2013-2014 Eastern Virginia Medical School

Started by Tots
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
rejected post - interview, OOS. A little surprised as I thought interview went well, maybe they thought I wasn't a good fit. Good luck everybody!

Was it via email? When did you interview if you don't mind me asking?
 
Reading everyone's post is making me so anxious! I was complete 9/11 and haven't recived an interview invite yet. I just keep checking my email multiple times a day.
Don't worry! I completed late August, but I received an II yesterday!
Although I do believe I got lucky. A scheduled interviewee canceled for next Wed, so they asked me if I could come in, which is amazing because for some reason they couldn't find my file for a while.
The phone call came ~5pm as an Unknown caller so if you ever happen to see one pop up on your phone, don't ignore it!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just filled out my secondary. Hopefully, I didn't wait too long. Last year I submitted it on 10/26 and didn't get an interview. This year, I am filling it in a week earlier. The only major difference between this year and last year is that I have been working as an EMT for over a year now. We will see if that makes a difference... I am IS, but I read that EVMS gives 75% of its in-state slots to people in Southeastern Virginia, and I am in Northern Virginia.
 
Just filled out my secondary. Hopefully, I didn't wait too long. Last year I submitted it on 10/26 and didn't get an interview. This year, I am filling it in a week earlier. The only major difference between this year and last year is that I have been working as an EMT for over a year now. We will see if that makes a difference... I am IS, but I read that EVMS gives 75% of its in-state slots to people in Southeastern Virginia, and I am in Northern Virginia.

Just be cautious - EMT is more Pre-hospital care and from my experience med schools aren't really impressed, unfortunately. It is more of an entry level to fire or paramedic. Been working as an EMT for 7 years from highschool and throughout college (mainly as a source of income, and I'm not expecting it to give me the upper hand). If you can, try to go Critcal Care EMT, which would allow you to work with nurses and docs as opposed to fire and PD. But regardless, so long as you submitted an app you still got a chance!👍
 
Waitlisted. Does anybody know generally how many students are accepted off the waitlist? I saw on the thread last year the waitlist is ranked upper, middle, and lower third. The office didn't mention my ranking.
Got official waitlist notice by snail mail. Hope there's waitlist movement this year.
 
ACCEPTED!!

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I actually called recently but they haven't reached a decision yet. I just want to avoid calling too often 😛

I waited two full weeks and they had a decision. Did you call yesterday? I believe they have committee meetings on Mondays so to be safe just wait until Friday and call.
 
I received my complete application email on September 17 and haven't heard anything since then. What do you guys think about me calling and seeing whats going on. Anyone else complete that long and still waiting for an ii.
 
I received my complete application email on September 17 and haven't heard anything since then. What do you guys think about me calling and seeing whats going on. Anyone else complete that long and still waiting for an ii.

Complete 11 Sep and nothing.
 
I received my complete application email on September 17 and haven't heard anything since then. What do you guys think about me calling and seeing whats going on. Anyone else complete that long and still waiting for an ii.

Haha yuppp, I've been complete since 7/24 and have not heard a peep since then.
 
EVMS was the first application I submitted but was the last school to send me an complete email. They just move a little slower than other schools. Just be patient =). I know it's hard.
 
I called the admissions office to ask if they had student hosting. The first lady was extremely rude, then directed me to someone else. For those wondering, they do not have student hosting available.

I cannot afford to stay in a hotel so I will be withdrawing my interview spot. Good luck to everyone else
 
Last edited:
I submitted 8/24 and still haven't gotten a complete email... thinking it might be a silent rejection. :/ I might as well just call anyways and see if there's any chance.
 
I called the admissions office to ask if they had student hosting. The first lady was extremely rude, then directed me to someone else. For those wondering, they do not have student hosting available.

I cannot afford to stay in a hotel so I will be withdrawing my interview spot. Good luck to everyone else

I'm not sure what you can and cannot afford but the school has set up discounts with hotels in the area so it only cost me $100.
 
I called the admissions office to ask if they had student hosting. The first lady was extremely rude, then directed me to someone else. For those wondering, they do not have student hosting available.

I cannot afford to stay in a hotel so I will be withdrawing my interview spot. Good luck to everyone else

The $100 for a hotel is a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of medical school applications and future cost of attendance. Might want to consider taking out a loan or getting a credit card, unless you're really just not interested in attending EVMS.
 
The $100 for a hotel is a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of medical school applications and future cost of attendance. Might want to consider taking out a loan or getting a credit card, unless you're really just not interested in attending EVMS.

Yea I know it isn't much money in the scheme of things. But I have an acceptance that I am happy with, and have gotten bad vibes from the admissions department each time I have called. I am still trying to justify withdrawing, which is hard to do.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yea I know it isn't much money in the scheme of things. But I have an acceptance that I am happy with, and have gotten bad vibes from the admissions department each time I have called. I am still trying to justify withdrawing, which is hard to do.

If you've already got an acceptance you're happy with, then I understand saving the money. Congrats!
 
I submitted 8/24 and still haven't gotten a complete email... thinking it might be a silent rejection. :/ I might as well just call anyways and see if there's any chance.

I submitted my secondary on 29 Aug and haven't received a complete email or status.
 
I submitted my secondary on 29 Aug and haven't received a complete email or status.

I submitted my secondary 9/1 and received a complete email on 10/1, however: logging onto their website informs me that my application has not been completed yet. 😕
 
I called in today, but no decision yet for me. I interviewed 10/9. Will probably have to wait until next week before a decision.
 
Haha yuppp, I've been complete since 7/24 and have not heard a peep since then.

Me either same complete date...was complete last cycle about the same and never heard anything straight through to April when they told me interviews were over for this year so could be a long haul just try and be patient I spose.
 
For those who chose a hotel from the list provided: any suggestions as to which would be the best/cheapest? I need to make my reservation ASAP.

Also, any place I can find out more about what to expect from the interview itself?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This morning, I was so excited to see that I have a call from an "unknown" caller. I soon realized it was not EVMS but a phone commercial. Very disappointed but still hopeful =)
 
Just a few questions if anyone doesn't mind answering 🙂 So they notify you by snail mail after your interview, right? By how many weeks? But you can call for the decision after 3 weeks has passed, right? Will they tell you if you are rejected?
 
Just a few questions if anyone doesn't mind answering 🙂 So they notify you by snail mail after your interview, right? By how many weeks? But you can call for the decision after 3 weeks has passed, right? Will they tell you if you are rejected?

I believe they said the committee meets every 1st and 3rd monday of the month. So you should call after those mondays 🙂