2012-2013 Rush Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was complete Oct 2nd, Received an II on Dec 21st, and the interview is this week. Stats are above average for Rush. Hope this helps!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was complete Oct 2nd, Received an II on Dec 21st, and the interview is this week. Stats are above average for Rush. Hope this helps!!

Good luck interviewing

Good luck to those still waiting

--M1 who doesn't feel like studying so feel free to ask questions if you have them 🙂
 
Good luck interviewing

Good luck to those still waiting

--M1 who doesn't feel like studying so feel free to ask questions if you have them 🙂

I have a question. How do I get an interview here?

Not Rush related per say, but I've been to Chicago numerous times.... just never out of O'Hare...


Where do I absolutely need to make sure I visit.

I know the question wasn't really directed at me, but imo it depends when you visit. If it's during the summer, you need to go to museum campus, walk through grant park and see the museums on the lake, buckingham fountain, millenium park, maybe navy pier if you have time (not really by the museums).
If during the winter then a good thing to do is go to the United Center to watch the Bulls and/or Blackhawks.
 
Not Rush related per say, but I've been to Chicago numerous times.... just never out of O'Hare...


Where do I absolutely need to make sure I visit.

HMMM.... hahah Great question.

I love museums, so the Field, Science and Industry or Art museums are all magnificent. Lincoln Park Zoo is lovely and free. There's also Shedd aquarium and Adler Planetarium. Museum of Science and Industry is the only one not on the museum campus.

Pizza-I'm a Gino's East fan, Lou Malnati's also good for Chicago deep dish, and I hear Pequod's is phenomenal (maybe I'll go post-exam haha). Portillo's for hot dogs.

Do Millenium Park, walk around, definitely walk down Michigan Ave.

Navy Pier is a huge tourist attraction, and if you can do the ferris wheel it is pretty sweet (depends on the weather, its better in nice weather for sure). There's cool architectural tours, though I don't have one to recommend --downside of not doing touristy things in your own city.

Sears Tower-never Willis- is cool, but pricey!!! I've heard good things about the Hancock but never done it.

Second City---great improv show! Chicago has great theatre too

Then of course bars...
If you're a runner, go run on the lakepath since it is gorgeous.
There's something for everyone! I hope I covered the major points haha



So, no idea on the II, Irish, sorry.
 
II today. Stats are toward the 90th percentile according to the MSAR. Only two dates available but the email said more will open as needed. I looked through the last few pages but couldn't find the answer to this:

Which airport is best to use? Do they have hosting and if not what are some good hotel options?
 
II today. Stats are toward the 90th percentile according to the MSAR. Only two dates available but the email said more will open as needed. I looked through the last few pages but couldn't find the answer to this:

Which airport is best to use? Do they have hosting and if not what are some good hotel options?

When were you complete?
 
II today. Stats are toward the 90th percentile according to the MSAR. Only two dates available but the email said more will open as needed. I looked through the last few pages but couldn't find the answer to this:

Which airport is best to use? Do they have hosting and if not what are some good hotel options?

Either works... I'd go for cheaper. You can use google.com/transit for times

Ohare--take the blue line in, it's right there.

Midway--orange line is right there and you can transfer to blue or whatever line is closest to your hotel.

Yes, there is (free!) student hosting. If you're lucky and your host has a car and timing is good, they might even pick you up. Just be aware that exam weeks are really rough on us, and those weeks hosts might be a little more stressed. Exams are 1/28, and 3/8 in interview season. If come on a non-exam week, hosts are known to take their students out for dinner/drinks/sightseeing 🙂

Closest hotel is the Marriot at Ashland and Harrison, one block east... If neither option appeals, PM me and I'll help ya out.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted by email today!! :soexcited:
I also interviewed on 12/19. What an awesome day, acceptance letter + paycheck. 😀
 
Just heard my email ping... thought it mighta been from Rush, since sometimes their emails come at this bizarre time. Just a university bill from school. TOTAL BUZZKILL.
 
is rush done sending out interview invites or do they send them out slower than most schools?
 
Waitlisted 🙁 Appears like I'm in the minority too. Awful lot of acceptances in this thread, only a few waitlists. I'm sure it's been asked before, but is there a lot of movement off of the waitlist?

I was waitlisted on 1/3 and received an acceptance on 1/15!! Totally unexpected but it definitely shows how fair the whole process is! Don't lose hope 🙂
 
is rush done sending out interview invites or do they send them out slower than most schools?

I'm pretty sure many to most schools are still sending out interview invites. When I got an II from Rush two years ago, it wasn't until early Feb, and I'm assuming this is still the case.

Hope that helps.
 
I was waitlisted on 1/3 and received an acceptance on 1/15!! Totally unexpected but it definitely shows how fair the whole process is! Don't lose hope 🙂
Did you send update letters and LOI's or was it just out of the blue?

And congrats! 😀
 
I was waitlisted on 1/3 and received an acceptance on 1/15!! Totally unexpected but it definitely shows how fair the whole process is! Don't lose hope 🙂

Congrats! And jealous! Well it's nice to know there's hope. I got an acceptance elsewhere yesterday, so that's definitely a weight off my mind. But I would really love to stay in Chicago.
 
Is there a current student at Rush who I can message with questions? I'm choosing between Rush and another school so I was hoping to get some things cleared up. Thanks!!
 
Is there a current student at Rush who I can message with questions? I'm choosing between Rush and another school so I was hoping to get some things cleared up. Thanks!!

Feel free to message me any questions. I am an M1 here at Rush.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Current M1, thought I'd add some info that you might find useful.

App Complete: Late October, 2011
Interview Invite: Early January, 2012
Interview: Late January, 2012
Decision (Accepted): Mid February, 2012

Low GPA, Low MCAT, but had unique EC's post-college. Rush is definitely not a stats-only school. Best of luck everyone!


You give me hope!! 3.3/29S, tons of EC and professional experience, but rejections are already rolling in. A doctor I worked with did part of his residency rotations at Rush and loved it, so I hope they'll give me an interview. :luck:
 
+1 and in my experience, much less likely to have problems/delays.

true... but if you're staying with a host/ staying near Rush, its much easier to for O'hare because its the same Blue Line right next to Rush... so you sit on 1 train and its a straight shot. Versus Midway is off the Orange Line, where you have to switch to the Blue or Pink Line to get to Rush. It ends up taking you the same amount of time via the El. (Speaking from experience). Now if you're taking a taxi or having someone pick you up, Midway is def the better airport.
 
There are still 9 interview days left.. Chillax some.
Is this just assuming they interview once a week until end of March, or do you have inside information on this?
That could mean anywhere from 90-135 (maybe 180?) II's left to go out...depending on how many they do a day.
This makes me feel much better assuming it's true. I have heard they interview like 20 a day so it could be even more.
 
+1 for more iis!!

I'm glad that someone clarified how many interviews are left in those nine days, cause otherwise I would have seen that and panicked/assumed I was done here!
 
Nah, forgot all the rest. I would assume that II went out for close to half of the dates left though.. cutting your estimates in half....


I also don't remember how many people interviewed my day... but it was a fair amount.

Oh ok. I see what you mean with 9 days
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I thought they interviewed throughout Feb?

Interview until the end of March, Wednesdays only, subtract two weeks for spring break and something else (I know it's less 2 though). I'd assume most II have gone out, and will go out before mid -February.

Source: I'm an M1.
 
Interview until the end of March, Wednesdays only, subtract two weeks for spring break and something else (I know it's less 2 though). I'd assume most II have gone out, and will go out before mid -February.

Source: I'm an M1.

It took me a while to decide, but I'll be withdrawing my February interview. Thanks GraMaire and mauberley for all of your help/insight 🙂. You two are the ones that made the withdrawing from Rush such a difficult decision. Good luck to everyone else still waiting--I hope the ii goes to one of you !
 
So I can't help but wonder what the last updated date really means...

I've been checking it after a friend told me when he got his II from Rush a few months back, he saw a tab when logging in, but never got an email about it. Anyways, for the past few weeks it has been changing daily to the current day's date as the last update, usually later at night. After checking this week, it was only updated on Wednesday (1/23) early in the AM, and hasn't been since. I'm probably (okay, or definitely) reading too much into this, but my friend's situation just makes me nervous now.
 
It took me a while to decide, but I'll be withdrawing my February interview. Thanks GraMaire and mauberley for all of your help/insight 🙂. You two are the ones that made the withdrawing from Rush such a difficult decision. Good luck to everyone else still waiting--I hope the ii goes to one of you !

Can I ask why you withdrew? Or should I look back in the forum for this? Haha
 
Status
Not open for further replies.