimate is that most schools accept twice the number of matriculants. So 260/380, about 68%? Does that sound right?

Not quite that many, but you're really close! I can't say the exact number cause of copyright stuff, but yeah they a good percentage of people 🙂 Just hoping to get an interview sometime!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Pretty sure the updates don't mean anything. Mine says 11/28/2012 and I'm pretty sure every day that I've checked, it's been that same date. Wishful thinking that it means something, I think 🙂

Definitely been real quiet from Rush. It doesn't seem like very many SDN-ers have gotten invites at all. BUT they don't send out that many. I'm still hoping!
 
This may have been asked earlier in the thread, but does anybody know Rush's interview vs. acceptance rate? It looks like last year there were 380 interviews for a class of 130. I read elsewhere that a conservative estimate is that most schools accept twice the number of matriculants. So 260/380, about 68%? Does that sound right?

Jill Volk told us at the interview that they're expecting to give out 425 interview slots this year, so the percentage might be slightly lower than usual.
 
Does anyone know approximately how many of the expected 425 they have given out so far?
My guess would be, since they interview once a week, with ~20 applicants per interview day, and now that it's the end of November, they've probably interviewed a little less than half of the 425 interview spots.

At the interview they said they increased the number of interview spots in an attempt to get more OOS applicants.
 
1) Community service and clinical volunteering opportunities. If you have ideas for service activities, Sharon Gates will help you make it happen.

2) The opportunity to rotate through Cook County Stroger. This lets you experience medicine in the public setting along with the private setting at Rush. You also get to be more hands-on at County.

Those are probably among the more distinguishing reasons to choose Rush. Feel free to ask about specific aspects (student satisfaction, quality of teaching/faculty, facilities, etc.) if you'd like. Hope that helps!
Thanks! The immediate exposure to clinical experience was definitely one of the things that stood out to me. I guess my top questions are how good is Rush at helping get students good residencies, how happy/stressed the students are in general, how helpful/friendly are the staff/administration, and what's your favorite and least favorite thing about Rush?
Sorry if those are a lot of questions! I could probably fill over a page with the questions I have....
 
KK
Thanks! The immediate exposure to clinical experience was definitely one of the things that stood out to me. I guess my top questions are how good is Rush at helping get students good residencies, how happy/stressed the students are in general, how helpful/friendly are the staff/administration, and what's your favorite and least favorite thing about Rush?
Sorry if those are a lot of questions! I could probably fill over a page with the questions I have....

I'm just an M1, but every M3/4 I meet has been very happy with their education at Rush and does not seem to worry about "good residencies". I think the match list was given at interview day? Or maybe second look day?

I'd say, except during the few days before an exam, we are all very happy and much less stressed than other schools (I've got friends in medical school all over).
I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee the faculty! and Jill Volk! and Sharon! Honestly, our teachers care a lot about us and really want us to succeed. Our block coordinator emailed us out a breakdown for our midterm with comforting words as we're all a bit nervous! I struggle in histology, and one of the histology professors sits down with me (and some others) before the exam. He spent 3 hours covering histo in our musculoskeletal block and I went from knowing nothing to getting 13/15 histo questions on the gross practical correct. He's going to have a histo review with me and whomever else again this block.

The things I appreciate most would be : 1. Faculty that care about our learning 2. Sharon Gates//The insane amount of volunteer opportunities 3. The clinical exposure! (I've already presented patients to attendings, etc...) 4. Being in Chicago and everything that comes with it! 5. The Keurig in our student lounge. Free pods too. They feed us a lot too, which is nice. So 5 is free comestibles. 6. A LOT of study space at Rush 7. They survey us... They ask what we want, and within reason we get it basically. Example: We wanted swipe access to AcFac, and it happened in October(?). 8. The hospital is really pretty, and I hear from the upperclassmen makes clerkships nicer. It's also cool to show the fam/gloat about. 9. I'm pretty stoked about the Alumni Mentorship thing we're getting and preceptor is pretty cool. 10. Our gross anatomy is done extremely well.

My "cons" I guess: 1. Have to use UIC or another gym (for me, not such a big deal except in the winter) 2. I'm not a huge fan of Subway and Au Bon Pain is kinda expensive which is kinda annoying during exam week and I basically live at Rush. 3. Preceptor can be far away or inconvenient (but it is a great learning experience). 4. I hate getting kicked out of the 9th floor study rooms in the middle of a study jam (janitors come to clean the hallways etc around 4pm). 5. Not enough water fountains (which our Student council plans on addressing this year). 6. white coat needs bigger pockets.
Clearly nothing earth shattering....
 
Last edited:
My "cons" I guess: 1. Have to use UIC or another gym (for me, not such a big deal except in the winter) 2. I'm not a huge fan of Subway and Au Bon Pain is kinda expensive which is kinda annoying during exam week and I basically live at Rush.

1) I know some apartment buildings near Rush also have work out facilities. Do you know which ones? Also how far away is the UIC gym?
2) Why don't you walk to the jewel? It looks like it's just 3 blocks away. Is it just a time thing or is that area not as safe?

Just Curious. 100% coming here either way.
 
Medical District Apartments has a gym. UIC gym is at like Polk and Wolcott which is fine except as it gets colder I get lazier. Im also more into running than the gym anyway. Its like ten minutes walking from Rush. There is talk of a Rush gym but honestly its not a big deal in my opinion. A lot of people gets memberships close to where they live as well (people live all over the city).

Jewel is at Roosevelt which is 1200 South and Rush is on Harrison at 600 South . Thats too far to walk for just lunch timewise. I dont have groceries right now since Im cramming for the midterm. I usually bring food to Rush. I have study snacks in my locker. A 711 is on Taylor so thats very convenient for inbetween grocery trips. A Costco is conveniently located on 14th and Ashland as well. So its more study week laziness than lack of places to go.

Also the Target on Jackson is like a mile from Rush so thats awesome.
 
Thanks! The immediate exposure to clinical experience was definitely one of the things that stood out to me. I guess my top questions are how good is Rush at helping get students good residencies, how happy/stressed the students are in general, how helpful/friendly are the staff/administration, and what's your favorite and least favorite thing about Rush?
Sorry if those are a lot of questions! I could probably fill over a page with the questions I have....

I agree with everything GraMaire's said. I'd only say, with respect to match lists: they reflect a class's preferences for specialty and location perhaps moreso than an ability of the school to land you a desired residency--unless your desired residency lines up with one a lot of people matched into. (But the converse may not be true---that a lack of people getting into your desired residency means you won't have a good chance of doing so yourself.)

My most favorite thing (bearing in mind I can't comment on actual clinical rotations) has to be having the chance to get involved with one of the RCSIP clinics.

Least favorite: food options. It's probably no worse than other schools, but I would appreciate more after-hours options besides Au Bon Pain.
 
Hey guys, I interviewed 10/17 and haven't heard anything back. I was wondering if this is common or if others are in the same boat?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I interviewed 10/17 and haven't heard anything back. I was wondering if this is common or if others are in the same boat?
,

I'm on the same boat as you. My guess is that the Thanksgiving break pushed things back a little. I'm really hoping to hear some news today, if not I am definitely calling to inquire about my status
 
I interviewed around the same time and haven't heard back either. It looks like they've only done one batch of decisions though, so I think it's worth waiting until at least the second batch comes before you ask.
 
My daily emotional Rush roller coaster;

:scared: -- When I see that someone just posted in the Rush thread thinking that they got an II and I didn't.

😡 -- As I'm scrolling down the thread to see who the lucky loser was who took my II. What's wrong with you Rush why are you doing this to me?!

😳 -- Phew! Just some post about someone post-interview or about some other nonsense.

😕 -- Wondering if this makes me a bad person for being happy that no one else on SDN got an II from Rush while I'm still waiting for mine.

🙁 -- Back to the excruciating silent wait for Rush and the other dozen or so schools that are ignoring me.

:idea: -- It's midnight, now if I only stay up until 2:00 am, maybe I'll get an II in my inbox!

😴 -- That's dumb! Why would I get one....go to sleep

🙁 -- empty inbox in the morning, and the daily roller coaster starts again...
 
Last edited:
My daily emotional Rush roller coaster;

:scared: -- When I see that someone just posted in the Rush thread thinking that they got an II and I didn't.

😡 -- As I'm scrolling down the thread to see who the lucky loser was who took my II. What's wrong with you Rush why are you doing this to me?!

😳 -- Phew! Just some post about someone post-interview or about some other nonsense.

😕 -- Wondering if this makes me a bad person for being happy that no one else on SDN got an II from Rush while I'm still waiting for mine.

🙁 -- Back to the excruciating silent wait for Rush and the other dozen or so schools that are ignoring me.

:idea: -- It's midnight, now if I only stay up until 2:00 am, maybe I'll get an II in my inbox!

😴 -- That's dumb! Why would I get one....go to sleep

🙁 -- empty inbox in the morning, and the daily roller coaster starts again...

literally EXACTLY how I feel.. you nailed it.
 
My daily emotional Rush roller coaster;

:scared: -- When I see that someone just posted in the Rush thread thinking that they got an II and I didn't.

😡 -- As I'm scrolling down the thread to see who the lucky loser was who took my II. What's wrong with you Rush why are you doing this to me?!

😳 -- Phew! Just some post about someone post-interview or about some other nonsense.

😕 -- Wondering if this makes me a bad person for being happy that no one else on SDN got an II from Rush while I'm still waiting for mine.

🙁 -- Back to the excruciating silent wait for Rush and the other dozen or so schools that are ignoring me.

:idea: -- It's midnight, now if I only stay up until 2:00 am, maybe I'll get an II in my inbox!

😴 -- That's dumb! Why would I get one....go to sleep

🙁 -- empty inbox in the morning, and the daily roller coaster starts again...

I really hope the adcoms see this because the amount of effort you put in this post should automatically qualify you for an interview. :nod:
 
Hey I want to start a Rush Medical College Class of 2017 facebook group, but it says I need to add friends to it first in order to create it. PM me if you've been accepted so I can friend you on facebook and we can get it started!

Edit: Created the Group!!
 
Last edited:
Hey, has anyone else been accepted after attending the 10/17 recruitment day? It'll be cool to see some familiar faces! 👍
 
My daily emotional Rush roller coaster;

:scared: -- When I see that someone just posted in the Rush thread thinking that they got an II and I didn't.

😡 -- As I'm scrolling down the thread to see who the lucky loser was who took my II. What's wrong with you Rush why are you doing this to me?!

😳 -- Phew! Just some post about someone post-interview or about some other nonsense.

😕 -- Wondering if this makes me a bad person for being happy that no one else on SDN got an II from Rush while I'm still waiting for mine.

🙁 -- Back to the excruciating silent wait for Rush and the other dozen or so schools that are ignoring me.

:idea: -- It's midnight, now if I only stay up until 2:00 am, maybe I'll get an II in my inbox!

😴 -- That's dumb! Why would I get one....go to sleep

🙁 -- empty inbox in the morning, and the daily roller coaster starts again...

This is basically my life in emoticons.
 
My daily emotional Rush roller coaster;

:scared: -- When I see that someone just posted in the Rush thread thinking that they got an II and I didn't.

😡 -- As I'm scrolling down the thread to see who the lucky loser was who took my II. What's wrong with you Rush why are you doing this to me?!

😳 -- Phew! Just some post about someone post-interview or about some other nonsense.

😕 -- Wondering if this makes me a bad person for being happy that no one else on SDN got an II from Rush while I'm still waiting for mine.

🙁 -- Back to the excruciating silent wait for Rush and the other dozen or so schools that are ignoring me.

:idea: -- It's midnight, now if I only stay up until 2:00 am, maybe I'll get an II in my inbox!

😴 -- That's dumb! Why would I get one....go to sleep

🙁 -- empty inbox in the morning, and the daily roller coaster starts again...

I think we'll be friends if we go to the same school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Please, take my advice. If you are accepted to Rush, turn it down as quickly as you can, run away. I'm a second year and the transition to a systems based "block" curriculum has been awful. The majority of our "instructors" don't even teach during the lectures, they vomit outlines at us. On top of that, the instructors don't even have any say in making the exams, a completely separate guy creates our exams with no input from the people actually giving the lectures. There's no continuity. To make things even better our academic year has been shortened, so we have to cram in the same amount of information with less time, and still remember it by the time we take Step 1 in April (most schools take it in June- two whole months later). The Rush board scores will drop, trust me.

The school seems happy to ride the coat tails of the ortho department while being content playing little brother to Northwestern and U of Chicago. They know they have students by the cajones since people will still agree to pay tuition just to be going to a school. There seems to be no investment of tuition dollars into anything of actual significance or benefit to the students.

Please, if you have the opportunity, go elsewhere. Unfortunately this will probably fall on deaf ears since, like I was, you all are bright-eyed, and optimistic about going to medical school. Please take off the rose-colored glasses. Rush knows they can keep playing the system because there's enough people who are willing to hemorrhage cash into their accounts while closing our eyes, clicking our heels together, and chanting: "make me a doctor, make me a doctor." We're like high school girls on the day before prom, just wanting to get asked to the dance, even if it's the kid with headgear who reenacts star wars in his basement. Have some standards, please make a better choice than I did.

I should have chosen a different profession.
 
Please, take my advice. If you are accepted to Rush, turn it down as quickly as you can, run away. I'm a second year and the transition to a systems based "block" curriculum has been awful. The majority of our "instructors" don't even teach during the lectures, they vomit outlines at us. On top of that, the instructors don't even have any say in making the exams, a completely separate guy creates our exams with no input from the people actually giving the lectures. There's no continuity. To make things even better our academic year has been shortened, so we have to cram in the same amount of information with less time, and still remember it by the time we take Step 1 in April (most schools take it in June- two whole months later). The Rush board scores will drop, trust me.

The school seems happy to ride the coat tails of the ortho department while being content playing little brother to Northwestern and U of Chicago. They know they have students by the cajones since people will still agree to pay tuition just to be going to a school. There seems to be no investment of tuition dollars into anything of actual significance or benefit to the students.

Please, if you have the opportunity, go elsewhere. Unfortunately this will probably fall on deaf ears since, like I was, you all are bright-eyed, and optimistic about going to medical school. Please take off the rose-colored glasses. Rush knows they can keep playing the system because there's enough people who are willing to hemorrhage cash into their accounts while closing our eyes, clicking our heels together, and chanting: "make me a doctor, make me a doctor." We're like high school girls on the day before prom, just wanting to get asked to the dance, even if it's the kid with headgear who reenacts star wars in his basement. Have some standards, please make a better choice than I did.

I should have chosen a different profession.

Why does Rush take step 1 in April? 2nd- don't you still have the option of taking it in June? I know a few students did wait last year.
 
Why does Rush take step 1 in April? 2nd- don't you still have the option of taking it in June? I know a few students did wait last year.

They start CRASH in May. You have to take Step one before to the best of my knowledge. They changed the curriculum quite a bit.
 
Last edited:
Look at the last sentence. Just saying.

Yeah it's quite clear this post derives from stress and uncertainty, so don't worry I'm not taking the advice. However, study time for Step 1 is a concern I've had about this school Before this post. I'm just going to hope it's fixed within the next 2 years.
 
Last edited:
Yeah it's quite clear this post derives from stress and uncertainty, so don't worry I'm not taking the advice. However, studying time for Step 1 is a concern I've had about this school Before this post. I'm just going to hope it's fixed within the next 2 years.

Mauberleyyyy? Dude you know so much more than me about this.

I havent heard people complain a ton about "lack of time" just general "ahhh this exam is going to decide my future".

I might be wrong about when the deadline is as well.

I have heard theres been some kinks with the transition but have been told numerous times that they have plans to improve especially in the first block.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using SDN Mobile
 
They start CRASH in May. You have to take Step one before to the best of my knowledge. They changed the curriculum quite a bit.

Oh.. So you guys really do need to take Step 1 in April? That sucks... Ok Rush, I guess it's not so bad that you've ignored me so far.
 
Oh.. So you guys really do need to take Step 1 in April? That sucks... Ok Rush, I guess it's not so bad that you've ignored me so far.

Sooo just looked up shtuff. I have to have step one done by 4/26/2014.

I looked up Northwestern to.compare they start m2 Aug. 20.
and ends May 20. and start M3 June 26. Rush starts my M2 8/5/13 and ends 3/14/14.

So unless my tired brain is not functioning, isnt this essentially the same timeline? Rush is shifted a few weeks earlier.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using SDN Mobile
 
Our last final is 3/15 and the last day to sit for Step is 5/4. M3 year starts shortly thereafter.

They accommodated this by starting us a month earlier than previous years, shortening our summer break in the process. I believe this shift will work its way to first year. (Rush previously started later than other schools--after Labor Day.)

Some observations:

1) M1 year seems comparably less stressful than M2 year at Rush. Without presuming to speak for my friends at other schools (UIC, Northwestern, UChicago), it seems like that's reversed elsewhere. The M1 year is front-loaded with M2 year being relatively less so.

2) Curriculum change is usually not without its growing pains. My class, the second to go through the new curriculum, had the benefit of the previous class's feedback to improve it, and GraMaire's class will have ours similarly for M2 year, and you will have her class's feedback to improve yours in turn.

3) Each block has an administrator that is responsible for its content and delivery. That administrator is a faculty member and is almost always involved in teaching some aspect of the block as well. This person is the one constructing the block exam based on input and questions submitted by the individual lecturers. The idea is that this facilitates the coherent formulation of cross-disciplinary questions and clinical vignettes. I can't provide a comparison of this (exam construction) to M1 year because I'm less aware of that particular process.

I won't trivialize my classmate's post, because this /is/ a stressful and frustrating time and I can't say I haven't felt similarly at times. (Ask GraMaire.) But it's fair to wonder how to interpret it, which I can't give blanket advice on except to say if anyone does have questions about it, to PM me. It's a thing best hashed out as a one-on-one dialogue instead of what would likely be a tl;dr post with little additional context to help you parse it out.
 
Please, take my advice. If you are accepted to Rush, turn it down as quickly as you can, run away. I'm a second year and the transition to a systems based "block" curriculum has been awful. The majority of our "instructors" don't even teach during the lectures, they vomit outlines at us. On top of that, the instructors don't even have any say in making the exams, a completely separate guy creates our exams with no input from the people actually giving the lectures. There's no continuity. To make things even better our academic year has been shortened, so we have to cram in the same amount of information with less time, and still remember it by the time we take Step 1 in April (most schools take it in June- two whole months later). The Rush board scores will drop, trust me.

The school seems happy to ride the coat tails of the ortho department while being content playing little brother to Northwestern and U of Chicago. They know they have students by the cajones since people will still agree to pay tuition just to be going to a school. There seems to be no investment of tuition dollars into anything of actual significance or benefit to the students.

Please, if you have the opportunity, go elsewhere. Unfortunately this will probably fall on deaf ears since, like I was, you all are bright-eyed, and optimistic about going to medical school. Please take off the rose-colored glasses. Rush knows they can keep playing the system because there's enough people who are willing to hemorrhage cash into their accounts while closing our eyes, clicking our heels together, and chanting: "make me a doctor, make me a doctor." We're like high school girls on the day before prom, just wanting to get asked to the dance, even if it's the kid with headgear who reenacts star wars in his basement. Have some standards, please make a better choice than I did.

I should have chosen a different profession.
It's understandable you would have these feelings. I think all doctors have regrets of this nature, either while in medical school or while in practice.

If you have an interest in having a hard working job and taking care of people who need your help, you are still in the right place. I can't comment on the teaching strategy at Rush, I haven't been to medical school in a long time. But I think a lot of premed students would want the opportunity to be where you are right now, and have a chance to train to be a doctor.

The cost of medical school and the efficiency of training is of course a huge concern. There have got to be a few decent professors in your school, and the subject matter is not that different there than at other places. Even if you never go to class and study out of board review books all the time, you will probably be in decent shape when M3 year arrives.
 
Sooo just looked up shtuff. I have to have step one done by 4/26/2014.

I looked up Northwestern to.compare they start m2 Aug. 20.
and ends May 20. and start M3 June 26. Rush starts my M2 8/5/13 and ends 3/14/14.

So unless my tired brain is not functioning, isnt this essentially the same timeline? Rush is shifted a few weeks earlier.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using SDN Mobile

Yup! Thanks for clearing that up. Rush I'm again angry at you for ignoring my app.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
 
Sooo just looked up shtuff. I have to have step one done by 4/26/2014.

I looked up Northwestern to.compare they start m2 Aug. 20.
and ends May 20. and start M3 June 26. Rush starts my M2 8/5/13 and ends 3/14/14.

So unless my tired brain is not functioning, isnt this essentially the same timeline? Rush is shifted a few weeks earlier.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using SDN Mobile

Yes thank you! This was very helpful.
 
So Rush m2s start 2 weeks and a day (11 instructional days)before NU m2s and finish 2+ months ahead of NU? That is a huge instructional difference. At least I think it is. I wonder what in the heck NU is doing those 2 extra months
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So Rush m2s start 2 weeks and a day (11 instructional days)before NU m2s and finish 2+ months ahead of NU? That is a huge instructional difference. At least I think it is. I wonder what in the heck NU is doing those 2 extra months

It's not what NW is doing, it's what Rush isn't doing. Most schools are on a similar schedule to NW.
 
By the way, can everyone please refrain from posting about their II's from Rush until I get one? It will be help me to avoid additional panic. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Irish
 
Status
Not open for further replies.