You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Johns Hopkins University Application Thread
Started by JJMrK
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Congrats! Those are pretty strict conditions though. When were you complete?
July 11 2013
Are you guys going to the "informal get-together" the day before (Thursday)?
Yep planning to. Going to have plan travelling well though since I have a few classes on Thursday...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats! Those are pretty strict conditions though. When were you complete?
I received the complete E-mail on 7/23.
Are you guys going to the "informal get-together" the day before (Thursday)?
YES! 😍 Definitely will see you there. I'm still in shock. The subject line of the e-mail was "Interview INFORMATION", so I was sure the "information" was going to be not getting an interview haha.
The subject line of the e-mail was "Interview INFORMATION", so I was sure the "information" was going to be not getting an interview haha.
Haha, classic. I just saw the word "Interview" and got a heart attack. 🙂
I'll see you all that Thursday (or Friday!)
Wow congrats everyone, looks like they're getting started early this year!
Just to let you guys know I couldn't make my original interview date that they assigned to me last year, so I requested a reschedule. I didn't put any specifics down in the email request, so the next email I received was an assignment to another randomly chosen date, which thankfully I could barely make. I was told that this was my "locked-in" interview date and wouldn't be able to change it. So if you're going to request a different interview date, you can only do it once and you should try to make sure they give you a date you can make!
Just to let you guys know I couldn't make my original interview date that they assigned to me last year, so I requested a reschedule. I didn't put any specifics down in the email request, so the next email I received was an assignment to another randomly chosen date, which thankfully I could barely make. I was told that this was my "locked-in" interview date and wouldn't be able to change it. So if you're going to request a different interview date, you can only do it once and you should try to make sure they give you a date you can make!
Wow congrats everyone. I'm not sure how I would react if I got an II from here. 20% chance of a heart attack.
Those of you who got IIs, stats please?
Those of you who got IIs, stats please?
Wow congrats everyone. I'm not sure how I would react if I got an II from here. 20% chance of a heart attack.
Those of you who got IIs, stats please?
+1 would be on the floor
I got an interview last week. I will be there for the 9/6 slot.
does anyone know what they mean specifically by the "not in majority" and "adversity" essays? This will be my 9th secondary I've done today and I can't figure out what they want to hear, or how I would fit it in 900 characters.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
does anyone know what they mean specifically by the "not in majority" and "adversity" essays? This will be my 9th secondary I've done today and I can't figure out what they want to hear, or how I would fit it in 900 characters.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
Did you vote for Romney? That could work for the first one.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did you vote for Romney? That could work for the first one.
I don't think they want to hear about making bad decisions

Congrats on the Interview invites! Just to clarify, you can request a different interview date if what they assign doesn't work for you, but it's better to ask for a specific date rather than leaving it to them to pick a new one for you, because at that point it'll be your "locked in" date. If you have time, go to the get-together the night before. It's informal, and you get to ask any question you want without worrying about your chance of acceptance. Since you guys are got the first batch of interview invites, your acceptance chance is pretty high, so keep that in mind also.
Congrats on the Interview invites! Just to clarify, you can request a different interview date if what they assign doesn't work for you, but it's better to ask for a specific date rather than leaving it to them to pick a new one for you, because at that point it'll be your "locked in" date. If you have time, go to the get-together the night before. It's informal, and you get to ask any question you want without worrying about your chance of acceptance. Since you guys are got the first batch of interview invites, your acceptance chance is pretty high, so keep that in mind also.
Thanks for the info! Are you a JHU medical student?
How long did it take everyone to get the complete email? I just got mine this morning and I submitted my secondary and paid on 7/31. Is that long of a gap common?
I submitted July 25 and was complete Aug 6, so I had quite a long gap, as well.
I submitted July 25 and was complete Aug 6, so I had quite a long gap, as well.
Exact same dates here too.
Exact same dates here too.
I've seen you all over the place! I'm guessing we're applying to many of the same schools. Best of luck, maybe I'll run into you on the interview trail

I've seen you all over the place! I'm guessing we're applying to many of the same schools. Best of luck, maybe I'll run into you on the interview trail![]()
I notice your penguin every time too. It's definitely possible we could run into each other! Good luck to you too!
psh Hopkins is overrated
Yeah, well, that's just like your opinion, man.
Do character limits for the essay prompts include spaces?
Thanks
Thanks
Do character limits for the essay prompts include spaces?
Thanks
Yes
Are we only allowed to stay with a student host for one night?? See you guys soon! So excited!
You can try asking your host if he/she is willing to host you for another night. I actually stayed with my host for 2 nights because my flight didn't leave until the day after my interview. Just keep in mind that medical students can be really busy, and they are under no obligation to host you for an extra night (or the first night even), so I suggest you ask your host for it as soon as you could, so that he/she can arrange the place ahead of time.
Is the student host link working for anyone?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the prompt:
"List any academic honors or awards you have received since entering college. (600 characters)"
Do you literally just LIST these awards?
Most of them were detailed on my primary, so I wouldn't be surprised. But, I don't want to provide a skeleton list if they want details about what each award was for (though most of them are self explanatory via their title).
Thanks!
"List any academic honors or awards you have received since entering college. (600 characters)"
Do you literally just LIST these awards?
Most of them were detailed on my primary, so I wouldn't be surprised. But, I don't want to provide a skeleton list if they want details about what each award was for (though most of them are self explanatory via their title).
Thanks!
For the prompt:
"List any academic honors or awards you have received since entering college. (600 characters)"
Do you literally just LIST these awards?
Most of them were detailed on my primary, so I wouldn't be surprised. But, I don't want to provide a skeleton list if they want details about what each award was for (though most of them are self explanatory via their title).
Thanks!
I literally just listed them out on mine. By the time I listed all the important ones, I didn't have much of a chance to explain anything about them. I'm not to sure what the reasoning is behind asking us to re-state stuff that was already made available on amcas but oh well
I literally just listed them out on mine. By the time I listed all the important ones, I didn't have much of a chance to explain anything about them. I'm not to sure what the reasoning is behind asking us to re-state stuff that was already made available on amcas but oh well
True true - after writing them out I only had like 150 characters left. Thanks!
Interview invite this evening!!! Freaking out! Secondary submitted 7/25, interview on 9/13.
Complete: 8/14/13
Interview Invite: 8/22/13
Congrats on the II and on the swift turnaround time!!
Hopefully that doesn't mean they passed over the rest of us lol
Congrats on the II and on the swift turnaround time!!
Hopefully that doesn't mean they passed over the rest of us lol
I completed the actual secondary in July but I was marked as complete on that date.
+1 would be on the floor
Interview invite!!!!
(falls on floor)
Complete 8/13 or so
Interview invite!!!!
(falls on floor)
Complete 8/13 or so
When do you interview?
Interview invite!!!!
(falls on floor)
Complete 8/13 or so
Blood of my blood!
new to sdn - but I think +1 is the right term!Interview invite!!!!
(falls on floor)
Complete 8/13 or so
Last edited:
At the top of the page, right above the first comment, there's a "Search this Thread" drop down. I typed "Reject," "Rejected," and "Rejection" into it, with no results. Hope this tip helps you navigate SDN a bit more easily.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry if I have missed it, but has JH sent out any rejections yet?
From what I remember, Hopkins doesn't send any rejection until way later. You can check last year thread to see when they start rejecting people.
Interview Invite this afternoon! Complete 7-30. Assigned 9/20 as my interview date
Is the "Thanks you for your application!" email the complete email, or is there one that specifically says "complete"?
bump?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
