2012-2013 Wake Forest University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, same here. The tech issues this year are killing me...

"Tech issues" are not responsible for the wait time. The Wake secondary site states that they download applications once every two weeks.

Just got my first email! How long did it take everyone's status to change from reviewing primary to approved for secondary?

My status progressed as follows:
AMCAS submitted 6/5, primary received 7/5, secondary received 7/12. It's logical to think that the wait times may increase as the cycle goes on, since there will be increasingly more applicants to review.

Members don't see this ad.

"Tech issues" are not responsible for the wait time. The Wake secondary site states that they download applications once every two weeks.

Yes, I know, but we all submitted early enough that we should have been in the first batch. One of the earlier posters who had contacted the school said that Wake Forest admitted there were downloading issues with the first batch, and so not all of the early applications were downloaded then.

I consider that a tech issue. The two weeks afterward, not so much.

Yes, I know, but we all submitted early enough that we should have been in the first batch. One of the earlier posters who had contacted the school said that Wake Forest admitted there were downloading issues with the first batch, and so not all of the early applications were downloaded then.

I consider that a tech issue. The two weeks afterward, not so much.

Fair assessment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the email saying that I am screened in for the secondary!

My status progressed as follows:
AMCAS submitted 6/5, primary received 7/5, secondary received 7/12. It's logical to think that the wait times may increase as the cycle goes on, since there will be increasingly more applicants to review.

I got the notification of primary received yesterday and secondary invite today, so who knows what's going on.

Everything's going pretty quick for me. I received the acknowledgement for my application yesterday afternoon. This morning I checked my status and I was approved for the secondary. I got the secondary email 10 minutes ago. It says that I have 3 weeks to fill out the secondary.

Just got the secondary (verified 7/5, initial email 7/18, secondary 7/19)

Anyone know if the "non-scienc" letter has to be faculty or if it can come from a doctor you have done research with and shadowed? I mean, when they ask for two, I would like to point them to the strongest two letters I have even though they do say they accept up to eight.

Any thoughts?

Haven't heard back since submitting.

Sent in the secondary yesterday! If only my pre-health committee letter was sent in already :(

Sent in the secondary yesterday! If only my pre-health committee letter was sent in already :(

Primary received email yesterday, secondary today. And I'm in the same boat with my committee letter- they say they don't send it until late July-early August because schools 'don't need letters before then.' So frustrating.

They finally sent me the secondary. It's great to have already written a diversity essay for one school because it's practically a Swiss Army knife. I just made a small tweak in it before submitting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a reapplicant that passed the screen last year, but did not complete the secondary. Do you think that this is why they haven't screened me in yet?

I'm a reapplicant that passed the screen last year, but did not complete the secondary. Do you think that this is why they haven't screened me in yet?

Possibly.

Hey everyone,

What kinds of things did you guys write for the "what career path" question? How specific or general were you? I honestly don't know where I want my career to go, I'm interested in medicine to treat patients, prefferably in a hospital setting, but is this too general? Most doctors have at least some work within a hospital I think, although some more than others. I'm a little stumped about what to write here.

Hey everyone,

What kinds of things did you guys write for the "what career path" question? How specific or general were you? I honestly don't know where I want my career to go, I'm interested in medicine to treat patients, prefferably in a hospital setting, but is this too general? Most doctors have at least some work within a hospital I think, although some more than others. I'm a little stumped about what to write here.

Just talk about being uncertain, but that you can envision yourself working in the inpatient environment of a hospital, and if possible, reference and talk about any clinical experiences you have had in an inpatient environment that was interesting to you. They know most premeds don't know what field of medicine they want to go in, but through clinical experiences you should have a super general IDEA of things you like more than others. Hope that helps.

Do you think its a bad idea if you have a very specific idea of what you want to do? For example, at this point (i know this is always subject to change) I am interested in doing an EM residency followed by a critical care fellowship. I have had relevant exposure to both fields. Do you think it would be a good idea to state such intentions?

I don't think it is a bad idea. It's not like you are saying something risky like "I am interested in a Plastics residency and building my practice around breast augmentation".

Nevertheless, prob want to indicate in there that you are still "open" to other specialties though.

Yep thats exactly what I thought. I did mention that I'm going in with an open mind. Thanks a lot!

this is just my opinion but i would be wary about just saying you are uncertain. this is the path i took last app cycle and it got me rejected. i got an interview and when i asked them why i wasnt accepted they told me that my adcom wasnt sure that i was serious about being a dr. after reflecting on it, i have concluded that i would not write that again or say that in an interview. in fact, i have changed my app to say the opposite. i have made a strong case for what i want to do and why

now i dont think you necessarily have to say that you are for sure going to do xyz, but instead you should really think about it. what aspects of your clinical experiences did you like? you MUST have liked something. For example, you like the idea of working under pressure so maybe you want to to Emergency Medicine.

I think its important to reflect on your experiences and your personality make some conclusions about which fields will best suit your needs (i feel like i just wrote another secondary... hahaha). pick one or two and discuss why they might fit with your personality.

DONT just say that you dont know. i believe it shows that you did not take enough time to truly reflect on why you are really going into medicine.

but that's just my opinion

I answered this question for another secondary, cause I thought the other option was better for me in this case, but I left it kinda generic in what specialty I wanted to go into, but made it clear I knew what I was talking about. I said I wanted to work in an academic hospital in a specialty (left generic) so I would have X, Y, and Z that are only found in the hospital settings and not in outpatient clinics. I then went into research and teaching as those are only found in a academic hospital and not just any old hospital, as those are things I want to be involved in. I used examples from my experiences in the hospital to back this up so it did not look like I was just blowing smoke. If you do not know what type of doctor you want to be, you should at least have an idea in what type of setting you want to work in.

Screened in for the secondary!

Did you get an e-mail? I haven't recieved anything yet, but I just looked at my status and it says that my app has been evaluated and I'll be getting a secondary. Honestly, kind of surprised, since my numbers are relatively weak.

Did you get an e-mail? I haven't recieved anything yet, but I just looked at my status and it says that my app has been evaluated and I'll be getting a secondary. Honestly, kind of surprised, since my numbers are relatively weak.

I checked my status and saw the same thing. No secondary in the inbox yet, but the status does tell us to be patient, so. :)

I checked my status and saw the same thing. No secondary in the inbox yet, but the status does tell us to be patient, so. :)

True, true. I just thought we might get a notice of status change or something.

Just a status change. And I feel like this is a crap shoot as to who gets it! Don't rag on your stats!

this is just my opinion but i would be wary about just saying you are uncertain. this is the path i took last app cycle and it got me rejected. i got an interview and when i asked them why i wasnt accepted they told me that my adcom wasnt sure that i was serious about being a dr. after reflecting on it, i have concluded that i would not write that again or say that in an interview. in fact, i have changed my app to say the opposite. i have made a strong case for what i want to do and why

now i dont think you necessarily have to say that you are for sure going to do xyz, but instead you should really think about it. what aspects of your clinical experiences did you like? you MUST have liked something. For example, you like the idea of working under pressure so maybe you want to to Emergency Medicine.

I think its important to reflect on your experiences and your personality make some conclusions about which fields will best suit your needs (i feel like i just wrote another secondary... hahaha). pick one or two and discuss why they might fit with your personality.

DONT just say that you dont know. i believe it shows that you did not take enough time to truly reflect on why you are really going into medicine.

but that's just my opinion

I have read this same advice in two different books written by former ADCOM members at Harvard and Mt. Sinai. They say you should be pretty specific with the "where do you see yourself" questions.

I have read this same advice in two different books written by former ADCOM members at Harvard and Mt. Sinai. They say you should be pretty specific with the "where do you see yourself" questions.

yea so i said that i didn't know EXACTLY what i would do or EXACTLY where i would be, but i included a lot of experience as to what i would like and what I would want to include in my practice (research, teaching). i think it's better to say that you're not ENTIRELY sure, but you should have a broad idea as to what kind of things you want to include in your practice or what kind of community you want to serve. this is my two cents.

yea so i said that i didn't know EXACTLY what i would do or EXACTLY where i would be, but i included a lot of experience as to what i would like and what I would want to include in my practice (research, teaching). i think it's better to say that you're not ENTIRELY sure, but you should have a broad idea as to what kind of things you want to include in your practice or what kind of community you want to serve. this is my two cents.

You're probably fine...i wouldn't worry too much about it, so long as you've given some specificity to your future interests.

+1 I constantly refresh these threads when I'm at work haha. Helps pass the time :D

Haha same here. The iPhone app is great. Hopefully we hear something from mayo this week? Something other than rejection.

Just got a file complete email...about jumped out of my seat thinking it was an interview invite. Not yet...

Just got the secondary. So glad I wasn't auto screened for it haha

Just got my secondary... exciting.

I'm a 2007 alumnus of Wake (as is evident by my name) so that might have helped - too bad the school kicked my ass the first go around.

Here's hoping they let me come back.

Edit to add: Anybody who is interested in this school will absolutely fall in love with it. I had so many great memories there as an undergraduate - good luck to everyone.

Secondary Received! Whoopie!

Last edited:
Is the Wake Forest secondary portal down for anybody else?

Status
Not open for further replies.