2012-2013 Rush Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was complete back in August and haven't heard from them since. I don't think I'm that bad of an applicant.

32R, 3.6 cumulative/3.6 science GPA (Last 100 hours, including 35 science and 60 graduate is 4.0)
Graduate degree
5000+ hospital lab hours (1000+ with patient contact)
1000 shadowing hours

Is that competitive, or should I abandon hope?
 
Can I ask why you withdrew? Or should I look back in the forum for this? Haha

Rush sounds like a good school with an amazing set of students that I would be happy to call my classmates (not to mention--Chicago !). It's just that my interview season is mostly over, I'm broke, and I think I have cheaper options. If I had gotten an interview earlier I would have attended, but at this point it doesn't make as much sense anymore. There's always away rotations for me !
 
I was complete back in August and haven't heard from them since. I don't think I'm that bad of an applicant.

32R, 3.6 cumulative/3.6 science GPA (Last 100 hours, including 35 science and 60 graduate is 4.0)
Graduate degree
5000+ hospital lab hours (1000+ with patient contact)
1000 shadowing hours

Is that competitive, or should I abandon hope?

That's competitive. Don't lose hope yet. I have similar stats and I'm beginning to get interviews now. I have a few friends who interviewed last year in February and got accepted. There's still time! (This is me trying to convince myself 😉 lol)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rush sounds like a good school with an amazing set of students that I would be happy to call my classmates (not to mention--Chicago !). It's just that my interview season is mostly over, I'm broke, and I think I have cheaper options. If I had gotten an interview earlier I would have attended, but at this point it doesn't make as much sense anymore. There's always away rotations for me !

That makes sense. Good luck!!!
 
Rush sounds like a good school with an amazing set of students that I would be happy to call my classmates (not to mention--Chicago !). It's just that my interview season is mostly over, I'm broke, and I think I have cheaper options. If I had gotten an interview earlier I would have attended, but at this point it doesn't make as much sense anymore. There's always away rotations for me !

Uhhh...plus she's been accepted to CWRU and UC-Davis. Not too shabby. Congrats, A. 👍

That's right, I read the threads! :naughty:
 
What are the best neighborhoods to live in? My boyfriend will also be at Northwestern doing his PhD, so we are looking for a 1 bedroom apartment somewhere in between that wouldn't make the commute terrible for either on of us. We know that Northwestern has a shuttle/bus/something that runs between their downtown campus and Evanston, but we don't know much else about Chicago.

Also, is there some other resource to look for apartments (other than Craigslist) that I can use specifically for Chicago? We are also trying to keep rent around $1000, but I'm having trouble finding anything in that price range. Help please!!!
 
What are the best neighborhoods to live in? My boyfriend will also be at Northwestern doing his PhD, so we are looking for a 1 bedroom apartment somewhere in between that wouldn't make the commute terrible for either on of us. We know that Northwestern has a shuttle/bus/something that runs between their downtown campus and Evanston, but we don't know much else about Chicago.

Also, is there some other resource to look for apartments (other than Craigslist) that I can use specifically for Chicago? We are also trying to keep rent around $1000, but I'm having trouble finding anything in that price range. Help please!!!

For Rush, be near the Blue/Pink el lines or a bus that goes to Ashland/Harrison OR have a car and pay $40/month to park at Rush (which is cheap).

Is he going to be in Evanston or downtown?

Chicago is unfortunately a very expensive place to live-- and be sure the neighborhood is good. It's a big city and therefore does have crime.

Feel free to PM me, although I don't know specific websites per se. Try Googling, "Chicago apartment finder " maybe?
 
Use padmapper.com. Personally I think Chicago is one of the cheapest cities to live in compared to other cities its size (NYC, LA, SF, even most collegetowns etc.). I currently pay between $600-$700, with 2 other housemates. I live in a beautiful condo in Bucktown. You should definitely do your research on which neighborhoods to live in, since there are definitely some areas to avoid in Chicago.
 
Use padmapper.com. Personally I think Chicago is one of the cheapest cities to live in compared to other cities its size (NYC, LA, SF, even most collegetowns etc.). I currently pay between $600-$700, with 2 other housemates. I live in a beautiful condo in Bucktown. You should definitely do your research on which neighborhoods to live in, since there are definitely some areas to avoid in Chicago.

Awesome, thanks!!
 
domu.com is a Chicago-specific Internet resource as well. I don't think it's included in padmapper searches.

Purely in terms of convenience of commute to Rush and Evanston, Lakeview or Lincoln Park would be your better bets, but rents aren't cheap. Other places Rush students tend to live are Little Italy, Wicker Park, Bucktown, and West/South Loop, but again, you're not likely to find many places meeting your criteria.
 
Watched Encino Man briefly this morning and thought of you.

Still waiting for an ii?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

haha not sure why that movie reminded you of me, but yeah still waiting for that elusive interview invite form Rush....🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was complete back in August and haven't heard from them since. I don't think I'm that bad of an applicant.

32R, 3.6 cumulative/3.6 science GPA (Last 100 hours, including 35 science and 60 graduate is 4.0)
Graduate degree
5000+ hospital lab hours (1000+ with patient contact)
1000 shadowing hours

Is that competitive, or should I abandon hope?

Did you volunteer? That's what Rush emphasized a ton on the interview day, and they said that's why we were there interviewing.
 
Did you volunteer? That's what Rush emphasized a ton on the interview day, and they said that's why we were there interviewing.

Ah really? Maybe I've got a chance then. It's gonna be that or a silent rejection... I have a plethora of volunteering at hospitals and in the community. Fingers crossed!
 
Hi I just have a quick question about RUSH

I was recently accepted but was wondering if we will ever get an acceptance package that contains all the necessary info such as housing, financial aid etc? I have only been receiving letters.

Also exactly how much time do we get to study for USMLE step one at rush?
 
For Step 1 studying, this year's M2s finish exams on March 15 and the last day to sit for the exam is May 4, so I think that works out to be up to 7 weeks. I've scheduled my exam date to have 5 weeks of study time and 2 weeks' vacation.
 
Hi I just have a quick question about RUSH

I was recently accepted but was wondering if we will ever get an acceptance package that contains all the necessary info such as housing, financial aid etc? I have only been receiving letters.

Also exactly how much time do we get to study for USMLE step one at rush?
I was accepted in early December, received my deposit information about two weeks later, and through today have only received a letter in the mail (and a related e-mail) about logging on to the RUconnected portal. I got in touch with the admissions office to ask when financial aid forms will be available, and they said that was up to the financial aid office. Also, no second look date has been decided on as far as I know. Hope that helps!
 
II Today!!! OOS. Wow I thought my application was going into the automatic rejection pile. Interview scheduled for Feb 20th (Feb 13 was also available, but I have another interview on that date). Yay! :soexcited:
 
II Today!!! Wow I thought my application was going into the automatic rejection pile. Interview scheduled for Feb 20th (Feb 13 was also available, but I have another interview on that date). Yay! :soexcited:

Damn. Nothing for me. Congrats though!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
 
II Today!!! OOS. Wow I thought my application was going into the automatic rejection pile. Interview scheduled for Feb 20th (Feb 13 was also available, but I have another interview on that date). Yay! :soexcited:


When were you complete? thanks and congrats.
 
Hey for those that recently received the RUconnected letter & email instructions... were you able to log in to the new Rush email? I can access the portal, but I'm wondering if the email just hasn't been activated yet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Damn. Nothing for me. Congrats though!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Thanks! Sorry you didn't get an interview this round, but I assume there will be more interview invites to come since they interview until March. :ninja:

I haven't gotten any new interviews since December and this past week I received 2 new interview invites, so schools are still sifting through apps!!! It's not over yet!

My exact thoughts.

Thanks! Same message above applies to you too.

When were you complete? thanks and congrats.

Thanks, I submitted my application 09/20 and was marked complete one month after, in mid October. I was in Chicago twice already during this application cycle and I emailed them asking them about my status since I was in-the-area, but they always told me to basically wait for my file to be reviewed that it was under review and they would notify me of any changes. I never heard from them until today! :luck:
 
Hope you're right.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
I just checked their website under Admissions/Interviews and it says they review applicants up to February and invite them for interview up to March. So you are still in the running... good luck!
 
Hey for those that recently received the RUconnected letter & email instructions... were you able to log in to the new Rush email? I can access the portal, but I'm wondering if the email just hasn't been activated yet.
I was able to get into the email account. Try reversing the "/" used in the domain for the portal to a "\" for the domain\username for the email login.
 
I just checked their website under Admissions/Interviews and it says they review applicants up to February and invite them for interview up to March. So you are still in the running... good luck!

Thanks for the info 🙂

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile
 
I also received an II for Rush yesterday... finally! lol. But seriously, I'd basically counted this one as a fail and was super shocked when I got the invite. Do you guys have any idea how Rush looks at applicants and interviews? I know some schools will interview people specifically for the wait list this far into the season, is Rush one of those schools or does everyone interviewing generally have the same shot at an acceptance?

I would love to go here, perfect location between family and my BF is from Chicago... so I'm pretty damn excited! :soexcited:
 
I know some schools will interview people specifically for the wait list this far into the season, is Rush one of those schools or does everyone interviewing generally have the same shot at an acceptance?

Rush does not interview for the wait list. A lot of my classmates interviewed during the last couple of recruitment days and received straight-up acceptances. Congratulations on the invite and best of luck!
 
Rush does not interview for the wait list. A lot of my classmates interviewed during the last couple of recruitment days and received straight-up acceptances. Congratulations on the invite and best of luck!

That is awesome to hear! Thanks so much for the info. Also, can you give me your perspective on the school? It's nice to hear from people that are knee deep in the school. Are you happy with your choice or is there anything you wish you knew before you commited to Rush? Also, I'm not sure what year you are, but how do you feel about how Rush is preparing/did prepare you for step 1? And finally how do you feel yoru clinical experience is/will be? I'm sure you are crazy busy, so I'm super sorry for so many questions, but students at the school you're interested in are an invaluable resource. Thanks in advance on any advice/info you can provide! 🙂🙂🙂
 
Really looking forward to being back in Chicago for a 3rd time this cycle!

Are the interviews open file including grades/MCAT? Does this apply for both the faculty interview/student interview? Usually student interviews are not completely open file, in that they do not have access to grades/MCAT.

How have your interviews been? Relaxed/Stressful? 😱
 
I interviewed with them on 01/23. There are two interviews, one open and one close and it is an extremely relaxed atmosphere. Everyone seemed so passionate about the school, they sold me. Now if they could only accept me already! Has anyone that interviewed in January heard back from them yet?
 
That is awesome to hear! Thanks so much for the info. Also, can you give me your perspective on the school? It's nice to hear from people that are knee deep in the school. Are you happy with your choice or is there anything you wish you knew before you commited to Rush? Also, I'm not sure what year you are, but how do you feel about how Rush is preparing/did prepare you for step 1? And finally how do you feel yoru clinical experience is/will be? I'm sure you are crazy busy, so I'm super sorry for so many questions, but students at the school you're interested in are an invaluable resource. Thanks in advance on any advice/info you can provide! 🙂🙂🙂

I am quite happy. (Except right before exams. 😉) The first-year block/systems-based curriculum is solid. The kinks in the second year curriculum are being ironed out, as this is the first year it's been implemented, but I know the faculty are receptive to our comments (I am an M2) and that they'll have resolved our major complaints in time for the now-M1s.

That having been said, I think our greatest challenge was making the transition from first to second year: the workload and the expectations are simply much higher in the second year. It is possible during first year to get by based on what you might have learned in undergrad, but during second year, everyone's on a level playing field. The new curriculum didn't help matters -- everyone, students and faculty alike, was doing their best to get acclimated to the new organization, but I think growing pains are to be expected.

For Step 1 prep, I think the school is committed to giving us the tools to succeed. Exams in the second year feature clinical vignettes in the style of Step 1 questions. Our class has a free subscription to the USMLEWorld question bank and they're also providing us with opportunities to take practice NBME exams in simulated test-taking conditions. I know they're working on more things like that for the class after us. We have, if I calculated correctly, about 6-7 weeks of prep time before the last day to sit for Step 1. I've scheduled my date so that I have 5 weeks, which I think will be enough.

As for my clinical experiences, I'm anticipating good things. The M3s I'm friends with have had nothing but good things to say about their rotations so far. And even during the preclinical years, I think between preceptorship and community service volunteering, I've gotten my feet wet quite a bit.

That's about all I got right now. Feel free to ask whatever else is on your mind!
 
I interviewed with them on 01/23. There are two interviews, one open and one close and it is an extremely relaxed atmosphere. Everyone seemed so passionate about the school, they sold me. Now if they could only accept me already! Has anyone that interviewed in January heard back from them yet?

I was there on 1/23 too! I completely agree. Fell in love with the school and am hoping they loved me too!

Good luck interview buddy!
 
After sitting on an interview invitation for a while trying to figure out my plans, I just withdrew my application. I really hope my interview slot goes to someone here - I know a lot of you have been on the hook waiting for a while! Best of luck to all.
 
After sitting on an interview invitation for a while trying to figure out my plans, I just withdrew my application. I really hope my interview slot goes to someone here - I know a lot of you have been on the hook waiting for a while! Best of luck to all.

I just got an II invite today! really excited but I am not able to access the "interview dates". Did any of you have a little bit of lag time between the e-mail and access?
 
I've stopped stressing about Rush, if I get an interview invite, great, if not, I'll be at peace with it. Whatever happens will happen, nothing i can do about it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got an II invite today! really excited but I am not able to access the "interview dates". Did any of you have a little bit of lag time between the e-mail and access?

do you mind sharing when you were complete?
 
have any pre-interview rejections been sent out or do they wait to reject all until the season is over? Would love an interview here!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.