2012-2013 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone who was deferred receive the background check email? Aside from a phone call how did you know if you were deferred or accepted? Email? Snail mail? Website? I interviewed in early December and received background check email on the 16th but have not heard anything else.

Email in December and snail mail in January. Got the background check because I have other acceptances.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile
 
Nice. Congrats. What happened with the mcat if you don't mind me asking? Clearly you have the GPA to prove you can do well on it.
edit: I ask because the word around here is that high gpa and low mcat is very rare, per lizzym.

No worries I understand it is unusual! Unfortunately a few days before my Thursday exam I was notified that my mom might have breast cancer and needed a biopsy on Friday. This was the one year she almost missed her annual mammogram and I just had a hard time keeping it together. Thankfully she is fine! 😍 I was planning on retaking it next year, i honestly didnt want to apply, but I'm thrilled with this acceptance and can hardly believe it sometimes!😱

I hope you hear good news soon!🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It is expensive, but the area isn't too bad to live in price-wise. If I'd had other interviews, I suppose I would be comparing prices...
 
Hatrick! Deferred until February. Received letter via snail mail.

I'm concerned that they filled IS spots already 🙁

hey, did you receive a background check by any chance? im wondering if people who received the background check were deferred or not.

also what is snail mail, lol? Thanks!
 
Hi all URGENT QUESTION:

I have an interview scheduled for the 23rd and have also gotten a host. Long story short, after a few weeks of trying to move another interview I have in the area on the 30th to a closer time (and other things my family was dealing with) we finally decided to go ahead and book the plane today. The downside is: 1) The ticket will now cost $1000 instead of the average $300 it normally should, and 2) I'll be missing Tues and Thurs of the same classes + work because there are no more available arriving the same day. This is really not the best situation for me and I'd rather cancel.
Since their offices are closed today and I can only call tomorrow, how horrendous would it be for me to cancel and ask to reschedule the day before??
 
Hi all URGENT QUESTION:

I have an interview scheduled for the 23rd and have also gotten a host. Long story short, after a few weeks of trying to move another interview I have in the area on the 30th to a closer time (and other things my family was dealing with) we finally decided to go ahead and book the plane today. The downside is: 1) The ticket will now cost $1000 instead of the average $300 it normally should, and 2) I'll be missing Tues and Thurs of the same classes + work because there are no more available arriving the same day. This is really not the best situation for me and I'd rather cancel.
Since their offices are closed today and I can only call tomorrow, how horrendous would it be for me to cancel and ask to reschedule the day before??

Explain how expensive the flight is I'm sure they'll understand
 
Hi all URGENT QUESTION:

I have an interview scheduled for the 23rd and have also gotten a host. Long story short, after a few weeks of trying to move another interview I have in the area on the 30th to a closer time (and other things my family was dealing with) we finally decided to go ahead and book the plane today. The downside is: 1) The ticket will now cost $1000 instead of the average $300 it normally should, and 2) I'll be missing Tues and Thurs of the same classes + work because there are no more available arriving the same day. This is really not the best situation for me and I'd rather cancel.
Since their offices are closed today and I can only call tomorrow, how horrendous would it be for me to cancel and ask to reschedule the day before??

Seems like a difficult situations but I think they are understanding. As long as you explain what happened you should be able to move it...I'm guessing it won't be to a close date though. Just be really apologetic!
 
Explain how expensive the flight is I'm sure they'll understand

Seems like a difficult situations but I think they are understanding. As long as you explain what happened you should be able to move it...I'm guessing it won't be to a close date though. Just be really apologetic!

Thank you for the help. I ended up deciding to call early tomorrow morning and cancel. I don't think I'll even need to put any act on for how apologetic I am. This is a mess and I genuinely hope they'll forgive (and forget when reviewing me!)
 
As an OOS student, tuition at TCMC is average, actually it is lower than some of the other schools I received interviews from (based on OOS tuition per year from the MSAR):

Ohio State: cheapest because they allow you to become in-state after 1 yr (tuition $28,000)
UM: $40,492
AE: $44,140
IU: $46,719
TCMC: $49,170
UMDNJ: $53,711
EVMS: $56,697
MSU: $59,220
UIC: $73,428 (OUTRAGEOUS! I would only consider going here if I am accepted into the MD-PhD program, even though I'm in the running for the MD program as well)


Although these numbers are from MSAR and may not be completely accurate for this year, they are in the ball-park. TCMC actually makes sense for me since I didn't interview at any of my state public schools where I would have in-state tuition. I wouldn't base my decision on tuition, but it is definitely a factor to consider.
 
Wait, I thought decisions didn't come out until Feb 27? Is there a chance those interviewed on 1/9 might get a decision today?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you don't hear today it means they did not get to your file so you will hear in Feb. I was deferred and the letter I received said I will hear today (Jan 22). I doubt 1/9 interviews will hear today but who knows
 
Thank you for the help. I ended up deciding to call early tomorrow morning and cancel. I don't think I'll even need to put any act on for how apologetic I am. This is a mess and I genuinely hope they'll forgive (and forget when reviewing me!)

I think it is really ****ty to do that in my opinion. Do you know how many of us would have killed to move up our interview day? Now it can't even go to one of us waiting for an earlier spot because you are not even giving them 24 hours notice. How rude.
 
For those that were accepted this past week. Have you received anything in writing (email/letter) about your acceptance and the steps that need to be taken? I only got a phone call. I assumed that they would follow up with emails, but I haven't gotten anything. Maybe it went to spam? Or are they suppose to send them out tomorrow since Jan 22nd was the official release date? If I don't get anything by tomorrow I will call them. Also, I didn't get the certiphi email. Is it because I had already done the background check so they do not need me to resubmit? We don't fill it out for each school or release it to each school? I know these are a lot of questions but I work all day tomorrow and if somebody can let me know to save a lot of time calling the whole world... that would be awesome :banana:
 
For those that were accepted this past week. Have you received anything in writing (email/letter) about your acceptance and the steps that need to be taken? I only got a phone call. I assumed that they would follow up with emails, but I haven't gotten anything. Maybe it went to spam? Or are they suppose to send them out tomorrow since Jan 22nd was the official release date? If I don't get anything by tomorrow I will call them. Also, I didn't get the certiphi email. Is it because I had already done the background check so they do not need me to resubmit? We don't fill it out for each school or release it to each school? I know these are a lot of questions but I work all day tomorrow and if somebody can let me know to save a lot of time calling the whole world... that would be awesome :banana:

TCMC will e-mail & mail their official decision. I am not sure about the release date but if you received the phone call then you are set. The official (and personalized) e-mail should come your way soon.

Re certiphi: I am note very sure about it but I think that you don't need to resubmit. To be on the safe side you could always go back to certiphi and hit "submit" again. 😕

Congratulations on your acceptance!!
 
For those that were accepted this past week. Have you received anything in writing (email/letter) about your acceptance and the steps that need to be taken? I only got a phone call. I assumed that they would follow up with emails, but I haven't gotten anything. Maybe it went to spam? Or are they suppose to send them out tomorrow since Jan 22nd was the official release date? If I don't get anything by tomorrow I will call them. Also, I didn't get the certiphi email. Is it because I had already done the background check so they do not need me to resubmit? We don't fill it out for each school or release it to each school? I know these are a lot of questions but I work all day tomorrow and if somebody can let me know to save a lot of time calling the whole world... that would be awesome :banana:

Just got off the phone with admissions at TCMC. There was basically a little administrative hiccup that kept them from emailing their decisions. The lady I spoke with assured me (us) that we will be notified no later than Friday of this week. Good news, right? I wish I knew already but still, it's nice knowing what's going on.

Good luck to all.
 
Turns out they are sending out decisions this week! Just received the acceptance call from TCMC!!! Interviewed 12/7, IS student 3.39cGPA 33MCAT. Best of luck to everyone!
 
Turns out they are sending out decisions this week! Just received the acceptance call from TCMC!!! Interviewed 12/7, IS student 3.39cGPA 33MCAT. Best of luck to everyone!

Congratulations my possible fellow classmate! 😛


Looks like maybe they are getting to IS students now since most acceptances from last week were OOS.

Now I'm waiting for my e-mail/letter in the mail soon just for reassurance! 🙂

Edit: Just received my e-mail!
 
Last edited:
Congrats to all accepted! Thank you for the responses. I received the formal acceptance email today. I haven't received the certiphi email again so I assume no problem there.
 
Did anyone get a weird email over the weekend asking them to submit their secondary? I have already interviewed so I am assuming it's just a glitch but am wondering if I should email someone at Commonwealth to clarify?
 
Did anyone get a weird email over the weekend asking them to submit their secondary? I have already interviewed so I am assuming it's just a glitch but am wondering if I should email someone at Commonwealth to clarify?

yup got that email as well

accepted btw 3.4 gpa 29 mcat oos
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone get a weird email over the weekend asking them to submit their secondary? I have already interviewed so I am assuming it's just a glitch but am wondering if I should email someone at Commonwealth to clarify?
I got that email too. I already have an interview set up. I emailed admissions and they said it was not sent from anyone at TCMC. So if anyone else got this email do not reply.
 
I got that email too. I already have an interview set up. I emailed admissions and they said it was not sent from anyone at TCMC. So if anyone else got this email do not reply.

It's unfortunate that in their subsequent apology email they did not even blind copy the recipients! A bit of a clerical oversight...:smack:
 
Did anyone start a facebook group for accepted student to start looking for housing/roommates?
 
EnergyDrink said:
Not until they officially waitlist you.

So I have to pray I get waitlisted to send them a LOI? I was thinking of sending a LOI before they make a final decision.
 
Anyone stayed at RED CARPET INN AND SUITES SCRAN? It is cheaper than other two hotel suggested by TCMC. Please give me pro and cons of staying there.

Lol there seems to be many more cons than pros with that place. My buddy and I were looking into it for our interviews. But if it's just for a night I figured it can't be too bad.
 
Lol there seems to be many more cons than pros with that place. My buddy and I were looking into it for our interviews. But if it's just for a night I figured it can't be too bad.

do elaborate.

on another note it is crazy expensive for me to fly into wilkes barre... at least where i am coming from.. eeks.. what to do...???
 
Last edited:
do elaborate.

on another note it is crazy expensive for me to fly into wilkes barre... at least where i am coming from.. eeks.. what to do...???

edit: OK so I'm pretty desperate... if anyone drops an interview date, PLEASE PM me... the date I have will cost me about $1000 and I have no idea why.. maybe searching that date too much?? I might have to drop the date altogether if I can't find some $$.. or a different day? I have a date in Feb, would even be willing to swap out with someone in March....

It's probably expensive because you're flying into a small airport 🙁 Did you look up flying into the Philadelphia airport and then taking a bus from Philly to Scranton? It's up to you if the lower cost is worth the hassle of the bus. (The Greyhound bus goes from Philly-->Scranton) good luck!
 
It's probably expensive because you're flying into a small airport 🙁 Did you look up flying into the Philadelphia airport and then taking a bus from Philly to Scranton? It's up to you if the lower cost is worth the hassle of the bus. (The Greyhound bus goes from Philly-->Scranton) good luck!

Yes thank you. Flying to philly is way cheaper.. I do think b/c of the airport size. I guess I need to figure out logistics and will probably do the bus option at this point ($80)..

Anyone know if Greyhound connects to the Philly airport though? I've never taken one in my life so I guess it would be an experience.
 
do elaborate.

on another note it is crazy expensive for me to fly into wilkes barre... at least where i am coming from.. eeks.. what to do...???

edit: OK so I'm pretty desperate... if anyone drops an interview date, PLEASE PM me... the date I have will cost me about $1000 and I have no idea why.. maybe searching that date too much?? I might have to drop the date altogether if I can't find some $$.. or a different day? I have a date in Feb, would even be willing to swap out with someone in March....

What day are you scheduled for? I'm on March 11 right now, but might be willing to switch if I can make it. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
do elaborate.

on another note it is crazy expensive for me to fly into wilkes barre... at least where i am coming from.. eeks.. what to do...???

edit: OK so I'm pretty desperate... if anyone drops an interview date, PLEASE PM me... the date I have will cost me about $1000 and I have no idea why.. maybe searching that date too much?? I might have to drop the date altogether if I can't find some $$.. or a different day? I have a date in Feb, would even be willing to swap out with someone in March....

Try to search for +-3 days range and try to stay couple days in Scranton would save you some.
 
Try to search for +-3 days range and try to stay couple days in Scranton would save you some.

Yeah I think that's what I'll have to do at this point. Thanks!


Gspin I PM'd you.. your date is just as, if not a tad more expensive than mine.
 
do elaborate.

on another note it is crazy expensive for me to fly into wilkes barre... at least where i am coming from.. eeks.. what to do...???

I meant that the ratings for that particular hotel are pretty low but if it's just for a night it might not be that bad.
 
TCMC's students can host prospective students....just call the admin office and ask. Not only do you not have to spend money on a hotel, you can interact with a student!
 
Anyone stayed at RED CARPET INN AND SUITES SCRAN? It is cheaper than other two hotel suggested by TCMC. Please give me pro and cons of staying there.

I stayed at the RED CARPET INN during my interview for 3 nights and it was great. It was clean, the owners were nice, the steamtown mall is like a 10min walk away if you need anything, there is a bunch of restaurants a 15min walk away and the school is like a 15min walk away. The best part is they give you an iron and ironing board in your room which is really important if you are flying in and your suit gets some wrinkles. I would diffidently do it if you need to stay in a hotel.

P.S. There is a Dunkin' Doughnuts across the street so there is your morning coffee and breakfast.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.