2012-2013 Saint Louis University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone I just withdrew my application from SLU. There should be a October 9th interview spot opening up today if anyone wants it. Good luck with the application cycle!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it common to be complete pretty early here and get an interview later in the season? Or is it one of those schools where after they pass you up you're kinda SOL?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Me, too. I rationalized that I'd rather get it in sooner than take the time to blow smoke. I don't think it hurts too much. They honestly have so much to read as it is.

I recently interviewed at SLU and a few other interviewees said they had left it blank, so I guess it doesn't hurt too much.
 
3.7, 31, OOS, non-trad, interviewd 10/1.

My interview was soooooooo chill. I expected to be grilled on questions, but it actually turned out to be a conversation about why SLU and the area. It was my first interview, so I was super nervous, but I soon realized that I really had no reason to be. GL everyone else!

Just thought I'd share.
 
How did you guys respond to why SLU and why St. Louis?
To be honest, I don't really see St. Louis as an awesome place, but I wouldn't mind living there...
 
3.7, 31, OOS, non-trad, interviewd 10/1.

My interview was soooooooo chill. I expected to be grilled on questions, but it actually turned out to be a conversation about why SLU and the area. It was my first interview, so I was super nervous, but I soon realized that I really had no reason to be. GL everyone else!

Just thought I'd share.

I expected it to be chill, but not that chill. I think the only "serious" questions I was asked were what my plan B was, and a couple questions about activities on my app. Other than that, we pretty much just talked about my interests outside of medicine. I didn't even get asked "why medicine" or "why SLU."

How did you guys respond to why SLU and why St. Louis?
To be honest, I don't really see St. Louis as an awesome place, but I wouldn't mind living there...

St.Louis is surprisingly awesome for a midwest city. Tons of stuff to do, beautiful park (Forest Park), and great food. As for why SLU, I really like the Jesuit influences, and my visit confirmed even more that the students and faculty are just plain awesome. Everyone was so incredibly friendly.
 
We care about how you interact with people. Having you recite contrived answers about SLU when you're going to do the same for any school you go to isn't helpful. Knowing that you know how to make eye contact and shake hands warmly is more important and can't be conveyed by your app.
 
I expected it to be chill, but not that chill. I think the only "serious" questions I was asked were what my plan B was, and a couple questions about activities on my app. Other than that, we pretty much just talked about my interests outside of medicine. I didn't even get asked "why medicine" or "why SLU."



St.Louis is surprisingly awesome for a midwest city. Tons of stuff to do, beautiful park (Forest Park), and great food. As for why SLU, I really like the Jesuit influences, and my visit confirmed even more that the students and faculty are just plain awesome. Everyone was so incredibly friendly.

Just out of curiosity, what is your religious belief if you don't mind?
 
Just out of curiosity, what is your religious belief if you don't mind?

I was raised Catholic, but I would consider myself just a non-denominational Christian, if not kind of agnostic. I really like the jesuit focus on challenging ideas and focusing on the "whole person."
 
FYI SLU's curriculum is changing next year.

Yeah, they talked a bit about that. I don't think they were totally changing it, just adjusting things. If there's a current student hanging around this thread, that would be a helpful thing for them to comment on 😉
 
Yeah, they talked a bit about that. I don't think they were totally changing it, just adjusting things. If there's a current student hanging around this thread, that would be a helpful thing for them to comment on 😉

They're adding two classes to Phase 2, one (maybe both, not sure) will be taken at the end of MS1. One is a behavioral studies class, the other is Hematology. M1-M2 Summer is being shortened to 10 weeks (down from 11). They are adding time for 2 elective rotations during M3. Currently there isn't time for any. They are also integrating FM into IM and Peds to make time for those electives. Currently M3s do 12 weeks on IM, 8 weeks on Peds, and 6 weeks on FM. They've also added a bit more requirements to the M4 year.
 
They're adding two classes to Phase 2, one (maybe both, not sure) will be taken at the end of MS1. One is a behavioral studies class, the other is Hematology. M1-M2 Summer is being shortened to 10 weeks (down from 11). They are adding time for 2 elective rotations during M3. Currently there isn't time for any. They are also integrating FM into IM and Peds to make time for those electives. Currently M3s do 12 weeks on IM, 8 weeks on Peds, and 6 weeks on FM. They've also added a bit more requirements to the M4 year.

I really liked the additional time for doing electives. Seems like a great idea.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
love the changes, wish i had them as a ms-1 and I honestly think they will only strengthen the curriculum
 
I don't know anything, but I'd assume no interviews on Monday, it'll bea busy day. Do the call, email or snail mail you your fate?
 
Email usually, also, there are interviews scheduled for tomorrow
 
Last edited:
Really. I guess that makes sense. Everything would have been decided by Friday most likely I suppose.
 
When I was there we were told our decisions would be made on October 3, so I'd assume they'd send them out on Monday. Not sure if they do calls.
I remember being told the same thing, decisions would be made by Oct 3. I interviewed Sept 11.
 
I remember being told the same thing, decisions would be made by Oct 3. I interviewed Sept 11.

Same here (I also interviewed on 9/11). The Application Process page of SLU's site states that "Communications will be sent via e-mail." It's going to be nerve wracking watching that inbox. :xf:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone bold enough to call the admissions office and ask when decisions will be released? (I'm not) 🙁
 
I remember being told the same thing, decisions would be made by Oct 3. I interviewed Sept 11.

Same here (I also interviewed on 9/11). The Application Process page of SLU's site states that "Communications will be sent via e-mail." It's going to be nerve wracking watching that inbox. :xf:

Same here, actually. Nothing on my end yet - anyone else hear anything?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.