2012-2013 University of Utah Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When were you guys with II complete??

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview in a few days. Any last minute advice from you guys that have already interviewed?

I have an interview in a few days. Any last minute advice from you guys that have already interviewed?

Relax. Be yourself. Have fun and be ready to talk about experiences from your AMCAS and beyond. Good Luck!

Say there is a lady who was having a home birth, however, after 24 hours of labor, the midwife decided something might be wrong and sent her to the hospital. She gets there and finds out that the baby’s position was causing too much intracranial pressure, which in turn was restricting the blood flow to the brain. After the baby was born it was confirmed that the baby had brain damage. Now let’s say you are the obstetrician and you knew that if the midwife would have sent her to the hospital earlier, the baby would have been fine. If the mother looks at you and asks, “was it the midwife’s fault that my baby has brain damage?” What would you say?

Then as a follow up question

Let’s pretend you said, “Yes, it was the midwifes fault. She should have known better. She is a bad caregiver… etc.” and then the midwife hears about it and confronts you. She yells, “Why did you say that about me? I am good at what I do… etc.” What would you say back to the midwife?
Are you serious???? That is a crazy, ambiguous scenario and they really expect you to comment on it?

Alright. I just wrote a really long paragraph about making snap decisions with no clinical data and deleted it. Wow. Really? Is this supposed to be an ethics question, or something? I hope I get asked this one at interview.:xf:

II-complete on 10/6

Members don't see this ad :)
Amen!
I'll share an interview story sometime before Thanksgiving. (Hopefully it will be a good one!)

Amen!
I'll share an interview story sometime before Thanksgiving. (Hopefully it will be a good one!)

Interview day was pretty awesome: great weather, really friendly interviewees, and my interviews went very well (I think). I was really impressed with the facilities overall, and especially the clinical skills areas. The sheer diversity of research opportunities, on the medical campus and beyond is a big draw for me, and I was a bit disappointed to not get a look at the Huntsman campus specifically. However, overall the day was well structured and left me feeling very good about the U.

Best of the luck to those interviewing in the future!

Interview day was pretty awesome: great weather, really friendly interviewees, and my interviews went very well (I think). I was really impressed with the facilities overall, and especially the clinical skills areas. The sheer diversity of research opportunities, on the medical campus and beyond is a big draw for me, and I was a bit disappointed to not get a look at the Huntsman campus specifically. However, overall the day was well structured and left me feeling very good about the U.

Best of the luck to those interviewing in the future!
Thanks for sharing and good luck!

I can't wait until the PhD committee looks at my app. I've been thinking: Since they said the PhD committee will look at my app in January, does that mean that the MD committee looked at their part and are okay with me? (I applied MD/PhD.)

Thanks in advance to anyone that knows the answer to that question.

Does anybody know why they changed it from 2 interviews last year to 3 interviews this year? Is it so they don't have to re-interview people? Has anybody been asked to go in for a second interview day?

Seems to me that the first round of rejections come in late november/december...

So I have a question for everyone. During my interview day orientation, Dr. Chan (Assistant Dean of Admissions) told us that in the last few years a larger portion of applicants was rejected right after their interview and then the rest were rejected later in March while acceptances were going out. The students that were rejected later got their hopes up because they thought that since they hadn't been rejected immediately post interview that they were going to get in and then when they didn't, they complained to the school. So he said that this year they were just going to wait and tell everyone at the same time in March. Then in an email correspondence from three weeks ago I was told that, "Approximately half of the acceptance offers are sent prior to the end of March (Between 10/15 and 3/15)." Kathy Z. Doulis (Director of Admissions). I guess my question is, has anyone else heard anything supporting or negating this information? What do you guys think?

So I have a question for everyone. During my interview day orientation, Dr. Chan (Assistant Dean of Admissions) told us that in the last few years a larger portion of applicants was rejected right after their interview and then the rest were rejected later in March while acceptances were going out. The students that were rejected later got their hopes up because they thought that since they hadn't been rejected immediately post interview that they were going to get in and then when they didn't, they complained to the school. So he said that this year they were just going to wait and tell everyone at the same time in March. Then in an email correspondence from three weeks ago I was told that, "Approximately half of the acceptance offers are sent prior to the end of March (Between 10/15 and 3/15)." Kathy Z. Doulis (Director of Admissions). I guess my question is, has anyone else heard anything supporting or negating this information? What do you guys think?

I have had a similar problem with inconsistent information about decision timelines. Friends with experience in previous cycles say everybody hears in March, at our interview day the admissions staff said that a few people will hear before March, and the current students I talked to said they all received a decision in March. I'm just operating under the assumption that I won't hear back until early April!

That is odd. On our interview day, we didn't even get to see Dr. Chan. I was browsing through last years thread and a lot of students received rejections in late November/early December.

From my understanding they changed to 3 interviews to prevent having to call people back in for another interview if the 2 interviews they had really disagreed. As far as acceptances and rejections...It seems like some rejections are sent out prior to march for perhaps the bottom tier of applicants according to the admissions committee. The first acceptances were recorded on SDN in early January from checking the online portal. As far as half of acceptances going out before November...that sounds high to me. March/April seems to be the magic time for the UUSOM. I wish it was sooner as well, but so it goes.

Just landed in SLC! Excited for my Interview tomorrow! Any other SDNers interviewing tomorrow?

Sent from my ADR6350 using SDN Mobile

When I interviewed, an M2 told me that when you interview, each interviewer scores you on a 1-5 scale. You need a score of at least 12 to be moved into the committee to be considered for acceptance. I'm guessing that people that score 11 or below get rejected early. Most of the students I talked to were accepted in March, and they stressed that pretty hard at the interview, so I guess it's good to check now and then, but not worth checking neurotically.

When I interviewed, an M2 told me that when you interview, each interviewer scores you on a 1-5 scale. You need a score of at least 12 to be moved into the committee to be considered for acceptance. I'm guessing that people that score 11 or below get rejected early. Most of the students I talked to were accepted in March, and they stressed that pretty hard at the interview, so I guess it's good to check now and then, but not worth checking neurotically.

This is true. I haven't heard anything about saving all acceptances/rejections until March so I can't speak to that. In the last few years 10-20% have been accepted before March. They always say March but it ends up being April.

Also, just so you don't stress out so much, the numeric score is based largely on your paper application. Your interview is mostly to give you a feel of the UUSOM and the UUSOM to get a feel for you, so as long as you don't screw up too bad or "shine bright like a diamond," your interview won't unduly influence your score.

Good luck everyone!

Also, just so you don't stress out so much, the numeric score is based largely on your paper application. Your interview is mostly to give you a feel of the UUSOM and the UUSOM to get a feel for you, so as long as you don't screw up too bad or "shine bright like a diamond," your interview won't unduly influence your score.

Good luck everyone!

Wait..so your saying that interview doesn't affect your application score (as long as you didn't do horribly bad), but the guy above you says you need a score of "12" to not get rejected outright? Which one is it?

Wait..so your saying that interview doesn't affect your application score (as long as you didn't do horribly bad), but the guy above you says you need a score of "12" to not get rejected outright? Which one is it?

Both. Your interviewers score you based on info in your paper app + your interview, but like I said, the interview is unlikely to have a major impact.

Make sure when "you're" using conjunctions in "your" PS you use them appropriately :)

Thrilled and delighted by the day at the U!
Honestly, I was surprised that I enjoyed it so much. A first-year (makes me think of Hogwarts) gave us the tour. He kept repeating that he has lots of time to explore hobbies and unwind from school. Some second-years talked to us at lunch. They told us about an awesome mentoring program in place to help you prep for residency applications. Wonderful research opportunities. Terrific Step 1 prep. Stoked to go there!:xf:

Awesome avatar, amigo!

Thanks. Saw Miss Sioux and her beautiful Banshees at the first Lollapalooza. Dang, I'm old.

Make sure when "you're" using conjunctions in "your" PS you use them appropriately :)

For some reason I have been told this 100 times and I still find myself forgetting. Lol, I guess I just got to keep getting reminded ;)

So you have to get a 12+ total score on interviews but once you pass this step, the interviews don't play much into the decision making?

So you have to get a 12+ total score on interviews but once you pass this step, the interviews don't play much into the decision making?

Kind of. But you're not getting scored on your interview alone, you're getting scored on your application and if you're personality is very strong, it might factor in a little. I swear it's not that complicated.

Example A: you are an applicant who is otherwise qualified but have done little research, only done 10 hours of volunteering and your letters are marginal. You go to your interview and you are awesome in person. You will still probably get a 3 or 4 in each interview even if you are a great interviewer.

Example B: you are an applicant who is otherwise qualified and are above average in each of the required categories. You go to your interview and fumble over some questions but you're just nervous, not rude or insincere. You will still probably get a 5 or maybe a 4 in each interview.

Moral of the story: the interview does not matter very much. Just be yourself and see if your personality fits in at the University of Utah. This should put everyone at ease. Just relax and have fun on your interview day - it's your day.

Thrilled and delighted by the day at the U!
Honestly, I was surprised that I enjoyed it so much. A first-year (makes me think of Hogwarts) gave us the tour. He kept repeating that he has lots of time to explore hobbies and unwind from school. Some second-years talked to us at lunch. They told us about an awesome mentoring program in place to help you prep for residency applications. Wonderful research opportunities. Terrific Step 1 prep. Stoked to go there!:xf:

Thanks. Saw Miss Sioux and her beautiful Banshees at the first Lollapalooza. Dang, I'm old.
I'm right there with ya, buddy. :) I didn't get to go that year, and am bit jelly, but I bet we're fairly close to the same age. Good luck!

Interviewing on the 26th. I've actually spent the last 3 nights at Huntsman's Cancer Institute with my sister, maybe I'll just get to walk to the interview

From what Dr. Chan told my group at our interview, about 25% of the class should hear before March, but the majority won't until then.

On a side note, I thought my interview day was great. I had great interviewers, and they were easy to talk to. Some of the other applicants that were there on the same day said they had some tougher ones with some really difficult ethical questions. Just be prepared for just about anything. Good luck!!!

Has anyone interviewed for the MD/PhD program yet? Or are we all waiting for the PhD committee to review us in January?

Last edited:
I interviewed here yesterday and I don't think the day could have gone better. My interviewers were all very nice and didn't ask any unfair questions. I love this school. They also said that due to a lot of complaints about early decision in December, apart everyone would be informed at the end if march. So I'm guessing some will still be notifies earlier

I interviewed here yesterday and I don't think the day could have gone better. My interviewers were all very nice and didn't ask any unfair questions. I love this school. They also said that due to a lot of complaints about early decision in December, apart everyone would be informed at the end if march. So I'm guessing some will still be notifies earlier

I'm guessing "apart" was a typo. What was that supposed to say?

Just out of curiosity, do you remember who your interviewers were?

Sent from my HTC Ruby using SDN Mobile

Utah uses 150+ interviewers throughout the season. There will generally be very little overlap from interviewee to interviewee.

I'm guessing "apart" was a typo. What was that supposed to say?

Ha, sorry, I typed that on my phone. It was supposed to say almost. Looking at the interview packet it says: "The committee will announce the final selections by the end of March."

Yes, but like the above post, I highly doubt you would see them. Everyone I spoke to that interviewed that day had mostly a good experience. They have changed the interview format from previous years, so any horror stories from before are not relevant now. One of my interviewers even told me about how they've given her an outline and what she's supposed to avoid. For example, she started asking me about politics then rescinded because she isn't supposed to ask about that or something. I said it was fine and we spoke about them anyway.

Just received ii today and am very excited! I'm IS and would love to stay here in Utah.

Yes, but like the above post, I highly doubt you would see them. Everyone I spoke to that interviewed that day had mostly a good experience. They have changed the interview format from previous years, so any horror stories from before are not relevant now. One of my interviewers even told me about how they've given her an outline and what she's supposed to avoid. For example, she started asking me about politics then rescinded because she isn't supposed to ask about that or something. I said it was fine and we spoke about them anyway.

I was only asking because I already interviewed. Wondering if we had the same ones.

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if there are any locals who can give me advice as where to stay or just information regarding the school from a local's perspective, since i am out of state and just got an interview. Any feedback will be appreciated or PM me. Thanks

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if there are any locals who can give me advice as where to stay or just information regarding the school from a local's perspective, since i am out of state and just got an interview. Any feedback will be appreciated or PM me. Thanks

There's a campus guest house close to the med school that's supposed to be pretty nice, although I don't know how much it costs. It's basically just a hotel on campus. There's also a university Marriott hotel really close.

As far as the school goes, it's a good one. Tough to get into, especially for OOS. One advantage they have is that right next to the school is a hospital, a good children's hospital, a great cancer Center, an eye center, and a ton of research facilities. They are all within a quarter mile of the school, so that makes for good opportunities. Let me know what other questions you have and I'll be happy to answer them.

Status
Not open for further replies.