2012-2013 Rush Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
im confused here guys....so what IS the consensus on rush's curriculum?

I think the consensus is that we are undergoing a curriculum change for our M2 year...and it seems to have a put stressed on a lot of our M2s. Basically there are growing pains that are actively being improved on as each block goes on. From my understanding, Rush moved up (or back?) the calendar to give us the opportunity to do more electives/sub-internships our M4 year before we apply to residencies. As an M1, I am not concerned about this because as Mauberly mentioned, things are improved as time goes on. I have had amazing experiences since being here, and while I have noticed the M2s are stressed at times, I have not heard anyone mention regretting their decision to attend school here... I cannot speak for the class though, since I am not experiencing what they are... my opinion is more secondhand observation/speaking to some M2s.
 
I think the consensus is that we are undergoing a curriculum change for our M2 year...and it seems to have a put stressed on a lot of our M2s. Basically there are growing pains that are actively being improved on as each block goes on. From my understanding, Rush moved up (or back?) the calendar to give us the opportunity to do more electives/sub-internships our M4 year before we apply to residencies. As an M1, I am not concerned about this because as Mauberly mentioned, things are improved as time goes on. I have had amazing experiences since being here, and while I have noticed the M2s are stressed at times, I have not heard anyone mention regretting their decision to attend school here... I cannot speak for the class though, since I am not experiencing what they are... my opinion is more secondhand observation/speaking to some M2s.

👍

I agree totally. Medical school is hard, and it can be stressful no matter what year you are or where you go.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
im waiting too from 10/31...really nervous about this one...

i think there are still people waiting from earlier interview groups too...eeek!
 
sooo still soooooo quiet with the ii? Do we think they've just taken a break or maybe have been giving them out to non sdners?? I'm so confused...
 
Has anyone sent a pre interview letter o* interest?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Totally basing this off nothing that.might actually be factual (ie things I have heard secondhand and last year)... They are running slow/behind but more II will absolutely go out. My guess is lateee this month.

Basically, too early to really panic haha I had given up hope when I.got a II right around Christmas.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using SDN Mobile
 
you're right! are you going to call or email? I couldn't find a contact number

I was going to wait until Friday or next Monday to email. I didn't want to be the first from the interview group to email, and I figured first thing this morning would be a bad idea and make me seem desperate (which I am haha). I want to say Jill told us to email the admissions email, but I'm not at home so I can't look at my notes.
 
I was going to wait until Friday or next Monday to email. I didn't want to be the first from the interview group to email, and I figured first thing this morning would be a bad idea and make me seem desperate (which I am haha). I want to say Jill told us to email the admissions email, but I'm not at home so I can't look at my notes.

I'm from the 10/17 group and still waiting 🙁

You know this entire process has made me realize that the best way to torture a criminal is make him wait for his prison sentence... Just sayin'
 
You know this entire process has made me realize that the best way to torture a criminal is make him wait for his prison sentence... Just sayin'

hahaha the waiting game is killing me. And since Rush is my favorite of the schools I've interviewed at so far, I'm slowly losing my mind as I wait.

I'm jealous of the one person from 10/31 who already got in.
 
Accepted!!! sooooo excited, Rush is one of my top choices!

Interviewed: 11/14

I'm actually surprised I heard in 3 weeks. I remember Jill telling us that we would hear in 4-6 weeks, most likely >6 weeks due to the holidays. Not complaining!
 
Last edited:
Accepted, but my heart is set on another school so I will probably be withdrawing my acceptance. Hopefully it goes to one of my fellow Oct 31st interview peeps! I think I know who you are NewOrleans8, hope it goes to you!
 
Accepted today! Interviewed 11/7, OOS, 33R/3.65.

My interviewer decided to do the whole interview via the Socratic method, which made me more than a little nervous, but I guess I did okay!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
anyone got advice on how to get off Rush's waitlist? That's where i'm at, interviewed mid october.

should i send update letters now, or wait?
 
anyone got advice on how to get off Rush's waitlist? That's where i'm at, interviewed mid october.

should i send update letters now, or wait?

Id wait until you have something substantial (unless you do already).
They will file updates and LoI for consideration much later. I believe all WLers had to wait until May 15th.

If I were you and Rush my dream school, I would try and fix any seemingly weak areas. If you cannot find one, do major service hours dedicated to the uninsured/underserved or get hugeee clinical hours since those are two big areas of focus. THEN I would write a letter of intent later. I helped a classmate write his, emphasizing his fit for the school.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using SDN Mobile
 
wait so ppl on the waitlist wont be looked at again until May15th? So rush doesn't give "rolling" admissions to people off the waitlist as acceptees withdraw?

I don't know for sure but I do not know of anyone who heard before May last year.

Edit: Looked on the website: "Applicants who are initially placed on a wait list are re-evaluated periodically throughout the decision period and remain eligible for acceptance at any time before the first day of orientation."

Although, what I said still holds true, and everyone I know got a call after May 15th.
 
Last edited:
wait so ppl on the waitlist wont be looked at again until May15th? So rush doesn't give "rolling" admissions to people off the waitlist as acceptees withdraw?

Most schools don't give "rolling" admissions to people on the wait list. Rush apparently does though.
 
can someone clear this up?

it really does seem like Rush could take someone from the waitlist at *any point* between now and the start of orientation

any other waitlisters send letters to rush?
 
I don't know for sure but I do not know of anyone who heard before May last year.

Edit: Looked on the website: "Applicants who are initially placed on a wait list are re-evaluated periodically throughout the decision period and remain eligible for acceptance at any time before the first day of orientation."

Although, what I said still holds true, and everyone I know got a call after May 15th.

can someone clear this up?

it really does seem like Rush could take someone from the waitlist at *any point* between now and the start of orientation

any other waitlisters send letters to rush?

read.
 
Can anyone that was already interviewed/accepted give me some insight into what their applications looked like? I'm talking more in terms of anything you may have done post secondary since they don't take update letters/don't really have a phone number to call and express interest. My application is pretty good I feel, I had my secondary in by early August, 3.79 gpa, 31 mcat, and I've volunteered in a hospital and for a doctor, shadowed, and done research among other things. Any tips or insight would be great, as I'm just starting to get a little frustrated/discouraged. Thanks!
 
Can anyone that was already interviewed/accepted give me some insight into what their applications looked like? I'm talking more in terms of anything you may have done post secondary since they don't take update letters/don't really have a phone number to call and express interest. My application is pretty good I feel, I had my secondary in by early August, 3.79 gpa, 31 mcat, and I've volunteered in a hospital and for a doctor, shadowed, and done research among other things. Any tips or insight would be great, as I'm just starting to get a little frustrated/discouraged. Thanks!

You seem to have an average app with nothing that sticks out.
 
Can anyone that was already interviewed/accepted give me some insight into what their applications looked like? I'm talking more in terms of anything you may have done post secondary since they don't take update letters/don't really have a phone number to call and express interest. My application is pretty good I feel, I had my secondary in by early August, 3.79 gpa, 31 mcat, and I've volunteered in a hospital and for a doctor, shadowed, and done research among other things. Any tips or insight would be great, as I'm just starting to get a little frustrated/discouraged. Thanks!

Rush does have a minimum number of clinical hours that they look for, that perhaps you fail to meet and they look for dedication to underserved populations.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using SDN Mobile
 
Here's Episode 1 of "RUWatching," the collective video blog of Rush's c/o 2016! If you have any questions for the current M1s, post them here (or PM me), and we'll try to answer them on video in the next episode.

We love it here, and we want to help you guys see what it's like to be a student at Rush.

Enjoy!

http://vimeo.com/54265198

:corny::corny::corny:

p.s. don't forget to give us your questions! we want to know what you want to know!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks! Well it was phrased along the lines of "we recently extended an opportunity for you to interview, but saw that you have not scheduled your interview. We now have dates in January open..."

The thing is...that was my first email from Rush since my complete email in September 😕

I'm probably an outlier so don't panic.


Oh and if you're the MCAT Rudy, I'm the sGPA Rudy. That means all of you with low sGPAs don't give up hope for Rush!

That was bait. They've now identified your real identity!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
 
Status
Not open for further replies.