2013-2014 Louisiana State University - Shreveport Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Called Ms. Hatcher and she said they want letter grades. Also they have only sent out the secondary to EDP students.

Oh good to know so I don't need to panic yet! Thank you! :)

Do any of you EDP-ers mind posting your stats? I was wondering what range of stats are considered competitive for EDP to LSU-S. Just asking out of curiosity since I've already applied for regular decision this cycle! :)

Members don't see this ad.

According to twitter there's no hard cut off for EDP stats.

According to twitter there's no hard cut off for EDP stats.

Nothing to write home stat-wise.. fairly average, but I have a lot of clinical experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed Ms. Hatcher about the confusing first line, and this was her response:

I knew there would be some things a little off with this method of getting the forms in.
"Answer with “X” if you have NOT applied to medical school before: ____ YES ____NO"
Disregard the NOT….and proceed to answer the question with yes or no.

Should have read:
Answer with “X”: Have you have applied to medical school before: ____ YES ____NO
Will change it on form. Only EARLY DECISION APPLICANTS will be receiving this form.

Thank you,
Ms. Hatcher

I thought those questions were a mind game to get us to pay more attention. Ha.

I'm still confused as to how to do the grades. A friend of mine just attached a list of courses and grades/credit hours to the back of the form and sent hers in like that. It's a little ridiculous, the way they have it set up.

Oh good to know so I don't need to panic yet! Thank you! :)

Do any of you EDP-ers mind posting your stats? I was wondering what range of stats are considered competitive for EDP to LSU-S. Just asking out of curiosity since I've already applied for regular decision this cycle! :)

My stats aren't so special: 3.5 GPA, 29 MCAT. But I do have a lot more clinical and volunteer experience than I did last year. Hopefully that helps.

I'm not entirely sure for that. I would call admissions.

I'm still confused as to how to do the grades. A friend of mine just attached a list of courses and grades/credit hours to the back of the form and sent hers in like that. It's a little ridiculous, the way they have it set up.

I called and they told me if adding credits and letter grades made the application longer it's okay. They said they prefer letter grades, but whatever made me "most comfortable" was fine... It was very vague again. It'd be nice if amcas was utilized a little more.

Not complaining though, willing to jump through whatever hoop I need to.

I think I may just do what your friend did and attach a list of classes I've taken and grades for all the science courses I have taken.

Last edited:
Secondary sent. Back to waiting again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea when status updates will be sent? I'm fairly sure I'm complete, but I'm paranoid about them knowing I am. :/

Any idea when status updates will be sent? I'm fairly sure I'm complete, but I'm paranoid about them knowing I am. :/

I am right there with you! I got an email letting me know they had my packet, but that's it so far.

When do interview invites start being sent out for EDP?

When do interview invites start being sent out for EDP?

according to the thread from last year, they came out August 17th...

So maybe the 16th this year... They seem to be oddly consistent for the days of the week things are released.

Anyone brave enough to call/email about status updates?

Do we know when the committee will start meeting yet too?

I would guess it would be sometime after August 1st, theres no point in them meeting until after the deadline...

I really want to call to find out when they're going to deposit that secondary app check. But I've already contacted Ms Hatcher twice, so I don't want to seem like I'm bothering her. If it gets to be August and they haven't said anything I'll call and ask about when we should hear about secondary statuses.

So we have from August 17 to late September to interview, and if we hear nothing back that means we've been dropped to the regular applicant pool? Or do they contact us and tell us we have not been accepted? Has anyone ever heard of someone being flat-out rejected when they applied EDP?

I'm so anxious about this. REALLY don't want to bother with applying to more schools in October. But I know Shreveport is getting more and more competitive because of the acceptance practices at Tulane and New Orleans.

Well.. If you're not selected for an interview, you will get a letter in August/early September releasing you from EDP but retaining you for regular admissions.

But I know Shreveport is getting more and more competitive because of the acceptance practices at Tulane and New Orleans.

Just curious, what does this mean? Would you mind elaborating?

Regular Decision people finally got the secondaries!! :)

Got a secondary here but haven't taken mcat. Is this pretty usual considering I meet the minimal gpa requirement?

are the secondaries for regular decision different than those for early?

Hmm...no status update here. Has anyone else gotten an email with a status update?

Just curious, what does this mean? Would you mind elaborating?

These are the rumors, so take it with a grain of salt...

Tulane will not look at applications with a MCAT of under 30. They will send you a secondary and take your money, but they won't consider your file for admissions.

New Orleans, on the other hand, favors people with ties to the school (e.g., child of alumni).

These are the rumors, so take it with a grain of salt...

Tulane will not look at applications with a MCAT of under 30. They will send you a secondary and take your money, but they won't consider your file for admissions.

New Orleans, on the other hand, favors people with ties to the school (e.g., child of alumni).

Interesting, has Shreveport traditionally been less competitive to get into than New Orleans? (excluding Tulane, Tulane is drawing from a totally different application pool from what I understand).

Interesting, has Shreveport traditionally been less competitive to get into than New Orleans? (excluding Tulane, Tulane is drawing from a totally different application pool from what I understand).

Yes, Shreveport has been traditionally less competitive. New Orleans has better programs, and plus, Shreveport is more selective about the in-state residency so the pool of candidates is smaller.

And let's not forget New Orleans is in New Orleans.

Also related: Tulane's match is pretty much on par with LSU New Orlean's match. For in-staters, why pay 56k when one can get a comparable education for under 20k? Silly.

Yes, Shreveport has been traditionally less competitive. New Orleans has better programs, and plus, Shreveport is more selective about the in-state residency so the pool of candidates is smaller.

And let's not forget New Orleans is in New Orleans.

Also related: Tulane's match is pretty much on par with LSU New Orlean's match. For in-staters, why pay 52k when one can get a comparable education for under 20k? Silly.

I agree with the Tulane point. As for who has a better program, I hope you brought your flame suit to this thread. Good luck with that. :thumbup:

I've got no horse in that race, I'm applying ED to New Orleans, it was a matter of logistics for me.

Still havent heard anything yet either

Hey so I am a first year at LSUHSC shreveport, I just went through this application process, and SDN was super helpful. I thought I would pay it forward, so if you have any questions just PM me.

Still no status update. I'm kind of regretting not calling.

In the secondary emails for regular decision it says that they would begin emailing status updates on August 8. Not sure if that's just for regular decision or for everyone but I hope that helps for anyone who's been worrying about not getting one!

In the secondary emails for regular decision it says that they would begin emailing status updates on August 8. Not sure if that's just for regular decision or for everyone but I hope that helps for anyone who's been worrying about not getting one!

It does! Thanks! I was really starting to get concerned. They at least deposited that secondary check, so that's good news. But I've still been pulling my hair out waiting for any word from them.

Just recieved a status update email from Shreveport. They must have started emailing them today.

anyone recieved a complete email yet?

I got a status email today saying everything was in and that my application was under consideration for an interview.

Did they change the secondary for regular decision applicants? There isn't a course section on my secondary - it seems to be replaced with a diversity question.

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. Applied EDP, received a status update today that said complete, and application under consideration for possible interview. Currently enrolled at Mississippi College Medical Masters Program. Good luck to everyone applying this year!
Excited to get this process going!

Did they change the secondary for regular decision applicants? There isn't a course section on my secondary - it seems to be replaced with a diversity question.

mine was like this too. I'm pretty sure its different that ED

Maybe I'm crazy, but, based off of previous years, I think the committee meets today.