2012-2013 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like I could dig up one of those kid's decoder rings from a cereal box to use and have better luck writing a decent response.

I just lol'd in public. That's exactly how I felt :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

From my knowledge, all of this stuff is correct. I have a lot of respect for the way UW does things regarding primaries and secondaries and such. I hear those interviews are way too intense, though.

How can an interview to medical school be intense? What do they ask you? I'm having a hard time picturing this.

You got an interview invite already?!?!?!

I guess I technically didn't get an invite but more of a "we'll be inviting you, most OOR get dates in December and January"

How can an interview to medical school be intense? What do they ask you? I'm having a hard time picturing this.

Picture some pretty hard ethics questions and having to explain your reasoning to the interviewer. I did a mock interview with some wwami students and I had to talk about drug use of a patient with a friend in the room that wouldn't go away, PAS (since it is legal in WA), abortions and giving away antibiotics if I only had a 3 week supply but someone needed 4 weeks.

Pretty tough

Members don't see this ad :)
From my knowledge, all of this stuff is correct. I have a lot of respect for the way UW does things regarding primaries and secondaries and such. I hear those interviews are way too intense, though.

I really appreciate that they take the time to review each WWAMI application completely--makes me feel like they care more about the quality of the student than the numbers. I don't feel like that's necessarily true with a lot of state and private schools.

On the interview, I've heard from two friends (both who got in) and two younger UW-trained docs I've shadowed. Everything from 'relaxed' to 'I-wanna-puke intense' was mentioned. Some grilled motivations for medicine. Some wanted to hear your (well-formed) opinions on healthcare issues. Some guide you towards the topics they wanted to hear about and others let you flounder like an dying fish. I've heard 'I want to do rural medicine' is an auto-in and that not having research hurts you. It seems that you really just need to know your stuff going in and pray you don't end up with a 'deer in the headlights' inducing question. One of the docs told me she was reading Times magazine and googling every news article possible on the subject for the six months up to her interview.

I've heard 'I want to do rural medicine' is an auto-in

:laugh:

Not true. If you go in and say that with no background in rural medicine then they will think you are lying and reject you. Happened to three of the WWAMI students I talked to. It took them a second attempt at applying. They didn't do it the second time because the dean told them to tell the truth.

Yes, UW focuses on rural medicine but that doesn't mean everyone that gets in want to do rural medicine. The school also focuses on primary care. However, people still go into residencies for plastics, surgery, etc.

Just tell the truth during the interview and you will do fine.

Last edited:

I guess I technically didn't get an invite but more of a "we'll be inviting you, most OOR get dates in December and January"

When were you officially complete??

Sometimes they will do role playing questions. There will be ethical questions. Questions about health care. They will look at your application and ask questions based on your background. It is very fair, but it can be intense when there is three people staring at you only a couple yards away.

:laugh:

Not true. If you go in and say that with no background in rural medicine then they will think you are lying and reject you. Happened to three of the WWAMI students I talked to. It took them a second attempt at applying. They didn't do it the second time because the dean told me to tell the truth.

Just tell the truth during the interview and you will do fine.

I'm in total agreement with you on this one. Obviously, if you say "my dream in life is to practice rural medicine in the slums" and you stare blankly when they ask why, you're totally and irrevocably f'ed. If it's honestly something you want and you have reasons, it won't hurt being that it's in line with the mission statement of the school.

Of course, there's the one guy I know who has zero interest in rural medicine, but spent a day watching YouTube videos on it so he could make it sound convincing. He got a call back from his interviewers the next day saying he was in. His first goal on graduation: move back across the country (he's originally OOS). I was just like 'well, no such thing as a perfect system.'

Finishing up secondary in the next couple of weeks.

Any Idaho residents confused with the residency application through University of Idaho?? From the paper, if you haven't worked in Idaho 12 consecutive months with a full-year tax return (so much for those people going to school full-time), you must OWN a house, have a kid in school, and 4 other types of supporting documents.

EDIT: The above applies only to those who claim to be independent, a dependent can claim residency if they can show proof through parents' most recent tax return.

Last edited:
Rejected too...40O, 4.00, OOR

Sucks, but doesn't surprise me. You really have to prove you want to work in underserved locations or come from a disadvantaged background to get a secondary.

Rejected too...40O, 4.00, OOR

Damn. I feel guilty about my II now. Did you not work significantly with underserved populations in your EC's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone comment on UW's curriculum?

Damn. I feel guilty about my II now. Did you not work significantly with underserved populations in your EC's.

You do not have an invite yet. It just says that if they do invite you they will do it in December. You can't say you have the invite until they actually call/email with a date and tell you to show up.

Can anyone comment on UW's curriculum?

I have heard that it is pretty typical. The only difference that I have seen is that clinical work is started in year one. Sure it is just taking patient histories, but you are still with patients. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, I am just making observations from what I have seen.

http://uwmedicine.washington.edu/Education/MD-Program/Current-Students/Curriculum/Pages/default.aspx

You do not have an invite yet. It just says that if they do invite you they will do it in December. You can't say you have the invite until they actually call/email with a date and tell you to show up.

I have heard that it is pretty typical. The only difference that I have seen is that clinical work is started in year one. Sure it is just taking patient histories, but you are still with patients. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, I am just making observations from what I have seen.

http://uwmedicine.washington.edu/Education/MD-Program/Current-Students/Curriculum/Pages/default.aspx

Really? Because my e-mail says "Your application has passed through this screening and the Committee on Admissions would like to invite you to interview. You can expect a future invitation to interview with your precise date and time of your interview appointment as well as additional information on the interview day schedule."

Sounded like a solid interview invite...

Either way, re: curriculum I guess I was moreso wondering about if it's like a 8-4PM classes/classes recorded and posted online/format.

Thanks!

Sorry, I based your II on this. You never stated more.

Either way, re: curriculum I guess I was moreso wondering about if it's like a 8-4PM classes/classes recorded and posted online/format.

Depends on the location you go to. From what I heard, first year students have about 8 hours of class a day, second year it is 5 hours. Whether that is 8 hours of class straight depends on the location. Obviously Seattle has the main medical school and the faculty to do that, while other areas do not. But the other locations provide benefits in other fields (first year clinical experiences are not competing with residents and the 3rd and 4th years). As for the classes, some classes are recorded but not necessarily all of them, but notes and such should be posted online.

I have only heard this from first year students at the WSU-UI branch, and I heard it a long time ago. So take it with a grain of salt, since it may be incorrect. I would like to have a medical student here verify.

Depends on the location you go to. From what I heard, first year students have about 8 hours of class a day, second year it is 5 hours. Whether that is 8 hours of class straight depends on the location. Obviously Seattle has the main medical school and the faculty to do that, while other areas do not. But the other locations provide benefits in other fields (first year clinical experiences are not competing with residents and the 3rd and 4th years). As for the classes, some classes are recorded but not necessarily all of them, but notes and such should be posted online.

I have only heard this from first year students at the WSU-UI branch, and I heard it a long time ago. So take it with a grain of salt, since it may be incorrect. I would like to have a medical student here verify.

Is it possible for OOR folks to apply to the other branches? I'd love to be in Alaska haha. and I don't like the idea of being in a clinic or something and feeling like I'm taking away from 3rd/4th years or residents...Although I guess that's kind of the case everywhere

Finishing up secondary in the next couple of weeks.

Any Idaho residents confused with the residency application through University of Idaho?? From the paper, if you haven't worked in Idaho 12 consecutive months with a full-year tax return (so much for those people going to school full-time), you must OWN a house, have a kid in school, and 4 other types of supporting documents.

I guess I better go buy a trailer and start sleeping around with no protection for me to be considered in-region.

I'm calling that UofI office tomorrow hopefully the 23 years I've been in Idaho and the 50 years my parents have will satisfy...

I recommend reading the actual law to figure out of you are a resident rather than try to deduce it from that residency worksheet.

http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title33/T33CH37SECT33-3717B.htm

I don't know your particular situation but paragraph 1J might answer some questions.

Is it possible for OOR folks to apply to the other branches? I'd love to be in Alaska haha. and I don't like the idea of being in a clinic or something and feeling like I'm taking away from 3rd/4th years or residents...Although I guess that's kind of the case everywhere

You would not be allowed to go to another state in the first year. Those are reserved for residents of that state. I am unsure if you could apply to the WSU-UI (it a Idaho and others residents' campus since it is in Pullman, WA and Moscow, ID) campus or WSU Spokane campus. I believe those are open to WA residents and OOS, but I am unsure.

And you wouldn't be taking away from the other students. You are furthering your own goals of helping people. And 3rd and 4th year students are spread out among the 5 states. You should probably research this if you really want to go to UW.

You would not be allowed to go to another state in the first year. Those are reserved for residents of that state. I am unsure if you could apply to the WSU-UI (it a Idaho and others residents' campus since it is in Pullman, WA and Moscow, ID) campus or WSU Spokane campus. I believe those are open to WA residents and OOS, but I am unsure.

And you wouldn't be taking away from the other students. You are furthering your own goals of helping people. And 3rd and 4th year students are spread out among the 5 states. You should probably research this if you really want to go to UW.

Isn't he/she researching it by asking questions right now?

Either way, from my understanding sites other than Seattle are only available to residents of that specific state.
http://uwmedicine.washington.edu/Ed...pplicants/WWAMI-First-Year/Pages/default.aspx

Isn't he/she researching it by asking questions right now?

Either way, from my understanding sites other than Seattle are only available to residents of that specific state.
http://uwmedicine.washington.edu/Ed...pplicants/WWAMI-First-Year/Pages/default.aspx

We are researching it for him/her.

And that sucks that OOR people don't get to attend the other branches for the first year. I feel like that is a huge perk of UWSOM.

I wonder if that will change when they complete the new medical school in Spokane? That opens up at the end of 2013/beginning of 2014, right?

And that sucks that OOR people don't get to attend the other branches for the first year. I feel like that is a huge perk of UWSOM.

First, thanks for your help. The UW site isn't the most informative or easiest to navigate.

Second, in what way do you mean the above statement?

First, thanks for your help. The UW site isn't the most informative or easiest to navigate.

Second, in what way do you mean the above statement?

Class sizes of 20 students is an awesome perk. Also, not having to compete against 2nd, 3rd, 4th year students and residents for getting clinical experience is nice.

I wonder if that will change when they complete the new medical school in Spokane? That opens up at the end of 2013/beginning of 2014, right?

I don't think it sucks at all, but I'm in region. I would not want to compete with OOR applicants for those spots, and I'm not sure how popular places like Pullman and Moscow would be with OOR applicants. I feel like a couple perks for the WWAMI applicants are well earned given this is our only "instate" option.

Actually UW sent MS1s to Spokane for the first time in 2008. A pilot program with 20 MS2s will begin in 2013 from what I understand. http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/mar/23/med-students-will-spend-second-year-spokane/

I don't think it sucks at all, but I'm in region. I would not want to compete with OOR applicants for those spots, and I'm not sure how popular places like Pullman and Moscow would be with OOR applicants. I feel like a couple perks for the WWAMI applicants are well earned given this is our only "instate" option.

Actually UW sent MS1s to Spokane for the first time in 2008. A pilot program with 20 MS2s will begin in 2013 from what I understand. http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/mar/23/med-students-will-spend-second-year-spokane/

Or Spokane if you are out of Region. Eastern and Western Washington are very different both geographically and culturally.

Correct me if I am wrong but from what I remember at my interview day last year in Spokane, the new Campus is for to be a branch for second year students (i.e. so you do not have to go to Seattle and can remain in the smaller class sizes). Most rotations for 3 and 4th years around scattered around the WWAMI region. This is where you can go from state to state, even if you are an OOR applicant.

Or Spokane if you are out of Region. Eastern and Western Washington are very different both geographically and culturally.

Correct me if I am wrong but from what I remember at my interview day last year in Spokane, the new Campus is for to be a branch for second year students (i.e. so you do not have to go to Seattle and can remain in the smaller class sizes). Most rotations for 3 and 4th years around scattered around the WWAMI region. This is where you can go from state to state, even if you are an OOR applicant.

Vonnegut on Spokane: “Spokane has many faults, chief among them that it is the source of all human woe – a cleft in the wounded crust of the world that grants Satan and his twisted lieutenants easy access.” I tend to agree.

That sounds right. As of March that seemed to be the plan.

I believe the satellite experience offered at UWSOM is primarily a method to create a sense of statehood and belonging so that the graduates will return to their respective states...Since, the ultimate goal of the WWAMI program is to improve the health in the Northwest region, ideally rural. I know Idaho has close to a 75% return rate of WWAMI graduates. So it's not simply not smart for them to offer an OOR student a spot at their satellite locations.

I can see it happening already... the OOR people getting their MD from UWSOM and saying ciao, then going straight back to the home state to practice. We'll find out in four years, right...

No I did not, at least not specifically with underserved populations.

Has no one gotten an interview invite or an e-mail saying they will get an II? I'm starting to think the e-mail I received was a mistake....

Are there other OOR students that were verified very early on still just waiting for a rejection or secondary? I was verified on 7/5, got the initial contact email from them on 7/9, and haven't heard anything since. Curious if there are others or if I am all alone :(

I received the initial contact email on 7/5 and am OOR and haven't heard a peep...wondering if it's good or bad news haha

I received the initial contact email on 7/5 and am OOR and haven't heard a peep...wondering if it's good or bad news haha

I'm going with its better than bad new, but not quite good news, as other OOR students have heard both ways. So we still have a chance!!

Has no one gotten an interview invite or an e-mail saying they will get an II? I'm starting to think the e-mail I received was a mistake....

Nope you're not alone, I received my invite on the 24th :)

Nope you're not alone, I received my invite on the 24th :)

you got an actual invite? like with a date and everything? my e-mail just said that I will be invited but didn't offer me any fixed dates or anything

you got an actual invite? like with a date and everything? my e-mail just said that I will be invited but didn't offer me any fixed dates or anything

No I got the same email as yours...still waiting to hear from them about an actual date/time.

No I got the same email as yours...still waiting to hear from them about an actual date/time.

awesome! for a while there I thought it was an accidental emai

For the part on the secondary about optional letters...I left the date as is but I won't be submitting optional letters. Is it going to affect me being complete or not? Did you guys just leave it as is too?

Secondary invite! Initial letter: 7/5. 32 MCAT, 4.0 GPA, and OOR :D

Two weeks after submitting all my secondary materials, the Residency Certification Office has decided that I am indeed a Washington resident. Application now complete. Let more waiting begin!

As someone who's lived in Washington since birth - I technically still have to complete the residency verification form, correct? It's a little confusing on the secondary because there's just the "be prepared to prove your residency" thing. Kinda lame considering I've never even been out of the state for extended periods of time, and I went to undergrad here.

As someone who's lived in Washington since birth - I technically still have to complete the residency verification form, correct? It's a little confusing on the secondary because there's just the "be prepared to prove your residency" thing. Kinda lame considering I've never even been out of the state for extended periods of time, and I went to undergrad here.

What does the link on the secondary say?

Here is a screen shot of my secondary post submitting.

picture.php

It was like this from the moment I got my secondary. I lived in WA my whole life and did my undergrad at a state school. If they ever ask me to prove my residency I wouldn't have an issue doing it. However, the link says "Not Applicable" on the side.

And I should add that I have already received the "You are complete" email without doing it.

What does the link on the secondary say?

Here is a screen shot of my secondary post submitting.

picture.php

It was like this from the moment I got my secondary. I lived in WA my whole life and did my undergrad at a state school. If they ever ask me to prove my residency I wouldn't have an issue doing it. However, the link says "Not Applicable" on the side.

And I should add that I have already received the "You are complete" email without doing it.

Mine says "Verification is Required." I guess living here for 21 years doesn't count me as a resident :laugh: Yay for more waiting though while the paperwork goes through!

Interview invite! No date set, but I am still pretty stoked.

Your application has passed through this screening and the Committee on Admissions would like to invite you to interview. You can expect a future invitation to interview with your precise date and time of your interview appointment as well as additional information on the interview day schedule.

Almost 2 weeks since UW told me my secondary was considered complete. How long did it take OOR applicants to hear back from UW after completing secondary? 2weeks? 3 weeks? Says it can take a month or more but I am so eager to find out whether I will have the opportunity to interview at this outstanding school.

people with 40's are getting rejected? Im done for!

I got today that my application is complete and will be reviewed and such, had an epic fail proving i was a washington state resident, thankfully a drives license, voter registry, and community college transcripts were enough to get through. good luck to everyone and good job to the people who have interview invites. AHHHHHHHHHHH

z

Status
Not open for further replies.