-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Eastern Virginia Medical School
Started by Tots
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That sounds like something worth calling the admissions office about. Dunno if anyone on here will have a definite answer for you. Call them ASAP on Monday if you think the deadline will be a deal-breaker for your application.Anyone? Do essays and all LORs need to be in within 30 days of receiving secondary invite? please...still waiting for LOR from one professor. 30 days almost up.
What have you guys written about your reasons for applying to EVMS? I'm having trouble finding a few unique things to comment on about their school.
I know they participate in the Remote Area Clinic...
I know they participate in the Remote Area Clinic...
What have you guys written about your reasons for applying to EVMS? I'm having trouble finding a few unique things to comment on about their school.
I know they participate in the Remote Area Clinic...
They're very community-based so if you have any ties to the area or if you have a history of or interest in service, that could tie you to their goals.
IDK if this has been touched on before, but I know EVMS is OOS friendly about 50%, but I also saw they have a post-grad linkage program, do you think a lot of those OOS spots are filled by those post-bac/grad/masters kids that go through EVMS>
Thoughts?
Thoughts?
IDK if this has been touched on before, but I know EVMS is OOS friendly about 50%, but I also saw they have a post-grad linkage program, do you think a lot of those OOS spots are filled by those post-bac/grad/masters kids that go through EVMS>
Thoughts?
yes. they typically pull people who are in their post-bac programs off the WL first. Last two years 90+% of the students in their programs have been offered acceptance off the WL.
Does that mean it is not worth applying OOS. if you competing with them? or is it just WL competition
Does that mean it is not worth applying OOS. if you competing with them? or is it just WL competition
It depends. I think most OOS interviewers get put in the top1/3 of the WL. After they offer acceptances to all their post bac students then they offer acceptances to regular admission students.
It depends. I think most OOS interviewers get put in the top1/3 of the WL. After they offer acceptances to all their post bac students then they offer acceptances to regular admission students.
I am assuming you mean that they get put in the top third if they aren't just accepted?
I am assuming you mean that they get put in the top third if they aren't just accepted?
yes. if you don't get accepted right away and are put on the WL ur chances aren't the greatest.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, do you mind sharing your stats? I'm working on the essays right now in advance of actually receiving the secondary... pretty long app.
Questionnnnn.....my school doesnt give premed advising committee LOR, so i provided three letters of recommendation. one of them is from a principle investigator from a lab i worked in. since he's not part of a college (his lab is part of nih), what do i write down for college/department for him in the secondaries? i was just gonna put down nih for college, and then name of the branch his lab is a part of at nih....do you guys think thats ok?
http://www.evms.edu/education/doctoral_programs/doctor_of_medicine/doctor_of_medicine/Questionnnnn.....my school doesnt give premed advising committee LOR, so i provided three letters of recommendation. one of them is from a principle investigator from a lab i worked in. since he's not part of a college (his lab is part of nih), what do i write down for college/department for him in the secondaries? i was just gonna put down nih for college, and then name of the branch his lab is a part of at nih....do you guys think thats ok?
Individual letters from two science and one non-science faculty are required.
The reason they ask for "college/department" on the secondary is because your recommenders have to be faculty from a college, specifically your college. The NIH is not a college. Call EVMS and confirm that you even meet the LOR requirements. This will be $100 down the tube for you if you submit and they can't even review your app because you don't have the right letters.
Hey, do you mind sharing your stats? I'm working on the essays right now in advance of actually receiving the secondary... pretty long app.
Sure, OOS 3.6/34
Hey, do you mind sharing your stats? I'm working on the essays right now in advance of actually receiving the secondary... pretty long app.
I received a secondary as well OOS. My stats are within their range but nothing crazy good. My MDapps is accurate if you want to look. I have lived in DC for the past 2 years so not IS but close.
Rejected pre-secondary. OOS. Disappointed. 🙁
Rejected pre-secondary. OOS. Disappointed. 🙁
Would you mind stating your stats?
How much did you guys write for the "briefly describe your exposure to medicine prompt?" I am assuming they just want some basic information (not a narrative display as with the other prompts)? So i'm thinking this should be short and simple?
I used 1800 characters for mine. I wrote two paragraphs in a semi-narrative form (Listed out activities and wrote about why they were important to me).
Just another reason why EVMS is so awesome! This was the welcoming video for the incoming class of 2017. A parody of Macklemore, Can't Hold Us. For lyrics turn on captions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6HBAK1MPBY
Good luck to everyone applying!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6HBAK1MPBY
Good luck to everyone applying!
Just another reason why EVMS is so awesome! This was the welcoming video for the incoming class of 2017. A parody of Macklemore, Can't Hold Us. For lyrics turn on captions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6HBAK1MPBY
Good luck to everyone applying!
I usually have a low tolerance for that type of stuff, but even that made me smile. 👍
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Am I reading this correctly? So if you need to take the MCAT in 2013 if applying in 2014 to be considered??
EVMS will only consider MCAT scores from exams taken within two years prior to the application date. We will accept MCAT scores from exams taken from January 2011 through September 2013. The January 2014 MCAT will be considered for wait-listed applicants only.
EVMS will only consider MCAT scores from exams taken within two years prior to the application date. We will accept MCAT scores from exams taken from January 2011 through September 2013. The January 2014 MCAT will be considered for wait-listed applicants only.
Am I reading this correctly? So if you need to take the MCAT in 2013 if applying in 2014 to be considered??
EVMS will only consider MCAT scores from exams taken within two years prior to the application date. We will accept MCAT scores from exams taken from January 2011 through September 2013. The January 2014 MCAT will be considered for wait-listed applicants only.
I'm pretty sure this is referring to those applying this cycle
Am I reading this correctly? So if you need to take the MCAT in 2013 if applying in 2014 to be considered??
EVMS will only consider MCAT scores from exams taken within two years prior to the application date. We will accept MCAT scores from exams taken from January 2011 through September 2013. The January 2014 MCAT will be considered for wait-listed applicants only.
That's pretty typical. In fact, most MD schools won't take a Jan 2014 or later MCAT at all if you are applying to start school in 2014. Hope this doesn't get you in a bind.
That's pretty typical. In fact, most MD schools won't take a Jan 2014 or later MCAT at all if you are applying to start school in 2014. Hope this doesn't get you in a bind.
How would that make any sense? Wouldn't that force many students to wait an extra year then to take it? Why would they even be administering the 2014 MCAT then if it was invalid?
Am I reading this correctly? So if you need to take the MCAT in 2013 if applying in 2014 to be considered??
EVMS will only consider MCAT scores from exams taken within two years prior to the application date. We will accept MCAT scores from exams taken from January 2011 through September 2013. The January 2014 MCAT will be considered for wait-listed applicants only.
It means you cannot take the MCAT in 2014 if you are applying this application cycle. This is because most schools have secondary application submission deadlines around Nov. - Jan. They are saying they won't wait around for your scores that long. They do applicants who are wait listed a favor by allowing them to submit 2014 scores if they want to retake it in hopes of rocking it and convincing the adcom to accept them. This is very rare and EVMS is the only school I've heard of that will do this.
Last edited:
Interview invite just now! Complete early July 🙂
Interview invitation here as well! Complete on 7/3, OOS. Thank you, EVMS!!
They make you call to schedule your interview, and as I was saying "How about Friday the 13th?," it dawned on me that it's... Friday the 13th. Eep.
They make you call to schedule your interview, and as I was saying "How about Friday the 13th?," it dawned on me that it's... Friday the 13th. Eep.
Interview invite just now as well. I picked the first Friday available, which as you mentioned is Friday the 13th haha
IS 3.6/34, complete 7/16
IS 3.6/34, complete 7/16
hey just got an II as well! my first one! 3.5/31 OOS
I have some questions about the school - what kind of area is it in? rural or suburban or urban? is it a fun environment? any input from current students?
I have some questions about the school - what kind of area is it in? rural or suburban or urban? is it a fun environment? any input from current students?
hey just got an II as well! my first one! 3.5/31 OOS
I have some questions about the school - what kind of area is it in? rural or suburban or urban? is it a fun environment? any input from current students?
Congrats!! When were you complete?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats on the II guys!
Did they e-mail you or was it reflected on the page you see after you login?
My app was complete in late July so hopefully I hear back in a couple of weeks with an II. Crossing my fingers because EVMS is a great school.
E-mail. Then you call to schedule the interview.
They email you - The page you log into never changes, even after you receive an II.
Congrats!! When were you complete?
I am not sure when, but I turned in the secondary the day i received it.
To answer a few questions-
1) If you are at the average stats and OOS- I'd suggest applying. EVMS is very community service oriented and may overlook borderline stats for individuals with high levels of extracurricular activities that are related to the community.
2) EVMS is located in Norfolk, VA. It is a small city / suburb location all close together. The campus is rather small and safe, but there are sketch areas in the city a few miles away.
As a current M1, I suggest focusing your secondaries to highlight community service experiences and looking into EVMS's strong points including its standardized patient programs.
1) If you are at the average stats and OOS- I'd suggest applying. EVMS is very community service oriented and may overlook borderline stats for individuals with high levels of extracurricular activities that are related to the community.
2) EVMS is located in Norfolk, VA. It is a small city / suburb location all close together. The campus is rather small and safe, but there are sketch areas in the city a few miles away.
As a current M1, I suggest focusing your secondaries to highlight community service experiences and looking into EVMS's strong points including its standardized patient programs.
To answer a few questions-
1) If you are at the average stats and OOS- I'd suggest applying. EVMS is very community service oriented and may overlook borderline stats for individuals with high levels of extracurricular activities that are related to the community.
2) EVMS is located in Norfolk, VA. It is a small city / suburb location all close together. The campus is rather small and safe, but there are sketch areas in the city a few miles away.
As a current M1, I suggest focusing your secondaries to highlight community service experiences and looking into EVMS's strong points including its standardized patient programs.
Does it feel small and are you originally from a very large metro? The metro area population (~1.7 million) is as large as Nashville and larger than New Orleans for example. I am really curious about the area....Hampton Roads seems like an interesting urban amalgamation.
I ask those two question because oftentimes people from LA, Chicago, or NYC think a large city is small just because they have very different perspectives.