2012-2013 University of Missouri - Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How many days a month do they hold interviews?

I'm don't think I'm allowed to give specific numbers, but they have quite a few interviews every month. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm don't think I'm allowed to give specific numbers, but they have quite a few interviews every month. ;)

I think they interview Monday through Wednesday and review and vote on Thursdays. They accept a very small number each month and then fill the class in March. They accepted only five people last month.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

I thought it went really well. Both of my interviewers were faculty clinicians (not sure if that's normal) and very friendly. It was my first open-file interview and I found it interesting that both interviewers asked about the same inconsequential aspects of my application. For example they both asked what my siblings do. The only place I mentioned siblings are where AMCAS asks if you have any. They also both asked about the same ECs, one of which was "most meaningful" and the other not. I have about 8 ECs so the odds of them asking about the exact same two were not very high.

Glad it went well for you, MedPR! :xf: Fingers crossed!

Just use the edit function in the future.

Thanks for the tip, I'll be more mindful the next time - I'm still getting used to posting on SDN. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad it went well for you, MedPR! :xf: Fingers crossed!

Thanks for the tip, I'll be more mindful the next time - I'm still getting used to posting on SDN. :laugh:

Thanks, I hope so too. No worries, It's just easier for people to answer multiple questions if they are all in the same post ;)

Thanks, I hope so too. No worries, It's just easier for people to answer multiple questions if they are all in the same post ;)

hey medpr when were you complete and when did you get an interview offer if you dont mind me asking!

Any idea when we will get another status update? I know it is usually the last Friday of the month but with Thanksgiving and everything I wasn't sure (last year the November update was the Friday before Thanksgiving).

Interviewing there on Dec 3, sounds like the committee takes their time with acceptances?

hey medpr when were you complete and when did you get an interview offer if you dont mind me asking!

Not sure, but it's on my MDapps. Too lazy to check it myself right now ;)

Interviewing there on Dec 3, sounds like the committee takes their time with acceptances?

They meet once a month and accept a pre-determined number of people. In October they accepted 5 people. Everyone else gets re-reviewed either monthly or at the end of the cycle (unclear on this).

Interview invite! Completely unexpected, but so excited!

Awesome, you guys! When are your respective interview dates? I had mine a couple weeks ago.
My interview date isn't until January 15. I wish they would have given options to choose from but beggars can't be choosers I suppose.

Members don't see this ad :)
My interview date isn't until January 15. I wish they would have given options to choose from but beggars can't be choosers I suppose.

Congratulations! I am surprised they are already so far out in scheduling interviews. At least with Mizzou it seems like it really doesn't matter when you interview (since so many people have to hold out until March before even the wait list is made). So good luck with everything, I'm sure you will do great!

wait listed.

Haha looks like I'm joining the club with the status unchanged. Do they reject this early on? or wait until March?

Haha looks like I'm joining the club with the status unchanged. Do they reject this early on? or wait until March?

They told us they do reject people post interview.

Accept
Unchanged
Rejected

They told us they do reject people post interview.

Accept
Unchanged
Rejected

Really? She told our group that no one is rejected until March. Huh, I guess that weirdly makes me feel a little better about my "unchanged" notification.

Really? She told our group that no one is rejected until March. Huh, I guess that weirdly makes me feel a little better about my "unchanged" notification.

Likewise - even though I do wish to see you all next year! Good luck to all of us!

II yesterday! What an awesome surprise after week one of finals! :D

Incoming MS1 here... Fire away if you have any questions. I know SDN really helped me out as a pre-med, so I'm more than happy to give back.
Hey!

Not sure if you still get on here at all, or even check SDN anymore. Just wanting to get some info from you about your application. I'm a junior now, so about to start the application process. Just some simple stats/advice (are you from CoMo? where did you work/volunteer? anything else you deem pertinent) would be helpful. I worked at the University hospital for about 6 months, now working at Columbia Surgical. Looking to get back into the hospital again. Any advice on teachers at Mizzou?

Basically, I just found this thread and thought I would ask some people who actually did get in to MU Med some basic questions. I'm sure you remember being an undergrad, any information from people who actually have "been there and done that" is like gold.

Thanks, maybe I'll see you there in a couple years

I'm a junior at MU. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat? I figure if there are any, then over Christmas break people will be logging on more. Just looking to compare notes about applications and everything in general here. I'm definitely in the non-traditional applicant spot, had a bad year my freshman year and have been working to bring that GPA up. :( Any advice there? I do volunteer in a lab and have some other extra curricular stuff, I'm not a complete idiot.

Also, I've pretty much lived in Columbia my whole life and do know some good info about the program and area so anyone who needs help there feel free to shoot questions! :thumbup:

Thanks!

Can any recent interviewers shed some light on how they are going to go about updates with Mizzou's winter break coming up?

Can any recent interviewers shed some light on how they are going to go about updates with Mizzou's winter break coming up?

Oh that's a good question. Maybe they'll accept the next round before break!

Oh that's a good question. Maybe they'll accept the next round before break!

Yeah that was my thought too. Still a ridiculously slim chance that I'll make it in this round, but it sure would make for a nice Holiday!

Even though we just finished block 2 and most of the students have gone home, I know the OME is working for at least another week. Last year I got an interview invite the friday before Christmas week, so there could be a chance for updates at the end of this week! :)

Even though we just finished block 2 and most of the students have gone home, I know the OME is working for at least another week. Last year I got an interview invite the friday before Christmas week, so there could be a chance for updates at the end of this week! :)

Did they do their monthly decision before the start of Christmas vacation?

Did they do their monthly decision before the start of Christmas vacation?

They did interviews today and will continue to do so through this Thursday I believe. The committee will meet sometime soon and everyone should get another update at the end of the month.

They did interviews today and will continue to do so through this Thursday I believe. The committee will meet sometime soon and everyone should get another update at the end of the month.

For a phone call from Columbia today.. It wasn't from Mizzou. Lame.

Status unchanged again.

Decided to withdraw from my interview in January.

Good luck in your cycle everyone!!

Status unchanged as well. Thanks for the early Christmas present mizzou ;)

Withdrawing my application at the beginning of the month, good luck to everyone still in the running!

Last edited:
Withdrew my application at the beginning of the month, good luck to everyone still in the running!

First post after lurking for a while and I am sorry to see you go, looks like we were following a similar timeline (and always appreciate a fellow whovian). Were you accepted somewhere else?

I got my third status unchanged email in December, here is to waiting a bit longer!

First post after lurking for a while and I am sorry to see you go, looks like we were following a similar timeline (and always appreciate a fellow whovian). Were you accepted somewhere else?

I got my third status unchanged email in December, here is to waiting a bit longer!

Haha I appreciate the spinoff of my username! And no, I did not receive an acceptance somewhere else, but unexpected family situations caused me to have to withdraw my app here and at several other schools to guarantee I will be closer to my moving family (assuming I get an acceptance). If I have to reapply I will definitely reapply here since I did my undergrad in CoMo.

Haha I appreciate the spinoff of my username! And no, I did not receive an acceptance somewhere else, but unexpected family situations caused me to have to withdraw my app here and at several other schools to guarantee I will be closer to my moving family (assuming I get an acceptance). If I have to reapply I will definitely reapply here since I did my undergrad in CoMo.

Good luck to ya, man!

I've got some (in state) friends still waiting on an interview invite here, anyone know what their chances are? I thought they would be getting an automatic invite (they meet Mizzou's criteria for one), but from the sound of things they were in to late January interviews a while ago and only continue through March. I have been suggesting to them that the school may be waiting to send out all of their "automatic in-state interviews" for the end of the application cycle, but I was in the same boat and had my interview in October (with no betterGPA/MCAT than they have). Just kind of confused about how this system is working.

I've got some (in state) friends still waiting on an interview invite here, anyone know what their chances are? I thought they would be getting an automatic invite (they meet Mizzou's criteria for one), but from the sound of things they were in to late January interviews a while ago and only continue through March. I have been suggesting to them that the school may be waiting to send out all of their "automatic in-state interviews" for the end of the application cycle, but I was in the same boat and had my interview in October (with no betterGPA/MCAT than they have). Just kind of confused about how this system is working.

I feel that they're still in line for an auto invite, it likely is just a matter of time. I don't think they would mislead us by saying there's an automatic criteria and then disregarding it. I'm betting they have nothing to worry about!

Anyone accepted who might be looking for a place to live? Room available in a house with two third year med students. PM for additional info.

Also happy to answer any questions people might have about Mizzou! Good luck to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.