-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 Saint Louis University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Accepted here as well!!!! Interviewed end of October.
The only thing we have to do to hold our spot is to print out the form, sign it and include the deposit, correct? We don't have to reply to the email or anything of that sort?
Yup.
And congrats
If they make a pre-holiday push to get out some decisions I bet 11/26 could possible hear before the break, though I'm not sure when they 'close' for the holiday season.
There won't be any kind of "pre-holiday push." Adcom meetings will involve the typical number of applicants reviewed. The last meeting before the holidays will be next week and then there will be a two week break. Anyone who interviewed on 11/26 won't hear back next week, although a few applicants who interviewed after that date may hear back next week.
Does anyone know if rejections/wait list are sent via email or snail mail?
Everything is done via email.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there a certain day of the week when acceptances go out? Thanks!
Is there a certain day of the week when acceptances go out? Thanks!
If you read through this tread, Thursday has been mentioned a few times.
Interviewed here Oct 30th and haven't received any change in status. Seems like people have heard back that interviewed early November. Should I be worried? (Emailed admis office and received a generic we will notify you when a decision is made). Can anybody shed some light on this? Love this school and would go in a heartbeat.
It all depends on when your interviewer turns in their paperwork. Unfortunately it can vary by several weeks.
What is this whole interviewer turning in paperwork business, in terms of when a decision is made? And how do I know if my interviewer has turned in paperwork on my behalf?
I don't think it reflects a weak interview at all. I think it just depends on how busy your interviewer is. From my understanding, the committee makes a decision on you as soon as your stuff is in, and they notify you whether you are accepted or wait listed via email right away.
What is this whole interviewer turning in paperwork business, in terms of when a decision is made? And how do I know if my interviewer has turned in paperwork on my behalf?
am i being a pessimist or would an interviewer turning in paperwork later signify a weaker interview? its been over 6 weeks now... fml lol
Interviewed here Oct 30th and haven't received any change in status. Seems like people have heard back that interviewed early November. Should I be worried? (Emailed admis office and received a generic we will notify you when a decision is made). Can anybody shed some light on this? Love this school and would go in a heartbeat.
Your interviewer has to "present" you to the other board members (and be prepared for it). That requires prep time and work. Some interviewers are faster than others. Not to mention that only so many applicants can be reviewed at a given committee meeting, considering everyone has other responsibilities, too. Long story short, when you hear back has no bearing on your chances of being accepted.
Last edited:
Interviewed here Oct 30th and haven't received any change in status. Seems like people have heard back that interviewed early November. Should I be worried? (Emailed admis office and received a generic we will notify you when a decision is made). Can anybody shed some light on this? Love this school and would go in a heartbeat.
I interviewed here November 6th- My interviewer explicitly told me it's normally 4-6 weeks, but that the admissions committee in general has been very behind. so don't worry! It sounds like they've been backed up for quite a while in terms of sending out acceptances. I haven't heard back either.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When paperwork on my behalf has been turned in, how will I know? Do I get an email or a change in status?
When paperwork on my behalf has been turned in, how will I know? Do I get an email or a change in status?
You will get an email that says you were either accepted or waitlisted (or "alternate listed").
II just now! My stats are on my MDapps profile.
having a problem accessing the dates so I can't tell you guys what is available.. Anyone else find a gap between the II email and actually being able to find the tab on the application site??
having a problem accessing the dates so I can't tell you guys what is available.. Anyone else find a gap between the II email and actually being able to find the tab on the application site??
Last edited:
II just now! My stats are on my MDapps profile.
having a problem accessing the dates so I can't tell you guys what is available.. Anyone else find a gap between the II email and actually being able to find the tab on the application site??
II just now too. Congrats fellow Canadian!
I already scheculed my date. The tab is on the bottom left of the page.
II just now too. Congrats fellow Canadian!
I already scheculed my date. The tab is on the bottom left of the page.
Hmm.. Odd.. I still don't see it. And my Status page still only says "Application Complete". I gave them a call and they said they'll get back to me.. Could you let me know what dates were available by any chance? (PM or here)
The mean score on USMLE Step 1 for SLU students this past year was 231, the highest recorded mean score in the school's history and the failure rate on this exam was less than half the national average.
This. Proud of my school and the training it provides. I know I am ready to go for residency and its because SLU does a great job teaching its students how to get it done
II just now too. Congrats fellow Canadian!
I already scheculed my date. The tab is on the bottom left of the page.
Congrats, when were you complete?
Hey guys, does anyone know the #interviewed/#accepted ratio?
Don't remember exact numbers, but I believe it is just over 50%
Hmm.. Odd.. I still don't see it. And my Status page still only says "Application Complete". I gave them a call and they said they'll get back to me.. Could you let me know what dates were available by any chance? (PM or here)
At the time I signed up there were Jan 15, 22, 28, 29, and I think Feb 4.
Congrats, when were you complete?
I was complete at the end of July. I'm a reapplicatant and I actually interviewed at SLU last cycle, but was eventually waitlisted. Last year I received the II around the same time.
For you fellow Canadians, I believe SLU requires money up front, and they don't have any scholarships for foreigners, so here is the best option I found (unless you happen to have a boat of cash):
http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/student/medical-dental/
http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/student/medical-dental/
For you fellow Canadians, I believe SLU requires money up front, and they don't have any scholarships for foreigners, so here is the best option I found (unless you happen to have a boat of cash):
http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/student/medical-dental/
That's great -- one question though, are you sure they are offering that for Canadians attending US institutions? Some banks have that as a stipulation.
Hmmm, good question. I do not know, but I don't think it would be an issue. Do you know what banks don't allow it? My friend used TD to attend BU and he said it was easy to get the money, but only needed a year upfront. I won't be asking in person until I get an acceptance, but I hope RBC's is good for US, since other banks I looked at only offered 200-225.
Also congrats on the ii. I saw UBC didn't show you love (I don't think anyone understands their selection criteria) but SLU is a pretty cool place. I interviewed in the children's hospital, and would recommend having a walk around it; its a really nice atmosphere. Plus the weather will hopefully be a little better than the constant rain here in BC! Although I shouldnt complain since I am on the island and don't have it as bad as the lower mainland.
Also congrats on the ii. I saw UBC didn't show you love (I don't think anyone understands their selection criteria) but SLU is a pretty cool place. I interviewed in the children's hospital, and would recommend having a walk around it; its a really nice atmosphere. Plus the weather will hopefully be a little better than the constant rain here in BC! Although I shouldnt complain since I am on the island and don't have it as bad as the lower mainland.
Hmmm, good question. I do not know, but I don't think it would be an issue. Do you know what banks don't allow it? My friend used TD to attend BU and he said it was easy to get the money, but only needed a year upfront. I won't be asking in person until I get an acceptance, but I hope RBC's is good for US, since other banks I looked at only offered 200-225.
Also congrats on the ii. I saw UBC didn't show you love (I don't think anyone understands their selection criteria) but SLU is a pretty cool place. I interviewed in the children's hospital, and would recommend having a walk around it; its a really nice atmosphere. Plus the weather will hopefully be a little better than the constant rain here in BC! Although I shouldnt complain since I am on the island and don't have it as bad as the lower mainland.
TD bank does state they offer services (with a co-signer) if attending outside Canada. I believe CIBC is an example where they specifically mention attending a Canadian institution.. although I don't know if you asked whether they would budge. Royal doesn't seem to indicate, so perhaps it can go either way.
As to UBC -- that one really stung. I've been involved in a bunch of stuff at UBC and thought they could appreciate my research background, but I've come to realize it's not what they're looking for and my first intuition (that I was not a good fit for them, or they for me), was correct. In hindsight, it doesn't surprise me. I just thought I would for sure at least get an interview. So much for that!
Excited and nervous about SLU.. lots to read up on and to prepare for, but it's nice to get some positive news for a change. 🙂.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, does anyone know the #interviewed/#accepted ratio?
We interview 900-1000 applicants and eventually accept 450-500 of them.
Yes, you can withdraw and receive a refund if notified by May 15th. Congrats!Hey guys, stupid question, but you have to submit the deposit to hold your spot, but can you still withdraw by May 15?
No one heard anything post-interview this week?
No one heard anything post-interview this week?
I bet they're off for the holidays. Not that I would expect my decision anytime soon with a December interview 😛
interviewedd 10/29 and havent heard back yet. sigh...
I bet they're off for the holidays. Not that I would expect my decision anytime soon with a December interview 😛
The committee met this past Wednesday. They won't meet again until the second week of January.
To those who have been accepted, does SLU require you to finish any programs you are currently enrolled in (like a masters program)? Also, does SLU accept C- grades? I am non-traditional and received a C- way back in undergrad and am trying to decide if it is worth spending the $$ to retake the course
To those who have been accepted, does SLU require you to finish any programs you are currently enrolled in (like a masters program)? Also, does SLU accept C- grades? I am non-traditional and received a C- way back in undergrad and am trying to decide if it is worth spending the $$ to retake the course
Was the course a pre-req?
Was the course a pre-req?
Yes, a genchem. I have since completed 20+ upper level science courses. I am trying to figure out if I would need to go back and repeat the course
Yes, a genchem. I have since completed 20+ upper level science courses. I am trying to figure out if I would need to go back and repeat the course
I would just call the admissions office to be safe.
Here's a question: I was accepted and sent in my deposit. I was so excited I neglected to ask about a line in the acceptance e-mail that now has me thinking. It reads:
In my primary application I indicated that I would take Genetics and a math course this spring. I did this to cover my bases for some other schools that require them--SLU does not. In my secondary, I stated that I would take Genetics.
I'd rather not take these courses as a) I don't think they'll add much to my overall learning and b) I am already working more than full time to save money for summer travel and would like to relax a little before the big push next year.
Has anyone else been in this situation?
"We expect also that you will adhere to the plan of studies that you have indicated."
In my primary application I indicated that I would take Genetics and a math course this spring. I did this to cover my bases for some other schools that require them--SLU does not. In my secondary, I stated that I would take Genetics.
I'd rather not take these courses as a) I don't think they'll add much to my overall learning and b) I am already working more than full time to save money for summer travel and would like to relax a little before the big push next year.
Has anyone else been in this situation?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
.
Last edited:
Here's a question: I was accepted and sent in my deposit. I was so excited I neglected to ask about a line in the acceptance e-mail that now has me thinking. It reads:
In my primary application I indicated that I would take Genetics and a math course this spring. I did this to cover my bases for some other schools that require them--SLU does not. In my secondary, I stated that I would take Genetics.
I'd rather not take these courses as a) I don't think they'll add much to my overall learning and b) I am already working more than full time to save money for summer travel and would like to relax a little before the big push next year.
Has anyone else been in this situation?
It sounds like you'll just need to call the admissions office to find out. I doubt they would rescind your acceptance if you didn't take the courses, but you better call just in case. Congrats on your acceptance.
Here's a question: I was accepted and sent in my deposit. I was so excited I neglected to ask about a line in the acceptance e-mail that now has me thinking. It reads:
In my primary application I indicated that I would take Genetics and a math course this spring. I did this to cover my bases for some other schools that require them--SLU does not. In my secondary, I stated that I would take Genetics.
I'd rather not take these courses as a) I don't think they'll add much to my overall learning and b) I am already working more than full time to save money for summer travel and would like to relax a little before the big push next year.
Has anyone else been in this situation?
It sounds like you'll just need to call the admissions office to find out. I doubt they would rescind your acceptance if you don't take the courses, but you better call just in case. Congrats on your acceptance.
Last edited:
Here's a question: I was accepted and sent in my deposit. I was so excited I neglected to ask about a line in the acceptance e-mail that now has me thinking. It reads:
In my primary application I indicated that I would take Genetics and a math course this spring. I did this to cover my bases for some other schools that require them--SLU does not. In my secondary, I stated that I would take Genetics.
I'd rather not take these courses as a) I don't think they'll add much to my overall learning and b) I am already working more than full time to save money for summer travel and would like to relax a little before the big push next year.
Has anyone else been in this situation?
I dropped a course last year after acceptance. I just sent in an email letting them know my plan and it was all OK
Hey, can anyone who was accepted let me know if they submitted a post-interview LOI/update? I'm thinking of sending one but I'm not sure if they accept updates or if it would help.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.