2012-2013 Rush Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any current Rush students or anybody else know any information about how interview selections are determined at Rush? Adcoms voting/ranking system/screening done by individuals?
 
Any current Rush students or anybody else know any information about how interview selections are determined at Rush? Adcoms voting/ranking system/screening done by individuals?


This is something I know very little about, but I will ask around and see what information I find.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I casually asked in class and workshops today and noone seemed to really know haha

I do know theres a committee that meets haha I know med students can be on it... Ill bug an M2 sometime soon. They have a big exam though sooo it might not be an immediate reply.
 
Instead of doing something productive today, I worked out then baked then chatted way too much on facebook. So I thought you guys might get a kick out of our class and seeing how much we love spending time together (We voluntarily spend time together! A lot! Outside of class!)

So, uh, here are some fantastic quotes going on...
"I would just like to point out, if you guys ever want to grab my boob or something when listening to my heart sounds, I'm okay with that. It's only awkward if you want it to be." -A male MS1 (FYI, It's basically a given that you need to push the left boob outta the way... but for the most part there should be no grabbage haha It's real fun to learn how to do a basic physical)

"Today, I found out why my BFFAEAEAE will be my med school classmates. I will get to know what the inside of your ear looks like, what your blood pressure turbulence sounds like, and we'll both try really hard to pretend its totally normal for me to feel for your 2nd and 5th intercostal spaces while I listen for your APT M!"

Various events happening: Trivia night tomorrow at a bar, Salsa dancing was Saturday, a potluck on Friday followed by nearby bar action...


@IrishFootball: I asked an M2 and was told who to ask... so I'll ask my buddy manana. 🙂
 
So much fun haha

We see our first fake patients today and have an exam Friday in our clinical skills block. Monday we start cell bio.

I am currently in the computer lab having finished an ihuman case which is a cool website. I-human.com check it out if you are bored
 
haha I fb messaged him because I haven't seen him around but the M2s have been hitting the books hard for their Monday exam, and us M1s are sorta studying for our first exam Friday (ie, books open, read a page or five then watch hilarious youtube videos etc...).

I know that next week we get an info lunch on committees we can join, and med students can/are on the adcom.

Soooo obnoxious summary answer is: I hear your anxiety and stress and understand that a better understanding of admissions will alleviate those symptoms. I will discuss this with other medical professionals since I am just a first year medical student. Then I will return with more information and we can discuss it together.

I never realized how much doctors love summaries until this week.
 
Haha sounds good, thanks so much, take your time.


Woo hoo! Finally got an answer for ya.

The adcom reads the applications and picks people based primarily on the essay to come interview. They are looking for a dedication to community service and clinical experience. They want applicants who are well rounded, diverse and are dedicated to being good physicians (physicianship is HUGE!). A big emphasis is placed on community service.

The adcom is mainly faculty but there are a few med students. So essentially, they read your app and if they like you, they offer an interview.

I imagine their acceptance rate post-interview is pretty high, but I do not have a statistic.

I remember at my interview Jill said that they use the interview to make sure they like you- that the you on paper is the you on person essentially. They look for people who will mesh well with the Rush community.

So if you get a II, be ready to talk about your awesome experiences volunteering with the medically underserved, working with minorities, interactions with those of different cultures/backgrounds, why you think you will make a good physician, how you will make the 2017 class more awesome all in a humble, unassuming manner. 🙂

My interviews were very different haha My first one was having a conversation with him. My second asked me the most random questions. They wanted to get a sense of my personality and who I was. My interviewers wanted to see if I would fit in at Rush.


So that's basically it. Let me know if anything is unclear or if you have mas preguntas. I am more than okay with procrastinating studying haha

Also, if you're bored, look up rotationplasty. A group of us are going with a Rush doctor tomorrow to a school to discuss this procedure to prepare them for the return of one of their students. It's going to be awesome-- first outing in our white coats we got today!
 
Woo hoo! Finally got an answer for ya.

The adcom reads the applications and picks people based primarily on the essay to come interview. They are looking for a dedication to community service and clinical experience. They want applicants who are well rounded, diverse and are dedicated to being good physicians (physicianship is HUGE!). A big emphasis is placed on community service.

The adcom is mainly faculty but there are a few med students. So essentially, they read your app and if they like you, they offer an interview.

I imagine their acceptance rate post-interview is pretty high, but I do not have a statistic.

I remember at my interview Jill said that they use the interview to make sure they like you- that the you on paper is the you on person essentially. They look for people who will mesh well with the Rush community.

So if you get a II, be ready to talk about your awesome experiences volunteering with the medically underserved, working with minorities, interactions with those of different cultures/backgrounds, why you think you will make a good physician, how you will make the 2017 class more awesome all in a humble, unassuming manner. 🙂

My interviews were very different haha My first one was having a conversation with him. My second asked me the most random questions. They wanted to get a sense of my personality and who I was. My interviewers wanted to see if I would fit in at Rush.


So that's basically it. Let me know if anything is unclear or if you have mas preguntas. I am more than okay with procrastinating studying haha

Also, if you're bored, look up rotationplasty. A group of us are going with a Rush doctor tomorrow to a school to discuss this procedure to prepare them for the return of one of their students. It's going to be awesome-- first outing in our white coats we got today!

Thanks for the info! I like this system. I feel like I'm a good fit for Rush, hopefully they decide to interview me. haha
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
GraMaire, thank you so much for the info, that's a great insight into the process. Rush is at the very top of my list and I hope the adcom sees me as a great fit for their school.
 
I've been feeling the same way, going between feeling that everyone will want to interview me and then that nobody will (mostly the latter)
 
Okay, so here's a kind of random question for any current Rush students. I have noticed that the Rush Medical College website seems to be a little outdated and challenging to navigate as compared to other medical schools' websites. This doesn't change my opinion about the school, as I still think that it is absolutely amazing! However, I was wondering if medical students have to use the website to access things or fill out forms, etc. and if this makes things difficult. Also, is it a sign that certain Rush computing aspects for students can be challenging or annoying to use?
 
Okay, so here's a kind of random question for any current Rush students. I have noticed that the Rush Medical College website seems to be a little outdated and challenging to navigate as compared to other medical schools' websites. This doesn't change my opinion about the school, as I still think that it is absolutely amazing! However, I was wondering if medical students have to use the website to access things or fill out forms, etc. and if this makes things difficult. Also, is it a sign that certain Rush computing aspects for students can be challenging or annoying to use?

I personally do not have issues with it, but I am also not tech savvy. Blackboard has worked well, and that's what we have mostly used for class things.I haven't heard complaints about it, other than people disliking the email through Outlook, but you can still set up email forwarding. The only thing about that is, when you get to working with patients emails need to be only accessed within Rush firewalls because of HIPAA. I don't know how that compares to other schools.
 
How long does it take for Rush to receive the signature/proof of citizenship documents? I sent them in last Monday but they have not been marked as received yet.
 
I personally do not have issues with it, but I am also not tech savvy. Blackboard has worked well, and that's what we have mostly used for class things.I haven't heard complaints about it, other than people disliking the email through Outlook, but you can still set up email forwarding. The only thing about that is, when you get to working with patients emails need to be only accessed within Rush firewalls because of HIPAA. I don't know how that compares to other schools.

Good to hear, thanks!
 
I told jchap to come answer questions too or PM him.

Mauberly is an M2 but I dont know how much he checks SDN.
 
Coolest picture ever.
nisje2kugi2zamn29or8.png
 
Last edited:
👍

Sometimes I just wanna do a ridiculous dance and say to my friends at other schools, "My hospital is prettier than yours... Nananana boo boo anddddd its ranked two in all of Chicagoland nanannanana "

I have never actually done that because thatd be rude and childish sooo I just think it to myself. 😀
 
i still have the "your file is not complete" status...

i submitted the online app on 8/15 and i mailed out the required materials/check on 8/16 from CA. should i start worrying? i don't think it got lost in the mail, but you never know..

Edit: complete 9/4
 
Last edited:
👍

Sometimes I just wanna do a ridiculous dance and say to my friends at other schools, "My hospital is prettier than yours... Nananana boo boo anddddd its ranked two in all of Chicagoland nanannanana "

I have never actually done that because thatd be rude and childish sooo I just think it to myself. 😀

👍 :laugh:
 
i still have the "your file is not complete" status...

i submitted the online app on 8/15 and i mailed out the required materials/check on 8/16 from CA. should i start worrying? i don't think it got lost in the mail, but you never know..


They are receiving a lot of materials, so I would give it another two weeks. Look through the thread, and see if that's a reasonable estimate from the other applicants.

Last year, it took a month for mine to be marked complete in September.

Jill Volk and everyone else is ridiculously nice though, so if you called in a panic they will very kindly help you out. Just be polite and remember that thousands of other people are sending things in too.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From this thread it appears no II's have been sent out? Anyone heard any good news yet?

Don't quote me on this, but the Committee Information Session is tomorrow. So perhaps they are waiting to get a few M1's to join the admissions committee? This is a total guess.

Last year the first wave of II was 9/10, with interviews starting end of Sept.

Interviews run from Sept. to I think March. I didn't get a II until December, and they definitely accepted people throughout the entire interview season.

A video of one of my awesome classmates, Joe. http://rushinperson.rush.edu/2012/08/28/m1-a-students-journey-through-medical-school/

The blog also has a video of DRose and his recovery from an ACL injury. If you didn't know this already, Rush is the orthopedic care center for the White Sox and Bulls.
 
Don't quote me on this, but the Committee Information Session is tomorrow. So perhaps they are waiting to get a few M1's to join the admissions committee? This is a total guess.

Last year the first wave of II was 9/10, with interviews starting end of Sept.

Interviews run from Sept. to I think March. I didn't get a II until December, and they definitely accepted people throughout the entire interview season.

A video of one of my awesome classmates, Joe. http://rushinperson.rush.edu/2012/08/28/m1-a-students-journey-through-medical-school/

The blog also has a video of DRose and his recovery from an ACL injury. If you didn't know this already, Rush is the orthopedic care center for the White Sox and Bulls.

Do they have M1's do interviews? I feel it would be a little premature to have a first year student judge whether or not an applicant would fit in the student body, when they are only just getting acquainted themselves, no?

(no offense, I'm sure you're all fine people!! 🙂 )
 
Do they have M1's do interviews? I feel it would be a little premature to have a first year student judge whether or not an applicant would fit in the student body, when they are only just getting acquainted themselves, no?

(no offense, I'm sure you're all fine people!! 🙂 )

No offense taken haha! Although I think our M2s have done an excellent job at helping us get comfortable, and our class is already pretty darn close (We're obsessed with each other. For. Realz.). That is not to say I want to be conducting admissions interviews yet at all though 🙂 Eventually.... muhahaha
I believe M1s help sort through the papers essentially and read the essays etc. I'm 90% sure I'm learning more on this tomorrow (they're even giving us free lunch sooooo I'll definitely be there... MS are allllll about free food).

Most interviewers are faculty members, and I believe only M4 (and some M3) students interview.
 
Last edited:
No offense taken haha! Although I think our M2s have done an excellent job at helping us get comfortable, and our class is already pretty darn close (We're obsessed with each other. For. Realz.). That is not to say I want to be conducting admissions interviews yet at all though 🙂 Eventually.... muhahaha
I believe M1s help sort through the papers essentially and read the essays etc. I'm 90% sure I'm learning more on this tomorrow (they're even giving us free lunch sooooo I'll definitely be there... MS are allllll about free food).

Most interviewers are faculty members, and I believe only M4 (and some M3) students interview.

Free lunch? What time should I be there?? :laugh:😍
 
Free lunch? What time should I be there?? :laugh:😍

🙂 They have fed us so much. It's so wonderful. We had a "fiesta" today for Fall into Rush to learn more about and sign up for student organizations. Those tamales were muy deliciosos.

B T Dubs, there's a student org for legit everything it seemed and TONS of volunteering opportunities.
 
🙂 They have fed us so much. It's so wonderful. We had a "fiesta" today for Fall into Rush to learn more about and sign up for student organizations. Those tamales were muy deliciosos.

B T Dubs, there's a student org for legit everything it seemed and TONS of volunteering opportunities.

Omg, now I really really want an interview!!! I WANT TO GO TO A FIESTA.
 
im OOS, but have not received anything from email about secondary. Primary verified in July. Do i need an invite to submit secondary?? I'm just really confused, this is the only secondary i have not officially received yet.

Thanks for any help
 
im OOS, but have not received anything from email about secondary. Primary verified in July. Do i need an invite to submit secondary?? I'm just really confused, this is the only secondary i have not officially received yet.

Thanks for any help

In the email I got, they said that they screen for at least a 3.0 GPA and 27 MCAT. Not sure if that will hold you up or not.
 
Okay a little more info on the adcom.

M1&2 each have one student rep while M3&4 have two reps each.
M1s historically have not had voting power but this might change this year because elections are much sooner. The M1 learns about admissions and their opinion counts. M1rep helps go through the secondary apps essentially.

The upperclassmen actually conduct interviews (i think m2 rep is with another student but Im not positive) and have voting power for selection.

All student reps assist with screening and reviewing the applicants. The adcom meets weekly from October to March.

This is all the info(including my previous post which was after talking to the M2 adcommer , use the search function) I can/will get basically. Just focus on making your secondary stand out. Emphasize service and clinical aspects. Make them know why you will be an excellent clinical physician. Best of luck !

Feel free to PM me with specific questions on Rush/Chicago (not regarding admissions though because I have zero say on that🙂 ).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Awesome GraMaire! You are for the Rush thread what NickNaylor is for the UChicago thread.



Its because we both have the app haha Having it on my phone makes it easy. Also last year I asked maubs (one of my fave people, ftr its weird to know people in real life from SDN lol) sooooo many questions so I understand the need.

Also I think transparency is something all schools could use more of. Ie if they screen at 9's or 10's or whatever they should be upfront and let people save money. i think Rush does a decent job of letting people know what they look for if people put forth the effort to find out.
 
Its because we both have the app haha Having it on my phone makes it easy. Also last year I asked maubs (one of my fave people, ftr its weird to know people in real life from SDN lol) sooooo many questions so I understand the need.

Also I think transparency is something all schools could use more of. Ie if they screen at 9's or 10's or whatever they should be upfront and let people save money. i think Rush does a decent job of letting people know what they look for if people put forth the effort to find out.

Do you know if Rush does have a section score screening number? I find it interesting that any school would put their screen at 9 or 10. I realize that schools do because they can, but is this about getting good med students or good MCAT takers? In my case, I have a great MCAT overall but my verbal is an 8. I would hate to think that my application would get thrown in the reject pile without an overall review simply because of that one section. This may happen at top tier schools and it's to be expected, must keep those numbers up to retain a good image😎. I also think my application is very strong besides that one number. Anyway it bugs me because I got a 13 in VR on AAMC 11 three days before my real test. The MCAT is variable! Rant over.
 
Hahahahaha

"They do not have a minimum subscore but they do like a balanced overall score a lot."-- the text from my upperclassman friend who is on the adcom
 
anyone know how to call the adcoms? my status continues to be incomplete and it looks like only one letter was downloaded.. though amcas says they sent two? tried emailing.. no luck! I really want to interview here but can't seem to get through by phone..
 
Status
Not open for further replies.