2012-2013 Wake Forest University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it looks like the server is down.

Dang. I was trying to submit! I'll have to psych myself up all over again!

Members don't see this ad.

Your optimal letter will be by someone who has known you for a reasonably long time and can make strong recommendations. Mine was from work, the lab manager from one of the labs I worked at - we had known each other 2 years and he was willing to write a strong letter.

You should have a few of these people in your life: job-related, community projects etc. Ask them directly: "As you know, I'm applying to medical school. Would you feel comfortable writing me a strong letter of recommendation?" By asking this way, it offers the person in question 2 outs. If they don't feel comfortable, for whatever reason, or if they feel like their letter would not be "strong" they feel ok about saying no. Keep this in mind 3-4 years down the road when you're applying for residency. You'll need to use the same strategy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah still isn't working for me. I wonder what the issue is as it's been down for a while.

server is still down right?

I am able to log into the status check page, but not the secondary. I did already submit my secondary so that may be the difference. You guys should check if you can log into the status check page. Its in the first email they sent.

Status Change: Your application is complete. You are invited to call and set up an interview with us at your convenience.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice work. Interviews were fairly laid back for me. My advice: If you want to attend Wake, tell them why you love Wake - hold nothing back.

Good Luck!

Status Change: Your application is complete. You are invited to call and set up an interview with us at your convenience.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats! I still cannot access my secondary :( Been trying over and over

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats! Did you get an email notifying you of this?

Called admissions and they said they are working on the log-in issue... so no need to bombard them with phone calls SDN :D . I will definitely post up as soon as I see that the site is back online.

Called admissions and they said they are working on the log-in issue... so no need to bombard them with phone calls SDN :D . I will definitely post up as soon as I see that the site is back online.

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
"Your application is complete. Interviews are by invitation from September to March.* If you are invited, you will receive a e-mail or phone call to schedule an interview."

Oh boy. Does this mean my app's been reviewed but didn't make the first cut?

Are you guys seeing this for ur status on the web page? As of this morning mine still read "please give 1-2 weeks for a decision" or review.

Mine said the review status as well

How are you guys checking your status? All my secondary page shows is my completed secondary essays.

In the earlier emails we got there's a link for a status page.

Status changed to "secondary received" this morning after submitting on 7/24 . Now I'm just waiting on the download of my LORs. Strong work on the interview invite Marian!

I was just able to log in to the secondary application! Looks like it's up and running again!

Are you guys seeing this for ur status on the web page? As of this morning mine still read "please give 1-2 weeks for a decision" or review.

Mine says,

"Your application is complete. Interviews are by invitation from September to March.* If you are invited, you will receive a e-mail or phone call to schedule an interview."

Congrats! Mind posting your stats? And are you IS or OOS?

IS 33S/3.7

Congrats! Did you get an email notifying you of this?

No email. I checked the app login at midnight after noticing the posts regarding the server being down.
So pumped!

I still haven't received email notification but I called the admissions office today and successfully scheduled for September 4th.

Is anybody using that last "personal comments" section to write a quick "why WF" essay?

Yeah I did used that to explain why wake was a good fit for me.

So I got an interview (OOS 3.7 and 31L)

...Do we have to fly in to Greensboro?

What does the interview status say? Mine still says
Your application is complete. Interviews are by invitation from September to March.* If you are invited, you will receive a e-mail or phone call to schedule an interview.

Mine says I've been reviewed and that I can now call to schedule an interview.

No long winded congrats.

No confetti.

Just a bland statement.

BUT DONT YOU THINK FOR A SECOND THAT I AM NOT EXCITED.

I went from the "Your application will be reviewed the next 1-2 weeks" to "Your application is complete. Interviews are by invitation from September to March.* If you are invited, you will receive a e-mail or phone call to schedule an interview." It seems to me this is kind of like a silent hold status seeing as other people were handed out invites who submitted in the same time frame.

Does anybody else have this status?:

"Your Secondary Application has been recieved. If your recommendation letters have been received by AMCAS we will be loading them into our system soon.* We do this in batches so please allow 2-3 weeks for your file to be complete."

Submitted the secondary 7/23

does anybody else have this status?:

"your secondary application has been recieved. If your recommendation letters have been received by amcas we will be loading them into our system soon.* we do this in batches so please allow 2-3 weeks for your file to be complete."

submitted the secondary 7/23

+1!

"Your Secondary Application has been recieved. If your recommendation letters have been received by AMCAS we will be loading them into our system soon.* We do this in batches so please allow 2-3 weeks for your file to be complete."

Don't worry. I had that stays and then once they received them they switched it to state my app was reviewed

+1 but my LOR's have been up since long before I was ever even verified

+1 but my LOR's have been up since long before I was ever even verified
me too, and that is why it's annoying. The same thing happened to me with VCU though, so I guess some schools just take longer than others

+1

submitted secondary Aug 2nd

How acceptable/unacceptable would submitting a 13 page essay be for the first essay? Will it seem completely obnoxious? I essentially go through four different life experiences and challenges I've faced that will help me be a better physician. I'm extremely specific and give a lot of details. I can cut it down a little but THIS IS the edited version (the original was 15 pages!). On one hand I feel like it is obnoxious but on the other hand it is unlimited space for a reason. What do you guys/gals think?

Thanks!

How acceptable/unacceptable would submitting a 13 page essay be for the first essay? Will it seem completely obnoxious? I essentially go through four different life experiences and challenges I've faced that will help me be a better physician. I'm extremely specific and give a lot of details. I can cut it down a little but THIS IS the edited version (the original was 15 pages!). On one hand I feel like it is obnoxious but on the other hand it is unlimited space for a reason. What do you guys/gals think?

Thanks!

If I was an adcom member I would round file it and just use the rest of your app to gage you. You may also get a few negative points in my book for not realizing the value of time when reviewing apps.

But I'm not an adcom, so do what you want.

If I was an adcom member I would round file it and just use the rest of your app to gage you. You may also get a few negative points in my book for not realizing the value of time when reviewing apps.

But I'm not an adcom, so do what you want.

I see where you're coming from, but if 'value of time' was truly of such value to admissions, then one would assume that they would have put a character or word limit on the essays. The fact that there is no character limit allows for the unique opportunity for applicants to designate the amount of time admissions will review their essays: if you write more, then they will spend more time reviewing your essay; if you write less, then they will spend less time reviewing your essay (assuming they don't round file it at the mere sight of it). This is known at the time of essay submission so it should be of no surprise, and of no disadvantage, to the applicant or the admissions representative that someone who writes more garners more time designated to their application. Every applicant has the opportunity to write just as much as I do. It is one's decision not to, if they so choose. One should note that getting more time designated to one's application is not equivalent to getting an interview, but it can be advantageous.

Enter a crazy analogy: if you're boss announces that the hardest worker will be most strongly considered for a raise, and you and your coworkers have an equal opportunity to work overtime, but only you and a few others work 120 hours overtime, then you're at a greater advantage to receiving the raise. Sure, there's the chance that you may screw some things up during those 120 hours or not be working as efficiently, but if you really focus on performing and concentrating your effort during those 120 hours, then it could mostly be to your advantage. Likewise, if I really try to condense and cut out all unnecessary, extraneous details and only provide information that is directly pertinent to the essay topic, then one must logically assume that a very long, thoughtful, and informative essay will mostly be to my advantage. If my coworkers choose not to take advantage of working overtime, then that is within their discretion and possibly to their disadvantage.

So you can do what you want. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.