2017-2018 Louisiana State University - Shreveport

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Lets get this party started !!!! @gyngyn

And just like that My AMCAS is submitted, here goes nothing

Members don't see this ad :)
And just like that My AMCAS is submitted, here goes nothing

I submitted mine right at 8:30, too! Good luck! Do you know when to expect secondaries for ED?

I submitted mine right at 8:30, too! Good luck! Do you know when to expect secondaries for ED?
Judging from last years Secondaries I wouldn't expect them for 2-3 weeks :/

Applicants last year didn't receive theirs until July 1st. I also downloaded the AAMC medical school guide and it said that LSUS doesn't review apps until July 3rd this year, so I'm assuming they'll be sent out around then.

Reactions: 1 users
So I saw on the website that Shreveport participates in the AMCAS letter writing service now. I had my letter writers send the letters to AMCAS but when I go to attach them to LSU Shreveport its not an option. Anyone know whats up?

So I saw on the website that Shreveport participates in the AMCAS letter writing service now. I had my letter writers send the letters to AMCAS but when I go to attach them to LSU Shreveport its not an option. Anyone know whats up?

It may not be up until they actually send out secondaries, but that's just a guess. But it is nice to see them change and finally use AMCAS for letters.

It may not be up until they actually send out secondaries, but that's just a guess. But it is nice to see them change and finally use AMCAS for letters.
Hopefully that's it, and I know right? It makes it a little easier to keep up with all the letters that way for sure!

Hopefully that's it, and I know right? It makes it a little easier to keep up with all the letters that way for sure!
From what I understand, the AAMC letter service that they participate in is only for the residency programs. From their website, if you look at the section below, it says something about submitting letters through VirtualEvals. I may be wrong, but that's the impression I had after reading it.

From what I understand, the AAMC letter service that they participate in is only for the residency programs. From their website, if you look at the section below, it says something about submitting letters through VirtualEvals. I may be wrong, but that's the impression I had after reading it.

Their website has the AMCAS Letter Service listed on the medical school admissions page. It does mention VirtualEvals but under that section is says they take letters from AMCAS, from direct mailing, and from VirtualEvals.

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone else going through the review committee at LSU for ED? If so, have you gotten a confirmation email that your packet was submitted to Shreveport?

Their website has the AMCAS Letter Service listed on the medical school admissions page. It does mention VirtualEvals but under that section is says they take letters from AMCAS, from direct mailing, and from VirtualEvals.
You can assign letters to Shreveport now through AMCAS. I guess it was updated recently. Just in case anyone else was wondering!

Members don't see this ad :)
You can assign letters to Shreveport now through AMCAS. I guess it was updated recently. Just in case anyone else was wondering!
Glad to see the change. However, much more grateful that LOR are still being accepted by direct mail..... As I have already submitted formal requests for letters with specific instructions on having them direct mailed to Kennedy...... that was a scare for a moment.

Secondaries are up ...

Have they sent out emails yet? I haven't gotten one.
Negative..... Its listed on the website under the requirements section. It states "You may download the Secondary application here"

I have not submitted mine yet as I am still composing it.
It appears very simple in nature.

Negative..... Its listed on the website under the requirements section. It states "You may download the Secondary application here"

I have not submitted mine yet as I am still composing it.
It appears very simple in nature.

Oh yeah, that's always up. I think they're supposed to officially email everyone Monday with a link, which is when I'm planning on sending mine in. It's still the same app though.

Is it true that the secondary app is for Louisiana residents only??? I am in NJ

Last edited:
Is it true that the secondary app is for Louisiana residents only??? I am in NJ

Unfortunately, I believe so.. they generally accept less than 10% out of staters, so I think the idea is that your primary app should defend itself without the secondary. But honestly after seeing the secondary, there's not much that will be changed by it besides a picture.

Unfortunately, I believe so.. they generally accept less than 10% out of staters, so I think the idea is that your primary app should defend itself without the secondary. But honestly after seeing the secondary, there's not much that will be changed by it besides a picture.
Are you 100% sure that there is no secondary for out of state applicants?

Are you 100% sure that there is no secondary for out of state applicants?

According to the FAQ's on this page, yes: FAQ's Secondary Application

But honestly I have seen conflicting information on their website.. for example the FAQ on that link says that secondary apps are to be printed and mailed, but another part of their website says all secondaries are submitted online and will be emailed to you.

(see: Requirements vs the previous link on secondaries)

According to the FAQ's on this page, yes: FAQ's Secondary Application

But honesty I have seen conflicting information on their website.. for example the FAQ on that link says that secondary apps are to be printed and mailed, but another part of their website says all secondaries are submitted online and will be emailed to you.
Exactly that's why i asked if you were 100% sure. Tomorrow i will call the admission office to clear it up. Thank you.

Negative, no emails here

I called them back in May and Dr. Kennedy told me he didn't have a secretary at the time. That may be the hold up with the secondaries. I know last year ED applicants got emailed on July 1. Hopefully we all get something soon!

Last edited:
Has anyone gotten an email yet?
Under the "What's New" tab on their website, it lists the secondary link and says to mail it in. The secondary PDF also has the year 2017 at the bottom, so I'm assuming it's up-to-date and everything.

One of the women who works in the bio office at my school talked to Kennedy via email and he said you should still send your LOR via snail mail. Kennedy is on vacation at the moment. I'm clueless about the secondary issue. I was always under the impression that you have to get invited to fill out a secondary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
One of the women who works in the bio office at my school talked to Kennedy via email and he said you should still send your LOR via snail mail. Kennedy is on vacation at the moment. I'm clueless about the secondary issue. I was always under the impression that you have to get invited to fill out a secondary.

Generally, I like to wait until the email is sent, but with everything due in less than 3 weeks, I think its fine to send it in now. They don't screen AMCAS to decide who gets secondaries anyway, everyone gets the secondary. I feel like the email is just a formality at this point.

Generally, I like to wait until the email is sent, but with everything due in less than 3 weeks, I think its fine to send it in now. They don't screen AMCAS to decide who gets secondaries anyway, everyone gets the secondary. I feel like the email is just a formality at this point.

I completely agree. I would much rather prefer to complete this step of the process in the traditional way. I'll probably submit my secondary a week before the early decision deadline just to be safe.

Under the "What's New" tab on their website, it lists the secondary link and says to mail it in. The secondary PDF also has the year 2017 at the bottom, so I'm assuming it's up-to-date and everything.
yeah, I emailed Kennedy and he told me to get the secondary from the "what's new" link on their website

Reactions: 2 users
Hoping for an email or something today. Getting a little nervous... Hopefully my secondary and everything made it in the mail!

Hoping for an email or something today. Getting a little nervous... Hopefully my secondary and everything made it in the mail!
On the same wave length.... My premonition tells me to not expect anything until the deadline of August 1st passes.

On the same wave length.... My premonition tells me to not expect anything until the deadline of August 1st passes.
That would make sense. I just wish I knew for sure that everything got down there. I'd feel better if my check got deposited I think..

Haven't been able to get ahold of the admissions office at all this week to ask. I wish they would've sent email updates with what they've received...

Haven't been able to get ahold of the admissions office at all this week to ask. I wish they would've sent email updates with what they've received...

I've heard that Dr. Kennedy is pretty swamped from one of my friends in the current M1 class. He hasn't had a secretary since May so the admissions office is pretty backed up right now.

Good luck to everyone applying ED!

Has anyone gotten any sort of notification about ED yet?

Has anyone gotten any sort of notification about ED yet?

Nothing yet. From what I've been told, interviews are usually sent out the 2nd or 3rd week of August.

So is it confirmed that the admissions office does not send out verification that your application has been received?

I wish I knew .... Im fairly certain I'll be applying again next year ..... MCAT turned out lower than what I need. Going to give it a different approach this next time around and test again in Jan.

So is it confirmed that the admissions office does not send out verification that your application has been received?

They have the last two years, but everything is different now without a secretary in the admissions office.

I just called the admissions office to verify that my app and letters had been received. They do have a secretary now, so hopefully we start to get II's soon.

Has anyone received a secondary request or are we just supposed to fill one out and mail it in?

Has anyone received a secondary request or are we just supposed to fill one out and mail it in?

Just fill it out and mail it in and you should be fine. You can call the admissions office to make sure they get it if you want because I'm not sure if they'll be sending out the normal status update emails this year like they have in previous years. They don't screen for secondaries anyway.

For those applying ED, has anyone received an email regarding their scheduled interviews?? I am sure they are working through them now, but I have not heard of anyone who has gotten an email or call yet.

Last edited: