2012-2013 Rush Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
true... but if you're staying with a host/ staying near Rush, its much easier to for O'hare because its the same Blue Line right next to Rush... so you sit on 1 train and its a straight shot. Versus Midway is off the Orange Line, where you have to switch to the Blue or Pink Line to get to Rush. It ends up taking you the same amount of time via the El. (Speaking from experience). Now if you're taking a taxi or having someone pick you up, Midway is def the better airport.

Thanks! I'll be a staying with a host, so I'll fly out to O'hare
 
I know Jill said that they didn't want updates until asked; that they send out a request for updates in the spring. But do you think a letter of interest would be appropriate? I really loved the school and would really love to get off the waitlist. Thanks!
 
Is Rush a school to let you know if they've passed on your application? Or do they keep you waiting. I was complete in August so I think I should pretty much give up all hope?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can someone that has been accepted say how long it took to hear back? I am interviewing next week, and since it is so late in the season I am just wondering when I would possibly know. Rush is sitting on the top of my list so the curiosity is killing me! 😕 Thanks!

Also, I saw on their website that they interview around 380 for an incoming class of about 120. Considering the number of people that don't accept, that seems like a pretty decent shot at getting in once you secure an interview. But it doesn't say how many offers they extend. Does anyone know anything about that? Please share 🙂! Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Is Rush a school to let you know if they've passed on your application? Or do they keep you waiting. I was complete in August so I think I should pretty much give up all hope?

Wondering the same. I applied last year and I can't remember if I ever got a formal rejection or not...
 
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone of ya'll has been accepted and is looking to attend Rush Medical College?

has there been a facebook group formed?

Chris
 
I know Jill said that they didn't want updates until asked; that they send out a request for updates in the spring. But do you think a letter of interest would be appropriate? I really loved the school and would really love to get off the waitlist. Thanks!
No idea i'm stuck on the waitlist as well....really disappointing...

I got the impression that they don't want to hear from waitlist applicants until they request information. But I wish I could get more info about the waitlist at rush from the school itself - I have been wondering the same thing.
 
Can someone that has been accepted say how long it took to hear back? I am interviewing next week, and since it is so late in the season I am just wondering when I would possibly know. Rush is sitting on the top of my list so the curiosity is killing me! 😕 Thanks!

Also, I saw on their website that they interview around 380 for an incoming class of about 120. Considering the number of people that don't accept, that seems like a pretty decent shot at getting in once you secure an interview. But it doesn't say how many offers they extend. Does anyone know anything about that? Please share 🙂! Thanks!

It's on their website
 
No idea i'm stuck on the waitlist as well....really disappointing...

I got the impression that they don't want to hear from waitlist applicants until they request information. But I wish I could get more info about the waitlist at rush from the school itself - I have been wondering the same thing.

Well I had a few questions that I emailed to the admissions office and this is the info I got back:

Our waitlist is not ranked. Evaluation of waitlist candidates will be a separate process than evaluation of newly interviewed candidates.

We will send everyone on the waitlist a request for supplemental information in the spring. At that time, you may submit grade/activity updates, additional recommendations, etc.

But since a couple of people from SDN have already gotten pulled from the waitlist, I thought maybe an LOI might help my cause.
 
It's on their website


Um, actually it's not. I wouldn't have asked if I hadn't already checked the website.


If anyone actually has an answer, to how many are accepted (not just matriculate) and timeline from interview to response, let me know. Thanks!
 
what they only interview 380???? i thought it was more like 600? what was i thinking applying here!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The materials that they give you at the interview say they will interview about 420 this cycle and end up accepting about 240 in the end. They said expect about 5-6 weeks for a decision, but I fount out I got waitlisted after about 3 weeks. Really, I would've been ok with them taking their time and coming up with a different answer.
 
The materials that they give you at the interview say they will interview about 420 this cycle and end up accepting about 240 in the end. They said expect about 5-6 weeks for a decision, but I fount out I got waitlisted after about 3 weeks. Really, I would've been ok with them taking their time and coming up with a different answer.

Cool. Thanks for the info! Sorry about the WL, just got waitlisted at GW today so I feel your pain :-(.
 
I got an ii and I requested the 2/20 date, but I'm still waiting for an e-mail confirmation. I e-mailed a very polite inquiry asking when I may expect a confirmation, because I have to fly from the west coast to east coast. Did it take everyone else a while to confirm their interview? Should I book my plane tickets in advance or just continue to wait and see?
 
I got an ii and I requested the 2/20 date, but I'm still waiting for an e-mail confirmation. I e-mailed a very polite inquiry asking when I may expect a confirmation, because I have to fly from the west coast to east coast. Did it take everyone else a while to confirm their interview? Should I book my plane tickets in advance or just continue to wait and see?

How long ago did you email them? I wouldn't buy plane tickets before they confirm. If it's been a couple of days just send another polite email asking for a confirmation so that you can make necessary travel arrangements.
 
I got an ii and I requested the 2/20 date, but I'm still waiting for an e-mail confirmation. I e-mailed a very polite inquiry asking when I may expect a confirmation, because I have to fly from the west coast to east coast. Did it take everyone else a while to confirm their interview? Should I book my plane tickets in advance or just continue to wait and see?

You could also call, I'm sure they'd understand since you need to book a flight soon.
 
I booked the same date for the interview and I'm also flying in. Don't buy the ticket until you have confirmation, your date could be full, etc. It says it is supposed to take 2 business days. How many days has it been? Mine was confirmed 2 business days later. Pretty quick. Let them know of your urgency.
 
You could also call, I'm sure they'd understand since you need to book a flight soon.

I feel stupid for asking this, but is there a specific number I should call? When I checked the Rush Supplementary website (I'd check again to make sure, but looks like that site is down for nightly maintenance at this time), it stated something along the lines of 'due to the number of applicants, we no longer communicate via telephone, please e-mail us instead.' I mean, it might be worth a shot to call the main campus phone number anyway, unless that's poor etiquette.

How long ago did you email them? I wouldn't buy plane tickets before they confirm. If it's been a couple of days just send another polite email asking for a confirmation so that you can make necessary travel arrangements.

They were having issues with the calendar, and seemed to have fixed it on Monday 2/4. So I guess my request was formally made on 2/4. I e-mailed on Wed 2/6 and still haven't heard back from them. I suppose I'll e-mail them again in the morning. I'm unable to interview on the third Feb date (2/27) because I'm already scheduled to interview elsewhere. If only I had a spare clone lying around...
 
I feel stupid for asking this, but is there a specific number I should call? When I checked the Rush Supplementary website (I'd check again to make sure, but looks like that site is down for nightly maintenance at this time), it stated something along the lines of 'due to the number of applicants, we no longer communicate via telephone, please e-mail us instead.' I mean, it might be worth a shot to call the main campus phone number anyway, unless that's poor etiquette.



They were having issues with the calendar, and seemed to have fixed it on Monday 2/4. So I guess my request was formally made on 2/4. I e-mailed on Wed 2/6 and still haven't heard back from them. I suppose I'll e-mail them again in the morning. I'm unable to interview on the third Feb date (2/27) because I'm already scheduled to interview elsewhere. If only I had a spare clone lying around...


I'll PM you a phone #
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well gluck to you Irish! I interviewed at Stritch too and fell in love. For those who haven't heard from Rush yet (including myself), there is still hope. I have a friend who goes there that said she wasn't interviewed until late March. She applied late and was not a "stellar" applicant by SDN convention (this is what she said, not me).

Also, Rush, ironically, is also notorious for being late in the process. They have a pretty small staff taking care of this, so I wouldn't hold it against them.
 
Well gluck to you Irish! I interviewed at Stritch too and fell in love. For those who haven't heard from Rush yet (including myself), there is still hope. I have a friend who goes there that said she wasn't interviewed until late March. She applied late and was not a "stellar" applicant by SDN convention (this is what she said, not me).

Also, Rush, ironically, is also notorious for being late in the process. They have a pretty small staff taking care of this, so I wouldn't hold it against them.

Was she waitlisted or was she accepted initially?
 
Well gluck to you Irish! I interviewed at Stritch too and fell in love. For those who haven't heard from Rush yet (including myself), there is still hope. I have a friend who goes there that said she wasn't interviewed until late March. She applied late and was not a "stellar" applicant by SDN convention (this is what she said, not me).

Also, Rush, ironically, is also notorious for being late in the process. They have a pretty small staff taking care of this, so I wouldn't hold it against them.

She wasn't interviewed until late March, but when was she INVITED to interview? Probably in feb would be my guess.
 
Last edited:
She wasn't interviewed until late March, but when was she INVITED to interview? Probably in feb would be my guess.

I just received an II yesterday at Rush and I made my interview for next week. So she could have gotten her II in March. Then again I scheduled the interview as soon as I got the email!
 
lol I just noticed. I wonder why.

Agh sorry. I accidentally marked a sdn email as spam when I was trying to delete it. Apparently this is called sporking and they can ban you for up to 7 days for it!

Anyway, I was complete on 11/18
 
I interview tomorrow and I am super nervous. This is actually my last interview so you would think I would be the least nervous of all the others, but since it is my top school I am freaking out. Can anyone share a little about how their interview went, was it relaxed or nerve racking and how they felt about the interview day and the school as a whole? Thanks for any help SDNers! 😍
 
I interview tomorrow and I am super nervous. This is actually my last interview so you would think I would be the least nervous of all the others, but since it is my top school I am freaking out. Can anyone share a little about how their interview went, was it relaxed or nerve racking and how they felt about the interview day and the school as a whole? Thanks for any help SDNers! 😍

The interviews were really relaxed. Everyone has 1 open interview (the interviewer has access to your file) and 1 closed interview (they know very little about you). Both interviews were low stress conversations--definitely be familiar with your application and your experiences (of course). The rest of the day was great, too. You get a tour of the school and facilities and we also visited Cook County and the new Rush Hospital (you do clinicals at both). The students were really nice and Jill is great!

Best of luck!
 
The interviews were really relaxed. Everyone has 1 open interview (the interviewer has access to your file) and 1 closed interview (they know very little about you). Both interviews were low stress conversations--definitely be familiar with your application and your experiences (of course). The rest of the day was great, too. You get a tour of the school and facilities and we also visited Cook County and the new Rush Hospital (you do clinicals at both). The students were really nice and Jill is great!

Best of luck!

That sounds great, I'm super excited! Thanks for the info. I'm curious what the angle is with having 1 open and 1 closed file. I wonder what they are trying to learn about from that. Just my random thoughts though lol.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
anyone else complete in August still waiting for any communication? ugh its so frustrating I cannot talk to any staff about this....or get some sort of update...really thought I had competitive stats :-(
 
anyone else complete in August still waiting for any communication? ugh its so frustrating I cannot talk to any staff about this....or get some sort of update...really thought I had competitive stats :-(

+1 I wouldn't hold my breath though. There are so many qualified applicants you just have to hope your application passes through somebody who happens to take an interest in some part of your application. I'm pretty sure if a different person looked at my application at every school I'd have a completely different cycle.
 
Just got an II but both dates offered to me are in conflict with my schedule for finals and midterms. I email RMC. Was wondering who had the phone number to call and talk to them about trying to set up another date? Thanks!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.