You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Dartmouth College (Geisel) Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
still have not gotten a confirmation replying to the wait list, bad news?
I didn't get a response to my confirmation either...
like gorun said, it took me about a week to get the email. They may have just not got to everyone yet....I didn't get a response to my confirmation either...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got a confirmation email the same day I sent in my response to remain on the waiting list but I'm sure it doesn't mean anything. To those skeptics out there, I'll prove it in a couple of months when I don't get in! 

I called earlier today and the lady that talked to me said I wasn't getting a response? She didn't even know who I was when she said that so I'm not exactly sure what the deal is lol
I know there have been various people say they have/haven't sent LOIs in on this thread but I was wondering if a current student could comment on the LOI post-waitlist etiquette for Geisel? @physicsnerd42 , maybe?
Here are my thoughts:
1) They say in the waitlist follow up email that they would like to keep people on the waitlist who are strongly interested in Geisel, but in the Waitlist Letter it seems like they only want updates sent, not love letters. So, how does one show a strong interest in Geisel if we can't send a love letter? I've read on other threads that some schools will send you to the bottom of the waitlist if you send things they've told you that they don't want. What is the feeling at Geisel? Will the LOI help me or destroy me?
2) Does anyone know if Geisel is one of those schools where you're "supposed" to follow up with your interviewer to "show interest"? (I'm talking outside of thank you notes). For other schools I've heard people talk about "Letting their interviewer know about their interest" when they are waitlisted.
GAH. A year into this and I still don't know how it works.
Thanks in advance!
Sorry, I don't know too much about the wait list. The people in admissions are very nice and I would highly doubt that a LOI would hurt you. It also wouldn't surprise me if sending an LOI helped a little bit (if you mean it): they want people who want to be here and the wait list is unranked for the MD program (or has been in the past). Like I said, I don't have inside information about the wait list but if you really want to go to Dartmouth I don't see why you shouldn't send one. If you're really hesitant, you can also just call the admissions office to see if they're okay with these letters and ask anonymously.
Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Sorry, I don't know too much about the wait list. The people in admissions are very nice and I would highly doubt that a LOI would hurt you. It also wouldn't surprise me if sending an LOI helped a little bit (if you mean it): they want people who want to be here and the wait list is unranked for the MD program (or has been in the past). Like I said, I don't have inside information about the wait list but if you really want to go to Dartmouth I don't see why you shouldn't send one. If you're really hesitant, you can also just call the admissions office to see if they're okay with these letters and ask anonymously.
Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Thank you! That is helpful! I appreciate your reply. 🙂
Late post; Interviewed 1/30, Wait-Listed 4/18. Dartmouth is my first-choice so here's to more waiting.
I spoke with Mr. Welch today and although it was a pleasant conversation, he was not able to offer any indication about wait list movement yet. I didn't ask about the confirmation email; I received a simple "thank you" in response to my email, so I doubt it's important as long as they have your information on file.
Best of luck to us all!
I spoke with Mr. Welch today and although it was a pleasant conversation, he was not able to offer any indication about wait list movement yet. I didn't ask about the confirmation email; I received a simple "thank you" in response to my email, so I doubt it's important as long as they have your information on file.
Best of luck to us all!
You, me, and my family both. If this is going to happen the more time I have to plan a move completely across the country the better.The uncertainty is killing me....
Same! 9ish days though, eh?You, me, and my family both. If this is going to happen the more time I have to plan a move completely across the country the better.
Hold Strong my Sisters and Brothers!!!Same! 9ish days though, eh?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just withdrew my acceptance here. Good luck to everyone on the wait list! Hope y'all see some movement soon.
Have fun at USC!!Just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck waitlistees. I'm rooting for ya'll
C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!!!Have fun at USC!!
Quick
edit: thank you in advance
somebody else withdraw🙂 hahaC-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!!!
edit: thank you in advance
Last edited:
Quick somebody else withdraw🙂 haha
edit: thank you in advance
LOL I love how you edited my username out of this post! Don't worry, it made me chuckle.
With that said, I pulled the trigger today and withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to everyone waiting and to the Geisel Class of 2018!
THANK YOU!!!I withdrew also! Good luck to all of you guys! Rooting for you! 🙂
FEELING THE SAME WAY HERE....Quick
somebody else withdraw🙂 haha
edit: thank you in advance
Just withdrew. Best of luck everyone!!! Good news will be coming your way may 15th, I have no doubt.FEELING THE SAME WAY HERE....
Thanks Dear and good luck in everything.....Just withdrew. Best of luck everyone!!! Good news will be coming your way may 15th, I have no doubt.
Thanks!Just withdrew my acceptance. Best of luck to those waiting!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Seams like a greater number of withdraws this year, at least ones that have been posted to SDN, compared to previous years. Or is it just me doing a bit of wishful thinking?
OMG i think you right. I am jumping for joy
D-day approaches!! D-day meaning dartmouth-day
I think I've seen more withdrawals than those intending to matriculate here than my other WL schools, as well as more than in previous years threads! Hope that bodes well for us WLers![]()
OMG i think you right. I am jumping for joy
I know! Also, I feel like we've got quite the little quorum of Geisel Groupies on here! Hopefully we'll all find ourselves in Hanover in August! Fingers crossed for everyone!
I cannot wait....Keeping my fingers crossed...I know! Also, I feel like we've got quite the little quorum of Geisel Groupies on here! Hopefully we'll all find ourselves in Hanover in August! Fingers crossed for everyone!
Thought this might be appropriate for those of us on the waiting list (with a little editing)...
Thought this might be appropriate for those of us on the waiting list (with a little editing)...
View attachment 181251
Well done.
The sad truth is (I think) it makes it more expensive 🙁 less schollies for wait-listers, n' all .....Thought this might be appropriate for those of us on the waiting list (with a little editing)...
View attachment 181251
The sad truth is (I think) it makes it more expensive 🙁 less schollies for wait-listers, n' all .....
Does Dartmouth even do scholarships? I thought it was all need-based
Good point. But does it truly not matter when you're accepted? (in terms of cost)Does Dartmouth even do scholarships? I thought it was all need-based
Good point. But does it truly not matter when you're accepted? (in terms of cost)
Beats me! I'll cry about the cost once I get that acceptance lol
You gotta believe...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's may 15th, where my acceptance at?!
LOL.. same here?It's may 15th, where my acceptance at?!
The number of people that are probably on the waitlist scares me. No one's said theyve been rejected...
I was rejected! If it makes you feel any better haha...
I was rejected! If it makes you feel any better haha...
Post interview? Sorry, I do not mean to rub it in
