2012-2013 University of Utah Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really?

One of my interviewers asked me, "What will you do if you don't get into medical school?" (I'm already working full-time.)

I replied, "I'll apply again. And again, if I need to. " It seemed kind of weird--like did she want specifics or did she just wonder if I'm giving this medical-school-thing a shot?

I got asked that same question as well - it is a pretty normal interview question. I think the best answer would be to reevaluate your application, figure out what your weaknesses were, and work on making those weaknesses into a strength for the next year you apply.

Members don't see this ad.

There was differing information on this earlier in this thread, but does anyone know whether or not a small amount of acceptances will be offered before march? Last year's thread showed people hearing results starting in december.

I am also wondering, in case I end up reapplying, whether letters of recommendation can be used again, or would I have to get 6 new letters of recommendation?

You should be able to use the same letters. I'm a re-applicant and I used the same letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received an interview invite recently? I submitted my secondary super late, so I don't know what to expect as far as time frame goes.

The U will continue to send out interview invites. I think it was about 4 or 5 weeks from when I was complete until I got an II.

A friend of mine got accepted to the U mid-December. Haven't heard of any other acceptances but I am sure a small portion of them have gone out already.

A friend of mine got accepted to the U mid-December. Haven't heard of any other acceptances but I am sure a small portion of them have gone out already.
Do you know his approximate stats?

Has anyone heard of someone being rejected post interview?

Has anyone heard of someone being rejected post interview?

Definitely not this early. I know a few are accepted early on, but I don't believe any rejections go out until they do the wave of acceptances in March. I could be wrong though.

Did your friend find out on their website, via email, or in the mail?

And was he a regular MD or an MD/PhD applicant?

In past years rejections have gone out before march

Has anyone in-state been rejected yet? One of my friends got rejected in November last year from the U.

Members don't see this ad :)

At interview day, Dr. Chan said that rejections would not be sent out until most acceptances go out at the end of March. He also said that about 1/4 of seats will be given before than.

Great, the window is getting smaller for those of us who haven't been accepted yet...

Does anyone know exactly why they don't at least send out notifications before March to those that they know for sure they are going to reject?

Does anyone know exactly why they don't at least send out notifications before March to those that they know for sure they are going to reject?

I don't think they know they are going to reject anyone at this point. They probably just make a list and depending on where you end up on the list determines if you get accepted. So that list is constantly changing from now 'til then.

That's my guess anywho.

I don't think they know they are going to reject anyone at this point. They probably just make a list and depending on where you end up on the list determines if you get accepted. So that list is constantly changing from now 'til then.

That's my guess anywho.

Yeah, I figured as much. I guess I just thought that when you have 500 interviews for 82 spots, and they have been interviewing since the end of August, they have to have at least a couple dozen people that tanked hardcore on their rating system and they know they aren't going to offer them a seat. Several past cycles they have sent out post-interview rejections. I just didn't know why this year would be different.

On another note, has anyone heard any updates on the legislative stuff for class size? Or could direct me where to look?

Does anyone know what kind of information would be beneficial as an update to my application? I interviewed back in Sept. and I'm trying to update my application every so often. However, I tried updating my application recently for an internship and Utah updated my application, but other schools would not. For example, VCU will only accept grades and publications. Does Utah take everything into account?

I heard that the Utah adcom does daily searches of SDN so they can make sure they aren't sending any acceptances to SDN members.

I heard that the Utah adcom does daily searches of SDN so they can make sure they aren't sending any acceptances to SDN members.

Haha, the rumors about Utah admissions policies keep getting better ;)

Hey 2013 medapp, did you hold your spot at ATSU and put down the money?

This wait is TORTURE!!! Seriously fell in love with this school..would be the worst let down of the app cycle if I didnt get in! but 60ish interviews for 8 spots:(

This wait is TORTURE!!! Seriously fell in love with this school..would be the worst let down of the app cycle if I didnt get in! but 60ish interviews for 8 spots:(

I concur. ("Do you concur?") It is hard to believe that my interview was over 2 months ago and I have at least 2 more months of waiting before I hear anything.

:laugh: That was meant to be a joke, right? (Dang! I knew I shouldn't have used my real picture on SDN.)

I concur. ("Do you concur?") It is hard to believe that my interview was over 2 months ago and I have at least 2 more months of waiting before I hear anything.
I feel you. I interviewed back in September, and it feels like an eternity ago.

Does anyone know what kind of information would be beneficial as an update to my application? I interviewed back in Sept. and I'm trying to update my application every so often. However, I tried updating my application recently for an internship and Utah updated my application, but other schools would not. For example, VCU will only accept grades and publications. Does Utah take everything into account?

I sent a "I rocked this class" update to this email address and they said my update would be added to my file. (Really, I only wrote 2 sentences.)
[email protected]

hey guys just wondering as i see the numbers of people who applied and get accepted. I am out of state not idaho or utah anybody know how many that actually interview the what I think is 12 or 13 open spots? MSAR give info on the out of state applicants but from what i understand the U has three pools in state idaho and out of state. Any info would be great thanks!

I would like to know the breakdown as well. Like how many students they interview from each school and similar numbers.

I concur! I want this school so bad!

hey guys just wondering as i see the numbers of people who applied and get accepted. I am out of state not idaho or utah anybody know how many that actually interview the what I think is 12 or 13 open spots? MSAR give info on the out of state applicants but from what i understand the U has three pools in state idaho and out of state. Any info would be great thanks!

You are correct about the three pools: Utah, Idaho, and all others. I thought I remembered them saying that there were 16 "other" spots--for MD/PhD and other (non-Idaho) out-of-staters with ties to Utah. The current legislative session could change the number of seats available, however, I'm pretty sure those extra states are intended for in-state folks.

I concur! I want this school so bad!

I hate going to family things and having people ask where I'll be going because it always ends with, "but the U won't let me know until the end of March...so maybe there."

What do you love about the U?

I love how they do the small group work at the beginning of MS-I. I wish I got to see more of the facilities on the tour, but there were tests in session.

Well, I just glanced the bill again and it says the class size will increase by 40 students this year but all 40 seats are for students with "strong Utah ties"

Looks like SB42 passed the legislature. Not sure exactly what will happen now, but it appears that the class size will be increased

http://le.utah.gov/~2013/bills/static/SB0042.html

This is great news! Does the "favorable recommendation" mean that it passed completely or does it still have to go through other committees, etc.?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

From what I can tell, it has only been approved by a Senate committee so far, and will now go to the senate floor for debate and vote, then likely to the House for a vote as well, if I'm understanding the process correctly. Maybe one of you knows better and can clarify?

From what I can tell, it has only been approved by a Senate committee so far, and will now go to the senate floor for debate and vote, then likely to the House for a vote as well, if I'm understanding the process correctly. Maybe one of you knows better and can clarify?

I think this is right. The bill has not passed yet.

Ah ok. Sorry for jumping the gun

Has it gotten this far in the past? Like do they give a "favorable recommendation" every year and then it gets voted down, or do we actually have reason to believe it might really go through this time?

* updated SB0042 Bill Status
* http://le.utah.gov/DynaBill/status.jsp?bill=SB0042&sessionid=2013GS
* was modified: Tue Jan 29 2013 at 12:28:04 PM
* New information in the document:
* --------------------------------
* 1/29/2013
* Senate/ committee report favorable
* SSTEDU
* 1/29/2013
* Senate/ placed on 2nd Reading Calendar
* S2ND

Has it gotten this far in the past? Like do they give a "favorable recommendation" every year and then it gets voted down, or do we actually have reason to believe it might really go through this time?

From the little bit of investigation I did on the Legislature's website, this is the first time that a bill has been made specifically for increasing funding to the medical school for admissions. In years past it looks like they tried to work it into other larger budget bills but didn't get the funding they wanted/needed. I could be totally off on this information though, so grain of salt. Everything else aside, I would be optimistic. My buddy interviewed here a couple weeks ago and Dr. Chan seems really confident that they will get the money.

From the little bit of investigation I did on the Legislature's website, this is the first time that a bill has been made specifically for increasing funding to the medical school for admissions. In years past it looks like they tried to work it into other larger budget bills but didn't get the funding they wanted/needed. I could be totally off on this information though, so grain of salt. Everything else aside, I would be optimistic. My buddy interviewed here a couple weeks ago and Dr. Chan seems really confident that they will get the money.
That is great news for in-staters. Any ideas as to when their decision will be final? I've tried navigating the website myself, but admittedly my extreme ignorance of all the inner political workings just caused the majority of the information to go flying way over my head.

I don't think everything will be finalized until they figure out exactly how they are going to pay for it and Utah wont know what kind of budget they really have until the fiscal crisis of our debt ceiling, etc is decided in March, i believe, until the fed govt decides what they are going to do and how that will affect Utah they won't be able to balance the budget before the March 15th deadline and have even said they may have to go back and make revisions later if the fed drags its feet further. Hope this all makes sense. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I remember hearing.

The seats will not be only for in-state applicants. I remember from the interview that we were told they will be split in the same percentage as the seats currently are, meaning most will go to in state applicants, and some will be for Idaho and out of state applicants.

Status
Not open for further replies.